Anytime Dining - Reservations Questions

clueless2

I am a first time cruiser and did not realize that anytime dining could be reserved. Having never had the same server more than once, I would love to hear from veteran cruisers why they enjoy having the same server. What kinds of preferences do they get to know?

I also never thought through why people might not like to be assigned to a table with strangers. Is it typical that people don't include others in conversations when they don't know them? I thought it would be fun to sit with different people each night, but maybe I don't know better.

Thanks.

I am a first time cruiser and did not realize that anytime dining could be reserved. Having never had the same server more than once, I would love to hear from veteran cruisers why they enjoy having the same server. What kinds of preferences do they get to know?

I also never thought through why people might not like to be assigned to a table with strangers. Is it typical that people don't include others in conversations when they don't know them? I thought it would be fun to sit with different people each night, but maybe I don't know better.

Thanks.

It is fun sitting with different people, thats why we always eat in the dining room for breakfast and lunch for open seating...but it is more fun to request a large table for traditional dining and get to meet about 8-10 new people and really get to know them over dinner every night, comparing things we did that day and sometimes finding new long term cruising friends....so its the best of both worlds for us using traditional dining in the evening and open seating during the day....

We have always enjoyed the table companions we been given, and looked forward to

comparing our day in port with them. Out of over 40 cruises, I can't remember more

than one couple that didn't make dinner more fun. I hate to see traditional dining go down

the tubes, because you don't get that kind of rapport after just one meal. I always enjoy

my open seating breakfasts and lunches, but it's a real case of ships that pass in the

night. You can meet some really interesting people on a cruise ship, and dining together

every night adds immeasurably to the whole experience. In my case, my frustration is

not that we're obviously stuck in anytime against our wishes and needs, it's the fact

that Princess customer relations keeps telling us it's a computer glitch, but nothing is

being done to rectify it. We will enjoy our cruise, and enjoy the meals we have on it,

but dreading the possible hassle every night will dim the enjoyment for us.

I've never had to wait around to dine on a ship before, at least not since we learned

not to arrive at the dining room doors even 5 minutes before they're scheduled to open.

Mimi

ps---where could we vent if it weren't for Cruise Critic?

DH & I have never had a problem getting a table for two. In fact all we have ever done is walk up (without a reservation) and asked. We have never even been asked to share a table after we have stated that we would like a table for two. There are plenty of tables. However, some of the tables for two are rather close to each other, but at least you don't need to feel obligated to converse with others.

We did traditional dining on the Coral, but ate lunch twice which was in the anytime dining room. The tables for 2 were so close, and the waiters served us all at once anyway, so we might as well have just eaten at a table for 4.

Thanks.

first off, i love your screen name and wish i could say the same! :)

we always choose anytime dining and do show up anytime. we don't mind sharing a table and have met some great people. now, there is something to say for different table-mates every night: the conversation rarely lapses as we are all just getting to know each other. we seem to be seated at a table for 8 all the time, so there has been at least 3 different groups.

we have also had table-mates who we are quite happy to only have to spend a couple of hours with. i can't imagine having dinner with them at the same table for the duration of the cruise! :eek: i can stay polite if i know it will be over soon!

i have had great servers whom i'd like to have again, but also some who i am happy to not have the next night. either way, the meals are great and we enjoy the conversation with each other and with others.

isleptwell, if you end up at a table with only people who don't include you (how rude is that?) then you can make the best of it and pretend you're at a table for two and ignore them.

have a great cruise.

Thanks for the screen name compliment, but it is really more wishful thinking than reality!

Thank you to everybody for your replies. There is so much to think about when planning a cruise, and I have learned so much from these boards.

Clueless2

Can you make a reservation for a specific time and table size?

Anytime you like!!! ;)

If so, how does one go about making the reservation? (on HAL you can all in the morning or they have someone set up on the Lido deck at breakfast).

Go to the dining room where the Maire'd is station and request reservations.

If you can make a reservation can you make if for multiple days (i.e. the entire cruise). Definitely!!!!

You won't have a problem at all.

Thanks.

If you followed the thread, YES you can reserve, but not likely in peak hours. If you go with a regular reservation you may be able to secure the same table and servers.

The benefits of the same server is that on a long cruise they will get to know the drinks you want. The junior waiter at our table had our drinks at our table minutes after we seated, no need to ask/order. Then for salads and such they know your dressing, soup, desert, after dinner drink preferences by day 3 or 4 for those that always order the same thing. Personally don't think its a big deal but a nice touch.

As to sitting with others, it sometimes is good, sometimes interesting, sometimes entertaining and sometimes can be downright ackward. On our Alaskan we got stuck with a group 30 years older then us. Sometimes that was fun, many times not, YMMV.

Enjoy your first cruise.

It's not true that a diabetic will be given special treatment as far as getting into traditional dining instead of anytime. The maitre 'd suggested we eat in the buffet every night if my husband's health was an issue in the timing of his eating dinner. No help even with a tip....just that suggestion.

Thanks.

It is fun sitting with different people, thats why we always eat in the dining room for breakfast and lunch for open seating...but it is more fun to request a large table for traditional dining and get to meet about 8-10 new people and really get to know them over dinner every night, comparing things we did that day and sometimes finding new long term cruising friends....so its the best of both worlds for us using traditional dining in the evening and open seating during the day....

Exactly why I prefer traditional. At the first meal, I would mention that I do't like salad dressing on my salads but would love a lemon slice or two. On most of my cruises, the waitstaff puts down a plate of lemon slices in front of me at the same time the bread is brought out. As I usually try to have a salad with each lunch and dinner while onboard, this is great. I'll also put a slice in my water, and pass the plate around so that any tablemates can use the rest of the lemon slices, which many do. Just one of the touches that happens when you have the same waiters each night (I'm guessing some of them keep a card at their station with notes).

I also like that each night we don't have to start with the "where are you from?" "is this your first cruise?" type of questions with a new set of tablemates. From the second night on, it's a sharing of what activities or shore excursions you did that day. I think that adds to our cruise experience too. And sometimes we've had some excellent tablemates. Even when we were seated at a table for six and the other four were bestest friends, they didn't leave us out of the conversation.

And on our last cruise (a 15-day one), we ate breakfast and lunch every day in the Horizon court, and would often sit down at a table that was partially occupied. Got to meet many people that way.

To me, I could have "anytime dining" by dining out back home. I want something different on vacation and traditional dining fills that bill.

BTW (for those new to Princess), the dining rooms open for breakfast and lunch are always open seating.

The real answer is -- it all depends on the ship and the head waiters.

On the CP (last year) we were able to make reservations at times with table size and even table number requests on the day of dining. There are specific time slots available -- it is not really "anytime" dining, it is at the times they offer reservations which are basically around early dining and late dining times. The advantage of anytime dining is you can dine at different times (within the parameters) and different size tables. We normally make reservations as we have found just showing up can mean very long waits. We understand you might miss some benefits of always having the same waiters and table, but we have found on most Princess ships if you find a table and waiters you absolutely love you can request that table when making reservations and "excellent head waiters" make it happen. The only time that didn't happen for us was our April 1 sailing on the Golden -- where they did not accept reservations for a specific table. But on our B2B on the Emerald in January the head waiters were fantastic and we ended up with our "personal" table for most of the cruise.

John

I searched for this info and found lots a treads but no definite answer.

So...

We've always had traditional dining (which we prefer) but for our CB cruise in June we are way down the waitlist so I'm sure we'll get Anytime Dining.

So three questions:

Can you make a reservation for a specific time and table size?

If so, how does one go about making the reservation? (on HAL you can all in the morning or they have someone set up on the Lido deck at breakfast).

If you can make a reservation can you make if for multiple days (i.e. the entire cruise).

Personally, I found the whole thing too annoying and ate mostly at the buffets. I won't book a sailing again unless I can (and currently have) fixed seating. It wasn't that it was difficult to get a table, it was just too much trouble to put my name in, walk around with a beeper, I just lost interest.:cool:

However, I have it on excellent authority from the Princess Princess's (another board) you will have no problems if you simply request the same time and table each night (on off peak hours). Since they have a whole lot more Princess experience than I do, I'd take that to the bank.

It is our first cruise. We tried to get early traditional dining and were put on a wait list with 170 people ahead of us. We figured that we'd better switch to 8:15, which is rather late to eat, especially since one of us (2 couples) is diabetic. So we'll probably switch again to Anytime Dining. :o

I agree that your husband should be accomodated with his medical issue in any way possible.

But for the person looking to tie up a table for the week, then it defeats the purpose of walking up anytime and cheats others out of a table and causes unnecessary waits.. :)

Obviously Princess doesn't agree or else they wouldn't permit it.

Archived