Has anybody skipped the muster?

AZchieffan

It's great that we're on a cruise to have fun, but the difference here is that what other people, or fail to do, can directly affect your life and safety.

There's an implication in the OP's original question that they do, or are thinking of, skipping the muster drill, so it seems approriate that people voice their concerns.

...or damn them to hell for even bringing up the subject... ;)

i am not going to say one way or the other if i have skipped the muster drill, t

maybe i have, maybe i havn't.

but what i do is take personal responsibiltiy for my own safety, not going to rely on anybody else for that.

everybody assumes (yes that a word) that in an actual emergency everybody,

all the passengers will play nicey nicey, and that everybody will remain calm, and civilized.

women and children first, blah blah, red indians, spacemen.

i have been in several situations, not cruise related, but emergency none the less, and i expect exactly the opposite ,i expect people to stampeed like frightened wild animals, to trample each other,push, and shove, to get in the first available boat to get off the ship

they won't remember or care, after all they all look alike,they just want off.

and if, or when, they have to get in the water, if they don't have a lifejacket for whatever reason, they wont care they will take yours because as we see even on this board they are much more important than you are.

you see the attitude

then when in the water they will stand on you to stay above water. untill they are rescued first.

just think it over

Not really sure what your point is? It is part of maritime law to perform this drill. Just go do it and get it over with and quit complaining about it. As far as everyone stampeding like frightened animals that may happen but most ships don't sink in 5 minutes it takes hours so they have time to go to their stations and get off in an orderly fashion. And looking at the plane that crashed into the river everyone was courteous and no one did anything like what you said people would do and they all got out safely.

OK, I'll add my couple of pennies.....

On our first Cruise, we were thinking about skipping the muster drill; the wife and i where... :ohow do u say it.........ready for some adult fun.....:D

But we went anyway; we weren't going to get anything accomplished w/ the room steward banging on the door anyway..........

Needless to say we were a few drinks in, and feeling pretty good.....

But once I saw all those people, (didn't realize how many other people were on the ship until then)...and all their life vest, I realized.. hey this is important, and could actually save me life.....

I was all business after that, heck I had to make sure I knew.........JUST in case.

We are bringing our 6 yr old daughter this time, and I know she will love it... I've just got to remind her NOT to blow the whistle.........lol

first of all, there is no need for name calling.

i've been on 30 or

so cruises and have often skipped the muster call, because it

is 100 degrees, i have a leg injury and don't enjoy being crammed

in with 80 other sweaty people.

with that said, it's never a bad idea to go. it's hard to stay

in your room, because they make shrill noises at a loud

decibel level, makiing it hard to nap.

they don't always check your room. i've never had much

said to me about not going.

one time i just stayed on an upper deck. a crewman asked

me why i wasn't at muster drill. i just shrugged and he left

me alone.

besides, an actual emergency wouldn't resemble a drill

anyways, if everyone was running around panicky.

for the record, i was on a liveaboard scuba diving boat

with 20 passengers and crew that sank off of St. Kitts.

We all survived. a very long night.

my ex-wife's teddy bear was glad he had his own life preserver,

and kept saying, "women and bears first!"

happy cruising!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it is perfectly ok for the ships crew to skip the practice fire fighting' date=' man over board and other drill if they have already done it once. Why practice?

Once is enough and if anything bad happens I can count on them to remember what to do.

Or can I?[/quote']

I think this is hands down the best response I have seen on questions about skipping the muster drill.

Muster drill or not, if the ship started to actually sink, people will ignore what they are supposed to do and it will just turn into a mass hysteria anyways.

But maybe, just maybe, some of them will remain calm, and remember what they learned at the muster drill? I give SOME people more credit.:rolleyes:

I don't understand people who skip muster, and I really don't know why they brag about it.

You may think you're too smart to attend muster and under perfect conditions you probably are. However, in the dark, in a confusing situation with panicking people it is a good idea to have gone to muster.

gtouch

my point is its more important to watch you and your own butt when

there really is an emergency, if you can get the people who matter to you off the the ship in actual emergency without throwing somebody under it, great job done.

but be aware there are people out there that will throw you under the sinking ship to save themselves for what ever reason

it probably doesn't matter either way if you attend the drill or don't. as long as you know what to do in an actual emergency. yea its the law, attend the drill blah blah (notice i still won't say either way if i have skipped the drill or not)

but like people don't break the law a thousand time a day,

ever drive faster than the posted speed limit? ever make an illegal right on red? ever j walk? we all break the law.

yes i acknowledge theres probably 1 or 2 sanctimonoius a$$ out there who will say i never break the law.

i dont care if you attend the drill once twice or never.

i don't care they give out gold stickers for drill attendance.

worry about the actual emergency.

i dont care, if somebody gives me dirty looks because they did, or didn't see me at the drill. to quote john heald bugger off.

what really matters is when the problem is real

that's when it counts to know what's what, and what to do to save you and yours without scarificing others.

Ok, enough...............everyone have a great cruise, and stop worrying about what other people do, or do not do. Just like the way people dress is the dining room. I could care less what other people wear, say, do,don't do, etc. Have a great vacation, that is what cruising is, a vacation, not an event to judge and to be judged by others!!!! Can we all stop with the comments? the origional poster was just curious to see if people have skipped the drill, not asking for these harsh comments made by people. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: HAVE FUN!!!!!

Not at all comparable.

What people wear has no impact on me.... it doesn't create chaos in a crisis, and it doesn't make me wait longer at dinner.

Ok, enough...............everyone have a great cruise, and stop worrying about what other people do, or do not do. Just like the way people dress is the dining room. I could care less what other people wear, say, do,don't do, etc. Have a great vacation, that is what cruising is, a vacation, not an event to judge and to be judged by others!!!! Can we all stop with the comments? the origional poster was just curious to see if people have skipped the drill, not asking for these harsh comments made by people. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: HAVE FUN!!!!!

for the record, i could give a flying fart who skips muster or not. my view is i am on vacation, so time is flexible. if muster does last longer because of people trying to skip the drill, then those people have their heads up their butts. they (and anyone else concerned with the drama of it) will have to contend with this affliction, because i have no desire to help them out with it.

there is yet to be a comment on this thread which is truly harsh. some people need to realize they are not going to control the irritation of the masses of people who put a value on every moment of their vacation, and when someone messes with someone's time, they have every right to get cranky.

it is a far different situation than what one wears to dinner. that does not affect anyone's time. i look forward to watching the drama unfold this july. i am sure that i will observe both types.

Not at all comparable.

What people wear has no impact on me.... it doesn't create chaos in a crisis, and it doesn't make me wait longer at dinner.

Skipping the muster drill does NOT create chaos in a crisis, nor does it make you wait longer.

whoever does skip the drill, will be more prepared, because they will already be in their cabin where the life vests are:D:D

now lets all, whatever your opinions are, agree to disagree with each other, and move on to another topic, I know I am going to do just that.

P.S.

I WILL be attending the muster drill on my next cruise this Saturday, because our best friends are joining us, and they have never cruised before.:p

whoever does skip the drill, will be more prepared, because they will already be in their cabin where the life vests are:D:D

now lets all, whatever your opinions are, agree to disagree with each other, and move on to another topic, I know I am going to do just that.

P.S.

I WILL be attending the muster drill on my next cruise this Saturday, because our best friends are joining us, and they have never cruised before.:p

Amen! Enjoy your cruise in 4 days!! I'm jealous :)

gtouch

my point is its more important to watch you and your own butt when

there really is an emergency, if you can get the people who matter to you off the the ship in actual emergency without throwing somebody under it, great job done.

but be aware there are people out there that will throw you under the sinking ship to save themselves for what ever reason

it probably doesn't matter either way if you attend the drill or don't. as long as you know what to do in an actual emergency. yea its the law, attend the drill blah blah (notice i still won't say either way if i have skipped the drill or not)

but like people don't break the law a thousand time a day,

ever drive faster than the posted speed limit? ever make an illegal right on red? ever j walk? we all break the law.

yes i acknowledge theres probably 1 or 2 sanctimonoius a$$ out there who will say i never break the law.

i dont care if you attend the drill once twice or never.

i don't care they give out gold stickers for drill attendance.

worry about the actual emergency.

i dont care, if somebody gives me dirty looks because they did, or didn't see me at the drill. to quote john heald bugger off.

what really matters is when the problem is real

that's when it counts to know what's what, and what to do to save you and yours without scarificing others.

I guess as a former Navy SEAL we were never trained that "to watch your own butt in an emergency" was the proper way to handle things. I do believe in training and doing the right thing at the right time. If you don't that's ok just don't be standing beside me or my family when something happens as you will be the problem that causes other to lose their lives needlessly.

I didn't read through all the replies, so if this has been mentioned I apologize.

Another good reason to GO is if you have children with you. It's at this time they get their Muster Station wristband that they wear throughout the cruise. So if there IS an emergency, Camp Carnival staff know where to take your children to meet up with you. If we're abandoning ship, I would never want my children to be anywhere but with ME.

I didn't read through all the replies, so if this has been mentioned I apologize.

Another good reason to GO is if you have children with you. It's at this time they get their Muster Station wristband that they wear throughout the cruise. So if there IS an emergency, Camp Carnival staff know where to take your children to meet up with you. If we're abandoning ship, I would never want my children to be anywhere but with ME.

You sound like a great parent. Have a great time on your cruise.

I could care less if you know what to do in an emergency or attend the muster, however if I have to be there longer because YOU decided not to attend you can bet your sweet patootie you will hear a big ole BUGGER OFF from me. I mean we all know that YOUR preference is way more important than my time. Hope those of y'all that skip are never on a ship with me because if you are paged and they track you down I will make fun of you, I will make snotty comments and I will video you and post you on you tube and I might even photoshop it to make you a hunchback so there!

Seriously we are mostly intelligent folks but practice does make perfect get off your entitlment horse and go to the freakin' drill.

Archived