Ain't no such thing .........

sogamusicman

Well, the DW and I have now tried three lines: Carnival, HAL and NCL. I have come to the following conclusions:

1. There is no such thing as a bad cruise - some are only moderately wonderful, but they're ALL good!

2. Some people are never happy. We had a great deal of fun in Dining areas helping people who were unhappy to feel happier about cruising, rather than obsessing on every minor problem.

3. We are truly addicted! I think after the November cruise on Carnival, we're gonna try an RCL just to see if people really can ice skate on a cruise ship. Why not????

4. For those of you who are offended by this thread ---- let's get a drink of the day and talk about it..........

Well, the DW and I have now tried three lines: Carnival, HAL and NCL. I have come to the following conclusions:

1. There is no such thing as a bad cruise - some are only moderately wonderful, but they're ALL good!

2. Some people are never happy. We had a great deal of fun in Dining areas helping people who were unhappy to feel happier about cruising, rather than obsessing on every minor problem.

3. We are truly addicted! I think after the November cruise on Carnival, we're gonna try an RCL just to see if people really can ice skate on a cruise ship. Why not????

4. For those of you who are offended by this thread ---- let's get a drink of the day and talk about it..........

Offended, me?? Not a chance. I've loved every cruise I've been on. Loved maybe in different ways, but Loved them all, no less! Some people always walk around beneath a dark cloud, as well. Sorry for them, happy for you. :)

DT

I used to stress so much on vacation. Was I getting my moneys' worth? Am I seeing everything I'm "supposed" to see? I'd get mad at myself if some attraction wasn't up to my expectations.

I finally learned to let go on vacation. My recent cruise was amazingly relaxing. I feel bad for the folks who sweat the small stuff, because I understand.

You know, the only "issue" we had on our entire cruise was a burned out light bulb in our cabin. And there was plenty of light without it. I've learned life is more fun if I don't expect perfection.

I am not sure why anyone would be offended?

I have now tried NCL, RCCL, Princess, and very shortly I will be on Celebrity. I am completely addicted and I want to try most of the mass market lines. If I have learned one thing so far, its that they are definitely more similar than different.

When on a vacation and/or cruise, slow down.... Leave the rat race of everyday living behind....

Enjoy everything, don't worry about everything. If the service is slower than what you are used to, so be it. You shouldn't be in any hurry. The key is to slow down....

Don't take everything personally. There will be some hick ups, always are. Ignore them. Go with the attitude nothing will ruin this vacation, nothing....

Avoid the cattle lines as much as possible. Its in those lines you will hear the most complaints from the complainers.

Are you on vacation for R&R, or are you on vacation to rush, rush, rush? If you are in paradise, slow down to paradise's pace, not continue with the city's rat race pace.

. . . Its in those lines you will hear the most complaints from the complainers.

I agree, Don! I call those people "anxiety generators" and try to avoid them whenever possible. On a cruise ship (and sometimes on these boards), people tend to feed off of anxiety generators and make problems snowball and loom larger than they really are.

When I hear complaints on-board, my response (sometimes spoken, sometimes thought to myself) is, "I'm sorry you're having problems but I'm having a blast!":D

Sea Hound:D

From a person who has tried several cruise lines I can say I've enjoyed ALL my cruises. Some were more MEMORABLE than others and those are mostly for good reason (exception being Carnival). NCL and Princess are really fine cruise lines. Celebrity is in a league of its own and while I love sailing on Celebrity it's prices are enough to keep me away (unless it's chartered).

I'm not offended at all! I do go on vacation to have fun and when an issue arises I don't go screaming and yelling at people. What's the point of getting worked up if you're on vacation? Relax! Chill out and be happy! You'll get your issue resolved quicker that way and everything is right with the world again!!

I dread standing in line at the Purser's Desk... I really do! Avoid it like the plague and have a great time otherwise! :)

Been on Carnival, NCL, Princess, Cunard and RCCL and have enjoyed every one. Been on some of the lines more than once. Would like to try Holland America and Celebrity one day, but for now must watch the budget. off to Bermuda on the Dawn in July.

No complaints.

A cruise is what you make it... and I always make it relaxing. No phone, no internet. Just the spa, or a deck chair and a good book. It does not get any better than that.

I've loved all of my cruises :D...even the New Year's Eve cruise on the little but mighty Majesty....which suffered the seas from hell for 2 1/2 days straight, complete with closed upper decks, rope lines, barf bags all over the place & all of the liquor & perfume bottles crashing to the floor in the shops. :eek:! An intense rocky & rolly experience for sure. But a really terrific cruise just the same!

Of course, people do far better with inconveniences they expect than those that are surprises, so it does make sense to bring the little (or greater) inconveniences to light on sites like these. There's routinely a 40 minute wait for a table during prime time at dinner? Let people know. The coffee's not that good? The rooms are cleaned as well as you feel they should be? The drinks are watered down (or too strong or ...)? The tender lines are ridiculous because the crew takes no action to control line cutting? No chairs by the pool after 4:00 AM? Let people knopw what to expect. I bet they'll deal with it better then (or at least most people will).

I once recall reading a review of an all inclusive (land) resort I was palnning to stay at, which noted that the beverages in one's in room refrigerator were not automatically replenished--one needed to call housekeeping. Now knowing that, I made sure I called every day, sparing me the frustration of wanting to crack open a cold one and finding none there. A little thing? Sure; it wouldn't ruin my vacation. But forewarned is forearmed. Indeed, I think that's the best service sites like these provide.

I think it hard to not have a good time on a cruise. Any time someone cooks for me, cleans up after me, notices me and asks if I'd like something to drink, "drives" for me so I can see different locations every day without having to schlep luggage and deal with maps and struggle to find a place to "park"...I can put up with a lot of minor inconveniences ("hey, I need more towels!") when all that is done for me! :)

great attitude: I agree. One of my favorite things is to ask people who are not satisfied exactly what they do not like and to be spacific..Normally they really can't..After a few positive statements from me, they either lighten up or shut up.

Of course some complaints are legit and those need to be addressed, but even then, normally they do not ruin a cruise or shouldn't.

Nita

I couldn't agree more! The only expectation I have heading into a cruise is that I WILL enjoy myself. It worked!

cpcanuck

So, are you going to write a review of your recent Majesty trip? We were on the first Bermuda run on Majesty last year and enjoyed her smallness and good service. Didn't appreciate the food, though. Tried another ship, Dawn, and food was much better, and ship much larger. I'd love to hear your opinion about Majesty.

I completely agree with everything you said! There will always be some people who complain about EVERYTHING! I have loved every single one of my cruises and look forward to all the ones in the future. Don't get me wrong...we have had some "issues" on the trip, but I barely remember those parts. I remember the good times, not the bad!

flashdog..1, my first cruise ever was on the Majesty. It was 8 years ago. We sailed out of San Juan and went to Aruba, Curacao, Tortola, and either St Maartin or St Thomas. Well I did not fair very well on the ship. I was bouncing all over the place. I am not a big drinker....well we saved money as I could not drink.....I felt drunk already.....lol. I guess the waters were slightly rougher than normal and the Majesty doesnt have the better stablizers as the newer and larger ships. The cruise wasnt a total bust for me as we did go into the ports and checked them out. Luckily, while onboard I never had to partake in those bags around the ship. Being our first cruise (excluding hubbys Navy time) we found the ship to be great and service excellent. So from this experience I learned that if I were to cruise again I needed to sail on larger and newer ships. Well, a few months later I sailed again. Took mom on a short cruise for her 60th b-day. Sailed on the Carnival Victory....larger than the Majesty...and I had no issues. Now maybe if I had sailed the Majesty as a second or third cruise it may not have bothered me as much....dont know. All cruises are going to provide some hindsight. For me....I like to cruise......just need the right ship.....which is almost any of them!

I completely agree. Since my first cruise, I became hooked. I have only tired one other line (RCCL) but had just as much fun as I do on NCL. I am never more relaxed than when I am on a ship no matter what is happening. It does amaze me how miserable some people must be to complain all the time about the smallest things.

;);)

It is so true some people just are complainer's someone actually complained how people where dresse'd??? I wonder if every thing goes smooth at home without any problem's?? Just enjoy and have fun, things don't always turn out the way you would like. After all you are on vacation.

Monika

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Whenever I see/hear someone "complaining", I consider that free entertainment! ;)

I agree with almost everything! However, I have to say that it is possible to have a bad cruise. Fortunately, it is (IMO and experience) a very, very rare thing. Unfortunately, there are many people out there who claim that their cruise was "horrible" (or some other similar complaint) because some minor thing or things happened that made it less than what their fevered imaginings thought it "should" be or because they are the type who are never happy and only thrive when they can find something, anything, to complain about (sadly, I have a couple of relatives like that; sigh).

Happy cruising!

beachchick

I agree with almost everything! However, I have to say that it is possible to have a bad cruise. Fortunately, it is (IMO and experience) a very, very rare thing. Unfortunately, there are many people out there who claim that their cruise was "horrible" (or some other similar complaint) because some minor thing or things happened that made it less than what their fevered imaginings thought it "should" be or because they are the type who are never happy and only thrive when they can find something, anything, to complain about (sadly, I have a couple of relatives like that; sigh).

Happy cruising!

beachchick

And, I bet this thread is really making them mad!

How dare anyone try to tell them that they should relax, chill-out, sit back and enjoy something that is obviously so terrible!

We all, unfortunately have a few in our midst who fit the description perfectly.

Be it a cruise, a road trip, a flight, whatever, the first thing out of their mouths is the negative.

So, we don't ask: "How was your trip." This ticks them off too. :D:D

Archived