PG Tahaa Motu party & doing Coral Gardens Drift Snorkel on the same day

To folks who have experienced the "fab" motu party on Tahaa, we have signed up in advance for the "Coral Gardens Drift Snorkel" the morning of the motu day. The only other option for this was the day earlier, our only afternoon on Raiatea , where we signed up for the 4x4 /river canoe tour on that island. (We didn't want to use the only afternoon at Raiatea to take the Drift Snorkel tour as we would miss the island completely). The option we signed for is the morning of the Tahaa motu party. My question is this~ Is this "too much" water activity for one day? I understand the snorkeling is pretty fab at the motu...but am open to suggestions as to whether I should cancel the Coral Gardens Drift Snorkel tour and just snorkel all afternoon during the motu event. Anyone have any thoughts/ recommendations?

I am leaving this Friday for a wonderful week of PG cruising...definitely on Tahitian time already!:cool:

For me, Taha'a was fantastic. We took the first tender in the morning and returned on the last tender of the afternoon. We spent the whole day in the water having a wonderful time. There are plenty of other stops to go snorkeling. I liked Taha'a just for the Motu.

To folks who have experienced the "fab" motu party on Tahaa, we have signed up in advance for the "Coral Gardens Drift Snorkel" the morning of the motu day. The only other option for this was the day earlier, our only afternoon on Raiatea , where we signed up for the 4x4 /river canoe tour on that island. (We didn't want to use the only afternoon at Raiatea to take the Drift Snorkel tour as we would miss the island completely). The option we signed for is the morning of the Tahaa motu party. My question is this~ Is this "too much" water activity for one day? I understand the snorkeling is pretty fab at the motu...but am open to suggestions as to whether I should cancel the Coral Gardens Drift Snorkel tour and just snorkel all afternoon during the motu event. Anyone have any thoughts/ recommendations?

I am leaving this Friday for a wonderful week of PG cruising...definitely on Tahitian time already!:cool:

I don't think there could ever be too much water activity in Tahiti. Our motu party experience was very nice -- not great, but, nice. We wanted to snorkel off of the motu, however, the tide was out and the water wasn't deep enough (those things can happen). Be sure to bring water shoes as there are a lot of rocks leading to the water on the motu.

I suggest doing the Drift Snorkel that you have signed up for and enjoy the motu when you get back. Have a great time:)

IMO the drift snorkel is a must do/see. I have done it 4 time and I am always amazed at the coral and other sea life there. Once you have seen/driven Moorea and Bora Bora; Raiatea just doesn't compare.

If the ship tour schedule doesn't work for you, use a local tour operator on Raiatea. It is about a 45 minute boat ride from Raiatea to the coral garden and about 15 minutes back to the motu. The local tour operators are flexible. Since you lead time is short you can google and get phone numbers and call to set up tours. I like Marie and Tony.

j

I've never done the Taha'a drift snorkel, but if you love snorkeling, go for it. I believe they might even be able to drop you at the motu afterwards. You'll have the whole afternoon there, and the snorkeling at the motu, although pleasant, is nothing comparable, at least that's what I have heard.

Be aware that much of the coral in FP is stressed, and in some cases in real trouble, so try to set your expectations beforehand.

We spent the entire day at the Motu. They had everything for you. Besides the gut splitting BBQ, we snorkled, kayaked, swam, you name it. DH had the most fun sitting in the water surrounded by fish as the walking bar came around with drinks. RELAXING

We did exactly the sequence the OP is considering last time in Taha'a. Worked out fine and were at the Motu in time for lunch and a little kayaking. Snorkeling at the motu is fine but really doesn't compare to the drift snorkel. As Wendy pointed out the Motu is "stressed" and much of the coral there is dead. HOWEVER, I do want to point out one thing. IMHO, while snorkeling at the Motu is an activity almost anyone, even a weak swimmer, could enjoy; the Drift Snorkel is not for beginners or folks uncomfortable in the water or small places. The Drift take you through a "gully" in the coral that is maybe 1-3 meters deep and only 1-3 meters wide. The tide change causes a 2-3kt current through this "gully" and that's how you drift through. It's follow the leader single file for a good part of the drift. Normally you do two passes through the channel (walk back to the entry point). It's great...really great for folks who enjoy snorkeling and/or are really comfortable in the water. We had a person on our trip who got a bit freaked and, while never in danger, didn't really have a lot of fun. Also, we had a lady "get lost" (didn't keep a visual on the person in front of her) and wound up with her and two other folks up a "dead end" gully on the other side of the channel standing, for gosh sakes, on coral heads. I went over and led them back to the main channel (I was tail end Charlie) and they were fine but I don't think they really enjoyed the over all experience either.

Greg

I will second what Greg said. I haven't done this drift snorkel, but I have done others--not for beginners. Also, if you're very thin, you could get cold, despite the warm water. Have something to put on afterwards, since the breeze can chill you very quickly after a long time in the water.

Archived