Ports are being canceled now

Vanessa L

Well, the port cancellations have begun. Apparently, the Inspiration and Holiday are skipping Cozumel today and the Elation is skipping Ensenada. I'll be interested to see how many :mad::mad::mad: posts we get when they return because Carnival had the "audacity" to be cautious and keep them safe :eek:

It DEFINITELY will be interesting to see how many do complain! I can understand being "disappointed", but NOT mad! You just get an extra day at sea - no big deal to me! Better than taking a chance of getting sick. Sometimes, the media can "blow" things out of proportion and I believe this is one of those times. The people in Mexico City who got this flu died because they don't have decent medical care, it is also very dirty/unsanitary there too! A bit different than here in the states! Oh well, we can just sit back and wait for the complaints to come rolling in!

Sue

I was in COzumel on Thursday, hadnt even heard of the swine flu. Came home Staurday and SUnday morning my 2 year old was running 104 fever so we took her to er and thats where we found out about it, but she was cleared of it, very nervewracking, especially since I have been feeling crappy (even so before our trip) very cautious though, good for Carnival!!!

We just got back from a cruise since this flu started too, except no one knew that swine flu existed lol.

Im upping the bet, to 10 oldies and 5 newbies, that the entire front page is going to be only threads about the flu. Everyone seems to have this NEED to start a new thread, cant post on the main sticky thread. ... come on guys, you can do it.

I was on a flight once that suffered some electrical problems and a cabin decompression. The plane dived*, the oxygen masks came down, lights and AC went on and off - the whole 9 yards. We were close enough to a scheduled stop that we made our scheduled airport. Obviously they made everyone get off the plane and wouldn't let any of the new pax board. We had about an 8 hour wait before the airline could scramble us a new plane and new crew.

For quite a bit of that time, the affected plane was still parked at the gate. You should have heard the screaming and cursing from the people who were supposed to board then. One woman in particular was pitching a holy fit demanding to board at once. Finally I went up to her and showed her the impressions on my face from the oxygen mask (like when you wake up with sheet marks).

"That plane nearly crashed and these marks are from the oxygen mask. If you want to get on that plane, be my guest. I'll wait for one that actually flies."

*most likely, a controlled dive to get us back down to breathable air. So long as the pilots stayed conscious, we probably weren't at risk for crashing though we had no way of knowing that at the time.

My point exactly. How does one live this way? Sigh.

I guess I would be one of those people that would be a little upset if the ports were cancel...because we have save for so long for this vacation. And we really want to see each city where we dock, because I don't know when we would be able to return again.

But I also understand for safety reason and passengers comes first.

Everyone seems to have this NEED to start a new thread, cant post on the main sticky thread. ... come on guys, you can do it.

You gotta get over it already. This is a BIG topic and it doesn't just relate to cruising, but all travel at this point.

There are going to be numerous threads in every forum until this whole 'scare' calms down.

Well I feel bad for the crew on these ships, they are going to get the brunt of the whining, then next will be to call Carnival to complain about denying them the right to choose to go to a Port (where Mexico and US are saying to not travel there). Their vacation was ruined! They want their money refunded, OBCs! Then we will get the posters who will hate Carnival and never cruise on them again, blah blah blah. The other cruise lines will follow suit.

Why can't people just accept that while on a cruise ship, the lines need to make the decision that is best for all.

Just give me a DOD and a chair on the LIDO deck, gear the boat to the sun and I really don't care. It is better than being at work!

Just give me a DOD and a chair on the LIDO deck, gear the boat to the sun and I really don't care. It is better than being at work!

C'mon now...being reasonable isn't near as much fun.

Besides, one thing about common sense is it isn't very common.

My 2 cents worth,

Brad

I just got back from the 3-day Ensenada cruise yesterday...didn't hear anything about swine flu until afterwards. I think we'll be okay, we didn't go into the city or eat while we were there, just went straight to the beach for the kayak excursion. But I'm keeping my health in check, nonetheless. ;)

Well I feel bad for the crew on these ships, they are going to get the brunt of the whining, then next will be to call Carnival to complain about denying them the right to choose to go to a Port (where Mexico and US are saying to not travel there). Their vacation was ruined! They want their money refunded, OBCs! Then we will get the posters who will hate Carnival and never cruise on them again, blah blah blah. The other cruise lines will follow suit.

Why can't people just accept that while on a cruise ship, the lines need to make the decision that is best for all.

Yes. I agree...DOD...beers...martinis...whatever!

I booked last weekend, cruise to Cozumel, people I work with asked me if I was cancelling...nope! Then they asked why I would book to Mexico, hello---the swine flu wasn't out when I booked, but I would've booked anyway. Was the cruise that best fit our needs. It isn't until November so I am hoping we will be good to go.

I just got back from the 3-day Ensenada cruise yesterday...didn't hear anything about swine flu until afterwards. I think we'll be okay, we didn't go into the city or eat while we were there, just went straight to the beach for the kayak excursion. But I'm keeping my health in check, nonetheless. ;)

Well, the "beauty" (if you will) of living in the US is that, at the first sign of symptoms, you show up at your doctor, he gives you Tamiflu and in a few days, you are all better. You'll be fine, even if you come down with this.

It's amazing to me all the fuss that's being caused about this flu bug. It's a slow week for the media and so they are sensationalizing this to the Nth degree. On top of that - everyone jumps on the fear bandwagon and makes it even worse.

Fact - @ 36,000 people died in the United States last year from the flu. Guess what, the media doesn't report that very much. It's just not that glamorous. How many people have died (in the U.S.) from this particular strain so far.

Fact - politicians want us to be afraid of something. That way, they can rescue us and we will be indebted to them.

Fact - the virus doesn't survive very long in the open air. Your best chance of contracting it is if someone who has it, coughs on you or touches you soon after having mucus from their bodies on their hands. Even then, you must transfer the virus to your own mucus membranes within a relatively short period of time or the virus will die.

The reality is that most people contract viral and bacterial infections because they don't wash their hands often enough. That even includes me.

Solution - stop believing "the sky is falling" media and politicians and learn how to wash your hands.

It really boggles the mind when someone comes back and posts that they are angry about missing a port due to weather, or now, the flu (I'm banking on future 1 hit wonders after this). I just really (though I have been able to hold my tongue thus far) want to ask those folks if they REALLY would have rather sailed into a hurricane or tropical storm. It truly leaves me shaking my head.

And there are the same people that would complain had the cruise lines continued to go to these port and people got sick. Damn if you do, Damn if you don't. People will always find a reason to put the blame on someone else. People need to just suck it up and deal with it.

It's amazing to me all the fuss that's being caused about this flu bug. It's a slow week for the media and so they are sensationalizing this to the Nth degree. On top of that - everyone jumps on the fear bandwagon and makes it even worse.

Fact - @ 36,000 people died in the United States last year from the flu. Guess what, the media doesn't report that very much. It's just not that glamorous. How many people have died (in the U.S.) from this particular strain so far.

Fact - politicians want us to be afraid of something. That way, they can rescue us and we will be indebted to them.

Fact - the virus doesn't survive very long in the open air. Your best chance of contracting it is if someone who has it, coughs on you or touches you soon after having mucus from their bodies on their hands. Even then, you must transfer the virus to your own mucus membranes within a relatively short period of time or the virus will die.

The reality is that most people contract viral and bacterial infections because they don't wash their hands often enough. That even includes me.

Solution - stop believing "the sky is falling" media and politicians and learn how to wash your hands.

Exactly!!!!

I posted a link on another thread about basically this same thing. That, the media is having a field day with this one. The author pointed out that the FEAR of the virus is worse than the virus itself. In the US we can take medicine and get better if we get the flu. But man, does it cause GREAT ratings in the news!!!!

I agree with the above. the flu is not new, this particular type of flu is not new.. you can see on the internet that it pops up every once in awhile... not as bad as in mexico city, but the cases in the US are NOT that bad.

my whole point is that I have a greater chance getting it in sacramento which is near where I lived (one confirmed case and since the boy went to school sick now they are testing several other children that are sick) then in ensenda where there have been no confirmed cases (yet at least)

And skip the buffet...;)

Archived