Need advice on getting to and from Nanaimo

Hubby & I are cruising round trip from Vancouver to Alaska this August. His family lives in Nanaimo and we live in Ontario, so obviously we need to go see them too! What I would love is advice from those who know BC.:)

Ideally, we'd like to see the family first and then leave from Vancouver on the cruise. So what I need to know is: what is the most economical and efficient way to get from Toronto to Nanaimo and then, a week later, get from Nanaimo to the Vancouver cruise terminal? :confused:

After the cruise, we'll fly home..... hopefully I can handle that one!:rolleyes:

Fastest way (and, depending on seat sales, possibly the most economical) is to book Air Canada from Toronto to Nanaimo. Then just book the return from Vancouver to Toronto. AC's been having some great sales lately but, so far, only for trips up to 30 June. I'm waiting for the ones that go to October because I'm planning to fly to Toronto to see family then, we're taking a cruise from Quebec City to Bosotn.

Anyway, that is hands down the most stress free way to do things.

I have lived in Nanaimo for the past 6 years and love Vancouver Island to bits but, the only time you really know you're on an Island is when you have to get off it! Pain in the behind. So, if you don't go the Air Canada route you've got a bunch of other choices, none fast and easy, except for the float plane from Vancouver Airport to Nanaimo Harbour. Check out harbour-air.com to see schedules and see if they'd fit in with your arrival time in Vancouver. Fare is about $70 + tax per person one-way. You have to add on another $15 or so for a taxi to the South Terminal. So, really, for the almost $200 you'll be spending on Harbour Air - you really should just book AC to Nanaimo.

Now, if you're looking to do it a bit cheaper (and not by much) and don't mind spending about 4 hours doing it, you can take Pacific Coach (if their limited schedule permits) from the Airport to Nanaimo on the Ferry. Or, you can take a taxi to the ferry (about $70 depending on the terminal you leave from) then spend $20 on the ferry ride. So, there you go, hours of traipsing about and $90 out of pocket. Not ever my first choice.

When we first moved here we had quite a few visitors come over from England. The first couple of times we let people know all the options and, generally they chose the Ferry route (charter airlines were cheaper into Vancouver than Air Canada into Nanaimo) and they thought it was worth saving those extra dollars. Those that returned for another visit were willing to spend whatever extra it took to fly direct into Nanaimo.

I'd run all this by your husband's family. They may have differing advice or opinions. I can only speak from our first hand experience of the past few years.

Have a great trip and enjoy Nanaimo! It's really a lovely town in a wonderous place.

Wow, thank you so much for such a detailed answer! Now if you could just answer the second part for me? How do you think we should get from Nanaimo to the Vancouver cruise terminal........ plane again? We have friends in Vancouver who we could maybe stay with the night before as well.

I am not a Nanaimo resident but living in Sechelt I look into their back yards. The Nice Fam gave you good advice but there is an alternative if you can handle your luggage (or even come close to it) and that is to take Transit to Horseshoe Bay, there are express buses at certain hours, but that aside it is a lovely ride thru Stanley Park, over the Lions Gate Bridge and some great views of the city and Georgia Strait from the Sea to Sky Highway. Once at the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal, check your luggage and walk on the ferry. Your family can meet you on the Nanaimo Side. The Transit fare from downtown is a whopping $3.75 and your walk-on ferry fare is $13.50.

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/hiwire

http://www.bcferries.com/

If your budget allows (and not sure about baggage) the float plane leaves from Downtown Nanaimo and arrives Downtown Vancouver just a couple of blocks from Canada Place). It;s a fast and beautiful way to do it, but is obviously more costly than the ferry. I have done both the floatplane and the Horseshoe Bay ferry to Nanaimo and found them both easy and beautiful.

Wow, thank you so much for such a detailed answer! Now if you could just answer the second part for me? How do you think we should get from Nanaimo to the Vancouver cruise terminal........ plane again? We have friends in Vancouver who we could maybe stay with the night before as well.

The same you got over there only in reverse. The harbour float plane would get you closest to the dock.

If considering the Float plane route.... as ceilidh1 mentions

Double check the Luggage question. If you are cruising and out here for a while you may be way over for stuff on a float plane.

Living on the mainland cause Vancouver Island really is a pain getting there/on/off :D

I am not a Nanaimo resident but living in Sechelt I look into their back yards. The Nice Fam gave you good advice but there is an alternative if you can handle your luggage (or even come close to it) and that is to take Transit to Horseshoe Bay, there are express buses at certain hours, but that aside it is a lovely ride thru Stanley Park, over the Lions Gate Bridge and some great views of the city and Georgia Strait from the Sea to Sky Highway. Once at the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal, check your luggage and walk on the ferry. Your family can meet you on the Nanaimo Side. The Transit fare from downtown is a whopping $3.75 and your walk-on ferry fare is $13.50.

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/hiwire

I don't believe that BC Transit goes to the Airport. So, you're facing a taxi ride to town, a wait for the bus, a possible wait for the ferry and all of that with luggage! As for the whopping savings, well, $20'ish per person for the bus and ferry (assuming 2 people) + about $20-25 for the taxi ride including the luggage and you're in the region of $60-80 in addition to the almost 5 hours you're probably facing in transit time.

If you've got the time and travel light then, yes, it's a nice way to go but, I'll repeat, the absolute easiest way is to take Air Canada into Nanaimo Airport.

IMHO - The time to take and enjoy the ferry ride from Departure Bay to Horseshoe Bay is most definitely on the day you're heading over to get to your cruise. You can get an early morning Ferry, enjoy the aforementioned views and the ride, THEN catch public transit (for only $3.75) and that will take you downtown, where you can catch your cruise without having to transfer to a taxi at all.

Again, check with your relatives here. They'll be your best source of local Island info and experience.

Air Canada or float plane - from experience (ours and everyone else who has visited us) - is the only way to go when you're arriving.

"I don't believe that BC Transit goes to the Airport:

You're right it doesn't because it doesn't operate in the Metro Vancouver area - our transit services are provided by Translink and yes they do serve the Airport - you take the bus right outside the terminal to Richmond Station and then transfer to the 98B rapid bus for the fast trip into Vancouver.

After Labour Day - the new Canada Line will be in service and there will be a train every 6 minutes from the Airport to downtown town - travel time is 35 minutes.

If you are going from downtown straight to the ferry the transfer from the bus will be good for the right out to Horseshoe Bay provide you are doing it within the 90 minutes time frame.

It is very common to see large suitcases and backpacks and camping gear on the Horseshoe Bay bus as it is a well used service - many students go to either BCIT, SFU, UBC and commute home on the weekend with their laundry etc.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

And I will just add that while I haven't done the trip in from YVR by transit, I have taken it to and from Horseshoe Bay to downtown, many a commuter from the Sunshine Coast does this on a daily basis, works like a charm.

........... you take the bus right outside the terminal to Richmond Station and then transfer to the 98B rapid bus for the fast trip into Vancouver.

So, just to clarify for myself and the OP -

a) You get off the plane, catch a bus to Richmond Station

b) At Richmond Station you catch the 98B to Downtown Vanouver.

c) Downtown Vancouver you catch the, I believe, 257 Express to Horseshoe Bay?

Come on guys. I know that Translink provides good service (at least on the 257 route which I've taken many times myself) but, these people are coming over from Ontario for a short holiday that includes a cruise and a trip to Nanaimo. Why encourage them to take BC Transit when we all know that they are facing quite a few hours - albeit potentially scenic ones - after a 5 hour flight and with 3-hours worth of jet lag to contend with? It just doesn't make any sense. I'm sure they'll make up their own minds about that but, really, going on about the bus is, I think, doing them a disservice. Unless they are students or backpackers (which they might well be, I used to be a backpacker turned cruiser) why would they want to or need to save $20 at a cost of loads more hassle?

I will repeat, they need to get the opinion and advice (and share it here where it will be helpful to others) of their relatives in Nanaimo who have most likely been there/done that, as have I, from Nanaimo to YVR, and back, many a time in the past 6 years - via float plane, public transit, stretch limo, my own car, Ferry and Air Canada direct (but not all on the same trip ;)). Trust me, it's not the same a happily communting daily from anywhere (hmmmm, happily commuting - there's an oxymoron if ever I typed one).

"happily commuting"

If someone else is flying the plane, steering the boat, driving the bus wouldn't you be happy.

Cheers

Dennis

Not if it takes more than 20 minutes....sorry. Worked in Montreal & Toronto for years and hear the traffic reports every morning for Vancouver. I'm now spoiled by Island life and could never go back to doing any lengthy communte again, no matter who's driving. I'd rather spend the time hitting the snooze button at home :). Now, living IN a city within walking distance of work, I'm up for that - city life's exciting! I'll just have to get my fix on my next cruise......although calling Sept-Iles, Charlottetown, Halifax and Portland cities is probably stretching it....

Hey everybody! OP here:). We are definitely not students or backpackers, so we'll plan on the flight from Toronto to Nanaimo for sure ;).

We'll have three large suitcases with us (we are going to be gone for 3 weeks and there's 4 formal nights onboard :eek:), so the floatplane's not a viable option. With that many suitcases I think we can still manage the ferry from Nanaimo to Vancouver, right? Then I guess a taxi from the ferry dock to the cruise ship?

Unless our Vancouver friends pick us up from the ferry, take us to their place for the night, and then drive us to the cruise dock the next day......... hmmmmm sounds like a plan, I do believe!! :cool: Then after the cruise we take a cab to the airport in Vancouver and fly home.

Please let me know if there's flaws with this plan. :o

Hey everybody! OP here:). We are definitely not students or backpackers, so we'll plan on the flight from Toronto to Nanaimo for sure ;).

Sounds like a plan to me! Now, we both need to keep a watch at aircanada.com to nab a deal on a flight if and when they have a seat sale that includes the months of August (for you) and October (for me). I'll let you know if I hear of anything...Current fare is $285 (for mid-August, one-way) which, historically, is really quite good. Not to throw a wrench in things but, if you wanted to avoid changing planes in Vancouver, you could always get a direct, non-stop from Toronto to Victoria for the same price. Of course, your Nanaimo relatives would then need to drive about an hour and a half to pick you up but, if they really love you, would they want you to have to change planes ??? ;) ...

Sounds like a plan to me! Now, we both need to keep a watch at aircanada.com to nab a deal on a flight if and when they have a seat sale that includes the months of August (for you) and October (for me). I'll let you know if I hear of anything...Current fare is $285 (for mid-August, one-way) which, historically, is really quite good. Not to throw a wrench in things but, if you wanted to avoid changing planes in Vancouver, you could always get a direct, non-stop from Toronto to Victoria for the same price. Of course, your Nanaimo relatives would then need to drive about an hour and a half to pick you up but, if they really love you, would they want you to have to change planes ??? ;) ...

I don't mind changing planes in Vancouver, 'cause they'll be driving us around while we're in Nanaimo :) so the Nanaimo flight sounds best. We'll actually be doing that flight in July and our cruise the first two weeks in August. So I'll keep an eye out for July (and August for coming home) and for October for you! Thanks again for all your help!:cool:

I don't mind changing planes in Vancouver, 'cause they'll be driving us around while we're in Nanaimo :) so the Nanaimo flight sounds best. We'll actually be doing that flight in July and our cruise the first two weeks in August. So I'll keep an eye out for July (and August for coming home) and for October for you! Thanks again for all your help!:cool:

Offer to take them to the Crow and Gate (they drive) a few minutes out of Naniamo in Cedar....it is an English Style pub and the food is incredible....no kids under 19 but soo worth it :)

I would drive from Victoria to eat here and that is a 1.5 hour drive.....did I mention their bread puddingg with whiskey sauce OR their Bailey's chocolate cheesecake???

If they have one piece of their steak and Kidney pie left at lunch?? Seriously I would argue for it ;D

YUM :)

Offer to take them to the Crow and Gate (they drive) a few minutes out of Naniamo in Cedar....it is an English Style pub and the food is incredible....no kids under 19 but soo worth it :)

I would drive from Victoria to eat here and that is a 1.5 hour drive.....did I mention their bread puddingg with whiskey sauce OR their Bailey's chocolate cheesecake???

If they have one piece of their steak and Kidney pie left at lunch?? Seriously I would argue for it ;D

YUM :)

Oooh, sounds delicious! An English style pub with good desserts as well! :cool:

Yes there steak and kidney pie is great as is there baron of beef sandwich and make sure you try some of there great beers.

I get to the Crow and Gate a couple of times a year on my way to Yellowpoint Lodge.

Cheers

Dennis

Book your trip as open jaw, YYZ-YCD (via YVR) and your return as merely YVR-YYZ.

Alternately (and I don't know where exactly in/around Nanaimo your family live), WS/Westjet fly into YQQ/Comox, about 70 minutes north of Nanaimo, so YYZ-YYC-YQQ on Westjet is also a good routing. You might be tempted to fly into Victoria, as AC have a non-stop from YYZ, but it's about 2 hours from YYJ/Victoria to Nanaimo proper, as you have to go south and then north again.

From Nanaimo to Vancouver, the float plane is pretty cheap $75, considering it's 20 minutes, and puts you next door to Canada Place, versus about 4 hours via ferry & transfers ($30 on PCL). Just check your luggage allowance, and/or buy another seat for it...

http://www.westcoastair.com/

Hey OP - AC Seat Sale today!!!! Trouble is, it's still just for flights to 30 June but, if you were thinking of coming early July anyway, why not fly out from Toronto to Nanaimo on 30th June? The fare is showing as $219 one way - $280 all included (taxes, surcharges etc.). A bargain for sure. That's if you want to get to Nanaimo on 30 June.

As for Westjet into Comox - you're almost as bad off doing that as you would be flying into Victoria. Comox/70-80 minutes from Nanaimo, Victoria/90-120 minutes from Nanaimo. The other thing is, Westjet and Air Canada match each other's seat sale fares all the time so, there would be no cost saving at all.

If you go to aircanada.com you can just plunk in, one-way, YYZ (Toronto) to YCD (Nanaimo) and keep checking fares. Alternatively, if you want to book the whole thing in one go, click on the multi-trip button on the fare search page and enter your YYZ-YCD date on one line and YVR-YYZ return date on another and you'll get the combined fare.

I still think the $285 regular fare is cheap compared to what I've paid before but, I'm holding out for that elusive $219 through to October seat sale ;).....

Hey OP - AC Seat Sale today!!!! Trouble is, it's still just for flights to 30 June but, if you were thinking of coming early July anyway, why not fly out from Toronto to Nanaimo on 30th June? The fare is showing as $219 one way - $280 all included (taxes, surcharges etc.). A bargain for sure. That's if you want to get to Nanaimo on 30 June

I still think the $285 regular fare is cheap compared to what I've paid before but, I'm holding out for that elusive $219 through to October seat sale ;).....

Thanks for the heads up, but our cruise isn't until July 31, so we're not looking to come out until later in July. But thanks so much for thinking of me!:D I'll keep checking and hoping for sales, and for you for October too! :)

Archived