Wonder Lake or Eielson?

PK4SC

Should we take the shuttle all the way to Wonder Lake or just to Eielson VC? We are currently booked on the Eielson Shuttle in mid-July. We are open to going further if it really makes a difference. What has been your experience? Does Wonder Lake make it too long of a day on a bus or are we crazy to not go all the way? Would love to hear your advice on this.:confused:

Just purchase tickets to Eielson. They will offer a "buy up" before the bus departs, at most of the rest stops, and on arrival at Eielson. If the mountain is out or you want to go hiking, consider the extension. If the WX and visibility are poor or they warn about skeeters at Wonder Lake then skip it.

I never go to Wonder Lake in your timeframe, WAY too much of a bug problem. IF you do go, I only recommend you be well prepared, meaning Deet and coverings. I used a bug net and still couldn't wait to get out of there. The 45 min. bus stop is endless.

We were there 2nd week in July last year. When I asked the ranger about bugs, she asked if we were going to Wonder Lake. When I said we were not, she said "You won't be bothered by bugs" :)

PK4SC- Stay cool up there in PMD; we're near the coast in OC and it's supposed to push 100 today!

We booked tix to Wonder Lake for the first day of the season (June 8) - that way we have flexibility to stop early if the mountian isn't out at Eilson (sp?), or if we don't want to deal with bugs - I'm assuming if it's cooler than usual June 8 there may not be bad bugs, but we'll see. For us, we may never come back to Denali so it's worth fighting bugs if it's a once in a lifetime sight- we'll bring repellant and have insectguard outfits and hats as well). We were concerned we may not get the upsell option since it's the first day you can go to Wonder Lake and may have lots of diehards who are going there regardless. One less thing to worry about.

we'll bring repellant and have insectguard outfits and hats as well). .

Sorry, but this "insectguard" attire will be about useless there- if the "treated" stuff. You need to consider 100% Deet, no less. And consider net hats, not sure what your reference for hats is above??

We booked tix to Wonder Lake for the first day of the season (June 8) - that way we have flexibility to stop early if the mountian isn't out at Eilson (sp?), or if we don't want to deal with bugs - I'm assuming if it's cooler than usual June 8 there may not be bad bugs, but we'll see. For us, we may never come back to Denali so it's worth fighting bugs if it's a once in a lifetime sight- we'll bring repellant and have insectguard outfits and hats as well). We were concerned we may not get the upsell option since it's the first day you can go to Wonder Lake and may have lots of diehards who are going there regardless. One less thing to worry about.

Last year June 8 was actually fine bug-wise (due to a cooler spring they said). But be prepared for mosquitoes. And we saw a bear, caribou and moose between Eielson and Wonder Lake.

I would buy the ticket to Wonder Lake. If it was an overcast day, then I would just take a shuttle back from Eilson. If it is a clear day, I would stay on the shuttle and head to Wonder Lake. We were at Wonder Lake on June 28, 2008. Yes, there were a lot of mosquitos, buy maybe I am just more tolerant than other people in that regard. I have been a camper for almost 40 years so have shared my vacations with many mosquitos and biting flies. The mosquitos are much worse here, so it does require being more prepared.

We brought mosquito nets for our heads. Our original plan had been to do a little hiking around the area. However, I had been sick and it was a rain day, so we adjusted our plans. To me, if it is a clear day, I would go all the way to Wonder Lake and have the shuttle driver tell you how to get to Reflection Pond. I would be in long sleeves and long pants with a mosquito net for my head. Having some DEET is also a good idea. Unlike BQ, I do not and will not get to Alaska as often as she does. If this is likely your only opportunity to go to Denali, and you are lucky to have a clear day, I would go all the way to Wonder Lake in spite of the mosquitos. Just be prepared. JMHO.

. And we saw a bear, caribou and moose between Eielson and Wonder Lake.

According to our shuttle driver, who has worked in the park for a number of years, it is rare to see any wildlife between Eilson and Wonder Lake. You were very lucky. We did not see any wildlife in this stretch.

I never go to Wonder Lake in your timeframe, WAY too much of a bug problem. IF you do go, I only recommend you be well prepared, meaning Deet and coverings. I used a bug net and still couldn't wait to get out of there. The 45 min. bus stop is endless.

How bad will the begining of August be?

Archived