So what's "not so good" to eat on Carnival?

Well, here is one of my rare complaints about Carnival. I LOVE their frozen VANILLA yogurt. That's the first thing I grab when I board any Carnival ship. :D It is to me like the DOD is to others. However, they have recently started putting strawberry yogurt in place of the vanilla some days...seems to be every other day. I hate the strawberry flavor and wish they would at least leave vanilla in one machine every day! Yeah, I know there are probably people who love the strawberry frozen yogurt like I do the vanilla. I'm just saying, they could have strawberry in one machine, vanilla in the other, and we'd all be happy. :cool:

Almost anything on the mexican buffet at midnight on lido deck. What is in that salsa? I have never had salsa that has oil in it. Those tacos? Horrible! The chips are even sketchy, but with the cheese sauce over them, edible.

I thought that was soooooo good!! Probably helped that i had a few beers in me haha. I'll have to try it sober on the next cruise.

The cheesecake is hit or miss, so is the chocolate melting cake for that matter IMHO

Well, here is one of my rare complaints about Carnival. I LOVE their frozen VANILLA yogurt. That's the first thing I grab when I board any Carnival ship. :D It is to me like the DOD is to others. However, they have recently started putting strawberry yogurt in place of the vanilla some days...seems to be every other day. I hate the strawberry flavor and wish they would at least leave vanilla in one machine every day! Yeah, I know there are probably people who love the strawberry frozen yogurt like I do the vanilla. I'm just saying, they could have strawberry in one machine, vanilla in the other, and we'd all be happy. :cool:

YES!!! I hated when it was strawberry and not Vanilla too!!

Having just returned from the Glory, I agree with Ron L.

The filet mignon was NOT filet mignon.

The rack of lamb was rather tough, but that may have been only the one I got.

Cheteaubriand was good, as was the turkey.

Lobster bisque was not good, tasteless.

Shrimp cocktail was ok and you can get as many as you want.

Melting cake is a matter of preference. I was not impressed and

only had it once. I am a chocoholic and found the Chocolate

Extravaganca missing the chocolate. I liked the soufflees and the

apple and capuccino pies.

MY favorite lunch was the Deli. My DW and I had corned beef,

smoked salmon and pastrami and reubens. All superb.

I liked the Thai appetizers, portabella mushrooms, and salads.

Hope this helps.

Coffee varied all over the map.

In the Lido I usually check several serving stations and find the one with the best coffee.

Have had good and dishwater coffee. Same in the dining room.

Best bet. Get cappucino and add cream to taste.

Orange water ( can't call it juice) is a joke. The staff put too little syrup into the machine,

so it comes out watery.

Mix hot chocolate with coffee and you have something drinkable.

ok i am a little scared...:eek:

fatty beef??? lousy pizza (well if it aint from jersey, it's lousy!:p)

icky eggs (i don't care if they're the liquid pasteurized kind like most hotels use )

and, this is REALLY bad...someone said the PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY is bad???:confused: HOW CAN YOU SCREW THAT UP?!?!?!:rolleyes::mad:

please tell me there is stuff that is GOOD!>!!! (guess i have to go re-read that other thread!)

icky eggs (i don't care if they're the liquid pasteurized kind like most hotels use )

and, this is REALLY bad...someone said the PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY is bad???:confused: HOW CAN YOU SCREW THAT UP?!?!?!:rolleyes::mad:

please tell me there is stuff that is GOOD!>!!! (guess i have to go re-read that other thread!)

Read the two threads one right after the other and it's actually very amusing. The same exact items keep showing up on both threads, especially the melting choco cake and the fruit soups. If nothing else, that should tell you it's very subjective, and so there is no need to worry.

The fried chicken is not good. It's supposed to be southern fried or soul food fried chicken but it's not. Chicken was the only thing on the ship I didn't eat, when I came back home all I ate was chicken! ;)

We have only been on 1 Carnival cruise-the Spirit this past March. I would say that most of the food that we had in the buffet area was mediocre-poor. I would recommend the dining room-especially for breakfast. We found the food quality and preparation to be lacking. The one exception with the pizza. As an example, very poor selection of fruits, cheeses, and salads.

Read the two threads one right after the other and it's actually very amusing. The same exact items keep showing up on both threads, especially the melting choco cake and the fruit soups. If nothing else, that should tell you it's very subjective, and so there is no need to worry.

good idea....i shall do that!

On our Triumph cruise last week, my wife and one of our table mates did not like the lobster bisque and strawberry soup. They said the dishes seemed watered down. Both ordered them because they had liked them in the past. My wife and another tablemate also had a chicken breast with noodles that neither of them liked. We all found plenty of good stuff and few disappointments. Baked Alaska has been the same for years-lousy. If you have not liked the tough beef of recent years--try the Flatiron Steak. Several of our group of 8 tablemates had it multiple times and it was always tender and good last week.

The duck is the only thing I have not liked.
OMG you beat me to it.

Ditto - The Duck. I didn't like how it looked.

Probably nothing wrong with it

but it simply looked too pinky-pink for me.

They took it away and brought me something else instead.

OMG you beat me to it.

I personally don't like duck, but DH loves it and has it on every cruise and says it's wonderful, to each his own!

OMG you beat me to it.

Duck, unlike chicken, is often served RARE.

I've only been on one Carnival cruise so far - back in November 2007. I didn't dislike anything, but there are things I won't order again.

The tilapia I got was very dried out. I was much happier with the sweet & sour shrimp.

The hot soups at dinner weren't impressive. I'll stick to other appetizers from now on.

I was really looking forward to the penne marisco - and I had to hunt for the shrimp and scallops. What there was, was good. There just wasn't enough for an entree portion.

I didn't care for the chocolate melting cake - the night I had it it was like the cake wasn't fully done. I would have preferred it to be "cake-ier" if you know what I mean.

The eggs benedict came out with the sauce dried out. I sent it back and asked for it to be made fresh. It came back perfectly. Next time I'll remember to ask for the sauce on the side.

I'm looking forward to trying lots of new things on upcoming cruises. I hate to waste food so I rarely change an order. But I learn what to avoid on future cruises.

On our recent Glory there was not much in the way of food to complain about except for the buffet.

I never cared for the buffet...not the eggs (I think they are fake) not the bagels (they are toasted and left to sit so that the cream cheese which is on ice... won't spread) not even the cheesecake. BUT...in the dining room...there was not much to complain about. I had the steak ...awesome...the ribs..YUMMY... I never disliked not one of the entrees. That said ...there were a few appetizers that I disliked. The chilled soups for one.. especially the cucumber dill soup. It was awful BUT... I was sooooo sunburnt that all I could think of was putting it on my face :D I had the bean soup ..yummy...the potato soup...yummy !!

I liked all the desserts except for the amaretto cake ...it had a funny clear jellylike layer on the top... of course...I peeled it off and at the rest :p

Beef wellington was awful! In fact, the beef wellington night was one that we dreaded and always went to the supper club. I asked a waiter when they were having it and remarked that it was the least favorite among cruisers.

This is nasty.. After 10 cruises, this is the one thing I avoid.:cool:

Don't know about the duck, never had it, never will. Just can't even imagine eatting it.

Other stuff is subjective.. I love the pumpkin soup, usually have 2 and love the WMC cake.

The iced tea is gross, it tastes like the stuff you get from a fountain between the coke and fake orange soda.

Pizza, yuck! I'd rather have frozen.

I also agree with the pp's, the Baked Alaska is dry and just ice cream with cream on top and stale cake.

My DH loves the coffee in the dining room, he always makes us stay after we eat dessert to have more coffee, but he hates the coffee in the lido. Is this the same stuff? I don't drink coffee, so I couldn't even guess.

Well, unless they just put them out fresh, the scrambled eggs that they have sitting there for awhile, get real wattery, not too good.

I loved the "whats good to eat" thread, but now I'm wondering if there are any dishes that you would recommend staying away from. :o

I still remember 9 years ago that the "Baked Alaska" was a huge disappointment. It was just ice cream with some whipped cream over it. Not a "Baked Alaska" at all.

(but honestly, I think that's the only food I didn't care for on the entire cruise!)

Anything you remember that you would NOT recommend??

Trust me, you probably won't like everything but there will be a lot of things that are really good. That's the good thing about cruising. If you don't like what you ordered or picked up, you can find something else and you're not out the money!

I loved the fruit soups that a lot of others seem to not like. It's all in your own taste!

Fact is, there are a lot of things on CCL that worth avoiding. But, there are more things that are worth trying, things that range from good to awesome.

If they still serve it, don't eat any of the hor'devores at the cocktail parties! Sushi is another sore spot. My big problem with breakfast is that waffles/pancakes are always stone cold. even in the dining room, they taste like they were made hours before and left to sit someplace. I now rely on my bagel and turkey bacon as breakfast.

However, don't be afraid to order something and try it. If you don't like it, don't sweat it.

Buffet is usually nasty, but you never know, so check it out. The fried chicken is good IF it is fresh. The first time I got it, even the thighs were dried out and chewey, second time was ok. The best thing I saw last cruise (and I don't know why they didn't serve it in the dining room!) was the chicken parmesan. Look for that on your last sea day. But I disgress, this is the bas food thread. WHat I am saying is that in a line full of poor quality food, you still might find a gem, like panko shrimps (hmm!).

You gotta be brave to post in this one...:eek:

Okay, I'm feeling brave. I finally tried the warm choc melting cake this last cruise, twice. It just tasted like an under cooked regular cake to me. Not good.

Now I will go run for cover and not come out until Thanksgiving.

I thought it was just me. I didn't see what the rave was. I guess I should take cover too.

Here's another vote for Baked Alaska. We had it on the Celebrity Infinity and really liked it, so we ordered it on our Fantasy cruise. My husband took a bite and said "I remember liking this" and we both thought it was awful on that cruise.

The sirloin steak alternative they have on the menu each night is also a hit or miss. Most of the time it was tough as shoe leather.

We were on the Triumph in November, and enjoyed 99.5% of all the food we tried. We did try a duck appetizer, since one of our goals was to try new things. We both thought it was awful. Could just be our taste-buds, since other people love it. The two dishes I had that I didn't like were the beef stroganoff and the spinach mushroom lasagna. The stroganoff tasted like someone dumped a pound of salt in it! I don't usually salt my food at all, and this was like licking a salt block we put out for the cattle! :eek: The lasagna was really gritty, like they forgot to wash the spinach. It was also cold. I will probably give them another try, just to see if it was a fluke, especially the lasagna, since it sounds soooo good. Maybe the sous-chef was having a bad night. Otherwise, we really enjoyed what we ate. The WCMC was good, the strawberry bisque was just like eating melted ice cream (never a bad thing in my opinion!), and we both loved the pizza, especially the de chevre for me! That's the great thing about taste buds, most everyone's are different, and as such a wide variety of foods are available, you will find something to make yours happy! My taste buds hate raw tomatoes, but like cooked ones. Go figure! :D

Archived