10:45 flight out of LAX

Murphey

Any chance this flight could be made coming from San Pedro pier???
Just because some people have made it doesn't mean that it's really makeable. When you sail into San Pedro, you are sailing against the current so delays are fairly common. Also, LAX strongly recommends that you check in 2 hours ahead of time for domestic flights, 3 hours for international flights. And finally, you can NEVER predict traffic in and around LAX. Last weekend as I was going to San Pedro, I had to pass Long Beach and there were a lot of delays due to the Long Beach Grand Prix. If there's an accident or if they decide to work on the road at a busy time (which is often the case), it could take you twice as long to get from San Pedro to LAX. I would NEVER attempt it, even carrying my own stuff off. Also, if you carry everything off, you have to be able to handle it on the escalator and still hold on with one hand. That was the case just a few hours ago when I disembarked.

If, for some reason, you are convinced it's worth the risk, make sure you have a back-up plan and insurance in case you miss your flight.

Very slim chance. I wouldn't try it. Were just off the Mariner a couple of weeks ago and our ship couldn't get cleared on time due to some people who didn't check in with immigration. We were *supposed* to be called to leave the ship by 9:30 and it was closer to 10:30. Then if traffic is bad on the 110 freeway, it can take a lot of time to get to the airport.

I don't think you would make that flight! I personally would not risk it.

Why ruin a perfect vacation by missing your flight home? Book something later and enjoy your cruise! By not having to stress & worry all week about disembarkation on Sunday morning, you are more likely to enjoy yourself. :D

There is a reason they don't recommend booking flights out of LAX before Noon! :)

I wouldn't risk it because I've been there/done that at LAX. We caught a 10:30 flight this past Sept. out of LAX, but we were just about running for it. We did walk-off disembarkation, grabbed a shuttle to LAX and were out of there VERY quickly. We lucked out that the security lines weren't bad. I've seen the line have hundreds of people in it and everything at LAX is a LONG walk.

If you enjoy stress, go for it! :D

Oh - someone mentioned the freeways. I believe it was yesterday that the 105 was closed down completely for hours, which made the 405 packed. You never know what traffic is going to be like or if our *wonderful* CalTrans workers will decide they need to stand around on the freeway for awhile tying up multiple lanes.

Oh - someone mentioned the freeways. I believe it was yesterday that the 105 was closed down completely for hours, which made the 405 packed. You never know what traffic is going to be like or if our *wonderful* CalTrans workers will decide they need to stand around on the freeway for awhile tying up multiple lanes.
OMG! Isn't that the truth? I was once returning from a trip into LAX and as we were exiting the airport, CalTrans had closed down the exit to the 405 and blocked it off which meant we had to go miles, in stop and go traffic, out of our way in order to get onto the 405.

Okay, okay, just thought I'd ask!! :D It just meant the difference between a free ticket and having to spend $$$$. And, now Alaska Airlines is instituting a luggage charge. Geesh...they get you one way or another, don't they!!!

As always, thanks for the input!!

Okay, okay, just thought I'd ask!! :D It just meant the difference between a free ticket and having to spend $$$$. And, now Alaska Airlines is instituting a luggage charge. Geesh...they get you one way or another, don't they!!!

As always, thanks for the input!!

Glad to hear you're listening. As a native Angeleno, I have seen the 405 freeway (the one that one takes to get to the freeway from the Harbor Fwy) jammed up, even on weekend mornings. And there's often construction going on. Add to that, late starts for disembarkation (that happened on our last cruise out of San Pedro) and security lines at LAX...

So even if someone else was lucky, it doesn't mean you'll be able to catch an early flight. Better to book one after noon, and if you get there in plenty of time, ask at the boarding desk if there's seats available on any earlier flights that haven't taken off yet.

I don't think you need to be confused. People are just saying book that time at your own risk and have a contingency in case you need it. My one and only time flying out of LAX after a cruise, we were at the airport by 930 (prior to the express walk-off days), but there is no way I would plan for that time should be cruise from there again.

I sure wouldn't do it, customs is sometimes really slow then the LA airport has huge lines to get your bag checked in and go through security. I know its tempting even 12:30 was tempting to us but to save gray hairs, we chose the 1:30 flight as we had 12:30 last time and just made it. And geesh....we are flying Alaska Air also and was not aware of the baggage charge but it appears we are exempted since we purchased the tickets back in December.

We flew Lax to Detroit in Feb., when we got off the Sapphire. Our flight was at 10:55 a.m., and THE only one that day with Northwest connecting into Canada, so we were classed as International. We had booked GoSedan, a private car, so that we didn't have to endure wait times and walked off the ship carrying/rolling our own luggage.

GoSedan was where they said they would be at 9 a.m. and we were at the airport with lots of time to spare. The driver said he was keeping an eye on traffic to ensure he could get off the freeway if necessary in order to keep to our schedule. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Watergal

I don't think you need to be confused. People are just saying book that time at your own risk and have a contingency in case you need it. My one and only time flying out of LAX after a cruise, we were at the airport by 930 (prior to the express walk-off days), but there is no way I would plan for that time should be cruise from there again.
Dan is right. Many people have made early flights and yes, it's possible you'll have no problems if you book that early flight. However, and it's a big however, you could very well experience delays either on the highway, checking in at the airport or getting through security, and if everything doesn't go right, you'll find yourself going to "Plan B." When I lived near Boston, I never booked a flight earlier than Noon. Sometimes I had a couple of hours to spare, sometimes I got to the gate as they were calling the flight. Unlike FLL, to get to LAX, you have to go on two highways that are often backed up with horrific traffic, night and day. Heck, I've taken my daughter to LAX several times for the red eye back to Boston leaving at almost 11PM and had bumper-to-bumper traffic going into LAX and even going through it to get to the terminal.

Archived