Has anybody skipped the muster?

AZchieffan

Both of my sisters tried to skip the drill, they were tipsy in their cabin. They were hunted down and taken to the drill, and both of them said to this day they feel soooo stupid as EVERY eye was on them. Go to the drill, it only holds everyone else up.

I cannot believe that this idiotic discussion has gone on for 6 pages. Yes, there have been some very funny responses, but this is serious stuff. Musters are required for a very good reason. It's not just knowing how to put on the jacket - it's being able to find your way calmly to the station and to remain calm. Some of you scoffers would be the first to trample people...just like some did on the plane that landed in the Hudson. No one takes those safety speeches seriously either- "Yawn - I've been on 1,000 planes; I know this by heart." Well, when tragedy strikes, memories fail and panic sets in.

So go to the musters and listen. Get off your cellphones and cease silly conversations. It is only a very short part of the first day. Not much to ask in the interest and safety of all.

Perhaps if attendance at muster drills was enforced, then people would be less inclined to skip? I can see, after a few of the drills we attended, why some people would find them a waste of time.

We have done 4 Carnival cruises. The only one where we actually were checked off if we were there was on our Spirit Alaskan cruise. The other Carnival cruises were a joke at muster, with the worst being our Inspiration from Tampa cruise, where we were in a lounge, could not even see the little short female crewmember that was supposed to be handling the drill (being short myself, I already have a hard time seeing beyond the tall people in front of me!), the rest of the crew running the drill were just hanging out, joking around with the girl in front, and she was not even trying to speak above a whisper during the explanation parts, so no one could hear anything. Not many around us were paying attention, but because we have young children, we tried to. Other than our Spirit cruise, we have never felt that Carnival gave us a muster drill where we felt confident in knowing what to do if there were an emergency.

We have also done 5 Disney cruises. There is no option, you do not miss muster drill, you are checked off when you get to your station, and if you are not present, the whole drill group is held until you arrive. You will be found, and you will have your life jacket on, the crew will be serious and act like they know know what to do if there were an emergency, and you will feel like you know what to do for yourself and family if need be. There is no fun being had in anyone's cabin during muster.;)

Perhaps, if Carnival was more serious, shipwide, about the muster drill, there would be no people missing it. But when the drill seems like a joke to even the crew, I am not surprised that some people may not feel the need to go. It is not right, but if there are no consequences, it will continue.

Does anyone know if its OK to smuggle your liquor back off the ship and onto the life boat in case of emergency?:)

We actually missed a life boat drill on accident. We heard the announcement and decided to wait a few minutes so we would be near the front. Just as we started out of our cabin we heard the CD start the drill. At that point We were to embarassed to head down. Nobody ever came in our cabin to check if we were there.

I do agree that everyone should attend, and we kinda enjoy it. Signals the official start of the cruise.

we just got back 2 weeks ago from a short 4 day to ensenada from L.A.;the last night around 11 pm the sound for emergency went off, we were freaked out, we had just gotten to our cabin when this shrill noise started up thru the speaker, at first we thought it was a short or something in the system and the cruise director was going on to tell us something , so some of us were at our doors asking each other what was up, 2 kids in the cabin next to us found some cruise employee workers in the hallway who proceeded to tell the kids it was FOR REAl, GET THE JACKETS AND GO AS THE DRILL HAD TAUGHT THEM;so they tell me this and I thoght ok lets hear an offical announcment thats got to be coming up, sure enough but actually over 5 minutes later a guy comeS on sayIng it was an accident , no worries a short in the electrical system, few minutes later he repeated all was ok again..IT WAS NOT FUNNY AND VERY SERIOUS HAD IT BEEN FOR REAL.i In my opinion some kind of compensation or whatever, should have been delivered to peoples staterooms that night because of the scare, water, cookies fruit anything as an apology for the scare. Nothing was ever addressed about it at all aferwards. This was shorlty after the pirate scare ephisode too. People who skip these drills are total idiots. You never know what can happen.

IT WAS NOT FUNNY AND VERY SERIOUS HAD IT BEEN FOR REAL.i In my opinion some kind of compensation or whatever, should have been delivered to peoples staterooms .

HAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAH HAHAHAAHAH

:D

Oh Beatriz22 you are such a character, I was having such a serious time reading your thread and then I came to this line.....I love your sense of humour, I soooooo want to buy you a drink on the next cruise.

I agree wholeheartedly though, anyone who avoids the muster is going to be the first one standing in the gangway with a panicked look on their face asking what to do next.

..IT WAS NOT FUNNY AND VERY SERIOUS HAD IT BEEN FOR REAL.i In my opinion some kind of compensation or whatever, should have been delivered to peoples staterooms that night because of the scare, water, cookies fruit anything as an apology for the scare.

"Meeez Beetriz, here is an apple, sorry we made you soil your undies"

:confused:

I didnt mean financial compenstaion ,maybe I used the wrong word, but a " so sorry we scared you" thing of some kind with a bottle of water or s thing small, a note woudlve worked as well. Some people never even heard the follow up announcment and were still in the hallways,some grabbing life jackets; I mean a piece of paper slipped under the door with an explanation wouldve helped to avoid the follow up uncertainity and worry that occurred among many on there; and trust me after those 2 long shrill drill sounds many beers wouldve been appreciated at the time ;you werent there I was; point was there shouldve been a formal apology/explanation in detail shortly after, not a 5 second announcement of "it appears we may have an electrical short", dont those start fires?????? beers wouldve been accepted at our door! I can express my opinion here if I want to and am just advising what happend and what can., keep your apple

I didnt mean financial compenstaion ,maybe I used the wrong word, but a " so sorry we scared you" thing of some kind with a bottle of water or s thing small, a note woudlve worked as well. Some people never even heard the follow up announcment and were still in the hallways,some grabbing life jackets; I mean a piece of paper slipped under the door with an explanation wouldve helped to avoid the follow up uncertainity and worry that occurred among many on there; and trust me after those 2 long shrill drill sounds many beers wouldve been appreciated at the time ;you werent there I was; point was there shouldve been a formal apology/explanation in detail shortly after, not a 5 second announcement of "it appears we may have an electrical short", dont those start fires?????? beers wouldve been accepted at our door! I can express my opinion here if I want to and am just advising what happend and what can., keep your apple

YOU TELL 'EM....an apple? you have to be kidding....I stand by what I said....I so want to buy you a drink...and not one of those cheap tacky sailaway cocktails either...honey...we are going all out and champagne for us!;)

an apple....really! who could get drunk and incouragable on an apple...

"Meeez Beetriz, here is an apple, sorry we made you soil your undies"

:confused:

ROFL. i want to buy stevencindy a drink. if they are that hysterically sarcastic, i want to buy them a cruise, so i can laugh my bottom off for several days in a row.:p

I was on the Paradise when the alarm went off. We were in one of the nightclubs and were dancing. The band stopped and all of the waiters and employees were calling on their cells to see what was going on. Many employees were quickly moving along the hallways. The cruise director did not come on until 5 minutes later. The alarm was still sounding and it was loud. The cruise director came on again one more time. Then after a few minutes more, the Captain came on the loudspeaker to talk to all of us. He sounded like he had been asleep. I was very happy we were in the top of the ship because our cabin was very low. I am certain it would have frightened me if I had been in the cabin.

For your safety & everyone else onboard.....go to the Muster Drill. :rolleyes: It's people like those that skip it that would cause chaos if there was a real emergency.

I don't mind if people can't find the lifeboat in an emergency, that's more room for me.

:eek:

Just wondering if anybody has ever skipped the muster drill. If so, what do you usually do?

I wonder how many of these people skipped the lifeboat drill?

If you listen, you can hear echoes of: "It can't happen to me." "It's a waste of time." "It's my vacation and I just don't want to go." "I've been to a lot of drills so I don't need to go."

I don't mind if people can't find the lifeboat in an emergency, that's more room for me.

:eek:

Wow, that kind of statement coming from a CC Host...kinda surprises me, I would have thought you'd take the High Road.

Perhaps if attendance at muster drills was enforced, then people would be less inclined to skip? I can see, after a few of the drills we attended, why some people would find them a waste of time.

We have done 4 Carnival cruises. The only one where we actually were checked off if we were there was on our Spirit Alaskan cruise. The other Carnival cruises were a joke at muster, with the worst being our Inspiration from Tampa cruise, where we were in a lounge, could not even see the little short female crewmember that was supposed to be handling the drill (being short myself, I already have a hard time seeing beyond the tall people in front of me!), the rest of the crew running the drill were just hanging out, joking around with the girl in front, and she was not even trying to speak above a whisper during the explanation parts, so no one could hear anything. Not many around us were paying attention, but because we have young children, we tried to. Other than our Spirit cruise, we have never felt that Carnival gave us a muster drill where we felt confident in knowing what to do if there were an emergency.

We have also done 5 Disney cruises. There is no option, you do not miss muster drill, you are checked off when you get to your station, and if you are not present, the whole drill group is held until you arrive. You will be found, and you will have your life jacket on, the crew will be serious and act like they know know what to do if there were an emergency, and you will feel like you know what to do for yourself and family if need be. There is no fun being had in anyone's cabin during muster.;)

Perhaps, if Carnival was more serious, shipwide, about the muster drill, there would be no people missing it. But when the drill seems like a joke to even the crew, I am not surprised that some people may not feel the need to go. It is not right, but if there are no consequences, it will continue.

Ok I will try this again as my first response was deleted by the powers that be. Since you were only required or "checked off" (once) you feel it is ok to skip is that correct? Please explain to me since this is a legal requirement and can save lives why do YOU feel it is ok to skip. All the responses to skip so far have been (ok I have to be careful here so they don't delete me) less than spectacular. If anyone has an intellegent response because none have been so far (in my opinion) as to why it is ok for the few, the proud the privileged to skip it I would like to know. So if all 3000 skipped it oh wait 4200 with crew it would be ok. Now that is really some revolutionary thinking that will make us all safer.

Hmm, gtouch, not really sure how you are getting that I am saying it is ok to skip? :confused: But, this is a message board, and as with many messages on this board, things can be misunderstood!

What I did say was that I can see WHY people skip, since muster drills don't appear to be enforced on 3 of my 4 Carnival cruises. If you are inclined to feel that the muster drill is a waste of time, and there is no strong enforcement to make people attend, then I can see why those that feel it is a waste of time would not attend (just trying to see every side of the coin). I NEVER said that I skip. I DID say that I have children, and we were one of the few paying attention.

I do believe that muster drill attendance needs to be enforced better. Hopefully I have cleared that up this time. :)

[quote name='luvavacation']Hmm, gtouch, not really sure how you are getting that I am saying it is ok to skip? :confused: But, this is a message board, and as with many messages on this board, things can be misunderstood!

What I did say was that I can see WHY people skip, since muster drills don't appear to be enforced on 3 of my 4 Carnival cruises. If you are inclined to feel that the muster drill is a waste of time, and there is no strong enforcement to make people attend, then I can see why those that feel it is a waste of time would not attend (just trying to see every side of the coin). I NEVER said that I skip. I DID say that I have children, and we were one of the few paying attention.

I do believe that muster drill attendance needs to be enforced better. Hopefully I have cleared that up this time. :)[/quote]

Sorry your correct after rereading your response you never said that you skipped. It's just that some of the responses that people who skip gave were extremely weak and self centered. Thanks for making me look again.
Have a great time on your next cruise.

Archived