Best Advice for a Newbie

Hello,

I was just told about these boards and they are awesome.:) I am not too sure how to navigate and find information that I am looking for just yet. I will keep on trying. In the meantime, I am going on my very first cruise with my husband, daughter, parents, and siblings on Liberty of the Seas in June. What are some of the most important, useful tips and advice you would give to someone that has never cruised before? By the way we are going to East Caribbean, Haiti, Puerto Rico, and St. Maarten. Since I know nothing, all advice will be most welcome. Thanks!!~~~~~~~~~Sunni

I think if you realize that a cruise is just a vacation. There's no "right or wrong" way to cruise!

Try not to schedule too much, or you'll need a vacation from the vacation! You don't have to do excursions at every stop! (Labadee is a perfect example---a relaxing beach day!)

Don't try to "herd" your whole party into syncronized activities. Let every family do their own thing and meet for dinner to compare everyone's day!

Enjoy! There's nothing like your 1st cruise!!!

Hello,

I was just told about these boards and they are awesome.:) I am not too sure how to navigate and find information that I am looking for just yet. I will keep on trying. In the meantime, I am going on my very first cruise with my husband, daughter, parents, and siblings on Liberty of the Seas in June. What are some of the most important, useful tips and advice you would give to someone that has never cruised before? By the way we are going to East Caribbean, Haiti, Puerto Rico, and St. Maarten. Since I know nothing, all advice will be most welcome. Thanks!!~~~~~~~~~Sunni

Welcome... and enjoy the boards and your first cruise!

If you haven't discovered this yet... check out the reviews... also click on the "199 member reviews".... lots and lots of information and points of view. Remember... as said earlier... go with an open mind and enjoy! We think cruising is the most awesome way to meet people, experience new things, see new places and to really enjoy life!

To get to the Liberty reviews, click here.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=389

I think if you realize that a cruise is just a vacation. There's no "right or wrong" way to cruise!

Try not to schedule too much, or you'll need a vacation from the vacation!

Excellent advice that worked well for us, There was so much more to do on our 2nd cruise. It took the 4th cruise before we tried the rock wall and inline skating.

My advice, don't overpack, that makes getting there and home again easier. IF you where the same socks a couple of days, nobody will know or care. 3 pair of shorts is enough for 7 days, you don't need 7.

Our first cruise was on the LOS this month for springbreak. I agree with the last poster...don't overpack. 3 pairs of shorts are plenty. You will find you will get up in the morning and put on your swimsuit with a casual dress coverup. I never wore shorts until we got off at San Juan and Haiti. The first morning I did for breakfast, then immediately went back to the room to change into my swimsuit. I never did that again.

Buy the $8 over-the-door shoeholder for your toiletries. It was wonderful and I'm taking it with me on land trips now, also.

We're early risers, early to bed...and I wish that I had tried to push things back a couple of hours....or perhaps gone to try to take a nap during the afternoons. There are lots of things going on after 10:30 and I was exhausted by then.

Don't miss the ice show, it's fabulous.

Read up on the ports, as it will make it easier to decide where you want to go. I wish we had gone to the french side of St. Marteen. I wasn't impressed with the dutch side at all, and wasn't interested in jewerly shopping 90% or more of all the stores were jewelry it seemed. Plus, I didn't think it was that attractive.

Go to the Olive and Twist for a cocktail before or after dinner. The view is spectacular and kids can go before 10:00 p.m. They can get a smoothie.

I'm in the minority, but I actually felt ancy during sea days. We don't like to just lay around the pool all day, but we wanted to be outside not inside, especially since we live in the north and have been inside for months. Make sure you bring a book if you are like that, too. I wish I had been prepared for that feeling.

For kids...this is a biggie. Right outside the arcade room is a slot like an ATM machine. The kids can put their seapass in it and press $10, $20, $30 to put on the seapass to go use for the arcades. My youngest thought the ship was providing the money, he said something the first night like "the ship gives you money to play the arcades" and we thought he meant since it was the first night and he went to the "meet and mingle" for 12 year olds that they might have given them free tokens that evening. We never thought to check our tab daily on the TV screen int he room. He had racked up $240 of arcade games. So....make sure you tell your kids that is it NOT free and check your TV screen daily to see what you have charged.

Take ginger pills...they really work! The first couple of day the ship is going fairly fast and we could feel the movement. We never got sick, but a little nauseous and the ginger pills stopped it within 15 minutes. After the ship slowed down after Puerto Rico it never bothered me again.

SunniDayz26,

Welcome to the world of cruising! As trixietx said " prepare to be hooked!" Cruising can be the best vacation ever if you just take it easy...

I read a "Ten Things to Expect on your Cruise" news item a few years back... I wish I still had it but generally it had this great advise:

Number ONE! - You are on vacation...enjoy yourself and don't let anyone spoil it!;

Expect lines - especially getting on and off the ship. Knowing this please don't get frustrated;

Learn to embrace the International crew and cruisers you will encounter - the international PA announcements are cool;

You will encounter rude people just like everywhere else - see Number ONE;

Your cabin will be small, like a college dorm or smaller - remember you only sleep there;

Expect extra charges, for alcohol, soda, pictures, internet access - but these are your choice as to whether to buy;

If you get hungry it is ENTIRELY your fault - there is food everywhere, expect to eat 8 (or more) meals a day;

Lastly (I know that's not 10 but hey... I tried) pray for good weather but don't let bad weather get you down - there is plenty to do on a cruise ship.

I hope these few items help to get you into the right frame of mind.

Remember, expect to have one of the great times of your life! As RCCL says, “This is where the impossible becomes possible and the unimaginable becomes real”. You can do it all or nothing at all. Your choice, and that’s what makes cruising a great vacation. When the cruise is over, you’ll be amazed how fast the week went, and you’ll kick yourself for not doing every possible activity offered. Don't fret – that’s pretty much impossible. This is exactly why you’ll spend the first several days after your return to the real world figuring out how and when you can cruise again. And I’m sure you will.

Have a ball and write us all back here with your experiences! We love talking "Cruise".

------------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

Previous Cruises

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2001

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003