Where to stay - Anchorage or Seward?

Boo Boo

Hi

We are about to book a cruise from Seward to Vancouver in July. We plan to fly in from LA and get into Anchorage at about 1pm the day before the cruise. I would like to take the train down to Seward.

I was originally thinking of staying in Anchorage, but wondered if it would be better or even possible (i.e. with the train shcedules) to go straight to Seward that day?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Boo

Hi

We are about to book a cruise from Seward to Vancouver in July. We plan to fly in from LA and get into Anchorage at about 1pm the day before the cruise. I would like to take the train down to Seward.

I was originally thinking of staying in Anchorage, but wondered if it would be better or even possible (i.e. with the train shcedules) to go straight to Seward that day?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Boo

Hi Boo ! (love your name!!)

The train from Anchorage to Seward leaves Anchorage @ 645am, so you will not be able to make that train (the only one) on the day you arrive in Anchorage.

So... if you are planning on taking the train (and I certainly recommend), you could spend the night in Anchorage and then take the train down to Seward on the day your ship departs.

http://www.akrr.com

Hi Mom! :) (great name!)

Thank you very much, I will check this out. The train sounds really wonderful, so looks like staying in Seward is out.

I will start planning around the train :)

Boo

Hi Boo ! (love your name!!)

The train from Anchorage to Seward leaves Anchorage @ 645am' date=' so you will not be able to make that train (the only one) on the day you arrive in Anchorage.

So... if you are planning on taking the train (and I certainly recommend), you could spend the night in Anchorage and then take the train down to Seward on the day your ship departs.

http://www.akrr.com[/b']

Boo: I don't know how "upscale" you like your accommodations to be (though I know you're traveling on Regent, so...). From my research I haven't found any lodging in Seward even approaching the couple of "upscale" hotels in Anchorage. May not matter to you at all, but if it does, there's another reason that Anchorage overnight is the right place for you. That's what we'll be doing, and it'll mean missing some terrific-sounding Kenai excursions (near Seward), but I figure there'll be plenty of other handsome things to see and do on the cruise itself.

Boo, I just posted a reply to you over on the Regent forum...

In terms of Anchorage vs. Seward, I think you have to decide what's most important to you. If the train to Seward is your number one priority, then you're right about Seward being out.

When I was researching our trip, however, I decided a boat trip to Kenai Fjords National Park was our highest priority, and planned a stay in Seward because of that. While the train, indeed, seems like a nice option, you can get basically the same views by either taking a bus/van or by renting a car. (We're doing the latter, in order to be able to stop whenever we want along the way for pictures. I did this drive last year and stopped repeatedly!)

In terms of hotels that poss mentioned, I'd respectfully disagree. The hotels in Anchorage are not "upscale"; I stayed at the Anchorage Hilton last year and found it perfectly fine -- but I wouldn't consider it upscale in any way. I also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Seward, and found it perfectly fine as well -- nice size, clean rooms, comfortable beds, nice (free) breakfast room, nice view of the harbor. If having a restaurant and bar inside your hotel is important to you, or if you need a hotel business center, or a bellman, that's what the Hilton offers as a full-service hotel that you don't get at a hotel like the Holiday Inn Express. On the other hand, you get a free continental breakfast at the HIE, and will spend $20pp for breakfast at the Hilton! For what it's worth, the American Automobile Association, AAA, gives both the Anchorage Hilton and the Seward Holiday Inn Express the identical 3 diamond (3 stars out of a possible 5) rating.

-- Eric

Eric: I put the word "upscale" in quotes for the very purpose of indicating that one should take the designation with more than a few grains of salt. From everything I've read on numerous websites and in numerous reviews, there are indeed no truly upscale hotels in Anchorage. Nothing wrong with that at all, and for sure nothing wrong with "perfectly fine," but it occurred to me that someone might find the info (or opinions I guess I should say) useful. I never care about business centers or free internet or free breakfast or bars or bellmen-- but I do love sumptuous linens and wonderful bathrooms and excellent furnishings. Absolutely don't "need" such thing to be comfortable or happy-- but sure do dig them when possible (budget-wise and otherwise).

It is absolutely possible to do the train AND a 6-hour Kenai cruise that goes beyond Ressurection Bay and returns in time to board ship. I am doing just that with Renown and the Toursaver book.

3 July 2009 SB Millennium following independent land tour.

If you want to take the train to Seward, you are best to stay at the Comfort Inn Suites at Ship Creek in downtown Anchorage. It is an easy walk to the Alaska Railroad depot for a 6:45am departure and close to many downtown activities.

The Kenai Fjord cruise lines will hold your luggage while you are on the boat trip into Kenai Fjords. Once you return, there's usually a shuttle to the ship.

Someone mentioned you were cruising on Regent. My wife and I worked the Mariner as naturalists about six years ago. It's a gorgeous ship and the crew is fantastic. You'll love it.

Eric: I put the word "upscale" in quotes for the very purpose of indicating that one should take the designation with more than a few grains of salt. From everything I've read on numerous websites and in numerous reviews, there are indeed no truly upscale hotels in Anchorage. Nothing wrong with that at all, and for sure nothing wrong with "perfectly fine," but it occurred to me that someone might find the info (or opinions I guess I should say) useful. I never care about business centers or free internet or free breakfast or bars or bellmen-- but I do love sumptuous linens and wonderful bathrooms and excellent furnishings. Absolutely don't "need" such thing to be comfortable or happy-- but sure do dig them when possible (budget-wise and otherwise).

Poss, I also enjoy luxury hotels, and didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I was simply trying to say that I didn't find the Anchorage Hilton possessed those qualities. And that I didn't think staying at the Hilton offered enough advantages on its own to choose it over spending a night in Seward and being able to take a trip to Kenai Fjords National Park -- if that's something of interest. You said that you had research showing no hotels in Seward "even approaching the couple of 'upscale' hotels in Anchorage", and I was noting that the Seward Holiday Inn Express, while certainly a different type of property than a Hilton, received the same AAA rating at the Anchorage Hilton. And having actually stayed in both those hotels last year, I felt that while neither was particularly upscale, they were both fine for a comfortable night sleep.

-- Eric

I just called Alaska Railroad and got our tickets from Anchorage to Seward the morning of July 17th. The ticket agent mentioned that they only had 8 tickets left, so if you want to travel on that train and haven't yet reserved, do so soon!

Alaska Railroad has a deal where people turning 50 in 2009 travel for free in Adventure Class (or can get a discount towards towards Gold Star.) I'm turning 50, so we were able to take advantage of that deal. You have to call to get this deal instead of reserving on-line. The number is 1-800-544-0552.

For our dates, the Comfort Inn is sold out, according to their website. We're staying at the Day's Inn, which looks like a bit of a dive -- but we're arriving at midnight on the 15th and leaving very early for the train on the 17th, and don't plan to spend time in our room on the 16th, so we don't really care. As long as there aren't any bedbugs.... ;^D

Claire

progress.gif

You people are just SOOOO helpful - LOTS of food for thought! :)

Yes, Regent Mariner - looks like a gorgeous ship. We have only sailed on the mass-market cruise lines so far, but I am looking forward to the change: especially for a destination like Alaska - I think that a smaller ship, with less guests would suit Alaska well.

I do like nice hotels, but - for only one night - being clean and wlel maintained is the most important thing. Like to have interenet too (so husband can check intwith his business).

Hadn't actually thought about doing an excursion in Seward - so I will check out Kenai Fjord Cruises.

Had really wanted to take the train down, but if the Kenai Fjords were more attractive then could be persuaded. What is the alternative? Are there any coach shuttles or transfer services that could take us from Anchorage Airport to Seward the day before the cruise?

Boo

If you do decide to spend the night in Seward, I highly recommend the Holiday Inn Express. The location was great, the service was very good and the view from our balcony was beautiful. This of course assumes you have a Harbor facing room. ;)

ViewofSmallBoatHarbor1.jpg

ViewofSmallBoatHarbor2.jpg

Have a great vacation.

What time is your ship leaving Seward?

The Regent Mariner leaves Seward at 6 pm. Too bad, if they made it two hours later, passengers could take the morning train from Anchorage and do a day trip to Kenai Fjords National Park, and be back in time for boarding.

-- Eric

Is there any way you can squeeze in another night? If so, I'd do Anchorage, train, Kenai Fjords National Park, Seward (either the HIE or Windsong Lodge) and use the morning of embarkation to visit the Alaska SeaLife Center, perhaps take a kayak trip or an easy hike to Exit Glacier etc.

If you're sailing on Regent I assume you're already paying at least $7,000 per couple for the cruise. For another $200 you can add 1 extra night in Alaska and then you can fit your dream of the train and an extra National Park :)

Thank you, will check out the Captain Cook Hotel too.

Is there any way you can squeeze in another night? If so, I'd do Anchorage, train, Kenai Fjords National Park, Seward (either the HIE or Windsong Lodge) and use the morning of embarkation to visit the Alaska SeaLife Center, perhaps take a kayak trip or an easy hike to Exit Glacier etc.

If you're sailing on Regent I assume you're already paying at least $7,000 per couple for the cruise. For another $200 you can add 1 extra night in Alaska and then you can fit your dream of the train and an extra National Park :)

Good idea, but not about money really (although the trip is getting pretty expensive...)... but we already have flights from the UK booked (flying from the UK to LA on 17th July). We are going there first because we have family there (husband's 85 year old Grandma, his uncle and I expect that we will meet up with his parents there too). The plan was: arrive on the 17th, spend 3 days there, fly out VERY early on 21st (8am flight from LAX), that gets us to Anchorage one day before the cruise... if we go a day earlier, then that means a day less with the family - which would be a shame.

An option could be to take the late night flight to Anchorage (leave LAX about 10pm?) the night before, but that gets into Anchorage at about 1.30am ish... doesn't leave very long before the train leaves for Seward (6am). By the time we got luggage and got into the town, would probably have about 2/2.5 hours sleep in a hotel - not a good start to a holiday...

Will have a think.

Boo

Thank you, will check out the Captain Cook Hotel too.

Good idea, but not about money really (although the trip is getting pretty expensive...)... but we already have flights from the UK booked (flying from the UK to LA on 17th July). We are going there first because we have family there (husband's 85 year old Grandma, his uncle and I expect that we will meet up with his parents there too). The plan was: arrive on the 17th, spend 3 days there, fly out VERY early on 21st (8am flight from LAX), that gets us to Anchorage one day before the cruise... if we go a day earlier, then that means a day less with the family - which would be a shame.

An option could be to take the late night flight to Anchorage (leave LAX about 10pm?) the night before, but that gets into Anchorage at about 1.30am ish... doesn't leave very long before the train leaves for Seward (6am). By the time we got luggage and got into the town, would probably have about 2/2.5 hours sleep in a hotel - not a good start to a holiday...

Will have a think.

Boo

With your flights in place, I would suggest you take the early morning train from Anchorage to Seward on the day of your cruise. You will have time to take in one major activity in Seward. You could take a helicopter ride to a glacier and ride on a dog sled with Godwins (It has been said on this forum that the The Seward dog sled rides are not cancelled as often as those in Juneau and Skagway), you could visit the Sea Life Center where you can see Puffins up close and personal, or you could go to Exit Glacier and take a short hike to the edge of the the glacier.

Even though we enjoyed our Kenai Fjords Tour, missing it will not make or break the wonderful experience you will have in Alaska. You will be on a very scenic stretch of the Alaska Railroad. We were in awe almost the entire way. It truly is a relaxing and beautiful ride. Whatever you decide to do in Seward will give you another great experience in Alaska. One thing I learned is that you can't do it all on one visit to Alaska, unless you have unlimited time and money. So, just fully enjoy what you have planned. You will be awestruck with the beauty!!! Enjoy your trip and please come back and let us know how it went.

It is absolutely possible to do the train AND a 6-hour Kenai cruise that goes beyond Ressurection Bay and returns in time to board ship. I am doing just that with Renown and the Toursaver book.

3 July 2009 SB Millennium following independent land tour.

Unfortunately, the OPs ship is departing at 6:00 p.m., so the train and 11:30 a.m. boat tour will not work for day of departure.

However, if the Kenai Fjords tour is a priority, this is how it could work:

When you arrive in Anchorage, rent a car with Hertz (only car rental in Seward) and head on down to Seward. Driving time is about 2 1/2 -3 hours without stops. There are many places to stop along the way if of interest.

http://alaska.org/driving/seward-drive.htm

The next morning, take the 8:00 a.m. Kenai Fjords tour which returns at 2:00 p.m. You might even be able to fit in a quick visit to the Sea Life Center before you have to board your ship.

http://www.kenaifjords.com/543.cfm

http://www.alaskasealife.org/

So, yes, you can take the train, yes, you can take a Kenai Fjord tour.

However, you CAN NOT DO BOTH in your time frame. You will have to choose one or the other. Again, either way, you will have a great trip!!!!

Vbmom87 is right on the money above; for Boo Boo, I'd just like to throw in one additional alternative...

I don't know if you prefer to avoid driving in the US, since we drive on the "wrong" side for you? ;) If so, there are companies which do afternoon bus or van trips from Anchorage to Seward. So if you decide to spend the night in Seward so you can take the 8 am Kenai Fjords trip, you can still take the 8 am flight from LA to Anchorage and get to Seward without driving. Some of the companies may offer a stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center along the way. Of course, driving offers you the most flexibility to stop anywhere along the drive for pictures, to make a detour to Portage Lake or Girdwood if you want, but if you want to avoid driving, I just wanted to note that there are other options for getting from Anchorage to Seward in the afternoon.

-- Eric

Thank you vbmon87 - very useful advice and lots of brilliant links: will check them all out. As you say, it is definitely an "either or"... I will research the alternatives and talk them through with the husband.

Thanks too, Eric... yes, terrible you lot driving on the "wrong" side of the road... ;). Actually husband learnt to drive and passed his first driving test in California before passing his test here in the UK (since he has family over in California, it was a good thing for him to do one Summer holiday). Plus we spend quite a tend to spend a few weeks (3 or 4) a year in the US, so he gets regular practice. No, it was just the thought that a van/coach transfer might be less hassle (door to door, rather than touring the various Hertz Depots), BUT it is another option :)

So many options: not sure if you lot are making my life easier or my decisions more difficult... :)

Thank you :)

Boo

Thank you vbmon87 - very useful advice and lots of brilliant links: will check them all out. As you say, it is definitely an "either or"... I will research the alternatives and talk them through with the husband.

Thanks too, Eric... yes, terrible you lot driving on the "wrong" side of the road... ;). Actually husband learnt to drive and passed his first driving test in California before passing his test here in the UK (since he has family over in California, it was a good thing for him to do one Summer holiday). Plus we spend quite a tend to spend a few weeks (3 or 4) a year in the US, so he gets regular practice. No, it was just the thought that a van/coach transfer might be less hassle (door to door, rather than touring the various Hertz Depots), BUT it is another option :)

So many options: not sure if you lot are making my life easier or my decisions more difficult... :)

Thank you :)

Boo

Let us know what you decide and check back in after your trip.

Archived