Travel Insurance not covering swine flu claims?

jerseygirl3

When I went to the Access America website, I notice a disclaimer that, effective April 24, Access America will not pay any claims related to swine flu (i.e., cancellations, medical expenses, etc). What is distressing about this is that if you book through insuremytrip (as we usually do), it doesn't mention this disclaimer.

I went ahead and booked through Travelex because they didn't have any disclaimers to that effect.

Checked Access America website, and it appears their policies do cover eventualities related to swine flu unless this current situation is declared a pandemic or epidemic. So, yes, the devil is in the details. This exclusion for epidemic is not new ... I just reviewed their Declaration of Coverage from 2005, and epidemic was an exclusion even back then.

Here's the link to their statement regarding swine flu coverage:

http://www.accessamerica.com/AA/News.aspx?newsID=1955

Checked Access America website, and it appears their policies do cover eventualities related to swine flu unless this current situation is declared a pandemic or epidemic. So, yes, the devil is in the details. This exclusion for epidemic is not new ... I just reviewed their Declaration of Coverage from 2005, and epidemic was an exclusion even back then.

Here's the link to their statement regarding swine flu coverage:

http://www.accessamerica.com/AA/News.aspx?newsID=1955

Okay, this is a completely new update today. As of as late as yesterday, it stated it would cover claims related to swine flu only for policies purchased prior to April 24, at which time it was declared an "event." For any policies purchased after April 24, they would cover nothing related to swine flu.

I guess their business dropped off as a result of that disclaimer and they updated and changed it today.

Okay, this is a completely new update today. As of as late as yesterday, it stated it would cover claims related to swine flu only for policies purchased prior to April 24, at which time it was declared an "event." For any policies purchased after April 24, they would cover nothing related to swine flu.

I guess their business dropped off as a result of that disclaimer and they updated and changed it today.

This is exactly what we were told today. We are headed to Playa del Carmen this Saturday for a land vacation, and purchased Access America coverage. We called Access America today and were told we ARE covered for medical issues related to swine flu if something should happen...because we purchased our policy February 2009 before any of this transpired.

Of course, we are taking ultra super duper precautions NOT to get the virus, and were able to secure a prescription of Tamiflu in advance to take with us, but *knock on wood* we plan to come home safe and sound and flu-free.

Checked Access America website, and it appears their policies do cover eventualities related to swine flu unless this current situation is declared a pandemic or epidemic.

So, to put it into proper perspective:

You will be covered up until it is declared a pandemic/epidemic. Which is precisely the time when cancellations/changes are most likely. So, when coverage is most needed, will be the time when it is least applicable.

Remember, from a business standpoint, "insurance" is nothing more than actuarial gambling, with the house looking to ensure as big a payoff for itself as possible without scaring off the customers. When it looks as though there may be a big "hit" on earnings, note how the "house" changes the rules of the game to ensure that they stay the winners.

All perfectly legal.....just want everyone to know what insurance really is.

So, to put it into proper perspective:

You will be covered up until it is declared a pandemic/epidemic. Which is precisely the time when cancellations/changes are most likely. So, when coverage is most needed, will be the time when it is least applicable.

Remember, from a business standpoint, "insurance" is nothing more than actuarial gambling, with the house looking to ensure as big a payoff for itself as possible without scaring off the customers. When it looks as though there may be a big "hit" on earnings, note how the "house" changes the rules of the game to ensure that they stay the winners.

All perfectly legal.....just want everyone to know what insurance really is.

I am not so sure its legal. It really depends on the state and the insurance contract. If it was covered before, I am not so sure they can just publish a notice saying its not covered anymore for policies already written. While most states have a file and issue rule, the filing has to tale place first in many states and there is some period before the new form is issuable.

They can of course notify everyone what the policy says and say they will be enforcing it.

I am not so sure its legal. It really depends on the state and the insurance contract. If it was covered before, I am not so sure they can just publish a notice saying its not covered anymore for policies already written. While most states have a file and issue rule, the filing has to tale place first in many states and there is some period before the new form is issuable.

They can of course notify everyone what the policy says and say they will be enforcing it.

Smeyer, I think what FT was saying is that pandemics/epidemics have always been excluded, and are therefore not covered once that stage is reached. So this falls more under the notification aspect, and if/when this flu reaches pandemic stage, then it is not included as of that declaration.

* Please note that all of our products have an exclusion for epidemic and pandemic. If the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) identifies this situation as an epidemic or pandemic, then as of the date of the determination it will not be covered under our coverage. PLEASE NOTE: The epidemic/pandemic exclusion does not apply to Connecticut, Minnesota, and New York residents for Emergency Medical benefits and does not apply to Washington state residents at all. Always refer to the Certificate of Insurance/Policy if you have any questions.

Smeyer, I think what FT was saying is that pandemics/epidemics have always been excluded, and are therefore not covered once that stage is reached. So this falls more under the notification aspect, and if/when this flu reaches pandemic stage, then it is not included as of that declaration.

* Please note that all of our products have an exclusion for epidemic and pandemic. If the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) identifies this situation as an epidemic or pandemic, then as of the date of the determination it will not be covered under our coverage. PLEASE NOTE: The epidemic/pandemic exclusion does not apply to Connecticut, Minnesota, and New York residents for Emergency Medical benefits and does not apply to Washington state residents at all. Always refer to the Certificate of Insurance/Policy if you have any questions.

as I said I am not so sure its legal and their own disclaimer says it doesn't apply everywhere even if there is a declared epidemic pandemic. If you have insurance and its disclaimed or denied the insurance company is not always right....

or,

they are saying spend $10,000 to challange a $3,000 claim. That way the attorney's can make more money

No that is NOT what I said.If you read my post there is no statement that you should sue. First of all most states have an insurance department that you can make a complaint to without cost. Most states also have an attorney general where you can file the same complaint. Finally of course some lawyer will start a class action lawsuit, which are always contingent claims(no winning no payment). So there is recourse. Maybe you should just pay money to the insurance company and take no issue when they deny the claim. Baa Baa....

I called travelex (this is the plan we decided to go with)today and asked if this flu would re-bound and return in October when we cruise would we be covered was told no that the cruise line is responsible but if we had to re-book our flights that we could submit a claim for the re-booking fee.

But said we would be covered if we had to cancel due to getting the flu before our cruise and couldn't make it with proven documents from doctor.

Archived