4/26/09 Live from Carnival Splendor !!!

Wennfred

First off, thanks to Fred and Wendy and the others posting from the ship. We're scheduled for the May 23rd Splendor cruise, so needless to say, we're glued to the monitor right now.

At this point, I think we're going to sail anyway. Looks like the itinerary for the May 3rd cruise has changed to San Fran/Victoria/Seattle. Granted the weather change is a big bummer for being able to lay out on the deck all day, but we live in Scottsdale, so it's not like we ache for the sun.

We're pretty locked in for our vacation time, as the DW travels. A lot. It was basically take your vacation now or lose it, so we're going to, as so many have said, make ourselves some sugary sweet lemonade outta those lemons.

On the bright side, we can hope that MANY people cancel their cruises (they woulda been the whiners on board all week anyway!!), and we get a nice non-crowded ship, and a good possibility of a cheap (i.e. FREE) upgrade to a nicer cabin. (got an oceanview 6B at this point)

And where else can we get childcare all day at Camp Carnival for our 3 year old, and $6 an hour babysitting til 3 am!!!??

Now....it's off to the internet superhighway to start looking at those new itineraries and planning some stuff. On that note....we'd love to hear any suggestions for things to do (especially for a hip couple with a 3-yr-old) in Seattle and Victoria. We're good with San Fran - been there before - and can't wait to get back to the wharf.

Keep those updates coming!!!

I wish every cruise had a stop to get rid of the whiners! :D

ROFLMAO I wish "life" had a stop to get rid of the whiners!! Maybe Alcatraz?? Tour the facility housing the miserables!! Sorry just my sick sense of humor.:p

Yesterday was a relaxing day at sea. I'm going to call it our Host Game Arena day. We played various board/card games during the afternoon. We definitely got a bit silly: for example, we were playing Mexican Train Dominos -- and we ended up calling it: San Francisco Train Dominos. Aren't we hysterical. We did this because,

MEXICO IS CLOSED.(credit for this statement goes to "Host Graham")

That is our phrase for the week. I guess you'd kinda have to be here -- but we are having such a great time together -- we don't care where we are going!

We all regrouped for dinner last night in the Gold Pearl Dining room -- the ship was really moving. I love that. Anyway, as I've come to expect on this ship the food was OUTSTANDING. I started with the Fried Mozzarella, Yukon Gold Potato soup (they told me it was a new edition and it is not to be missed), and the Beef Stroganoff. I loved my meal, again (well, once I removed the funky hard boiled egg w/ yoke removed and replaced with folded pickles). For dessert I had the "Bitter and Blanc" (don't quote me). OMG. I'll say that again. OMG it was fabulous!

After dinner we stopped off at the Piano Bar, but it was way too smoky for us. Not being critical of smokers here -- but it was really too much for most of us. We ended up sitting outside and talking for awhile.

On my walk back to the room, I took a few detours to see how many pieces of luggage were outside of room doors. I didn't see many, but perhaps that 60% are self-disembarking in the am.

The Splendido Lido was open at 7am this morning, I supposed so the deserters can eat :) Anyway, I was sad I couldn't ask the BACONMEISTER why I cannot help myself -- he wasn't there (and neither was the bacon! - at least at 7:30.)

What are we doing today? Well, we figured we'd head topside and watch everyone debark. We're hoping they get off really fast so we can leave and get to San Fran earlier. We are all really looking forward to it.

I have tell you we are really having a GREAT TIME. The hosts and i are really are taking our own advice we've doled out over the years and are making the sweetest lemonade outta lemons we can.

Will check back in. Fred; I'll call you later.

Laura

Laura, Anne and all,

Good to see you're enjoying the Wildcard cruise. If you're really missing Mexico, while your in San Francisco I can take you to Chevy's and then to Home Depot where you can get pictures taken with authentic Mexicans. Later on, we'll go to the Fruitvale district in Oakland where Taquerias outnumber Chinese takeout 10-1 for that authentic South of the border feel.

With all of those passengers jumping ship, I was wondering how I can get aboard in San Francisco as a stowaway for a two-day to San Pedro. I've got my passport and a change of clothes ready.

It's funny how one of the biggest things and the one of the littlest things in the World can cause a cruise ship to change itineraries. A hurricane and a microorganism.

Has anyone mentioned what ship the lady in Denver was on? Wouldn't they have to notify all the passengers? And now the airport was infected.

Way to go Carnival for keeping the safety of all on board a priority. I would rather sit at sea than be infected by something.

I see on the webcams you guys are all still in Long Beach. I hope you're able to get on your way soon. :)

They just made a last call...engines are running....

The cabin next to us left.... So we are going to open the partition and give us an extended balcony!!!!! WoooHoooo

Fred and everyone coming to San Francisco....PLEASE.....DO NOT waste your money eating the garbage at a chain restaurant like Bubba Gumps....its OK for a drink but when some of the best restaurants in the world are at your fingertips I wouldn't bother with Gumps...bleah....

Right there at Fishermans wharf are several VERY NICE seafood restaurants like Scoma's, Alioto's and many others...ENJOY!

Agreed. Also note that you'll be a brisk walk or a short cab ride from the North Beach district that has an abundance of great Italian restaurants.

Denver's infected was a baggage handler in his 40's at the airport.

It was also a woman.

The victims are a woman in her 30s who went on a cruise to Mexico and spent several days in San Diego and a man in his 40s who is a baggage handler at Denver International Airport, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment said

It was also a woman.

The victims are a woman in her 30s who went on a cruise to Mexico and spent several days in San Diego and a man in his 40s who is a baggage handler at Denver International Airport, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment said

yeah, just saw that. The local Denver paper still hasn't released any info on what cruiseline she was on.

I counted a total of 524 people walking off this morning.

WOW Thats a lot. I dont get it if they arent offering any refund why not just stay on and lounge around by the pool and read a book. You already paid for it and you have the vacation time anyway.....

And to everyone else, as most know I have been down to Mexico many times and infact I don't even get off the ship anymore. This cruise was really for Wendy and her Mom Cathy, they had so many things to do and see while in mexico. So we are having a blast too. This just gives us another excuse to cruise down to Mexico once again. Hey, on a good note, I cashed in $1200.00 in excursions hehe

have a great day.

Fred

Now we know why you don't care;) :p

WOW Thats a lot. I dont get it if they arent offering any refund why not just stay on and lounge around by the pool and read a book. You already paid for it and you have the vacation time anyway.....

Ummm because the weather wont permit:D

Looks like Mexico really is closed

I can't help but think of National Lampoon's Vacation when I see this, lol.

"How would you feel if you just drove 2000 miles and found out Florida was closed?"..."They don't close Florida, Clark"....:p

On the bright side, we can hope that MANY people cancel their cruises (they woulda been the whiners on board all week anyway!!), and we get a nice non-crowded ship, and a good possibility of a cheap (i.e. FREE) upgrade to a nicer cabin. (got an oceanview 6B at this point)

Don't know if they will this early, but we are on the 5/3 (this Sunday) sailing. We got an 8G from a 4E free. And, I am hoping the whiners are the ones cancelling this week as well! As you say, hoping for a nice, non-crowded ship!

Archived