Travelling to USA in 2010 and would love some help.

Brossy

Rose' date=' we are flying Southwest from John Wayne Airport (OC - closer to Anaheim than LAX) to Las Vegas and got quite good rates. $139.20 US return each which includes all taxes etc. I had to wait until 3 months out before I could book. Be patient :)[/quote']

Southwest have their own approach where seating is a free-for all based on online check-in, which opens up 24 hours before. Thus, you don't have to, but if you only do it at the airport, you will be last to board so the last seats will likely be split up and down the back in middle seats. For a one hour flight though, it's not a big deal though (I tend to have that luck for much longer flights!)

Thanks. More than likely we will fly to Vegas first so I probably can do it before I leave home :).

Brossy,

In Las Vegas there are several time share properties that have rentals. For example the Hilton Grand Vacations Club has three such places and there are several others such as the Marriott and Wyndham. The Hilton Grand Vacation Club at the Flamingo is especially nice because you can walk everywhere from here.

These are fairly large apartment/condos with full kitchens and ideal for families such as yours for about the same you willpay for a hotel room. There are one and two bedroom units. Parking is free and they have all the amenities you could ask for.

You would save quite a lot by having some breakfasts, lunches and dinners in. Lots of super markets in Las Vegas where you can buy whatever you need.

And in Las Vegas valet parking is inexpensive ($2.00 to 3.00 US) and you should use it. because it saves lots of time.

Brossy,

And in Las Vegas valet parking is inexpensive ($2.00 to 3.00 US) and you should use it. because it saves lots of time.

I'll second that!! Having a valet bring your car up while you stand in the shade (or even in an air-conditioned waiting area), with the car's air conditioning already cranked up high for you...in Las Vegas you do come to appreciate that, very quickly!!

Parking at the San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park is free. There is a charge for SeaWorld, Legoland and the Wild Animal Park parking.

I thought we paid to park at the zoo, my mistake. It must have been the Wild Animal Park.

Jen in SoCal

Hi Cruisin' Chick

Vegas is for DH :rolleyes: no way he'll let us travel all the way to USA and not go to Vegas. I'll leave him to do a bit of gamling while i take the kids to a shopping centre (There used to be a factory outlet there somewhere just outside of town). I think the kids would love the lights and the different hotels.

We took our kids to Las Vegas. THey had a good time. We only stayed a couple days. But there are alot of hotels with attractions for kids. SO you should be fine. THey have roller coasters at New York New York, the stratosphere has rides also....there is an arcade area at the M&M place...have fun

I've read through this thread and just want to add a bit. You may want to check out Fox Rent A Car (foxrentacar dot com), they typically have some great prices out of the following airport locations: LAX, Las Vegas, Orange County (SNA), and San Diego. My parents had a very good experience renting out of Seattle with Fox for two weeks, and the price was nearly too good to be true. Check for coupons on their website.

Also, if you plan to see Legoland in Carlsbad, there is a great hotel nearby- West Inn and Suites. We have stayed here four times since moving from southern CA. Their rooms are meticulous with wonderful bedding, they offer double kingbed rooms (great for your family of five), an extensive breakfast buffet, 24 hr. coffee and tea, a pool, shuttle service within Carlsbad, a warm friendly staff, and even 'cookie hour' in the evenings- complimentary cookies and milk served from 8 to 9 p.m. See their website at westinnandsuites dot com.

Have a great time on the west coast!

I've read through this thread and just want to add a bit. You may want to check out Fox Rent A Car (foxrentacar dot com), they typically have some great prices out of the following airport locations: LAX, Las Vegas, Orange County (SNA), and San Diego. My parents had a very good experience renting out of Seattle with Fox for two weeks, and the price was nearly too good to be true. Check for coupons on their website.

Also, if you plan to see Legoland in Carlsbad, there is a great hotel nearby- West Inn and Suites. We have stayed here four times since moving from southern CA. Their rooms are meticulous with wonderful bedding, they offer double kingbed rooms (great for your family of five), an extensive breakfast buffet, 24 hr. coffee and tea, a pool, shuttle service within Carlsbad, a warm friendly staff, and even 'cookie hour' in the evenings- complimentary cookies and milk served from 8 to 9 p.m. See their website at westinnandsuites dot com.

Have a great time on the west coast!

Hi there

Wow this information is fantastic! Thankyou soooo much!!!

We keep chopping and changing our mind and I said to my hubby if we hire a car we might as well stay in San Diego. I have been to SD before and absoultely love it!!! I had been on to several hotel sites but wasn't sure which hotel to stay at. A recommendation especially for a hotel that caters for a larger family really helps, so thankyou :).

I'll keep you posted with what we decide.

We need three beds when we travel and I have taken to booking Quality Inn or Quality Suites or Comfort Inn or Comfort Suites (all at choicehotels dot com). For around $100 US in most places we get three beds and free breakfast and free internet. They are not fancy but we have always been happy with them. Most have a pool, important to us, so I aways check.

There is a Quality Inn Airport/Seaworld on Nimitz that would put you close to Seaworld and close enough to the zoo. There is a Comfort Suites Mission Valley on Camino Del Rio that would work location wise as well. There is another Comfort Suites on Hotel Circle that would work too. Also, Comfort Inn Old Town. Check reviews on Trip Advisor to make sure they are good.

Residence Inn is a step up and has free breakfast too. There is one on hotel circle.

We also like Embassy Suites but they can be pricey. There is one downtown.

Check for parking prices too. Some hotels it will be free and others can be expensive.

Jen in SoCal

Hi there

Wow this information is fantastic! Thankyou soooo much!!!

We keep chopping and changing our mind and I said to my hubby if we hire a car we might as well stay in San Diego. I have been to SD before and absoultely love it!!! I had been on to several hotel sites but wasn't sure which hotel to stay at. A recommendation especially for a hotel that caters for a larger family really helps, so thankyou :).

I'll keep you posted with what we decide.

I have stayed at my fair share of Vegas hotels so I will chime in on those.

In Vegas if you go on a week day you can get a room dirt cheap. With kids we like the Excalibur because there is a small water slide at the pool and the theme appeals to the kids. The show at the hotel, Tournament of Kings, is a favorite for them. There is a fun restaurant called Dick's Last Resort that has entertainment and is really silly and fun. If they won't book 5 in the room, two rooms would only be about $40 each on a weekday.

Another option is Circus Circus. If you stay in the remodeled rooms they are just like any other hotel room. Again you may need two rooms but very cheap on weekdays and lots for kids to do. The pool is basically a hole in the ground so we don't stay in the hot months. If we go in winter and will not be using the pool we sometimes stay there, but we mainly stay at Excalibur.

We have been considering staying at the Flamingo because I have heard they have a bigger water slide but it is more expensive.

The nice thing about Excalibur and Circus Circus is that both have more reasonably priced (for Vegas) food in the hotel.

There is also a Fairfield Inn and Suites and a Residence Inn on the south end near the strip that will allow 5 in a room. We stayed at a Residence Inn last time in LV. I prefer staying at one of the big hotels on the strip though and probably won't do that again.

Reserve a room now and watch to see if the rates come down. You can sign up for emails at the hotel websites that will send you specials as they come up.

There is tons to do with kids in Vegas, you will not need to resort to shopping unless you want too! Many ideas have been posted and I will add a couple, there is a chocolate factory Ethel M off the strip, several good museums off the stirp, kids loved Wax Museum at Venetian. The younger one begged to go on the gondola's at the Venetian last trip. I said OK but they were sold out already. I will not take the kids to the Sirens at TI show again, too risque (4 boys in our traveling group aged 6 to 14).

I must put in a plug for KA (at MGM). It is an amazing show and is now my favorite show in Vegas. The kids were entranced by it too!

Also, you are so close to the Grand Canyon I would say go do that, even for 1 day. I saw you planned 7 nights in Anaheim. You don't need that long, take a day and see the Grand Canyon, amazing! There are day tours from Vegas by bus or if you have a car drive there after Vegas on your way back to CA and spend the night.

Jen in SoCal

I have stayed at my fair share of Vegas hotels so I will chime in on those.

In Vegas if you go on a week day you can get a room dirt cheap. With kids we like the Excalibur because there is a small water slide at the pool and the theme appeals to the kids. The show at the hotel, Tournament of Kings, is a favorite for them. There is a fun restaurant called Dick's Last Resort that has entertainment and is really silly and fun. If they won't book 5 in the room, two rooms would only be about $40 each on a weekday.

Another option is Circus Circus. If you stay in the remodeled rooms they are just like any other hotel room. Again you may need two rooms but very cheap on weekdays and lots for kids to do. The pool is basically a hole in the ground so we don't stay in the hot months. If we go in winter and will not be using the pool we sometimes stay there, but we mainly stay at Excalibur.

We have been considering staying at the Flamingo because I have heard they have a bigger water slide but it is more expensive.

The nice thing about Excalibur and Circus Circus is that both have more reasonably priced (for Vegas) food in the hotel.

There is also a Fairfield Inn and Suites and a Residence Inn on the south end near the strip that will allow 5 in a room. We stayed at a Residence Inn last time in LV. I prefer staying at one of the big hotels on the strip though and probably won't do that again.

Reserve a room now and watch to see if the rates come down. You can sign up for emails at the hotel websites that will send you specials as they come up.

There is tons to do with kids in Vegas, you will not need to resort to shopping unless you want too! Many ideas have been posted and I will add a couple, there is a chocolate factory Ethel M off the strip, several good museums off the stirp, kids loved Wax Museum at Venetian. The younger one begged to go on the gondola's at the Venetian last trip. I said OK but they were sold out already. I will not take the kids to the Sirens at TI show again, too risque (4 boys in our traveling group aged 6 to 14).

I must put in a plug for KA (at MGM). It is an amazing show and is now my favorite show in Vegas. The kids were entranced by it too!

Also, you are so close to the Grand Canyon I would say go do that, even for 1 day. I saw you planned 7 nights in Anaheim. You don't need that long, take a day and see the Grand Canyon, amazing! There are day tours from Vegas by bus or if you have a car drive there after Vegas on your way back to CA and spend the night.

Jen in SoCal

Hi Jen

Thanks for the info on Vegas. Funnily enough I had narrowed my hotel choices to the same two as you have suggested. I had previously emailed Excalibur and they only have 4 per room but at $40 per room per night i'm more than happy to book 2 rooms as the price is so reasonable.

I appreciate the infor about stuff for the kids to do too. They will be happy to swim all day if they had the chance :).

DH & I have been to the Grand Canyon before but not the kids. We might schedule it in but that'll depend on the car hire situation.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

Well I have just booked my flights to the USA - yay!!!

I now need a little help finalising a hotel for Los Angeles / Long Beach. We are booked to go on the Mariner of the Seas on October 31 and need a hotel to stay at prior to the cruise. We were meant to be booked on Queen Mary however it is booked out so now looking for a place to stay.

We will drive up for Anaheim the morning of 30th October. Drop bags at hotel ??? . Return hire car & spend the day at Universal. So I guess I need something that is close to both Universal and the cruise terminal??? Hope you can offer advice (The sportsmans lodge has been suggested for Universal but is this close to port as well?).

Thanks in advance.

Where do you need to drop the car? Do you have options? Can you just keep another day?

Nothing is near the port and Universal, they are very far apart. Somewhere between 1 to 1.5 hours depending on traffic.

Timewise it will be better to drive from DL to the next hotel, drop bags and get to Universal. If you must return the car first, do so close to Universal. The schedule is showing Universal open 10 to 6 Oct. 30. If you plan to do everything there, you will need the full time in the park. There are several shows that you need to watch timing on, rides can have long lines, don't miss the back lot tour.

Can you just keep your car and return it the morning of the cruise at a location near the port? I think you will spend more money in shuttles than the car will cost for an extra day, not to mention the time you will save.

I found it odd the QM would be booked so far in advance so I checked and it is available. If you want to stay there maybe keep the bags in the trunk, drive straight to Universal, spend the day at Universal. After Universal, drive to hotel drop bags and then go return the car. You could tour the QM the next morning before heading over to the port via shuttle. If you are not comfortable with that, drive to QM, check in and drop bags and head to Universal. This will probably add another hour on to your driving that morning.

If you can keep the car until the next day you could drop bags at the port and return the car to the closest location.

One more idea and the one I would probably do, stay another night in the DL area and don't waste time moving hotels. Traffic on a Saturday morning from Anaheim to Universal should not be bad (no promises :)) and you should make it in about 45 minutes. After the park closes have dinner at City Walk and take in the scene. Drive back to your DL area hotel. In the AM return car near port or where ever you need to and head to cruise. Again, traffic on a Sunday should not be bad. If you want to tour the QM plan to be there when they open and return car when done.

Another variation on this is stay another night in the DL area, if you need to return your car the 30th is return it in the Anaheim area and take the Universal package that includes bus transport to/from the DL area and Universal. You can get a shuttle in the morning to take you to the cruise.

The goal will be to be at Universal prior opening, 9 am would be best if possible to park, walk to park, buy tickets, clear security and be ready when the park opens. Consult showtimes and plan your day. Do everything in the lower lot at the same time. It takes a long time to get down there and back up. Don't miss the backlot tour, near Simpsons ride.

Jen in SoCal

Hi guys

Well I have just booked my flights to the USA - yay!!!

I now need a little help finalising a hotel for Los Angeles / Long Beach. We are booked to go on the Mariner of the Seas on October 31 and need a hotel to stay at prior to the cruise. We were meant to be booked on Queen Mary however it is booked out so now looking for a place to stay.

We will drive up for Anaheim the morning of 30th October. Drop bags at hotel ??? . Return hire car & spend the day at Universal. So I guess I need something that is close to both Universal and the cruise terminal??? Hope you can offer advice (The sportsmans lodge has been suggested for Universal but is this close to port as well?).

Thanks in advance.

Brossy,

You can find my e-mail address in my profile. If you send me a note, I can get you some discount tickets for several attractions in the San Diego area.

Jon

Hi Jon

You have mail :).

Hi Jen

Here is the car rental info :

Car rentalFull Inc+GPS Full Size 4D|FCAR for 10 days

Vehicle to be picked up at 11:00 on 20 OCT in LAS VEGAS

Vehicle to be returned at 11:00 on 30 OCT in LONG BEACHProvided byALAMO - USA

USATEL: 0011 1 561 893 7801Pick up fromALAMO - LAS VEGAS (LAS)

7135 Gillespie Street

Las Vegas, NV 89119TEL: 702 263 8411Drop off atALAMO - LONG BEACH AIRPORT (LGB)

4100 DONALD DOUGLAS DRIVE

LONG BEACH, CA 90808TEL: 562 421 8877

Where do you need to drop the car? Do you have options? Can you just keep another day?

Nothing is near the port and Universal, they are very far apart. Somewhere between 1 to 1.5 hours depending on traffic.

Timewise it will be better to drive from DL to the next hotel, drop bags and get to Universal. If you must return the car first, do so close to Universal. The schedule is showing Universal open 10 to 6 Oct. 30. If you plan to do everything there, you will need the full time in the park. There are several shows that you need to watch timing on, rides can have long lines, don't miss the back lot tour.

Can you just keep your car and return it the morning of the cruise at a location near the port? I think you will spend more money in shuttles than the car will cost for an extra day, not to mention the time you will save.

I found it odd the QM would be booked so far in advance so I checked and it is available. If you want to stay there maybe keep the bags in the trunk, drive straight to Universal, spend the day at Universal. After Universal, drive to hotel drop bags and then go return the car. You could tour the QM the next morning before heading over to the port via shuttle. If you are not comfortable with that, drive to QM, check in and drop bags and head to Universal. This will probably add another hour on to your driving that morning.

If you can keep the car until the next day you could drop bags at the port and return the car to the closest location.

One more idea and the one I would probably do, stay another night in the DL area and don't waste time moving hotels. Traffic on a Saturday morning from Anaheim to Universal should not be bad (no promises :)) and you should make it in about 45 minutes. After the park closes have dinner at City Walk and take in the scene. Drive back to your DL area hotel. In the AM return car near port or where ever you need to and head to cruise. Again, traffic on a Sunday should not be bad. If you want to tour the QM plan to be there when they open and return car when done.

Another variation on this is stay another night in the DL area, if you need to return your car the 30th is return it in the Anaheim area and take the Universal package that includes bus transport to/from the DL area and Universal. You can get a shuttle in the morning to take you to the cruise.

The goal will be to be at Universal prior opening, 9 am would be best if possible to park, walk to park, buy tickets, clear security and be ready when the park opens. Consult showtimes and plan your day. Do everything in the lower lot at the same time. It takes a long time to get down there and back up. Don't miss the backlot tour, near Simpsons ride.

Jen in SoCal

Here's some info from the California visitors website about children's car seats:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/seatbelts.htm#childsafetyseats

CHILD RESTRAINT SYSTEM AND SAFETY SEATS

Any child under the age of six years and weighing less than 60 lbs., must be secured in a federally-approved child passenger restraint system and ride in the back seat of a vehicle.

Proper child passenger restraint system installation can be checked by contacting local law enforcement agencies or fire departments, who may provide this service or refer you to a Child Passenger Safety (CPS) Technician in your area. As your child grows, check with these agencies to confirm that the car seat is the correct size for your child.

A child may not ride in the front seat of an airbag-equipped vehicle if the child:

• Is under one year of age.
  • Weighs less than 20 lbs.
  • Is riding in a rear-facing child passenger restraint system.

Children ages six years and older, but less than 16 years, and children under age six years, who weigh more than 60 lbs., must be properly secured in an appropriate child passenger restraint system or safety belt which meets federal safety standards.

more info:

http://www.ots.ca.gov/Child_Passenger_Safety.asp

Basically, your five year old will need to be in a child's car seat. If he or she weighs over 60 pounds and is pretty tall, perhaps a booster seat, but I would do a search on that to make sure, if I were you.

If your older children are over 60, they can be in a booster seat, which can be secured with the regular seat belt/shoulder harness. You can check with the rental company to see if they'll rent booster seats. I imagine all car rental agencies rent car seats. It could be possible your 9-yr old can just use the seat belt without a booster if he/she is tall enough. I know a lot of parents who just let their oldest do so, but there are specific laws about this (I waited until my daughter's pediatrician said she could go without her booster, but then my girl was on the small side).

For sure, all the kids need to be in the back as there will be an air bag system in the front.

I was going to suggest going with a smaller car (would save on the rental plus save on gas), but maybe with 5 people plus luggage, that would be hard.

OK. I think you should just keep the car until the 31st. You will be wasting time to return it on the 30th in Long Beach plus there is the added cost of the shuttle to get you from the Long Beach airport to the Universal area. You are going the wrong direction from Anaheim if you go to Long Beach first. You are really going out of the way if you go drop bags at a hotel near Universal and then back to Long Beach and then back to Universal.

If you really want to return the car on the 30th, stay near Disney and change your reservation to return it to the Downtown Disney location of Alamo. Do as I mentioned in my previous post regarding taking the shuttle you can get with your Universal ticket.

Jen in SoCal

Hi Jen

Here is the car rental info :

Car rentalFull Inc+GPS Full Size 4D|FCAR for 10 days

Vehicle to be picked up at 11:00 on 20 OCT in LAS VEGAS

Vehicle to be returned at 11:00 on 30 OCT in LONG BEACHProvided byALAMO - USA

USATEL: 0011 1 561 893 7801Pick up fromALAMO - LAS VEGAS (LAS)

7135 Gillespie Street

Las Vegas, NV 89119TEL: 702 263 8411Drop off atALAMO - LONG BEACH AIRPORT (LGB)

4100 DONALD DOUGLAS DRIVE

LONG BEACH, CA 90808TEL: 562 421 8877

I think we'll take you advice. Given that we have 5 nights booked in Anaheim we can drive up to Universal Studios and return to Anaheim which I think would work okay. That would then leave us a free day in Long Beach the day before the cruise.

Are there any shopping malls, factory outlets etc in Long Beach that we could visit?

My travel agent has just recommended booking 2 rooms at the Hyatt Long Beach as the Queen Mary family rooms have already sold out. Is this an okay place to stay?

OK. I think you should just keep the car until the 31st. You will be wasting time to return it on the 30th in Long Beach plus there is the added cost of the shuttle to get you from the Long Beach airport to the Universal area. You are going the wrong direction from Anaheim if you go to Long Beach first. You are really going out of the way if you go drop bags at a hotel near Universal and then back to Long Beach and then back to Universal.

If you really want to return the car on the 30th, stay near Disney and change your reservation to return it to the Downtown Disney location of Alamo. Do as I mentioned in my previous post regarding taking the shuttle you can get with your Universal ticket.

Jen in SoCal

One thing about my advice is that you will ONLY have a quick drive to Universal from DL on Saturday. On a weekday there will be traffic. Traffic patterns are very different on weekdays than they are on the weekends. So if you go to Universal on a weekday from DL just be prepared for our famous traffic!

If you do Universal from DL, after visiting Universal eat dinner and hang out at the City Walk and you should have less traffic the later it gets.

The outlet mall is actually on the way to/from Universal. It is called the Citadel.

Hyatt should be fine. However, if you want to stay at the Queen Mary check the Queen Mary web site because it shows they have rooms available. I am not sure why your TA is telling you they are not. Two rooms at the QM are about the same price as two rooms at the Hyatt (each are about $200 per night per room). The QM also has something called a Royalty Suite that sleeps 5 for $349.

Jen in SoCal

I think we'll take you advice. Given that we have 5 nights booked in Anaheim we can drive up to Universal Studios and return to Anaheim which I think would work okay. That would then leave us a free day in Long Beach the day before the cruise.

Are there any shopping malls, factory outlets etc in Long Beach that we could visit?

My travel agent has just recommended booking 2 rooms at the Hyatt Long Beach as the Queen Mary family rooms have already sold out. Is this an okay place to stay?

Good news is The Citadel is right along I-5. Bad news is I-5 is the worst route between Anaheim and Universal. Also, Citadel is sort of second-rate as outlet malls go. You may do just as good at regular malls with discount and "big box" stores. Two that are close to DL are The Block of Orange (3 miles) and a pair of malls called Tustin Marketplace and Irvine Marketplace (10 miles south on I-5).

Recommended route from Anaheim to Universal (look on Google maps to get the idea): Hwy 57 north to the end. I-210 West to Pasadena. Continue west on Hwy 134 to Universal. There are HOV lanes almost all the way. I-5 towards LA is the oldest freeway in LA with no upgrades since it was built in the 1950's. Only 3 lanes each way that you will share with large trucks, and no HOV lanes. There's a big construction project to improve the highway which adds to the misery in the meantime.

I was at the Citadel last summer with out of town guests and found it to be quite nice.

Tustin and Irvine Marketplace are outdoor shopping areas with a variety of stores but very spread out and not organized nicely to walk around. The Block does have outlet type stores as well. For a regular mall near DL you could go to Santa Ana Main Place. I am not aware of a mall in Long Beach, but that does not mean it is not there.

Jen in SoCal

Good news is The Citadel is right along I-5. Bad news is I-5 is the worst route between Anaheim and Universal. Also, Citadel is sort of second-rate as outlet malls go. You may do just as good at regular malls with discount and "big box" stores. Two that are close to DL are The Block of Orange (3 miles) and a pair of malls called Tustin Marketplace and Irvine Marketplace (10 miles south on I-5).

Recommended route from Anaheim to Universal (look on Google maps to get the idea): Hwy 57 north to the end. I-210 West to Pasadena. Continue west on Hwy 134 to Universal. There are HOV lanes almost all the way. I-5 towards LA is the oldest freeway in LA with no upgrades since it was built in the 1950's. Only 3 lanes each way that you will share with large trucks, and no HOV lanes. There's a big construction project to improve the highway which adds to the misery in the meantime.

Hi kenish

Sorry to sound naive but what is a "HOV" lane?

Which weekday would be best to go to Universal? We are staying in Anaheim Monday - Friday. Long Beach - Saturday as the cruise is on Sunday.

I think we'll go to the factory outlets near Las Vegas as we have two ful days in Vegas. Is there any outlets closer to Anaheim than the one that was mentioned?

HOV= "High Occupancy Vehicle". Two or more must be in the vehicle. By the way many entrance ramps to freeways also have a HOV lane. There's a traffic light at the top of the ramp that monitors traffic on the freeway and meters traffic entering the freeway. Sometimes lines can get very long on the ramp but the HOV lane is not metered. If you have 2+ in your car it will save you time; or if a solo occupant you don't want to risk a ticket being in the wrong lane.

The standard symbol for HOV is a white diamond painted on the pavement and on signs.

On the freeway, the HOV lane is segregated from main traffic by two pairs of yellow lines which must never be crossed in either direction (treat them as a raised concrete barrier). You can enter or exit across dashed white lines....the areas are well marked by overhead signs as well so you can see them coming. In the lane, a sign well before an upcoming HOV exit will list the highway exit ramps it feeds. However some of the HOV exits do not leave much distance to the exit you need....giving sometimes as little as 500m to cross 4-5 lanes of traffic. If you have a GPS I would exit as soon as you know you're within 3 miles of your highway exit.

Pretty simple, just follow the lead of other drivers. One tip, if the main traffic is flowing nicely don't use the HOV. There's really no advantage and you will have to be prepared to exceed the speed limit or others behind you will become annoyed. I guess their notiion is that the HOV lane should always be faster than the regular lanes!

Saturday would be the best day to drive across LA to Universal....Friday generally has the worst afternoon rush hour. I'd leave Anaheim around 800 or 830; you may encounter a little traffic. Stay up in that area until 630pm or later and there will be no traffic going back (if there are no accidents or construction)

No pure outlet malls closer to Anaheim than the Citadel. If you're going to LV the ones there are excellent and I'd just do that. (If you're driving there are good outlet malls in Barstow (about 150km from Anaheim) and just over the Nevada state line in Primm, about 70km before you reach LV.

A thought about Universal or any theme parks for October. Many of them will have a special Halloween theme to draw in the kids and teens. So if you can avoid going on a weekend day, it may be best. But as noted above, Friday afternoon traffic is the worst. So if you go on a Friday to Universal, don't leave before 7 or 8pm if possible.

Archived