Looking to get a feel for what Tortola has to offer...

MamaParrotHead

Ahhhhhhhhh, but therein lies the dilemma. I don't want to just jump on a ship and not know what the ports have to offer. The times I've heard of people doing that, they wander aimless around the tacky tourist trap shops and aren't aware of what the great ports have to offer. Have to do my homework now so I know what my options are. ;)

The BVI's tagline might help, "Nature's Little Secrets". Tortola and the surrounding islands of the BVI should be enjoyed for what they offer in natural beauty. It is not the place for jet skis, parasailing banana boat rides etc. If you're looking for a shopping Mecca, this is not it.

You can find island tours, beautiful beaches, hiking at Sage Mountain National Park, snorkeling and fantastic views, good local food, or try a day sail on one of the charter boats. With all of this you may find yourself wanting to return for a much longer visit.

Ahhhhhhhhh, but therein lies the dilemma. I don't want to just jump on a ship and not know what the ports have to offer. The times I've heard of people doing that, they wander aimless around the tacky tourist trap shops and aren't aware of what the great ports have to offer. Have to do my homework now so I know what my options are. ;)

The wife and I were at both Tortola and Antigua on the NCL Jewel 4-6-09 and 4-7-09. We took the ferry to the Baths at Virgin Gorda and went to Darkwood beach at Antigua. To me the Baths were really something special and if I had to choose I would go back to BVI over Antigua.

I think you would enjoy an island tour. Renting a car is also a good option . the island is diverse, lots to see, nice beaches to stop at including cane garden bay and brewers bay, things like sage mountain, east end , west end of island has sopers hole, Driving is not to hectic although roads are somewhat narrow but are not all that busy.

I think you would enjoy an island tour. Renting a car is also a good option . the island is diverse, lots to see, nice beaches to stop at including cane garden bay and brewers bay, things like sage mountain, east end , west end of island has sopers hole, Driving is not to hectic although roads are somewhat narrow but are not all that busy.

Sorry - have to advise against this for a first-timer. Do no rent a car. First of all, it is the British Virgin Islands...and yes...that means they drive on the OTHER side of the road. The roads from Road Town (which is where you will get off of the ship if you go) are extremely steep, narrow, and curvy to get to ANY of the good beaches. Pay for a taxi, your life is worth it. Sometimes your only indication that someone is coming around the other way is a single "honk". Also, at any given time, you can come around a sharp turn and there will be cows in the middle of the road - if you have never driven there, don't rent a car.

Get off the ship with your bathing suit on under a coverup, a towel in hand, snorkel gear, and plenty of sunscreen. Grab a taxi and head to Brewer's Bay. Beautiful beach, pretty good snorkeling on the far right side and not anywhere near as crowded as Cane Garden Bay will be. Please DO visit the beach bar and give the locals some business - they really appreciate it. Please leave only footprints behind when you leave :D so the BVI can stay beautiful.

That said, the Baths are a good way to go as well - but they can be extremely crowded with ships in town.

The BVI is one of my very favorite places on earth - we bareboat there every year - please go and enjoy it!!

Winterstale,

I would have to politely disagree with your opinion on renting a car. Yes, you drive on the left but I don't think it's nearly as dangerous as you describe. I've rented a car since the first time I visited ten years ago and have never had a problem. I also know plenty of others who have rented vehicles there on their first visit and loved the driving.

As for the rest of your post, I'm with you on it. Buy from the locals and support them, enjoy the beauty, leave only footprints. Our favorite place as well! ;)

I just returned from a cruise that went to Tortola and I found it to be one of the most beautiful Caribbean islands I've seen.

For us, Tortola was a short stop (7-1), so we took the Coast to Coast Island Tour. This tour went completely around the island, stopped for some photo shoots, visited a couple of beautiful beaches, and even went to the airport on Beef Island.

If you go and have a short stop there, I recommend this tour.

Sorry - have to advise against this for a first-timer. Do no rent a car. First of all, it is the British Virgin Islands...and yes...that means they drive on the OTHER side of the road. The roads from Road Town (which is where you will get off of the ship if you go) are extremely steep, narrow, and curvy to get to ANY of the good beaches. Pay for a taxi, your life is worth it. Sometimes your only indication that someone is coming around the other way is a single "honk". Also, at any given time, you can come around a sharp turn and there will be cows in the middle of the road - if you have never driven there, don't rent a car.

Get off the ship with your bathing suit on under a coverup, a towel in hand, snorkel gear, and plenty of sunscreen. Grab a taxi and head to Brewer's Bay. Beautiful beach, pretty good snorkeling on the far right side and not anywhere near as crowded as Cane Garden Bay will be. Please DO visit the beach bar and give the locals some business - they really appreciate it. Please leave only footprints behind when you leave :D so the BVI can stay beautiful.

That said, the Baths are a good way to go as well - but they can be extremely crowded with ships in town.

The BVI is one of my very favorite places on earth - we bareboat there every year - please go and enjoy it!!

Our ship tour to the Baths just got cancelled and I don't think I want to try and get there on my own. This sounds like a wonderful plan. I haven't heard of Brewer's Bay. Can you tell me how far from ship, cost of taxi, are there chairs/umbrellas or shade, bathrooms? All the good stuff!

I just returned from a cruise that went to Tortola and I found it to be one of the most beautiful Caribbean islands I've seen.

For us, Tortola was a short stop (7-1), so we took the Coast to Coast Island Tour. This tour went completely around the island, stopped for some photo shoots, visited a couple of beautiful beaches, and even went to the airport on Beef Island.

If you go and have a short stop there, I recommend this tour.

Is this a private tour company? Do you have more info, website?

Our ship tour to the Baths just got cancelled and I don't think I want to try and get there on my own. This sounds like a wonderful plan. I haven't heard of Brewer's Bay. Can you tell me how far from ship, cost of taxi, are there chairs/umbrellas or shade, bathrooms? All the good stuff!

Brewer's bay is a short cab ride from Road Town, probably about 20-25 minutes at the most. I don't use taxis but I hear the cost is about $6 per person.

There is a small bar/Restaurant called Nichol's that serves cold drinks and food. They also rent chairs and snorkel equipment and have restrooms for patrons. No other facilities on the beach. There is plenty of sahde under the trees along the beach.

There used to be public restrooms across the road from the beach but they were very nasty. I don't know if they are still there or better kept.

Brewer's bay is a short cab ride from Road Town, probably about 20-25 minutes at the most. I don't use taxis but I hear the cost is about $6 per person.

There is a small bar/Restaurant called Nichol's that serves cold drinks and food. They also rent chairs and snorkel equipment and have restrooms for patrons. No other facilities on the beach. There is plenty of sahde under the trees along the beach.

There used to be public restrooms across the road from the beach but they were very nasty. I don't know if they are still there or better kept.

We just may check this out. If DH is tired of beach then the coast to coast tour would be a nice drive.

Is this a private tour company? Do you have more info, website?

"Coast to Coast" was the name of the excursion offered by Celebrity. I'm assuming Princess offers the same excursion, or at least something very similar.

Archived