Ports are being canceled now

Vanessa L

Or maybe they are not buying into the panic;)

Oh, I agree. But, after reading this board for some time...you also know that if ONE person comes down with this flu after a cruise stop in Mexico they are calling 1-800-SUE-SOMEONE. Perhaps Carnival is simply stopping that particular type of passenger before they can even get started. Because while all those suits would likely end up on the cutting room floor, it still costs money to get them dismissed.

well, the port cancellations have begun. Apparently, the inspiration and holiday are skipping cozumel today and the elation is skipping ensenada. I'll be interested to see how many :mad::mad::mad: Posts we get when they return because carnival had the "audacity" to be cautious and keep them safe :eek:

and???????

Ok be honest. How many people are checking their MX cruise rates more than usual to see if the prices take a big drop? Come on, I know I'm not the only one :D

lol Hey Im going to wait until 5 pm to check!!! lol, give them a little while to start the cancellations. Maybe only check 10 times tomorrow, every hour on the hour? Just kidding, I have to go somewhere, but Im checking.

Ok be honest. How many people are checking their MX cruise rates more than usual to see if the prices take a big drop? Come on, I know I'm not the only one :D

I'll certainly be watching them. Still a little early however. Maybe in a week or two, or three.

Oh, I agree. But, after reading this board for some time...you also know that if ONE person comes down with this flu after a cruise stop in Mexico they are calling 1-800-SUE-SOMEONE. Perhaps Carnival is simply stopping that particular type of passenger before they can even get started. Because while all those suits would likely end up on the cutting room floor, it still costs money to get them dismissed.

I doubt it.........

While I am not one to ever believe that the sky is falling I can understand that Carnival must err on the side of caution in this situation.

Sadly, once the travel advisory came out they didn't have much choice. I still think it's a massive overreaction to a minor problem.

could you really blame someone for being upset? Its not carnivals FAULT, but a lot of things in life happen naturally and we still get upset.

I know I'm bummed out. Not at carnival but I still am bummed out. My man and I are going on our first cruise together and one of our two ports is gonna be gone. will I boycott carnival or try to get my $$$ back? no, like I said its their fault, but that doesnt mean I am not bummed out

Just to add fuel to the fire, cuz it's fun.

If you think about it....If Carnival cancels a port and replaces it with a day at sea....that's more money in their pocket...than say the 25 bucks or whatever credit they'll dish out. Just think of all the DoD's everyone will be buying.

could you really blame someone for being upset? Its not carnivals FAULT, but a lot of things in life happen naturally and we still get upset.

I know I'm bummed out. Not at carnival but I still am bummed out. My man and I are going on our first cruise together and one of our two ports is gonna be gone. will I boycott carnival or try to get my $$$ back? no, like I said its their fault, but that doesnt mean I am not bummed out

Pinkprincess78, you are not the kind of person I was speaking about. If you hang around the boards long enough you will see people who come back from a cruise that had to miss a port due to a hurricane or tropical storm and come here and post (typically their first post, since they can research the bejesus out of it when they are angry, but researching and finding out that this could happen before they cruised would be right out) blaming the heck out of the cruiselines and demanding some kind of "compensation". Coming here and saying that you were disappointed because a port was canceled is WAY different than the person I referred to in my original post. I know that the captains of cruiseships are good, but none of them are God and cannot control the weather. The way some people react though, you'd think that is exactly what they expected.

Pinkprincess78, you are not the kind of person I was speaking about. If you hang around the boards long enough you will see people who come back from a cruise that had to miss a port due to a hurricane or tropical storm and come here and post (typically their first post, since they can research the bejesus out of it when they are angry, but researching and finding out that this could happen before they cruised would be right out) blaming the heck out of the cruiselines and demanding some kind of "compensation". Coming here and saying that you were disappointed because a port was canceled is WAY different than the person I referred to in my original post. I know that they captains of cruiseships are good, but none of them are God and cannot control the weather. They way some people react though, you'd think that is exactly what they expected.

ahhh ok sorry for the misunderstanding.. I'm new here and frankly any vacation is better than none so no major complaining here. LOL

Poor Mexico, there are already people who won't go there because of the drug violence. They sure didn't need this :(

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Not to mention that so far the people of Mexico have had the fatalities while tourists who picked up the same illness in Mexico are recovering. Between the drug wars and now swine flu, the Mexican tourism industry is taking quite a hit.

Just to add fuel to the fire, cuz it's fun.

If you think about it....If Carnival cancels a port and replaces it with a day at sea....that's more money in their pocket...than say the 25 bucks or whatever credit they'll dish out. Just think of all the DoD's everyone will be buying.

The $$ lost on refunded excursions and the huge cost of more fuel staying out would not make it profitable for carnival.

Leaving on the Holiday next Monday, looks like it will become an East Carib cruise. Thats OK by me.:)

What port in the Eastern Caribbean are you thinking they will go to?? If its only a 4 day, not sure it can make it to past Key West. Maybe on a 5 day?

The announcement at 5 pm will be interesting.

I am not angry but, I am disappointed!

This is what many of the doctors are saying - if you watch the stories on the National News channels that doctors are saying there is no need to panic - Just be alert and cautious – take normal precautions that we all should be anyway – wash your hands several times through out the day and be aware of what you are touching – keep you hands away from you eyes, nose and mouth.

We are sailing on the Splendor May 10th and will be very disappointed if we are not allowed off the ship! There have been no reported cases in any of the cities we will be visiting, there are always health threats (norovirus, other stains of flu) that people need to be aware of and take steps to avoid but, I don’t see how sitting on a ship with 3300 people (1 or 2 who may already be infected) is any better than taking a trip to the beach!

This is totally different than "sailing into a hurricane or a tropical storm" That is just a silly comparison! I would not be disappointed to miss a port due to weather but the flu? How may people get the flu each year and now we have 40 cases – oh my it is time to panic!!

Leaving on the Holiday next Monday, looks like it will become an East Carib cruise. Thats OK by me.:)

You mean a Bahamas cruise. ;)

You might lucky and go to Key West and Nassau. You are much too far from the eastern Caribbean to reach it and return in five days.

someone posted an article earlier that showed if you port out of TX, NO or MObile on a 5 day or less cruise if the MX ports are closed it will be a cruise to no where. There are no other ports they will go to and you can't stop at say Key west because you have to have an international port to stop at, not just a US port.

Should we start a poll? Which would you rather be exposed to - Swine Flu or Norovirus?

After a heck of a nasty bout of Norovirus on our Senior Trip (to mexico but anyway it was 1998) I would write in vote chicken pox.... 18 sick kids, ferry boat to Isla Mujeries after a flight from Mexico City to Cancun was a trip from Haydees! I think the plane had 2 bathrooms and I know most of us lost whatever was left in our stomachs on the ferry. We ended up taking 3 to the clinic to get them re hydrated.

On the plus side you might be able to make a mint if you have pepto bismuth or imodium to sell!

someone posted an article earlier that showed if you port out of TX, NO or MObile on a 5 day or less cruise if the MX ports are closed it will be a cruise to no where. There are no other ports they will go to and you can't stop at say Key west because you have to have an international port to stop at, not just a US port.

What about the Bahamas? Though a 5 day cruise to nowhere would be 150% ok by me. I've been waiting for someone to add just this to their itineraries but have been out of luck so far.

Archived