Swine Flu in Mexico, is it safe to go. (Merged Threads)

AuntMimi

[quote name='jhannah']A young boy from Mexico City, who was visiting Texas, just died from swine flu. So we don't have to GO anywhere offshore to be exposed.[/quote]

Consider the concentration or percentage of people sick in each location and then figure out your odds of getting sick.

Once this flu spreads planes and cruise ships will be horrible places to be on due to the higher likelihood of contacting some one who is sick. But for now Mexico seems like a good place to avoid. If it continues to spread (and I do not see why it will not) you are correct that every where could be bad.

Sure hope this flu is not that severe after all this hoopla dies down.

[quote name='jetwet1']Well I would of lost a dollar :D

May 3 - Santa Barbara - 7 am - 6 pm
May 4 - San Diego - 7 am - 6 pm
May 5 - Ensenada (service call only)
May 7 - San Francisco - 7 am - 8 pm

Crappy itinerary for our last Princess cruise.[/quote]

For Star Princess, or May 2 Sapphire?

It'd be funny for us to come back to SF by a cruise ship -- we live in SF bay area -- I might as well AWOL in SF and go home from there (will certainly save us the hassle of going back to LAX and wait for hours for our next flight back). :D

[quote name='STLCruiser09']OK, I feel a little better about going and coming home to my newborn, our Doc. [B]perscribed[/B] us both Tamiflu to prevent, and yes, she said it will prevent if taken within 48 hours of possible exposure and for 10 days after the fact.
I am sorry to those who think this should only be given to the people that are already sick, I am NOT putting my newborn daughter at risk because Princess will not refund our money....

The California Gov. has now issued a "State of Emergency" in Cali, and we have to be on 2 flights in and out of there and apparently port there also.[/quote]

I suppose this statement is directed to me. The anti-viral meds are no guarantee that you won't get sick-I don't care what your doc. says. BTW, the incubation period for the flu is at least 3-4 days. How would you even know if you're infected after only 48 hours. That statement makes no sense to me. I do think Princess should offer you a refund. We're considering cancelling an upcoming cruise with them because of how they have handled this. Stay well.

[quote name='lovesublime']I suppose this statement is directed to me. The anti-viral meds are no guarantee that you won't get sick-I don't care what your doc. says.[/quote]

Responding to the increased threat Robert Madelin, Director General for Health and Consumer Protection at the European Commission, said: "[B]In 200 days we will have an anti-viral vaccine for this influenza."[/B]

There is currently no anti-viral vaccine worldwide for this flu.

Here is something to consider:
Suppose during the last cruise, one or more staff members went ashore and unknowingly were in close contact with a carrier. The crew member returned and went about the proper duties and happened to spread this infection to current guests and other staff members. As I understand it, no one would be aware of the situation for several days.

The guests get off and go home. The crew stays on and many board for a cruise to who-knows-where. Who is unlucky enough to be exposed enough to ultimately have the flu? If that person is elderly or young, the then chances of a significant problem are multiplied.

It is not a good solution, but Princess should seriously consider the consequences of having any ship start on another cruise. Could Princess put up a lot of fly-ins at hotels until a week later when their return flight is scheduled? I doubt it.

Consider endless possibilities. I, for one, am glad that I do not work for any hospitality industry company now. There will be many repercussions from this no matter what happens in the next week or two.

This is what Carnival cruises doing for the passengers. Princess is not doing anything.

I just called carnival again to verify they would give cash refunds (because I was seeing conflicting info on the board here) on the Splendor cruise on may 3rd, and they said they would. BUT...if you choose to cruise they will be giving 1/2 cash back from the cruise and 1/2 future cruise credit. San Francisco here I come :D In otherwords the cruise works out to be FREE???:eek:
[URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=19323022"][IMG]http://boards12.cruisecritic.com/images/buttons/quote.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Carnival has posted a list of all the changes for upcoming cruises - here the link:

[URL]http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/itinerary_updates.aspx[/URL]

On their 7 night cruise that was going to PV, Cabo and Mazatlan they are now going to Victoria, SF and up here to Seattle. I thought that is interesting-talk about a completely different cruise.

But they are offering a future cruise credit for people who want to cancel.

Well I have just come home from work...very long day. I did call Princess just before 6:00 to be told to awful news. I can not believe when [B]all the other cruiselines, including their parent company,[/B] are offering the option to cancel they are being so rigid!!

The have lost a customer. I was sitting in a room with several other nurses when I got the news and was more than happy to infom them of how poorly we have been treated by princess in light of the service the other companies have provided to their customers. If they think their decisions are only affecting the current passengers they are sorely mistaken. I'm sure "the suits" at princess (they no longer deserve to be capitalized) did an analysis on where the greatest loss would be: giving the opportunity to cancel and thereby losing immediate revenue or taking the fall-out of a relatively small group of unhappy passengers directly affected by the changes. It looks like they decided that since this is the end of their Mexican Riviera season there are relatively few customers they will lose, and that our memories will be short.

Question to you 5/2 Sapphire passengers. Have you received an email from princess informing you of the changes??? I looked at my email before I looked on the boards. Not a single word from princess. Very rude, thoughtless and unprofessional.:mad:

Cali girl, you have that right, the problem is I don't think really understood what they are doing.

As it stands right now this move has already cost them money, we have booked with different lines for next year. They are assuming that this will be forgotten, well we have a little group of 50 or so on here that cruise every year...On Princess...Not any more.

Drop these people a line and let them know your not happy

[email]abuckelew@princess.com[/email]
[email]dbrown@princess.com[/email]
[email]jswartz@princess.com[/email]
[email]cball@princess.com[/email]

And no we have not heard from princess, we heard from our TA. I actually feel sorry for the TA's on this one as well, they are going to be taking it hard time over this.

This really is a shame, we both love Princess but they don't seem to think this will hurts them, well maybe it will.aybe it won't, but they've lost me.

[quote name='jetwet1']And no we have not heard from princess, we heard from our TA. I actually feel sorry for the TA's on this one as well, they are going to be taking it hard time over this.

This really is a shame, we both love Princess but they don't seem to think this will hurts them, well maybe it will.aybe it won't, but they've lost me.[/quote]

The flu is an act of god analogous to a hurricane. Some hurricane cruises become 7 sea days, but they usually try to find one or two alternate ports during most hurricane cruises.

You are whining and placing blame on Princess when they actually are changing things reasonably well considering the Mexican cruise can not go to Mexico.

I understand you want more, because everyone wants more. But you are being treated fairly under the circumstances.

When snow storms stop airlines there is no compensation for an act of god. When mechanical problems stop airlines they owe you compensation for there deficiency. Princess does not owe you anything for an act of god.

Bob, I have taken many cruises that have had hurricane issues, each lines handled the situation, we also got to spend days at sea in the warm weather.

What Princess has done this time is switched a warm weather cruise to a cold weather cruise, two totally different vacations, I understand the reasons behind it, however what I have a problem with is not being given the option to cancel and rebook at a different date like other pax on other lines are doing.

What it comes down to for usand a lot of the other pax is we have just paid a lot of money to sail to our homes, I know some pax will be leaving the ship in San Fransico just so they don't have to deal with LAX when they return to LA.

[quote name='lovesublime']I suppose this statement is directed to me. The anti-viral meds are no guarantee that you won't get sick-I don't care what your doc. says. BTW, the incubation period for the flu is at least 3-4 days. How would you even know if you're infected after only 48 hours. That statement makes no sense to me. I do think Princess should offer you a refund. We're considering cancelling an upcoming cruise with them because of how they have handled this. Stay well.[/quote]

sorry, what she said was "within 48 hours of symptoms". I am still just going to take it with us and just be very careful and sanitize a LOT!!
I am a little bummed about the new Itinerary, but what can you do, they are offering NO REFUNDS, NO ONBOARD CREDIT, NO EXCURSIONS. They said since this was "Not Princess Cruise Lines Fault", they were not offering anything.
I am VERY VERY dissapointed with Princess and may not cruise with them again. My father in law who has been cruising with them for YEARS is so upset that he may not cruise Princess anymore either.
This was handled TOTALLY WRONG by Princess and they should have given us the option to re schedule or canel, or AT LEAST give some sort of compensation for the extreme change in the itinerary.

[quote name='jetwet1']Bob, I have taken many cruises that have had hurricane issues, each lines handled the situation, we also got to spend days at sea in the warm weather.

What Princess has done this time is switched a warm weather cruise to a cold weather cruise, two totally different vacations, I understand the reasons behind it, however what I have a problem with is not being given the option to cancel and rebook at a different date like other pax on other lines are doing.

What it comes down to for usand a lot of the other pax is we have just paid a lot of money to sail to our homes, I know some pax will be leaving the ship in San Fransico just so they don't have to deal with LAX when they return to LA.[/quote]

Yes you want more than you bargained for when you booked the cruise. Princess does not owe you a refund, has just cause due to the flu for the changes, can not control the weather, and is stuck with few alternatives. So Princess is giving you a less than optimal cruise due to an act of god.

Not Princesses fault and you knew Princess had this flexibility when you booked. I would stop being so negative, enjoy my cold weather cruise, and thank my lucky stars all this info got out before I cruised to Mexico and got sick. Alternatively you can whine and complain and make sure you stay unhappy and have a lousy cruise. It is your cruise and your choice.

[quote name='californiagirl']Well I have just come home from work...very long day. I did call Princess just before 6:00 to be told to awful news. I can not believe when [B]all the other cruiselines, including their parent company,[/B] are offering the option to cancel they are being so rigid!!

The have lost a customer. I was sitting in a room with several other nurses when I got the news and was more than happy to infom them of how poorly we have been treated by princess in light of the service the other companies have provided to their customers. If they think their decisions are only affecting the current passengers they are sorely mistaken. I'm sure "the suits" at princess (they no longer deserve to be capitalized) did an analysis on where the greatest loss would be: giving the opportunity to cancel and thereby losing immediate revenue or taking the fall-out of a relatively small group of unhappy passengers directly affected by the changes. It looks like they decided that since this is the end of their Mexican Riviera season there are relatively few customers they will lose, and that our memories will be short.

Question to you 5/2 Sapphire passengers. Have you received an email from princess informing you of the changes??? I looked at my email before I looked on the boards. Not a single word from princess. Very rude, thoughtless and unprofessional.:mad:[/quote]

Cali, I did recieve the "Emergency Notification" at about 4:45 yesterday.

Have you recieved it yet? If not I can forward you a copy.....

[quote name='jetwet1']Cali girl, you have that right, the problem is I don't think really understood what they are doing.

As it stands right now this move has already cost them money, we have booked with different lines for next year. They are assuming that this will be forgotten, well we have a little group of 50 or so on here that cruise every year...On Princess...Not any more.

Drop these people a line and let them know your not happy

[EMAIL="abuckelew@princess.com"]abuckelew@princess.com[/EMAIL]
[EMAIL="dbrown@princess.com"]dbrown@princess.com[/EMAIL]
[EMAIL="jswartz@princess.com"]jswartz@princess.com[/EMAIL]
[EMAIL="cball@princess.com"]cball@princess.com[/EMAIL][/quote]

I just emailed all 4 of these people, and I have attached my email below for all to see. Let me know if this was "out of line'.

[B][FONT=Arial]I just wanted to drop a line and let you know that the way you are handling this situation is very unprofessional. You should give us passengers a option to cancel our trip, I understand you will lose revenue right now, but you do realize that you are losing A LOT of repeat cruisers, right?[/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial]This will be my 6th and LAST cruise on Princess and my family that has been DEDICATED PRINCESS CRUISES, and recommended you to other people have also vowed to never step foot on another Princess ship again.[/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial]You really don’t know the impact you are having on your future cruise business or the impact you are having on people’s lives. If someone get sick on your ship, the entire ship will get it, I don’t care how may hand sanitizers you have at the Horizon Court, or taking the S & P shakers off the Dining room tables, NONE OF THAT will make a difference.[/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial]If you really want to get the true, on the street, grasp of the passengers on your ship, follow this link to Cruise Critic blog. You will be SHOCKED at the amount of people that are booked on the Sapphire, May 2. That will NOT be cruising with you again.[/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial][URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=974132&page=17"][COLOR=#800080]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=974132&page=17[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial]There are 17 pages, so take your time and read the threads.[/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial]I really don’t understand why your parent company, (Carnival) is offering refunds and your not? Can this be true? Royal Caribbean is also offering refunds, and I have already booked our trip for next year with them, SOLEY BASED ON THE WAY THEY HANDLED THIS SITUATION, and I am sure that I am not the only one.[/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial]I would appreciate a response with you thoughts and maybe an offer if possible.[/FONT][/B]
[I][FONT=Monotype Corsiva]Ex- Princess Cruiser,[/FONT][/I]

[quote name='Cruisin Bob']The flu is an act of god analogous to a hurricane. Some hurricane cruises become 7 sea days, but they usually try to find one or two alternate ports during most hurricane cruises.

You are whining and placing blame on Princess when they actually are changing things reasonably well considering the Mexican cruise can not go to Mexico.

I understand you want more, because everyone wants more. But you are being treated fairly under the circumstances.

When snow storms stop airlines there is no compensation for an act of god. When mechanical problems stop airlines they owe you compensation for there deficiency. Princess does not owe you anything for an act of god.[/quote]

We are not saying they "owe us" something, we are saying they should give us OPTIONS in this situation. An airline gives you the option to transfer you tickets to a different destination, if they have mechanical problems they put you on ANOTHER FLIGHT, (ie. another cruise ship!). So you are correct that it is an act of god and not Princess' fault, but they need to offer more options in this situation.

[quote name='STLCruiser09']We are not saying they "owe us" something, we are saying they should give us OPTIONS in this situation. An airline gives you the option to transfer you tickets to a different destination, if they have mechanical problems they put you on ANOTHER FLIGHT, (ie. another cruise ship!). So you are correct that it is an act of god and not Princess' fault, but they need to offer more options in this situation.[/quote]

No they do not have to offer more options to you.

Of course you do have the right to complain and try to persuade them into more, but you are not entitled to more.

Don't let the vacation become a big stress in your life as opposed to a good time.

[quote name='Cruisin Bob']No they do not have to offer more options to you.

Of course you do have the right to complain and try to persuade them into more, but you are not entitled to more.

Don't let the vacation become a big stress in your life as opposed to a good time.[/quote]

Oh, we are going to have a great time on our last Princess cruise...
I wont be in the office, so it will be great!!

Bob you are correct, they don't and have choosen not to offer up any other options, but we as consumers also have the right to spend our money where we choose to, as repeat Princess customers we would prefer as would many to spend our money with Princess, however THEY have forced us and others to look at other options in the future, if THEY had given us options then as before Princess would of remained our first choice.

STLCruiser I would appreciate you sending me your notification. I have received absolutely no message by either email or phone from princess. We booked directly with princess, so no TA. They have taken no responsibility in contacting me to inform me of the changes.

Cruisin Bob, are you even on this cruise? If not then you really can not understand what we are feeling. Over the years when I have read posts about cruises being changed because of events out of the control of the cruiseline I have felt very bad for the people affected. If I felt like they were starting to whine, I stopped reading that thread. I did not give them a lecture as you are doing. We all understand princess has no obligation to do anything outside of the contract. However, when all the other cruiselines and even airlines are offering gestures of goodwill beyond the contract, it leaves a very sour taste in our mouths that princess is not. Venting on this board for however long it takes to get it out of our systems really is a good thing. You telling us to get over it only pours salt in the wound. This is [B]how[/B] we are getting over it and if you don't like to read it, then stop.

[quote name='jetwet1']Bob you are correct, they don't and have choosen not to offer up any other options, but we as consumers also have the right to spend our money where we choose to, as repeat Princess customers we would prefer as would many to spend our money with Princess, however THEY have forced us and others to look at other options in the future, if THEY had given us options then as before Princess would of remained our first choice.[/quote]

And for every one that leaves Princess there are 100 new ones to take their place.

[quote name='californiagirl']STLCruiser I would appreciate you sending me your notification. I have received absolutely no message by either email or phone from princess. We booked directly with princess, so no TA. They have taken no responsibility in contacting me to inform me of the changes.

Cruisin Bob, are you even on this cruise? If not then you really can not understand what we are feeling. Over the years when I have read posts about cruises being changed because of events out of the control of the cruiseline I have felt very bad for the people affected. If I felt like they were starting to whine, I stopped reading that thread. I did not give them a lecture as you are doing. We all understand princess has no obligation to do anything outside of the contract. However, when all the other cruiselines and even airlines are offering gestures of goodwill beyond the contract, it leaves a very sour taste in our mouths that princess is not. Venting on this board for however long it takes to get it out of our systems really is a good thing. You telling us to get over it only pours salt in the wound. This is [B]how[/B] we are getting over it and if you don't like to read it, then stop.[/quote]

I second that but as we all know CruisinBob likes to lurk around and start up any argument he can. If you say black then he will say white. Just that kind of personality. Most on here just try to avoid and ignore his comments!;)

Archived