Has anybody skipped the muster?

AZchieffan

50 musters so far. Hope I attend 100 or more. Just like to see people blowing the whistle!:eek::D

LMAO - that is the best part! I love it when the crew member reminds the whistle blowers about the potential number of lips that have preceded theirs.

Worst part of the drill is standing in the hot sun with those nasty vests clinging to your neck. I usually borrow a hand towel for around my neck before putting the vest on. (Have you ever looked at the neck openings on them? :eek:)

Okay... let's say, for argument's sake, that everyone who skips muster drill on *this* forum actually has a clear plan, with no questions. You know what to do in an emergency.

And, let's further say that, in deference to all those knowledgable people, the cruise line decides to make muster drills optional. If you don't feel like you know it, don't come.

Really... if there was an emergency, what percentage of those who did not attend would actually know what to do? I suspect a very small percentage. Hence, there would be a huge segment of the passengers who would help create the chaos.

My point is, maybe... MAYBE, **you** (generic) don't need the muster drill. But, I think we all know that the majority of the people who would skip it would be... ummm.. less than helpful in an emergency.

So, we must have mandatory drills.

And, in regard to the remark that Carnival doesn't check.... if that is true, my guess is that they don't because the don't to hold up the other passengers any longer than we have to be. Personally, I'm all for the vast majority of the passengers just opting out for a while. Then they would *have* to go back to counting every head, and those people who think they are above the law can no longer hide behind those of us who don't really want to be there, but who understand the necessity. Then they would start ensuring that everyone gets their bums up there.

Gee whiz, people... it is 30 min out of your life.

According to this story, they did not have a lifeboat drill on the Titanic:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=2&res=9C0DEEDE103AE633A25753C2A9629C946396D6CF

Of course they didn't as they didn't have enought lifeboats and they were not about to let 3rd class passengers up onto the upper deck...

I typed that for dramatic purposes....

At least it got someone's attention (and I don't mean that in a negative way)... :D

And, in regard to the remark that Carnival doesn't check.... if that is true, my guess is that they don't because the don't to hold up the other passengers any longer than we have to be. Personally, I'm all for the vast majority of the passengers just opting out for a while. Then they would *have* to go back to counting every head, and those people who think they are above the law can no longer hide behind those of us who don't really want to be there, but who understand the necessity. Then they would start ensuring that everyone gets their bums up there.

The room stewards do check each room, I know because on one sailing I was very ill and in the bathroom when they simply opened the cabin door to see if anyone was inside. Lucky for me they didn't try the bathroom door.:) Nothing was ever said about me not being at the drill but the rest of my family was so they may have not noticed that I wasn't there

On the last 3 cruises that I have been on, they have checked you off on a master list. I was told that anyone that did not attend would be contacted and be required to attend another muster at a later time. Not sure they really do that or not????

The Muster drill is not only for the Passenger it is also for the Crew. I work in heavy industry and we do a muster drill ever month to ensure everyone knows what to do in an emergency. Not going to a Muster Drill where I work is just cause to have your employment terminated.

A muster is a drill that is meant to save your life as well as the crew responsible for looking for missing passengers. “IF” there is an issue on the ship that calls for a muster and your name or number is called and you don’t answer, someone has to go look for you putting their life at risk.

You may think a muster is no big deal because you have done it many times before on other Cruises, however did you ever think that the crew member that could be your rescuer needs to know about his group of passengers?

I have been rescued from a near death experience and it works don’t make it harder for all the people that put your life at risk trying to help you!

MC

They have not taken attendance in recent memory on Carnival, and certainly would not go through the trouble of calling every room of the "skippers". I understand that they do a cursory check of the cabins, though. /quote]

They may not call out names, but they do check you off their list. When we were on the Glory last May the crew member looked at the cabin number on our life vest and checked it off her clipboard:

Vest.jpg.457f14539a0f0f9266fb7c23ce4e62b2.jpg

Clipboard.jpg.1d18245040cd1d332dc20e0c84bcd5dc.jpg

i am not going to say one way or the other if i have skipped the muster drill, t

maybe i have, maybe i havn't.

but what i do is take personal responsibiltiy for my own safety, not going to rely on anybody else for that.

everybody assumes (yes that a word) that in an actual emergency everybody,

all the passengers will play nicey nicey, and that everybody will remain calm, and civilized.

women and children first, blah blah, red indians, spacemen.

i have been in several situations, not cruise related, but emergency none the less, and i expect exactly the opposite ,i expect people to stampeed like frightened wild animals, to trample each other,push, and shove, to get in the first available boat to get off the ship

they won't remember or care, after all they all look alike,they just want off.

and if, or when, they have to get in the water, if they don't have a lifejacket for whatever reason, they wont care they will take yours because as we see even on this board they are much more important than you are.

you see the attitude

then when in the water they will stand on you to stay above water. untill they are rescued first.

just think it over

We get to participate in fire drills every month. That means that since I have started teaching at my school 3 years ago, I have done about 30 or so of these drills.

Do I get to skip out now because I feel I "know what to do?" :rolleyes:

Ok, enough...............everyone have a great cruise, and stop worrying about what other people do, or do not do. Just like the way people dress is the dining room. I could care less what other people wear, say, do,don't do, etc. Have a great vacation, that is what cruising is, a vacation, not an event to judge and to be judged by others!!!! Can we all stop with the comments? the origional poster was just curious to see if people have skipped the drill, not asking for these harsh comments made by people. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: HAVE FUN!!!!!

Ok, enough...............everyone have a great cruise, and stop worrying about what other people do, or do not do. Just like the way people dress is the dining room. I could care less what other people wear, say, do,don't do, etc. Have a great vacation, that is what cruising is, a vacation, not an event to judge and to be judged by others!!!! Can we all stop with the comments? the origional poster was just curious to see if people have skipped the drill, not asking for these harsh comments made by people. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: HAVE FUN!!!!!

Well, now that Carnival knows your sail date and ship, I hope they track you down to perform your responsibility.

HAVE FUN!

LMAO - that is the best part! I love it when the crew member reminds the whistle blowers about the potential number of lips that have preceded theirs.

Worst part of the drill is standing in the hot sun with those nasty vests clinging to your neck. I usually borrow a hand towel for around my neck before putting the vest on. (Have you ever looked at the neck openings on them? :eek:)

I have my manservant dry clean, press, and block my life vest while he is doing my Italian linen sheets. One must never be gosh!

My husband and I skip it and test out the bed.

There will be many times to test the bed when I cruise on my honeymoon. But I don't think we will skip the muster drill. I want to know what to do if my ship starts turning into the titanic.

okay.. where to begin:

1: Yes, Muster Drill is required by maritime law.

2: Yes, you really should do it.

f you have a look on the back of your cabin door, the map is there right along with instructions on how to put on your lifevest. You can call people dumb all you like, but then again people that are dumb can also read a map and get in their cars and go someplace for the first time.

If you've cruised more than once, you'll remember how to put on your lifejacket just like you'll remember how to ride a bike if you haven't done it 10 years. The only thing that really changes is your muster station, and if you're anywhere other than your cabin should the abandon ship order be given, you'll need to go to the cabin first to get your lifevest anyhow.

I have to disagree with you.

If it's the middle of the night, and you're woken from a deep sleep because of the emergency signal, you may well have difficulty remembering where the lifejacket is, and then waste precious time donning it because you are unfamiliar with it.

An emergency is also not a good time to be trying to figure out, for the first time, how to get to your muster station.

It's only a few minutes from your vacation. For all of our sakes, please attend the muster drill!

Emergencies can develop with frightening speed, and the time you save by having recent knowledge can save your life.

We've been on eight cruises and we always go to the muster drill. While we hope that we never actually have to evacuate, at least we've gone through the motions and we know where we are supposed to go.

I'm also the one who checks out the back of the hotel room door when I am in any hotel on land, figure out the nearest exit and count the # of doors between me and my escape route. You just never know when it's going to be you.

On the first cruise that we took my stepson and one of his friends, they skipped the muster drill in favor of sleep. Apparently the room steward tried to wake them and, being unsuccessful, gave up. I was perturbed but we didn't find out about it until later. [They did sleep like the dead as we found out when we tried to wake them up for debarkation at the end of the cruise]

It's great that we're on a cruise to have fun, but the difference here is that what other people, or fail to do, can directly affect your life and safety.

There's an implication in the OP's original question that they do, or are thinking of, skipping the muster drill, so it seems approriate that people voice their concerns.

I have my manservant dry clean, press, and block my life vest while he is doing my Italian linen sheets. One must never be gosh!

I would rather look gauche and feel comfortable than to look chic and have 100 other people's neck sweat on me. :D

I wonder if your manservant could line the vest with fine Italian linen a la toga. :cool:

I've gone on every one, not because I need to, but because *others* need me to.

It always amazes me how people don't think the laws/rules apply to them. In fact, it amazed me more when I think about it is because they rely on those who follow the rules to ensure there isn't chaos. In other words, people who behave as if they are above the law often do so on the backs of others; it is only because other people follow the rules, learn what to do in an emergency, etc, that they are able to engage in this behavior.

So, not only is it selfish because the rest of us are kept waiting, but it is selfish because if everyone skipped the muster drill, relying on others to direct them in an emergency, there *would* be chaos in an emergency.... and people would suffer for it.

<<grumble, grumble>>

Some rules/conventions have no purpose. They are just done, well, because it always has been this way, or because some made an arbitrary rule. Some rules, however, have a legitimate purpose. The purpose of this one is to ensure the highest level of awareness -- in all passengers -- in case of a dire emergency. If you feel the need to be a maverick (and yes, sometimes I do), do it somewhere else. This is not the place for it.

Wow, very eloquently put!;)

Need we say more?!

Smiles, Connie

Okay, I would normally always go to the muster drill. I'm a very by-the-book person, and I do agree that it's necessary to know what to do BEFORE an emergency happens.

Here's a twist on this question, though. I'm taking my sister on a cruise next spring, to celebrate her birthday. She has SEVERE issues about being in crowds, and will undoubtedly have a very difficult time getting through a muster drill. I am considering approaching someone - would it be the purser? - to see if we could go through the muster process at a separate time, with a smaller group of people. Does this idea make sense?

Before the flaming commences, yes, I do realize that if there is an emergency, the situation would be chaotic. I'm trying to compromise so that we are as prepared as possible, without having undue stress for my sister, bearing in mind that a real emergency is a very remote possibility.

Here's a twist on this question, though. I'm taking my sister on a cruise next spring, to celebrate her birthday. She has SEVERE issues about being in crowds, and will undoubtedly have a very difficult time getting through a muster drill. I am considering approaching someone - would it be the purser? - to see if we could go through the muster process at a separate time, with a smaller group of people. Does this idea make sense?

We had someone in our group who had this problem. She was allowed to stand beside the crew during the entire muster drill. During our recent B2B our cabin steward told us if we wanted we could pass on the muster drill. Just stay in our cabin until it was over.

It's great that we're on a cruise to have fun, but the difference here is that what other people, or fail to do, can directly affect your life and safety.

There's an implication in the OP's original question that they do, or are thinking of, skipping the muster drill, so it seems approriate that people voice their concerns.

I had no intentions of skipping the muster, I have my family with me and I always attend the muster. I originally asked this question because I have read other posts saying they skipped the muster. So I wanted to know what these people did during that time. Im glad I started this post so people know how important it is.

Archived