Alaska weather in early September?

chewie44

Has anyone been to Alaska in early September? What is the weather like? Do I pack fall clothing? Do I pack mild weather clothing?

I would love to not overpack this time, as last year's transatlantic cruise I overpacked, and this year I want to pack just what is needed.:D

We cruised September 15-22 last year and had quite good weather. We needed a jacket while on deck and ashore, but were never uncomfortable. Had a couple of showers, but no steady rain.

All in all, we thought it a good time to be there. Not so many other travelers and everything was seriously on sale as many ships were repositioning just one week later.

Unfortunately in AK you have to be prepared for anything in September. We were there 9/12 to 9/23/07. We had two upper-70's days in Fairbanks followed by 9 days of pretty much cold, rainy weather. You'll almost certainly need some cold weather gear while viewing glaciers, because the ship is sitting in a basin of ice water.

You could take a chance on packing just for warm weather and buy some heavier stuff on the ship or in a port if you don't get lucky.

Hi, we went to Alaska last year in early September on a 14 night roundtrip cruise from Vancouver. I tend to over pack as well so I understand what you mean! I wore mainly T-shirts and capri pants on board during the day but I also carried a light weight fleece/sweatshirt around due to the air conditioning on the ship. I definitely needed the fleece outside most days, as the wind was a little cold but it was mostly nice days. At Hubbard Glacier it was very, very cold outside (but absolutely stunning and worth bracing the 'fresh' air) and I was glad I had my feather down jacket with me - great to pack as it looks bulky but it squashes down to a small size. But really a good fleece and rain jacket would have been OK. The secret is to dress in layers and take a windproof raincoat and umbrella! Apparently it tends to rain a bit at that time of year, but were were quite lucky as I think it rained about 4 days out of 15. We got heavy rain in Sitka both times we stopped there which was a but of a nuisance as it is a tender service, but I walked around town anyway - after all what's a bit of wet when you can go back to a hot shower or spa pool! If you want to do any of the flightseeing trips they can get cancelled due to rain and misty weather so if you are only deciding on the day and it is sunny weather do it, cause it could be different weather at the next port. Have a great cruise.:)

We were in September last year the week of September 7th. We had nice weather every day except for the day we were in port at Juneau. You have to be prepared for any type of weather.

The key is to layer.

We have been on a September Alaskan cruise and the best advice I can give is layering and waterproofing. Since we had been there before we knew how to prepare. Lightweight fleece is easy to pack and practically wrinkle proof. My DH and I both took waterproof boots and waterproof pants in addition to our waterproof jackets. When everyone else in our group of 40 scurried back to the ship after our whale watch we sauntered through Juneau like little kids playing in the rain. We never got cold or wet and did not miss anything we wanted to see. We took a tour from Skagway to Emerald Lake and saw the first snowfall of the year. We had every weather event known to this region - rain, snow, fog, cold, warmth, rainbows, and sunshine. It was one of our best cruising days ever.

There is a difference between waterproof and water resistant clothing. I bought my pants a size larger so that I would have room for my cuddleduds if I needed them. The only time I wore them on our last trip was glacier day. Our cruise made the glacier passage in the early morning and we had a starboard cabin with more wind.

Now is a good time to find what you need at lower prices too.

I wish I was sailing with you. September is a terrific time to cruise Alaska if you are prepared.

We were on the Amsterdam in Alaska the second week of September in 2007.

It was in the 50's in Juneau - misty and rainy at times.

It was in the 30's in Glacier Bay.

It was in the low 70's in Sitka and Ketchikan and we enjoyed the outside pools and even got a tan.

Anything is possible! Pack to dress in layers, including something water resistant, gloves and hats.

Take it from someone who lives in Alaska. September can be very unpredictable like stated above. We have had anything from 70's to actual snow in September. But the snow end is not as prevelent as the rain. If you stay down towards the South east coast, then you might get more rain than up toward Anchorage. The interior in Fairbanks is usually warmer than Anchorage, do to no offshore breezes, but can get cold at night to freezing...especially toward Denali.

Plan for all weather...but you wont need the parkas and snowpants yet.

Well, I believe after reading all of the comments, I will be taking a little of everything.:D I can pack my short sleeve shirts, a sweatshirt, light weight sweaters, gloves, hat and fleece anorak jacket.

I may have to purchase some of those rubber duck shoes, since I don't want to pack my very heavy winter snow boots.

Last year my luggage had a big red tag attached to it by the airport that warned "heavy", and they pulled me out of line, so my luggage could be checked. Perhaps they thought I was smuggling in something, since my bag was SO heavy.:rolleyes:

Archived