Great Beaches in Key West...do they exist?

mjpohl

Looks like I might be diverted to Key West on my Fantasy sailing and was wondering if there is a great beach to relax at on Key West (like Cozumel has)...I am having a hard time finding one?

Looks like I might be diverted to Key West on my Fantasy sailing and was wondering if there is a great beach to relax at on Key West (like Cozumel has)...I am having a hard time finding one?

No, but there is Fort Zachery taylor. People like the beach there and you can swim off the shore but the knock is that the bottom is rocky and you need ocean shoes. But there's also a chair rental and a snack bar which serves beer.

http://www.fortzacharytaylor.com/

About four blocks south on Whitehead from the docks.

Pjk

• 5 months later...

I know most people suggest the beach at the Fort but due to walking limitations I do not think this would be a good option for me. I was thinking of doing the hop on hop off trolley and going to Smather's beach from the stop at the Best Western Key Ambassador. Does this sound doable. How long a walk would it be from this stop to Smathers? Also, are umbrellas available for rent at Smathers?

Yeah, so as the OP said, is there ANY beach worth while in Key West? My ship, Ryndam, will only be there for 5 hours. I'm not going to put down money for some half-a**ed excursion. We were going to either stroll about the town or find a nice beach to plop our butts down and chill.

Furthermore, less of a crowd is preferable. :)

Because it is my understanding that it is a long walk to the beach even from where I would be dropped off and I cannot walk very far.

You received some misiniformation then. I agree with HeavySurf the taxi will be cheaper and more convenient than the trolley.

Mike:)

I know most people suggest the beach at the Fort but due to walking limitations I do not think this would be a good option for me. I was thinking of doing the hop on hop off trolley and going to Smather's beach from the stop at the Best Western Key Ambassador. Does this sound doable. How long a walk would it be from this stop to Smathers? Also, are umbrellas available for rent at Smathers?

Stop #9 is right on Higgs Beach. You almost step off the trolley and onto the beach. There is a man there who runs Tropical Watersports who will rent you a chair and has umbrellas, too.

This is his set-up...

609751710_t8AGp-M.jpg

Pjk

Thanks PK. This sounds fine except that I had read that this beach is populated by teens and vagrants. Is that more misinformation. I hope so because otherwise this sounds like the best option for me.

It used to be up until this year but the city of Key West has decided that it would be better as a nice public beach. They've "chased" away the vagrants by allowing the police to ask anyone to leave for pretty much any reason, and have put up a volleyball court, and allowed Tropical Watersports to set up and rent things to attract people. There is actually some good snorkeling off the beach there. And you have the White Street pier for views and the West Martello Tower and Botanical garden. IMO it's going to catch on among the beach-goers in Key West.

Pjk

Are there plenty of cabs available for a return to the ship? I'm thinking I can probably walk there in the morning but a cab back would be a good idea..any idea how much a cab should cost? And is it really only 4 blocks from where Royal Caribbean docks?

Are there plenty of cabs available for a return to the ship? I'm thinking I can probably walk there in the morning but a cab back would be a good idea..any idea how much a cab should cost? And is it really only 4 blocks from where Royal Caribbean docks?

To get there you can walk all the way south on Whitehead then make a left on South Street and a right on Reynolds and you are there. There are cabs going by Higgs on their way to and from the airport and the hotels but it would be best to have the number of a taxi with you; e.g., Key West Taxi (305) 293-6860

Pjk

Thanks PK. This sounds fine except that I had read that this beach is populated by teens and vagrants. Is that more misinformation. I hope so because otherwise this sounds like the best option for me.

Your readings were correct up until early this year. We had enough of the bums ruining this beach. The police put extra patrol officers there and the whole beach was cleaned up. They built a new pier, banned RV's from parking there, and the beach is now beautiful.

The bathrooms still leave a lot to be desired though. I guess they just haven't gotten around to refurbishing them yet.

Just to clarify---the beginning of this thread mentioned the beach at Fort Zachary Taylor Park, which is about a 20 minute walk from the docks, including a big part of the walk inside the park. Then, it focused on Higgs Beach, which is definitely a longer walk.

We are considering renting an electric car to get around. Does this make everything more convenient or would it just be a hassle to park if you want to go to the beach?

We are in town only for a few hours, 7am to 2pm, and are looking for a plan.

I'm guessing the beach, somewhere, higgs?, might be fun for a few hours until lunch time?

It used to be up until this year but the city of Key West has decided that it would be better as a nice public beach. They've "chased" away the vagrants by allowing the police to ask anyone to leave for pretty much any reason, and have put up a volleyball court, and allowed Tropical Watersports to set up and rent things to attract people. There is actually some good snorkeling off the beach there. And you have the White Street pier for views and the West Martello Tower and Botanical garden. IMO it's going to catch on among the beach-goers in Key West.

Pjk

We are thinking of going back to Key West after our cruise in Jan. was wondering what the water temp. will be around the 23rd of Jan. will it be warm enough without wetsuits?

We will have a car to drive to the beach. Will there be parking available?

I thought I would give this a bump in hopes of a reply. Thanks

How's the swimming at Higgs Beach?

Is there much seaweed? Rocky or sandy bottom?

I know one person who lives in Key West and who swims here regularly. He says that it's the best swimming from the island. I've walked out onto the small, newly re-built pier that parallels the White Street pier and looked down into the water. It was clear with part sandy and part sea-grassy bottom. This, though, was only the part next to the pier. You can see it in the photo.

Pjk

Thanks for responding Peter. I think I will wear my suit under my clothes and play it by ear as I explore Key West.

All of the public beaches in Key West have an outdoor shower and indoor bathrooms where you can change. On Higgs, these are next to a small Italian restaurant called Salut. If you go in you could rinse off and change afterwards.

Pjk

Archived