Has anybody skipped the muster?

AZchieffan

I've gone on every one, not because I need to, but because *others* need me to.

It always amazes me how people don't think the laws/rules apply to them. In fact, it amazed me more when I think about it is because they rely on those who follow the rules to ensure there isn't chaos. In other words, people who behave as if they are above the law often do so on the backs of others; it is only because other people follow the rules, learn what to do in an emergency, etc, that they are able to engage in this behavior.

So, not only is it selfish because the rest of us are kept waiting, but it is selfish because if everyone skipped the muster drill, relying on others to direct them in an emergency, there *would* be chaos in an emergency.... and people would suffer for it.

<<grumble, grumble>>

Some rules/conventions have no purpose. They are just done, well, because it always has been this way, or because some made an arbitrary rule. Some rules, however, have a legitimate purpose. The purpose of this one is to ensure the highest level of awareness -- in all passengers -- in case of a dire emergency. If you feel the need to be a maverick (and yes, sometimes I do), do it somewhere else. This is not the place for it.

Why do these threads continue pop up and be allowed?

It is always those who try to skip the drill that keeps everyone at the muster station waiting:mad: until you are cleared from your hiding place to get to a 10 minute period of your vacation.

People who try to skip the drill would be the first to complain when they don't know where to go or what to do if something were to happen. I never got why passengers would actually try to skip a drill.

Just wondering if anybody has ever skipped the muster drill. If so, what do you usually do?

7th post, so I'll forgive you.....

But, I wonder how many people on the Titanic skipped the muster drill.

Kind of like not fastening your seatbelt when the plane is landing....

You know it's gonna be fine, but there is always that slim chance... and if it happens, who is gonna hold your hand.

It is ridiculous to skip your muster station drill.

Its 30 minutes out of your vacation that WILL save your life.

I've been involved in emergency situations before where the General Emergency Alarm has gone off, and people don't know what to do because they didn't go to boat drill. Those are always the people that are running around, inciting panic with their fellow guests.

Don't be one of those people. Nobody likes that person.

I honestly wish the Coast Guard and cruise lines would first levy a LARGE fine for anyone caught skipping the drill followed by immediately kicking them off the ship.

I certainly hope in a real emergency I'm not stuck beside the ones who didn't go.:mad: Doesn't matter if you think you know - it is there for practice and as a reminder. Also - every ship's procedures could be different.

Anyone who does skip it is.....ummmmm how do you say it?.....STUPID!!!

thank you for your opinion...I will be sure to give it the same consideration as the person who cuts me off in traffic and gives me the one finger salute

A few years back on RCL they called out cabin #s and checked off all that were there. My sister and brother-inlaw wern't there and got a letter in there cabin asking them to report to a lounge for the late drill the first night after dinner. And I herd the cabin stew got a black mark for not checking on them.

I posted this question a week or so ago, and people got so nasty, I asked Mach to take it off.

But to clarify: if you don't get caught skipping the muster drill, you are not wasting anyone's time. On Carnival, they do come to each cabin to check, and if they open the door and do not see you, how is that wasting time? On Princess, they do not check. I have been to so many muster drills, I could recite them by now, so the last two cruises, I did skip them. They are a waste of time to me, and that is just my opinion.

okay.. where to begin:

1: Yes, Muster Drill is required by maritime law.

2: Yes, you really should do it.

However,

1: Carnival's enforcement is fairly lax, and calling cabin #'s hasn't happened since I've been cruising (only 3 years, granted).

2: If you have a look on the back of your cabin door, the map is there right along with instructions on how to put on your lifevest. You can call people dumb all you like, but then again people that are dumb can also read a map and get in their cars and go someplace for the first time.

If you've cruised more than once, you'll remember how to put on your lifejacket just like you'll remember how to ride a bike if you haven't done it 10 years. The only thing that really changes is your muster station, and if you're anywhere other than your cabin should the abandon ship order be given, you'll need to go to the cabin first to get your lifevest anyhow.

As stated by The_Answer_is_42 & Myangel, Carnival and Princess do not take attendance, so do not blame the "skippers" for the length of time the muster drill takes. In fact, my last two times on the Elation, it took 50 minutes! That is enough to make anyone want to skip.

Royal Caribbean & HAL do take attendance. I do not remember about Celebrity.

People learn in different ways. I personally learn better if I have to do the research myself rather than following along in the herd. I can read the map on the back of the door.

Here is how I see...I am a flight attendant for a major US Airline...I feel that it is the same as the people who feel a need to chat during the safety demo...It is disrespectful, and can cause other people to lose their lives!:( These people will be the first ones to be scared as hell, when there is an emergency because they have no clue what to do! Just be respectful, and pay attention...Thanks for doing this!

Anyone skipping muster should be blindfolded, and made to find their muster station without any help.

And then put off the ship.

Having been delayed with a muster that lasted over 1 1/2 hours as the Coast Guard was aboard and two people were missing from their muster stations, I will personally pitch anyone who tries this stunt on a ship I am on over the side. :mad: This was rude and discourteous to 3,000 other passengers.

You must go to your muster station and you could be forced to disembark if you fail to do so. This is an International Regulation.

Doc

I remember skipping my very first muster drill. I was in my early 20's and was traveling with a much older friend that had cruised several times. She suggested that we hang out in our cabin instead. I had heard so much about the drill being a requirement that I was surprised when no one came to our cabin to check.

I have since then been to every muster drill, as I feel it is important to attend. I do have to admit, however, that at most drills, I had already had several sail-away celebratory drinks and probably would have had a hard time remembering any specific instructions given ;)

7th post, so I'll forgive you.....

But, I wonder how many people on the Titanic skipped the muster drill.

Kind of like not fastening your seatbelt when the plane is landing....

You know it's gonna be fine, but there is always that slim chance... and if it happens, who is gonna hold your hand.

According to this story, they did not have a lifeboat drill on the Titanic:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=2&res=9C0DEEDE103AE633A25753C2A9629C946396D6CF

I posted this question a week or so ago, and people got so nasty, I asked Mach to take it off.

But to clarify: if you don't get caught skipping the muster drill, you are not wasting anyone's time. On Carnival, they do come to each cabin to check, and if they open the door and do not see you, how is that wasting time? On Princess, they do not check. I have been to so many muster drills, I could recite them by now, so the last two cruises, I did skip them. They are a waste of time to me, and that is just my opinion.

I mean no offense, but I'm really astounded. I guess I don't understand - if you think a law or regulation is a waste of time it doesn't apply to you and you don't have to comply? I have yearly testing at work on various regulatory stuff I have done so many times over the years I could recite it, too. Yet I still have to do it. And that doesn't even involve my safety or that of thousands of others. I do it to keep my job. I understand that you think it's a waste of time, but I also think that you should comply because it's the right thing to do and the law. Sitting at red lights when there's no other traffic around is a waste of time to me but that doesn't mean I disregard the law and run the light.

All that this tells me is that there should be some kind of penalty for skipping muster - maybe it would make people reconsider.

Having been delayed with a muster that lasted over 1 1/2 hours as the Coast Guard was aboard and two people were missing from their muster stations, I will personally pitch anyone who tries this stunt on a ship I am on over the side. :mad: This was rude and discourteous to 3,000 other passengers.

You must go to your muster station and you could be forced to disembark if you fail to do so. This is an International Regulation.

Doc

Don't you think this would be just a tad bit harsh...Homicide for missing a Muster Drill? I hope nobody parks in your favorite parking spot at work. ;)

And that doesn't mean us "skippers" are stupid. Thanks!

Yes, it does.

Q: BTW, can you name the last ship that didn't hold a muster drill?

A: Titanic. The Coast Guard requirement for holding a muster drill is a direct result of her sinking. Think about it.

In ten cruises I have never skipped a muster drill. Went to every single one.

And, I listen to the talks that the flight attendants give, too. I have to listen to anything that might help me in an emergency.

Thanks for explaining that! Now I understand why it's okay to keep other people waiting, wasting their time, while the staff tries to locate you.

On some cruise lines, you cannot escape the muster drill. They will keep calling your cabin number until you answer. On others, you are sent to a lounge indoors while the crew check the cabins -- so there is no hiding.

MARAPRINCE

They have not taken attendance in recent memory on Carnival, and certainly would not go through the trouble of calling every room of the "skippers". I understand that they do a cursory check of the cabins, though. FWIW, I do go to the drill, but if others choose not to go - more room on the lifeboat for me. :cool:

okay.. where to begin:

1: Yes, Muster Drill is required by maritime law.

2: Yes, you really should do it.

However,

1: Carnival's enforcement is fairly lax, and calling cabin #'s hasn't happened since I've been cruising (only 3 years, granted).

2: If you have a look on the back of your cabin door, the map is there right along with instructions on how to put on your lifevest. You can call people dumb all you like, but then again people that are dumb can also read a map and get in their cars and go someplace for the first time.

If you've cruised more than once, you'll remember how to put on your lifejacket just like you'll remember how to ride a bike if you haven't done it 10 years. The only thing that really changes is your muster station, and if you're anywhere other than your cabin should the abandon ship order be given, you'll need to go to the cabin first to get your lifevest anyhow.

Yeah, not much to learn once you've done the drill once, but I figure going through the motions reinforces how to get to the mustard :p station in the event of an actual emergency.

Archived