So what's good to eat on Carnival?

Bitter & Blanc what exactly is this?

Bitter and Blanc is a Warm Dark and White Chocolate Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce. It is one of the signature dishes of Chef Georges Blanc.

Another dish I look forward to on the ship is the Orange Soiree soup.

Usually the spa menu is all fish (not a fish fan) but there was one night that I tried the spa chicken and it was DELICIOUS! Probably my favorite meal of the cruise. Also, the hot soups are really good. I loved the caribbean pepper pot soup, which is something that I wouldn't have tried had I not been on a cruise.

I have a bunch of food pics up in my blog (link in sig), but some of my favorites...

-Fried Mozzarella is one of my must-haves. It's so amazingly delicious.

-Strawberry Bisque. Actually, most of the chilled fruit soups are excellent (except for the Chilled Curried Apple Soup in the MDR during lunch. Stay away from that LOL).

-Penne with Vodka Sauce

-Chateaubriand with Bernaise sauce

-Stuffed White Mushrooms...it's like mushrooms au gratin with spinach.

-Room service Veggie Sticks with Blue Cheese Dressing

-Room service Cheesecake

-Supper club Wasabi Mashed Potatoes. If I could eat one thing for the rest of my life, it might be this.

-Supper club Quad of Chocolate Desserts (don't remember the official name). It's total chocolate nirvana.

-Warm Chocolate Melting Cake + Cherries Jubilee on the first formal night.

And a shout out for the dearly departed Vegetables Princess and Wild Mushroom Ragout.

• 1 month later...

I am a month away from my first trip on Carnival, I have read the boards many times over and now can't wait to try the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake. Just one question though has any one ever seen Red Velvet Cake served. It is my new favorite cake I can have it everyday If I can especially with the cream cheese frosting. Even if they charge me for it can I request it in the dining room ?

OMG it is a killer when these threads come up. The pictures do not do the foods justice and for those who have taken them or cruised, it certainly brings us right back to our time on the ship.

I finally tried the Bitter and Blanc and am now as much a fan as I am of the Chocoalte Melting Cake...maybe more. Creme Brule is right up there.

The ribs were awesome, a bite different than Chili's which I love. The lobster and shrimp combo this year was different and also very good.

Basically, I didn't have a bad meal on the Miracle. Dh did comment the prime rib was not as good as in the past, though.

I am a fan of Carnival's Chocolate Melting cake, but with a caveat--it depends on the night and sometimes on the serving. I sailed with my family on Triumph last May, and we ate in the dining room every evening. Some nights the cake was way under cooked. Some nights some of us would get edible servings and others again would get very under cooked servings.

So I guess my advice is to not base your opinion of this Carnival favorite on just one try!! Take one for the team and order it over and over and over...

In my book it's never under-cooked, but sometimes over-cooked. Prefer it as a cross between cake and pudding.

I like the panko shrimp skewers. They can also be found in the buffe the same night they are served i the mdr, if you want more!

Chicken parmesan is awesome, yet I have never seen it in the mdr at dinner, and a few times in the lunch mdr on the last day at sea. On my last cruise, despite having four sea days, it made its appearance only on the last day, in the buffet:(

In my book it's never under-cooked, but sometimes over-cooked. Prefer it as a cross between cake and pudding.

One night on the Fascination in March, mine was over-cooked and I sent it back and got a perfect one. :)

10 more days and I'll be getting my bbq ribs and warm chocolate melting cake on. :D

Although I'll need to go on a diet first just from reading this thread.:eek:

I am a fan of Carnival's Chocolate Melting cake, but with a caveat--it depends on the night and sometimes on the serving. I sailed with my family on Triumph last May, and we ate in the dining room every evening. Some nights the cake was way under cooked. Some nights some of us would get edible servings and others again would get very under cooked servings.

So I guess my advice is to not base your opinion of this Carnival favorite on just one try!! Take one for the team and order it over and over and over...

I had the same problem. The first night it was over done and I wasn't going to order it again, thought everyone was crazy. The next night there wasn't anything I liked for dessert, so I gave it another try and OMG it was great! For the rest of the cruise it was never the same. Sometime underdone, sometimes overdone. For the record, it should be warm (da) firm on the outside and soft and moist inside. Fantastic!

I also loved the shrimp cocktail as a starter.

Enjoy ;)

{I've only sailed RCL previously}

What are the not-to-be-missed yummies on board Carnival?

Tip: The Snails are totally overrated, I had them for the first time on my Splendor Cruise and they taste just like mushrooms.

Will I have Snails again? HECK NO !! :D

Fred

The warm chocolate melting cake can be a hit or miss, sometimes overdone, sometimes not done enough but when it's right, it's really good.

I liked the pasta bar on the Conquest and the sandwich deli is great also.

Tip: The Snails are totally overrated, I had them for the first time on my Splendor Cruise and they taste just like mushrooms.

Will I have Snails again? HECK NO !! :D

Fred

Fred,

I absolutely love mushrooms and if I really, really thought that what escargot tastes like, I would have to order them. Somehow though, even though they smells so good because of the garlic butter, I just can't bring myself to eat them.

I do have to say though on Glory I told our waiter that the garlic butter smelled sooooo good that he brought me a small bowl of it to put on my baked potato. I thought I died and went to heaven, lol.

Fred,

I absolutely love mushrooms and if I really, really thought that what escargot tastes like, I would have to order them. Somehow though, even though they smells so good because of the garlic butter, I just can't bring myself to eat them.

I do have to say though on Glory I told our waiter that the garlic butter smelled sooooo good that he brought me a small bowl of it to put on my baked potato. I thought I died and went to heaven, lol.

Fred is correct, they taste like a chewier version of mushrooms.

Fred is correct, they taste like a chewier version of mushrooms.

Every time I have a meal in a dining room on any cruise ship, I keep in perspective how the food needs to prepared in mass quantities very quickly. I leave a respectable amount of room for error when critiquing the food or service for that matter. Having said that, I think Carnival does an exceptional job on food compared to other cruise lines.

My favorite food in the dining room is the Chateaubriand for dinner

I agree with everyone the escargot is not my favorite dish either. I give Carnival credit for serving it to such a large crowd in the first place. Every time I have ordered on or off a ship it is always swimming in butter. Not my cup of tea.

I agree with the consensus on the chocolate melting cake. Great – only when it is cooked right.

• 1 month later...

West Indian Roasted Pumpkin Soup

gently roasted in the oven, blended with chicken broth and a touch of cream

Baked Stuffed White Mushrooms

spinach, Romano cheese, and fine herbs

Spa Carnival (diet) Orange, Coconut, Banana, or Mango Cakes

In the supper club/steakhouse:

Lobster Bisque

Filet Mignon

Plate with assorted chocolate desserts on it (I don't remember the name of it)

Strawberry bisque, Chilled Mango soup, Pumpkin soup, French Onion soup.

Shrimp cocktail (and tiger prawns)

BBQ ribs, tilapia, chateaubriand with Bernaise(mmmm) lobster, crabcakes.

Warm chocolate melting cake, Bitter and Blanc, and surprisingly: the Orange diet cake (a light sponge cake).

Archived