4 to a room?

We were on the Spirit in March with (2) adults and (2) teens. The only time we were all together was getting up in the morning. A bit crouded but we all made it through the 20 minutes together. The teens had no problem with the bunk. Yes, light sleepers would wake up if you were already in bed when someone came in late - but everyone had fun. The advantage was knowing when your kids came to the room at night :0)

There was a post like this a few weeks ago and i pulled up some pricing for the spirit out of new orleans as a comparison.

When you switch from 3 to 4 people in a inside room passanger 3 and 4 go up over $300 each.

Depending on what the first 2 people cost it may only cost $250 more or so to get a 2nd connecting room. Which would give everybody double the room along with 2 bathrooms, 2 tvs etc.

With these economic times, a family of 4 sharing a cabin together with upper/lower beds isn't a surprise to us. We had 4 grow-up adult relatives sharing an inside cabin on the Dawn back in 2003 and it was fine. Sharing & using the bathroom among the 4, especially for the women, is a challenge so "timing" is critical - makeups can be done at the desk w. the mirror.

The money saved for not getting a 2nd. cabin will pay for the tips, extra charges for the speciality restaurants (optional), soda & a drink or two for the adults, family photos taken on the ship, and excurisons and take-home gifts, etc. etc.

Has anyone been on those long distance Amtrak-liners with the sleeping accommodations for a family (now, that's truely tight space to be in) on the Chicago-California run?

For inside cabin, see whether your PCC or TA can get one of the larger cabin (they're still available) - deck 10 and 11 has at least one each at 235 SF, designed for HC pax. If they aren't assigned to HC pax by now, they will generally release it and if you can get one, it's so roomy that you will not need 2 cabins - just work out the bathroom arrangements since it's all in the family.

We were on the Spirit the first week of April, 2 adults and 2 teens in an inside cabin (5503). We survived just fine! I would agree with the shoe hanger suggestion for your bathroom door, and we also brought a couple of over-the-door hooks for beach towels and such. In addition to the four beds, there was a pull-out chair/twin bed available. Most of the week ours was full of teen junk, but could be a nice spot to sit... There are showers/lockers in the gym. One daughter considered this, but NO privacy up there. We just spaced the showers out - some in the morning, some pre-dinner, some at bedtime, etc. Our cabin just had one traditional bathroom, not a separate shower/toilet area.

I would not suggest you ask for a HC cabin this far out. You might check about a month before you sail. We needed a HC cabin and we could not go on the cruise because there were none. NCL would not even see if all the HC cabins were indeed taken by a HC person. So we may have been able to have that HC cabin that an AB person had taken. Thank you.

For inside cabin, see whether your PCC or TA can get one of the larger cabin (they're still available) - deck 10 and 11 has at least one each at 235 SF, designed for HC pax. If they aren't assigned to HC pax by now, they will generally release it and if you can get one, it's so roomy that you will not need 2 cabins - just work out the bathroom arrangements since it's all in the family.

I certainly hope that the OP doesn't inquire about a HC room simply to get more space. They don't sail until July which is 3 months away and there may be someone that needs the HC room that won't be able to go if that room is taken. And, the cruise line will not bump an able bodied person from a HC room once it is booked.

Please, leave the HC rooms for those who need them.

CG

Edited by CruisnGram

I certainly hope that the OP doesn't inquire about a HC room simply to get more space. They don't sail until July which is 3 months away and there may be someone that needs the HC room that won't be able to go if that room is taken. And, the cruise line will not bump an able bodied person from a HC room once it is booked.

Please, leave the HC rooms for those who need them.

CG

Please rest assured that I am not planning on trying to book a HC room, I would feel terrible if someone who really needed it lost out because of my need for a few extra feet of space.

I am so grateful to everyone who has replied with so many great ideas and suggestions for my family. I will definitely go out and get an over-the-door shoe thingy to put our stuff in-several people mentioned that one. As for the bathroom, I have no problem taking a shower at night on the cruise, because that is what I do anyway at home with 2 teens needing to shower every morning before school.

Does anyone have ideas to share regarding having 4 people in an inside cabin? Two adults and two teenagers, sailing on the Spirit to Bermuda in July. Travel agent said it would be $1500 more to get another inside room and we are not sure if the extra money would be worth it. Do you really spend that much time in the room other than sleeping and cleaning up? Thank you.

DO.NOT.DO.IT

We had 4.

*shudder* We had a balcony room, too. Two twin beds, a couch, and a pulldownoutoftheceiling bed. No.room.for.stuff. :D Tripping over each other and our things. I will never do it again.

• 3 weeks later...
Please rest assured that I am not planning on trying to book a HC room, I would feel terrible if someone who really needed it lost out because of my need for a few extra feet of space.

I am so grateful to everyone who has replied with so many great ideas and suggestions for my family. I will definitely go out and get an over-the-door shoe thingy to put our stuff in-several people mentioned that one. As for the bathroom, I have no problem taking a shower at night on the cruise, because that is what I do anyway at home with 2 teens needing to shower every morning before school.

You'll be just fine. In my opinion, shower time is the biggest issue, and it sounds like that's already something your family has worked out. Other than that, the key is ORGANIZATION. I can't emphasize that enough! The over-door storage is an excellent idea, as are the over-door hooks. Multiple wet towels can be an issue, for sure.

I don't know whether your teens are boys or girls, but if they have items for getting ready, I recommend a 'travel kit' for each individual. So far, I'm the only one in my family that needs one (my husband never will!), but basically, it is a portable, self-contained unit that holds everything I need to get ready - including a mirror. All I need is a light source and I'm good to go. Obviously I need the bathroom for brushing teeth and washing, etc. but I don't need to brush my hair, put on makeup, or anything else of that nature.

We always book insides and I expect we always will. I just don't want to be there; I don't pay all that money to go sit in my cabin. :) That extra money goes a long way towards excursions, specialty dining, and shopping!

Keep in mind that not everyone is cut out for inside cabin cruising - as has been reflected by many of the responses here. One other important factor is how well everyone gets along. My family gets along very well and we don't get on each others' nerves (we'll see if that changes as my daughter gets older!), and even when my mom was with us (making four in our inside cabin) a couple of years ago, we had no issues at all sharing the space. Everyone happily took turns in the bathroom, and my mom would change in the bathroom and go grab a cup of coffee while the rest of us got ready.

Just for good measure, I thought I'd repeat one thing... ORGANIZATION!! :) No matter how tired or excited you are when your luggage arrives, unpack it and put it all away and make sure everyone knows where their stuff is and that it is their responsibility to keep track of it and keep it out of everyone else's way. I can't emphasize enough how important this is - or at least it's what makes it work for my family. :)

For a minute, I thought my remark about courts not allowing jails to crowd people that way had been pulled, but darned if there isn't a second thread on the same subject a few lines down presently.

• 4 years later...
But hey you're cruising and life is good!

Exactly!!! I swore we would never do this....but the holiday cruise is SOOOOOO expensive...we have no choice:) It is $1200 more to have 2 inside rooms:eek:

We will follow the tips of others......stagger shower times and/or make use of the gym showers, re-arrange the beds if possible, cut down our luggage.

We are lucky in that we tolerate each other well and we can deal with the "closeness".

We are blessed in that we are able to cruise at all!!

I am not understanding how it is $1200 more or $1500 more for people to get a second cabin.

Am I missing something?

Usually the cheapest inside cabin for 2 is very close to the cost of adding a 3rd and 4th person to an inside cabin.

I just ran the numbers on my upcoming Alaska cruise, and it's a whopping $35 per person difference to get the extra room.

While this cruise is not during a holiday period, I took a Christmas cruise in 2013, and again the rates were very comparable.

I think you should check this out yourself on the NCL website, and not rely on your travel agent.

Someone please give me an example of an itinerary where an inside cabin for 2 is substantially more expensive than adding two to the room. I want to see this for myself.

inside cabin for 4 ppl total is 4800

inside cabin for 2 ppl total is 3000

3000 x 2= 6000

6000-4800= 1200

in this case the 3 and 4 passengers are being heavily discounted to share the cabin. this is direct from NCL website (I never use a TA).

its a holiday sailing...not much I can do;)

Edited by nursemommy7578

inside cabin for 4 ppl total is 4800

inside cabin for 2 ppl total is 3000

3000 x 2= 6000

6000-4800= 1200

... this is direct from NCL website (I never use a TA).

its a holiday sailing...not much I can do;)

Ooooh mine, an old thread coming alive again.

Just looking at Dec. 2014 Gem's pricing, it seemed to be lowered a bit - for an Obstructed Oceanview cabin for 4, which will give you natural light & it's on Deck 8 (a floor that we happened to like, sailed GEM previously - but NCL "upgraded" our GTY down to deck 4 FWD instead) - fare for 4 to a cabin is $4,936 plus $737 for taxes/charges/fees, etc. for a total of $5,663

Not seeing any OBC offered but if you use an online T/A - you will get some issued to offset the $$$ sailing, just saying.

Also, look into getting one of the sideway cabin as those stateroom layout can work a bit better for 4 cozy folks sharing, especially if you can do a U bed setup plus 1 upper bunk/pullman.

Otherwise, for late December 2014 "holiday" sailing - I'm seeing a NY resident + Latitude fare of around $5,300 in total for 4 so that's almost $700 less than what you said. The Gem is very nice, a bit aged so dry docking is good but we might be sailing her again this Fall so we've been tracking prices closely.

Ooooh mine, an old thread coming alive again.

Just looking at Dec. 2014 Gem's pricing, it seemed to be lowered a bit - for an Obstructed Oceanview cabin for 4, which will give you natural light & it's on Deck 8 (a floor that we happened to like, sailed GEM previously - but NCL "upgraded" our GTY down to deck 4 FWD instead) - fare for 4 to a cabin is $4,936 plus $737 for taxes/charges/fees, etc. for a total of $5,663

Not seeing any OBC offered but if you use an online T/A - you will get some issued to offset the $$$ sailing, just saying.

Also, look into getting one of the sideway cabin as those stateroom layout can work a bit better for 4 cozy folks sharing, especially if you can do a U bed setup plus 1 upper bunk/pullman.

Otherwise, for late December 2014 "holiday" sailing - I'm seeing a NY resident + Latitude fare of around $5,300 in total for 4 so that's almost $700 less than what you said. The Gem is very nice, a bit aged so dry docking is good but we might be sailing her again this Fall so we've been tracking prices closely.

I cant use the resident rate as i'm not a resident:) i've been on the phone with them 4 times and it is what it is. In addition we have to convert to Canadian funds...so it is a huge price difference for us. I'm not complaining at all...we are happy to deal with it....we will be cruising!

Edited by nursemommy7578

I know all fares are different and I would bet that no one on the ship is paying the same as their neighbor. With that being said:

We are 4 people - about a month ago, I added a cabin for $400. Girls have the balcony - boys have the inside cabin.

Our kids are younger - last time we sailed with them was maybe 3 years ago. I would never do 4 in a cabin. The mess alone was enough to drive me to drink....(which may or may not be a good thing)

I cant use the resident rate as i'm not a resident:) i've been on the phone with them 4 times and it is what it is. In addition we have to convert to Canadian funds...so it is a huge price difference for us. I'm not complaining at all...we are happy to deal with it....we will be cruising!

Ah, I understand a bit better now. I think I just found your cruise -- the Gem on December 22, 2014. You are taking an 11-day cruise rather than a 7-day one. Between that and the holidays, yes, it make things a bit more expensive.

I just went through the NCL website, and found that the cheapest inside cabin for 4 is $5023, while two inside cabins for two would be $6123. So it's now an $1100 difference.

This is NOT including any kind of "resident" discount. I entered Canada as my location. I would be paying the exact same as you from California, by the way.

Anyway, I have figured out the issue here, and I have a good suggestion for you.

You are booking too far in advance to get the best price.

December 22 is still almost 8 months out.

You are paying very close to the "rack" rate for the cruise -- something you never want to do!

There is a good chance that this very stiff rate of $1349 will drop somewhat by the time you get to the payment deadline of around October 8.

Here is what I suggest you do.

1) Book two rooms right now. You will only have to put down a small, fully-refundable deposit.

2) Keep furiously checking the NCL website for reductions in price (as well as specials) on your cruise. Do this about once a week, minimum.

3) If the price changes, or if new specials are offered (such as free upgrades), call NCL and rebook. Provided it's before the payment deadline (October 8, I believe), you will be given the better price. Make sure they send you an e-mail confirmation of the new prices.

4) Just before the final payment deadline comes around (like the day before), go on the website one more time and price both one room for 4 people and two rooms for two people. If the price difference is still too much for your liking, cancel the second room, and add those two people to your room instead.

---

As an alternative to the above, you can also simply book one room for two, and then watch their inventory and prices closely as it gets very close (like all the way up to a week before) to the cruise date. Keep an eye on how many inside rooms are left. If plenty are left open, it means that there is still room on the ship (lifeboat-wise) to add more people to your room, so you can watch for very-last-minute price drops (these do occur), and either book a last-minute second room or add these two at the last minute. This approach does come with a small risk of the ship filling up and you not being able to get these other two people aboard, so perhaps you won't like this option.

However, the main 4-step option I outlined above will always work (at worst you break even), and there is zero risk in doing that. You can only gain, and you can't lose.

Edited by pokerpro5

We had three adult women in a spa balcony cabin and I thought that was tight there was plenty of storage for the three of us also consider bathrooms are the teenagers girls or boys actually that might not even matter my son takes longer than my nieces in the bathroom. I would think the bathroom is going to be the biggest issue then again I'm sure you can find a bathroom somewhere to use in an emergency

I know all fares are different and I would bet that no one on the ship is paying the same as their neighbor. With that being said:

We are 4 people - about a month ago, I added a cabin for $400. Girls have the balcony - boys have the inside cabin.

Our kids are younger - last time we sailed with them was maybe 3 years ago. I would never do 4 in a cabin. The mess alone was enough to drive me to drink....(which may or may not be a good thing)

This Cruiser Who Knows Nothing definitely knows something.

Please, please, PLEASE do not take the advice of people who are saying, "4 to a room is tight but you'll have a great time anyway!"

While everyone is different, I can tell you that the average human being will find it miserable, especially for a length of time like 11 days.

These rooms are absolutely tiny. There is just one bathroom, which is already tiny for just one person.

Among the issues you'll have:

1) Storage of things is going to be very tough, unless you pack super-light. There just isn't room for 4 people's stuff, especially for an 11-day cruise.

2) Nowhere for people to change. You will have to each change in the bathroom, which is already small and uncomfortable.

3) Conflicts in needing to use the bathroom.

4) Will take an eternity to get ready in the morning, as you will have to wait for 4 people to individually get ready, one after the other.

5) Nowhere to sit.

6) You will be in EXTREMELY CLOSE QUARTERS and will get on each other's nerves QUICKLY.

7) If anyone feels sick/tired, you can forget them ever being able to nap during the day.

You want to feel like you can RELAX in your room, and with 4 people, it will be anything BUT relaxing!

I just took a cruise in December, 2013. It was for 7 days. We had a balcony room and an inside room. We all hung out in the balcony room at times (which is a huge difference from an inside room), and I kept thinking to myself, "Wow, I'm so glad we have that second room so we aren't forced to do this constantly for a week."

I caught a cold while on board, and at the peak of the symptoms, I needed to take an afternoon nap on one of the sea days. I went to the inside cabin and did that, waking up feeling much better. This would have been impossible if all 4 of us were in one cabin.

Look, I don't know what your vacation budget is. But you're committing to spend $5000 on the fares alone, so you are obviously already investing some good money into this trip. If the choice is $6100 to be comfortable and $5000 to be miserable, I would pay the extra $1100 every time, or otherwise you're wasting the $5000 (plus airfare, tips, and all other expenses) just to end up with a lousy experience. It will be extra money WELL SPENT, trust me. And as I said, you will likely have much less than a $1100 difference once it actually comes down to the final deadline.

I like Cruise Critic and I think this site is extremely helpful, but one problem is that you have a lot of "rah-rah-rah-cruising-is-so-wonderful" cheerleading types, who paint an all-too-rosy picture of cruising without being realistic about some of its pitfalls and challenges.

I enjoy cruising, and have been doing it for 20 years, but I cannot stress enough that one of the biggest mistakes people make is cramming 4 to a small room. This is the one area where you do NOT want to attempt to skimp. If it resulted in a huge percentage savings (like being able to spend half as much overall), I could understand, but the savings here just don't justify the misery you will be giving yourself.

(PS - I just looked and noticed that you have cruised a number of times already. I was confusing you for the OP in this thread 5 years ago. But my points remain the same. Even if you have successfully stuffed 4 people in an inside cabin in the past and had a good time, you will enjoy it much more with a 2-and-2 configuration.)

Edited by pokerpro5

This Cruiser Who Knows Nothing definitely knows something.

Please, please, PLEASE do not take the advice of people who are saying, "4 to a room is tight but you'll have a great time anyway!"

While everyone is different, I can tell you that the average human being will find it miserable, especially for a length of time like 11 days.

These rooms are absolutely tiny. There is just one bathroom, which is already tiny for just one person.

1) Storage of things is going to be very tough, unless you pack super-light. There just isn't room for 4 people's stuff, especially for an 11-day cruise.

not an issue. we pack lightly and use laundry!

2) Nowhere for people to change. You will have to each change in the bathroom, which is already small and uncomfortable.

not an issue. we plan to stagger.

again, not an issue. there are plenty of restrooms around the ship. while not ideal, it will work just fine. many people live everyday in homes with just 1 washroom without issues. i`m sure it will be ok!

4) Will take an eternity to get ready in the morning, as you will have to wait for 4 people to individually get ready, one after the other.

not sure how long it takes you to get ready, lol, but again, this is not an issue for us. we plan to have 2 people get ready first then wait for us in a lounge or some designated place.

5) Nowhere to sit.

there will be 4 beds....of course there is a place to sit! maybe we are just more simple and easygoing than others.

6) You will be in EXTREMELY CLOSE QUARTERS and will get on each other's nerves QUICKLY.

but we have an entire cruise ship with numerous spots to escape to! who says we have to stay together all day everyday....we enjoy different things and enjoy time apart!

7) If anyone feels sick/tired, you can forget them ever being able to nap during the day.

we love and respect each other enough to know that if someone is sick or wants a nap that the others will need to stay away as much as possible. i really dont see this as an issue either.

You want to feel like you can RELAX in your room, and with 4 people, it will be anything BUT relaxing!

we dont book the cabin for relaxing...we book it for sleeping. again, there are so many spots on the ship to relax. I intend to find them all and slip on my headphones and melt away!

I just took a cruise in December, 2013. It was for 7 days. We had a balcony room and an inside room. We all hung out in the balcony room at times (which is a huge difference from an inside room), and I kept thinking to myself, "Wow, I'm so glad we have that second room so we aren't forced to do this constantly for a week."

our first cruise we had 2 rooms and yes it was ideal. I will continue to monitor the pricing and if it changes to something in my comfort zone I will change our reservation. Its really not that big of a deal:)

I caught a cold while on board, and at the peak of the symptoms, I needed to take an afternoon nap on one of the sea days. I went to the inside cabin and did that, waking up feeling much better. This would have been impossible if all 4 of us were in one cabin.

how would it be impossible. you go to room and rest...others stay out and play!

Look, I don't know what your vacation budget is. But you're committing to spend $5000 on the fares alone, so you are obviously already investing some good money into this trip. If the choice is $6100 to be comfortable and $5000 to be miserable, I would pay the extra $1100 every time, or otherwise you're wasting the $5000 (plus airfare, tips, and all other expenses) just to end up with a lousy experience. It will be extra money WELL SPENT, trust me. And as I said, you will likely have much less than a $1100 difference once it actually comes down to the final deadline.

maybe $1100 is not much to you...but it is for us. in addition we have to add more with the exchange rates.

I like Cruise Critic and I think this site is extremely helpful, but one problem is that you have a lot of "rah-rah-rah-cruising-is-so-wonderful" cheerleading types, who paint an all-too-rosy picture of cruising without being realistic about some of its pitfalls and challenges.

I appreciate hearing what everyone has to say. in this case it helps us to be more prepared! we are also the type to `roll with it`and make lemonade out of lemons!

I enjoy cruising, and have been doing it for 20 years, but I cannot stress enough that one of the biggest mistakes people make is cramming 4 to a small room. This is the one area where you do NOT want to attempt to skimp. If it resulted in a huge percentage savings (like being able to spend half as much overall), I could understand, but the savings here just don't justify the misery you will be giving yourself.

obviously we differ in what constitutes `misery`. now...if I was forced to share a cabin with my MIL i`m sure THAT would be MISERY!!! lol

(PS - I just looked and noticed that you have cruised a number of times already. I was confusing you for the OP in this thread 5 years ago. But my points remain the same. Even if you have successfully stuffed 4 people in an inside cabin in the past and had a good time, you will enjoy it much more with a 2-and-2 configuration.)

hopefully it will work out that we can have 2 cabins. if not, I know we will be just fine! why would we complain when we are blessed to be on a cruise at all:D

Edited by nursemommy7578

I'm not saying that $1100 isn't much money. Believe me, I would also hate to "waste" $1100 needlessly, but it's actually a relatively small percentage of the cost of your overall trip. You will be paying for airfare, tips, shore excursions, specialty restaurants, cab fare, hotels, and I'm sure plenty of other things.

While it's true that you can use public bathrooms to avoid restroom conflicts, sit on the beds, pack lightly, and try to get ready more quickly in the morning, why bother with all of this? I would understand if you were dirt poor and had to cram a family of 4 into a studio apartment in order to have a roof over your head, but why pay $7000 or more (when factoring in all costs) to take a trip where you are constantly having to "make lemonade out of lemons"?

Look at your comment:

we love and respect each other enough to know that if someone is sick or wants a nap that the others will need to stay away as much as possible. i really dont see this as an issue either.

This reminds me of when I was in college, and my dorm roommate put a sock on the door at 11pm, indicating that I shouldn't enter the room because he was hooking up with a girl!

So if someone is sick/tired, everyone else is going to have to avoid their own room as much as possible? That's really no way to vacation.

I'm telling you that you will definitely get $1100 out of enjoyment out of that second room.

If you still don't agree, it's obviously your decision, but at the very least use the strategy I posted to where you can have a shot at a very cheap second room if the price falls.

The most common money-wasting mistake made by cruisers is not aggressively checking the rates as time passes, and paying a lot more than they have to. The second most common mistake is cramming additional people into a room and not consistently price-shopping the cost of splitting into 2 rooms.

Edited by pokerpro5

This Cruiser Who Knows Nothing definitely knows something. (just a little bit :rolleyes:)

5) Nowhere to sit.

WOW, I love every single word of this post. I think I will print it and frame it. There is so much good information in here

OP - do you have a bedroom or a family room at home that is roughly 200 square feet? If so, why not do an experiment and have the 4 of you sit there for 2 hours. I know you're saying "we won't all be in the cabin together for 2 hours" but you will see how tight and close quartered it is, add to that tiny space a bathroom and subtract any window/outside light (Sorry, I seem to think you had an inside cabin, I may be wrong).