Next Best Fam CruiseLINE next to Disney?

CATJAMMIES

We all have our favorites. So you will get 5 different answers from the next 5 posters. ;)

My favorite is Royal Caribbean. They have 3 ships that are in the "Freedom Class" that have a flowrider (surfing), rock climbing, ice skating, H20 zone water park and an adult only solarium for the parents ;).

Carnival is my 2nd choice for families because of their water slides and the food is REALLY good. And they are priced lower than most.

I've been on Disney twice - both Wonder and Magic and we still like Royal Caribbean more.

We just booked the Carnival Freedom for this August b/c it's an 8-day cruise, including some unique port stops: St Thomas, San Juan, Tortola, Nassau, and Antigua. We are really excited about the extra day (8, not 7) and the Antigua stop.

CeleBrat

We only have experience with RCCL and Disney. We liked Disney a lot but just couldn't justify paying the extra premium and switched to RCCL. We have always been happy on RCCL cruises in terms of the mix of passengers, ships, on board activities, and itineraries.

With kids of those ages and the economy the way it is, I suggest forgetting the specific cruise line and looking for a new destination, such as Alaska or Europe. Your kids are just the right age to be appreciate and be fascinated by new and different locations. Because of the economy, there are fabulous bargains in Alaska and Europe, and the airfare is cheaper than it has been in many years. Also, August is a great month for Alaska (with respect to the weather). We have taken the kids to Europe 4 times in August. Since you're from Georgia, you probably won't mind the heat in the Med, and, if you prefer a cooler getaway, try the Baltics. Both are wonderful for kids!

Royal Caribbean's Freedom class has freshwater pools if that is what you are asking (Oasis will as well). The other RCCL ships have saltwater pools and all of Carnival's ships have saltwater pools.

Big, important question -

do any of these rccl & carnival ships have chlorine pools?

Carnival - no all saltwater

Princess - "fresh" water

Royal Caribbean - fresh water on Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Independence of the Seas and Oasis of the Sea

Ok -

So then of the 4 RCCL ships - Freedom, Liberty, Independence & Oasis &

Princess ships with that ----

Which do you consider the most fun for kids???

(& my kids would prob. like a climbing wall, surfing, etc.....)

thanks everyone --

this is VERY helpful!!!!!!!!

Ok -

So then of the 4 RCCL ships - Freedom, Liberty, Independence & Oasis &

Princess ships with that ----

Which do you consider the most fun for kids???

(& my kids would prob. like a climbing wall, surfing, etc.....)

thanks everyone --

this is VERY helpful!!!!!!!!

Royal Caribbean (still waiting for that check from them ;) )

But seriously, as far as family friendliness, it seems like Royal Caribbean has it all

I wrote my most recent review on RCCL Independence of the Seas here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=923729

I want to try Oasis of the Seas at some point only because they added in the zipline (yes ON the ship), the Carousel and the boardwalk. So I think my kids would just go crazy for that.

www.OasisoftheSeas.com

I think the other cruise lines are nice. But RCCL is doing some things that are just over the top for kids. :D

And yes, RCCL, you can make that check payable to crusinmama06 in care of.... :p

the Seas (RCCL)

Anyone an expert on this ship?

Let's SAY price is no object -

What deck/location is best?

Where (what deck & forward/aft) do you most eat on? (the casual common place)

&

Where (what deck & forward/aft) do you see most shows?

&

Kids clubs - for an 11 & 13 yr old ---- (deck/forward/aft) for their "clubs"?

THANK YOU!!!!! WE'RE HONING IN ON IT ALLL!!!!!!!!

the Seas (RCCL)

&

&

I am not an expert but we just cruised Freedom for the second time. My answers are:

We were on deck 10 both trips. Once in a suite and once in a E1 Balcony room. I really like deck 10 but others do not (you are below the pool and.or Windjammer buffet).

Causal Dining - Sorrentos Pizza - Deck 5 forward (closer to midship in the Promenade

Shows: Arcdia Theatre Deck 3 Forward. Followed by Studio B - Deck 3 (mid)

Kids Clubs - Deck 12 aft. My 13 year old DD loved the "Living Room" area this time. She was 11 and loved AO on our prior cruise.

the Seas (RCCL)

&

&

Freedom is the exact same as Independence - been on them both, the only difference was tea kettles in the cabins on Indy - other than that, I couldn't tell the difference. :D

The dining room is 3 levels high. So you could eat on Deck 3/4/5

Then my hubby spent ALOT of time in the pizza place (Sorrento's) in the Promenade (deck 5)

But honestly, we like to stay higher up. The higher, the better. Both times have been Deck 10. We like to be one deck down from the pools and 2 decks down from the kids clubs. It's just where we spend the most time. All of th rock climbing walls, flow riding, golf, etc - all high decks.

The shows are on the lower decks. But that's ok because you go to dinner on a lower deck then walk over to the show. During the day, you spend most of your time on a higher deck.

We used to try to stay more midship. This last time we got AFT Junior Suite at the very back of the ship on deck 10. THAT was nice. :D

And Wrona - ok, you let me know when you get that check. ;)

I want to know all about it ------

Can people tell me on this thread, or shall I start a new one.

I believe we're slated for a 6th deck balcony room.

I want to know about rooms there'll be 4 of us in one - how do the twin beds work?, meal seatings, restaurants, entertainment, excursion recs....

We've ordered our kit - but any insider info is much appreciated as I am a BIG planner of every detail!!!

Congrats! :D

Go to the Royal Caribbean board here at cruise critic and there is a thread (about a 100 pages) called All Things Freedom of the Seas

No need to start a new one. ;)

If you can't find it let me know and I will track it down for you.

Archived