Delta $50 second bag charge for international flights

flagger

You want to know something else, we are going to Puerto Rico for our AOS cruise and every time I have to call Delta about a schedule change they consider this an international flight, so I get transferred to international...I cannot believe this...does this mean I fall into the 2nd bag charge for international flights? Sound like a bunch of crap to me!

When I flew Delta last September, I fit everything in one bag ... however, it was 4-1/2 lbs over weight on the way back and they wanted to charge me ($107 I think it was). I was on the floor in front of the counter on my knees moving things from my checked bag into my carry on (not a fun task I might add).

The airlines are now becoming the torture chamber of travel!! No sympathy from the res agent either.:rolleyes:

This is when I decided that formal night was not going to be so formal from now on!

Just returned from a trip to Miami on Delta and my luggage was 10lbs over . . . had to pay $90 plus $15 for checked baggage! :eek: Learned a lesson and will travel lightly on my AOS cruise in July . . . bathing suits, shorts

You want to know something else, we are going to Puerto Rico for our AOS cruise and every time I have to call Delta about a schedule change they consider this an international flight, so I get transferred to international...I cannot believe this...does this mean I fall into the 2nd bag charge for international flights? Sound like a bunch of crap to me!

You better hope so, then you get at least one bag for free! They charge $15 for your FIRST one for domestics!

No, even though you are transferred to the international desk, it's still considered a domestic flight and has those applicable baggage fees:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/baggage_allowance/excess_baggage/index.jsp

You may want to check what the full rule is. We purchased our airfare last year before the checked bag fees came into place with Delta. In small print because we had already purchased our tickets the rule did not apply to us. I printed off their full rule exception just in case they try to charge us.

I would assume this will be the same with this new charge as well.

Just pulled up the story and it says:

"The Delta fee is effective for new bookings starting today for international travel beginning July 1."

As of today for travel after July 1, Delta will now impose a $50 charge for the second bag for international flights.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/delta/stories/2009/04/21/delta_baggage_fee.html

So, ditch the second bag. It really isn't necessary. Travelers in many parts of the world are only allowed one bag, weighing 50 pounds (20 KG) or less, and manage to travel for weeks.

Taking only one bag and a carry-on (not stuffed to excess) makes you much more mobile.

So, ditch the second bag. It really isn't necessary. Travelers in many parts of the world are only allowed one bag, weighing 50 pounds (20 KG) or less, and manage to travel for weeks.
Amen! A second bag really isn't necessary for most trips, at least if you are able to deal with one bag that weighs about 50 lb. (Different if you can't manage anything that heavy and need to split your stuff between two light bags.)

Taking only one bag and a carry-on (not stuffed to excess) makes you much more mobile.

+1

I went on vacation for 3 months last year with one checked bag and that catered for all my clothes for all occasions and climates with the exception of savannah! I don't know why people get so bent out of shape over this.

Hey, it's 22.68 kilos :) Which is why the usual weight allowed is 23 kg. Aso you know, that is a LOT more than many non-U.S. airlines allow (except for flights to North America)... certainly more than is common for intra-European flights.

I've taken 5 non-business round-the-world trips. One with my wife on which we had the "usual" 2 checked bags each (actually, it was 1 for me and 3 for her but who's counting?) On two of the others, I had a small checked bag and a carry-on and of the other two, I had only a carry-on. This included decent clothes (I ain't showing up to La Scala in rags). While a bit extreme, it really is quite doable -- and makes getting around much easier.

When cruising -- and we cruise on a lien with formal nights, so gowns and a tux are included-- we take 1 bag and one carry-on each. This is for cruises of 2 or 3 weeks in length plus a week or so pre and/or post-cruise.

Life has become much easier for me since the Kindle was introduced as much of the weight was taken up with books.

We like to travel light...it has saved us a lot of time and hassle in our travels....skipping the long taxi line and walking 100 yds to our hotel, disembarking ourselves instead of waiting 2 hours, passing the 1h long checkin line at the airport, etc. If others want to bring it all with them, more power to them. But why is free luggage considered a God-given entitlement on fares that were unimaginably low several years ago? Why should the majority pay for the few who don't choose to pack light? The charge is modest, and there is still the choice of paying full-fare with baggage included, or packing lighter. You can't complain if you pay $18k for a car and don't get a Lexus! :)

BTW I'm not the king of packing light. I struck up a conversation with 3 ladies on a shuttle at LAX who each had a carry-on. I assumed they were going somewhere for the weekend, but found out they were spending 3 weeks in Cambodia and that was their only luggage!

Hey, it's 22.68 kilos :) Which is why the usual weight allowed is 23 kg. Aso you know, that is a LOT more than many non-U.S. airlines allow (except for flights to North America)... certainly more than is common for intra-European flights.

Well, I don't know where you have flown in your around-the-world trips, or what airlines you have used, but:

Flights to/from North America go on the "piece" system - 2 bags allowed.

Around Asia, Australia and New Zealand (and from the UK to these destinations, unless going via the US), many airlines have a baggage allowance of 20Kg. We talk in kilogrammes, not pounds, and the 50 pound translation was for the benefit of US readers! It is not "a LOT more than many non-US airlines allow".

For International flights, many airlines around here have a 20 Kg limit for checked bags, while some have 23Kg. None have less than 20 Kg. Air New Zealand, Singapore Airlines, Emirates (and maybe Qantas - haven't flown with them recently) all have a 20 Kg baggage allowance for Economy class. Air New Zealand has recently increased its domestic allowance to 23Kg.

As for intra-european flights, the usual allowance is 20 Kg - 44 pounds - (even on easyJet!), except for RyanAir, for which the allowance is 15Kg.

We fly out of NZ or Australia to Asia, Europe and the UK at least once a year, and always manage to keep well within the 20Kg baggage allowance, even when travelling for more than 2 months. Don't have too much sympathy for those who complain about being charged extra for a second bag of similar weight!

People who think $50 is excessive should go to the FedX website and price the cost to ship 50lbs your destination. Look at the 2 or 3 day service. Even consider a substantial corporate discount.

I'm not sure Delta will generate as much money as they think. I'd expect many passengers will just check one bag. I guess they'll make some money on overweight fees from some of those one bag passengers.

Well, I don't know where you have flown in your around-the-world trips, or what airlines you have used, but:

Flights to/from North America go on the "piece" system - 2 bags allowed.

Around Asia, Australia and New Zealand (and from the UK to these destinations, unless going via the US), many airlines have a baggage allowance of 20Kg. We talk in kilogrammes, not pounds, and the 50 pound translation was for the benefit of US readers! It is not "a LOT more than many non-US airlines allow".

For International flights, many airlines around here have a 20 Kg limit for checked bags, while some have 23Kg. None have less than 20 Kg. Air New Zealand, Singapore Airlines, Emirates (and maybe Qantas - haven't flown with them recently) all have a 20 Kg baggage allowance for Economy class. Air New Zealand has recently increased its domestic allowance to 23Kg.

As for intra-european flights, the usual allowance is 20 Kg - 44 pounds - (even on easyJet!), except for RyanAir, for which the allowance is 15Kg.

We fly out of NZ or Australia to Asia, Europe and the UK at least once a year, and always manage to keep well within the 20Kg baggage allowance, even when travelling for more than 2 months. Don't have too much sympathy for those who complain about being charged extra for a second bag of similar weight!

celle: sorry, bad editing on my part.. Strike "more" replace with "less." This silly error on my part certainly managed to invert what I was trying to say.. which is complete agreement with you.

celle: sorry, bad editing on my part.. Strike "more" replace with "less." This silly error on my part certainly managed to invert what I was trying to say.. which is complete agreement with you.

Well, I thought we were on the same page, as you also seemed to be advocating travelling light, but your little editing mistake had me wondering!

We see so many people encumbered by excessive baggage and trying to find porters, while we enjoy being able to just wheel our one bag away.

Happy travels!

Celle

People who think $50 is excessive should go to the FedX website and price the cost to ship 50lbs your destination. Look at the 2 or 3 day service. Even consider a substantial corporate discount

Huh? Kinda like saying if you don't like to pay 42 cents to mail a letter, go to the airline and ask what it would cost to send that letter by air cargo. Or you don't like taking a bus somewhere, ask what it would cost to charter a limo. The analogy doesn't make sense.

Well, I thought we were on the same page, as you also seemed to be advocating travelling light, but your little editing mistake had me wondering!

We see so many people encumbered by excessive baggage and trying to find porters, while we enjoy being able to just wheel our one bag away.

Happy travels!

Celle

Sorry about that. :)

I've gone away from wheeled luggage mostly. I find backpack-type luggage easier to schlep (my wife uses a wheeled bag, though). If I just cruised, I would use a wheeled bag (although quite a bit of weight is "wasted" with the wheels, axles, etc.) but wheeling on dirt, cobbles, and such can be a real PITA as can carrying in up a flight or two of stairs.

It is a bunch of crap. Just another way to rip off the flying customer.

Hopefully, you will have a grandfather clause and be exempt if you bought your ticket prior to this going into affect.

Sorry about that. :)

I've gone away from wheeled luggage mostly. I find backpack-type luggage easier to schlep (my wife uses a wheeled bag, though). If I just cruised, I would use a wheeled bag (although quite a bit of weight is "wasted" with the wheels, axles, etc.) but wheeling on dirt, cobbles, and such can be a real PITA as can carrying in up a flight or two of stairs.

Ah, if we were younger and fitter, we would do away with wheels too!! :(

For short trips, where we don't need 20Kg, we just take carry-on luggage and I am a convert to the US-made RedOxx bags - they are so strong.

It is a bunch of crap. Just another way to rip off the flying customer.
Airlines = the great Satan.

The airlines, of course, rip off the flying customer big time in air fares, don't they? Especially when they consistently and repeatedly plumb all-time lows, year after year. There has never been a cheaper time to buy air tickets. But part of that has to be paid for in the unbundling of costs.

Of course, it is always possible to choose to fly with an airline (or on a ticket) that doesn't require the payment of such a fee.

People who think $50 is excessive should go to the FedX website and price the cost to ship 50lbs your destination. Look at the 2 or 3 day service. Even consider a substantial corporate discount.

I'm not sure Delta will generate as much money as they think. I'd expect many passengers will just check one bag. I guess they'll make some money on overweight fees from some of those one bag passengers.

They will save money as lighter airplanes use less fuel!

Archived