Launderettes on HAL Vista Class ships

floridakeith

I have seen and heard a number of comments from Holland America fans bemoaning the fact that the new Vista Class ships such as Zuiderdam do not have the customary launderette for guests to use.

I have just received a P&O brochure showing the deck plan for the Arcadia, a Vista Class ship that joins the P&O fleet in 2005. It shows launderettes on decks C, D & E.

So it just shows that it was a choice that HAL must have made to not have launderettes rather than a feature that could not be readily accommodated.

I believed that from the beginning that it was a HAL choice. I have, and many others, expressed our dislike over that. I have been told by HAL that the new ships to come out after the last Vista Style ship, I would be pleased with the design. I am one who likes to have the self-service laundry, so I am assuming they will be re-introduced on the new ships coming out. Time will tell, stay tuned.....

The main reason we use the launderettes is to make sure that wash-and-wear and delicate items don't get mangled by heavy-handed mass laundering. I guess if they don't have launderettes, that we'll need to launder these in our cabin and the steward will need to work around the clothes hanging up to dry.

HAL was the one to make the choice not to have self-serve laundries on board. Originally these Vista class ships were only going to do 7 day cruises - on - off - no need to do laundry. Then as each ship came out, they started with long European itineraries - thus causing people to scream because they had to send out their laundry. And these ships weren't prepared to do all that extra laundry - more screaming when laundry took several days to get done and some people never did get their laundry done.

You would have thought HAL would have listened after the Zuiderdam and Oosterdam screams and added the laundries - but they didn't.

Thank heaven they will give up the Vista class ships after the Noordam.

I was on one of the long Euopean cruise with three children this summer. I will say that even though I prefer ships with a laundry, it did work out fine for us. Cost was reasonable. I did have to do some hand laundry with delicate items.

Laundry by the bag was inexpensive and everything came back pressed nicely.

Archived