In Room Sitting

Our son will be a little over 11months old at our time of sailing. RCCL Sitter at Seas is advertised at 12 months. How strict are they with this? Do they check birth certificates. My 9 and 12 year old will be there as well so I would not be worried. We would really like to use this option in order to take my parents to Chops for dinner.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=794140&highlight=rccl+babysitter+room&page=2

Although this thread is a year old, perhaps it has some helpful information. Of course, they will know how old your baby is, and you are correct, they do state, in capital letters, that your child must be at least 12 months old. Is is possible for your two older children to watch the baby a couple of hours?

I don't know how strict they are but as you have seen my other posts, I am a huge fan of the service. I would try to book it and see what happens. I am thinking you would be able to get away with it as you are so close, but then again it might be a rule thing and they might not make exceptions. I do hope you are successful!

I don't know how strict they are but as you have seen my other posts, I am a huge fan of the service. I would try to book it and see what happens. I am thinking you would be able to get away with it as you are so close, but then again it might be a rule thing and they might not make exceptions. I do hope you are successful!

Well, there is that, but it's also a liability thing. Their insurance rates and policies are based on various things, including age restrictions. As well, if they allow an exception for one "almost" 1-y/o, then every parent with an "almost" age child could (reasonably and justifyably) insist that an exception be made for them. It's best for RCI to make an age rule and stick with it for their benefit and their pax.

Yes, they will know the age of the child. There's no way to lie about it because the boarding documents must match the age recorded on the reservation exactly.

beachchick

(y'all know what I'm gonna say....)

We got babysitting every night on the Radiance when DS was 5.5 months old. I did fess up to how old DS was and was told "no" at first, and then pleaded my case that we only wanted a sitter for 2 hours every night from 8:30 to 10:30 so we could have dinner in MDR without a baby, and that DS was going to be asleep at 7:30 every night, so he would be asleep when the sitter was there, so all we really needed was someone to watch him sleep.

Clouds parted, I heard anggels sing, and the nice guest relations lady said "okay, I will put in your request" We got a sitter and were DS free for dinner every night. (and he did sleep every night, that sitter made $25 easy dollars!)

That said, I do NOT think the guest relations people have access to your personal information on their computers. If you were me, when you go to request babysitting and they ask how old your child was, you will say "one year" and hold your breath and wait and see what happens.

What's the worst that can happen? They DO have your personal information and the person calls you on it? Big deal, right? Just grin widely (like this -> :D) and, in an aw shucks kinda voice, say "I was rounding up" (they're not going to kick you off for fibbing!)

Then explain (in a semi pleading voice) that you only need the sitter because you want to treat "whomever" to a night at protpfinos/chops, that your baby will be asleep and/or is very well behaved, etc, etc, etc, and that you have already made the reservations (make those first) and you would hate to have to cancel them.

It's worth a shot, right? If you do it you have to let us know how everything worked out!

Well, there is that, but it's also a liability thing. Their insurance rates and policies are based on various things, including age restrictions. As well, if they allow an exception for one "almost" 1-y/o, then every parent with an "almost" age child could (reasonably and justifyably) insist that an exception be made for them. It's best for RCI to make an age rule and stick with it for their benefit and their pax.

Yes, they will know the age of the child. There's no way to lie about it because the boarding documents must match the age recorded on the reservation exactly.

beachchick

You don't bring any boarding documents with you to book babysitting. IIRC the only thing you need when you are standing at guest relations requesting the service is YOUR seapass (not the kids).

In fact, I would leave baby with DH or someone else, just in case baby does look young - so they don't question you twice.

I agree with previous poster. Even if it is a rule, I would try to get past the age thing. It is not an instance where you trying to break a rule or get an exception is going to hurt anyone else on the boat. It will not negatively effect any other passengers or cause a problem.

I also agree, when we booked it on the IOS this past April, they asked the age and did not ask for any proof, I don't think they have that information at the desk.

I would urge you to go for it and also book a few additional nights, this way when you see how great the service is and want to book more, it will be all set!:D

You don't bring any boarding documents with you to book babysitting. IIRC the only thing you need when you are standing at guest relations requesting the service is YOUR seapass (not the kids).

In fact, I would leave baby with DH or someone else, just in case baby does look young - so they don't question you twice.

I wasn't talking about when booking babysitting. I was talking about boarding. The correct age will be in the computer if, as you mention, they check at guest relations.

beachchick

I wasn't talking about when booking babysitting. I was talking about boarding. The correct age will be in the computer if, as you mention, they check at guest relations.

beachchick

Ah, yea.

For some reason I really dont think that your personal information (birthdates, passport info, CC#'s) are available on the various systems on the ship. It seems like it would be too great a liability risk/issue for RCCL to do that. What, with thousands of employee's on board, it only takes one dishonest one to get a peek over someone shoulder, or to find a moment of opportunity and be able to steal your (or your baby's) identitiy. There is a LOT someone can do with a name and birthdate!

It seems that guest relations does not need to know the ages of everyone in any cabin. they only need to know that some form of payment has been assigned for the sea pass balance.

That makes me wonder if you can change your form of payment mid week.....

Anyways - I'm hoping that OP comes back and let's us know if she is successfull.

Archived