Travelling to USA in 2010 and would love some help.

Brossy

OP- Sorry I didn't reply about the car seat laws, but I see someone else provided the info which is great. Ironically I was in LV this last weekend. I had not been there in 2 years and everyone in our group noticed crowds and traffic were much lighter than what we would have expected. Two comments- I saw a post mentioning Red Rock Canyon. It's a great place for your family but temps will be 30-50c in the summer. Also your kids will like "Fremont Street Experience"...one of the old downtown streets has a 2-block long canopy that's a giant video screen. There's an hourly show your kids will like. A number of old historic neon signs restored are on display along Fremont as well.

Hi Kenish

I tried to google the Fremont Street Experience but not sure what to look for???? You have got me curious ;).

I did order a Las Vegas guide so it might provide more info.

Thanks for the info :).

Strange, I got a lot of google results by entering "Fremont Street Experience" :

http://www.vegasexperience.com/ (requires a broadband connection)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremont_Street_Experience (General info)

There are also a lot of youtube videos of the show.

Hi Kenish

Thanks for the link. The links I got when I googled were connected to hotels etc in that area :confused: I didn't see the one titled like the link you posted. Thanks again :).

In anaheim, Howard Johnson on Harbor has a suite that could sleep 5. I've stayed in it once, it has a small kitchenette, 2 bathrooms and quite a bit of space. I believe there are 2 suites on the property - one is a tad smaller. The one I'm talking about has a separate bedroom with 2 queen beds, and a sleeper sofa in the living area. It is in the building in the back of the property by the pool.

Across the street from disneyland, a bit of a walk (10 minute brisk walk, longer with small children). There is a bus that stops by 2 other hotels doing the disneyland pick up/drop off loop about every half hour. It costs a few dollars per person / day for the bus pass. Mimi's restaurant is next door, this is my top choice for off -property restaurants when I visit disneyland.

Service is good at the hotel, prices reasonable & the place is clean - nothing fancy but a decent place to stay. The suites tend to book up early but you are planning far in advance so I'm sure you'd have no trouble booking it if you were interested. I always book directly with the sales manager Willy, he is so helpful and pleasant to deal with - email is william.simpson@hojoanaheim.com

In anaheim, Howard Johnson on Harbor has a suite that could sleep 5. I've stayed in it once, it has a small kitchenette, 2 bathrooms and quite a bit of space. I believe there are 2 suites on the property - one is a tad smaller. The one I'm talking about has a separate bedroom with 2 queen beds, and a sleeper sofa in the living area. It is in the building in the back of the property by the pool.

Across the street from disneyland, a bit of a walk (10 minute brisk walk, longer with small children). There is a bus that stops by 2 other hotels doing the disneyland pick up/drop off loop about every half hour. It costs a few dollars per person / day for the bus pass. Mimi's restaurant is next door, this is my top choice for off -property restaurants when I visit disneyland.

Service is good at the hotel, prices reasonable & the place is clean - nothing fancy but a decent place to stay. The suites tend to book up early but you are planning far in advance so I'm sure you'd have no trouble booking it if you were interested. I always book directly with the sales manager Willy, he is so helpful and pleasant to deal with - email is william.simpson@hojoanaheim.com

Hi tink360

Thankyou for the information on the Howard Johnson. I'll definately take a look at this hotel on the web :).

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Brossy, from one Aussie to another I have to tell you about this great car rental deal I got yesterday, We're going an Alaskan cruise and doing quite an extensive land trip after. We end up with 4 days in San Francisco before we fly back to Sydney.

I really wanted to hire a convertible and drive down the coast to Monterey (2and1/2 hr) stay overnight and drive back. Hubby wasn't keen to drive in the US either and I said I'll drive. Then he said it'll cost an arm and a leg but I got a chrysler sebring convertible for $AU81 / day. I found this company called Car Rental 8 that operates as a broker. Their offers are only available to non-residents of Canada and USA (like us). The $81 included all the insurance - Paid another $9 for a GPS.

If you are at all considering renting a car you should look at them.

convertible.jpg.83026252bc8664d0546f2c3c32f821a6.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hi guys!

Well it's now 2010 and my trip to the USA is getting closer...yippee!!!

Anyway i'm am nearly ready to book flights, accomodation etc but needed a little more info pretty please :).

My DH is now considering hiring a car so I have a few questions about carparking. Is there free carparking at Legoland, Sea World and San Diego Zoo?

Can you hire a car one way? We are thinking of flying into LAX then to Las Vegas but hiring a car and driving from Vegas to San Diego to Anaheim. Is this okay?

I'm sure i'll have thousands more questions but i'll post as I think of them.

thanks guys :)

Hi guys!

Anyway i'm am nearly ready to book flights, accomodation etc but needed a little more info pretty please .

My DH is now considering hiring a car so I have a few questions about carparking. Is there free carparking at Legoland, Sea World and San Diego Zoo?

Can you hire a car one way? We are thinking of flying into LAX then to Las Vegas but hiring a car and driving from Vegas to San Diego to Anaheim. Is this okay?

thanks guys

As I see it you will be- Flying to LAX; Flying to Vegas; renting a car in Vegas and returning it somewhere in the LA area? The rental fees will be very high on a one-way rental.

Could you-----rent a car in LA and just drive?

Or could you ------Rent a car in Vegas just for Vegas. Fly back from Vegas and rent a car in LA. The drive to San Diego from LA is alot better than the one down the 15.

Also the 15 freeway is a two lane desert road. Suprisingly desolate. Watch out for the Cajon Pass, very steep. Keep your eye out for the San Andreas Fault.

http://www.aaroads.com/california/i-015ng_ca.html

Be careful driving the desert roads- no street lights and services are few and far between.

If you want to do your original itin. Driving from Vegas to San Diego. I would recommend returning the car on the first day and getting a San Diego only rental. Do the same thing going back to LA. This is because the 'different place return fee' is tacked onto each day. Voice of experience. Your mileage may vary. More of a hassle, but it will be a money saver.

Returning the car to the same place will make all the difference in the price.

I would expect any place that charges admission will also charge to park, especially in southern california. I am sure you will be able to rent a car and drop off in a different location, but look into the price. I believe it is expensive. http://www.independenttraveler.com/resources/article.cfm?AID=26&category=2 It's possible to find free parking at hotels, the more expensive places likely will charge. Off the top of my head, I know Howard Johnson & Candy Cane Inn have free parking.

Hi guys!

Anyway i'm am nearly ready to book flights, accomodation etc but needed a little more info pretty please :).

thanks guys :)

Parking your car will cost money at all the amusement parks and the zoo.

You can hire a car one way but there are usually drop fees, especially between states. The drop fees may really vary so investigate.

Airfare is sometimes quite cheap between CA and Las Vegas so you may want to fly round trip to Vegas, it may be cheaper even for 5, than the drop fees and car rental price. Vegas is very easy to get around without a car. There are tons of cabs, you can walk, there is a monrail, shuttles and buses.

If you rent a car be sure to check what the hotels you plan to stay at charge for parking. Some are free (Vegas, all should be free) and some may charge $20 or more a night.

Jen in SoCal

Oh wow! Thanks guys for the quick reply :). We were thinking that hiring a car might be a cheaper alternative but it doesn't look that way huh.

I'll have a chat with DH and see what he thinks.

Thanks again. I'll be back with more questions soon :D.

Priced this on a travel web site, This was the cheapest I found. Did an approximation of your dates and itin. I am sure you can do better than $100/day

Mini Van

ZEUSMVAR999_120x83.jpg

Toyota Sienna or similar

with automatic transmission, air conditioning

Capacity: new_pax.gif 7 passengers, new_bag.gif 6 bags

Pick-up Mon, Sep 13, 10:00am

Location Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS)

Airport Common Shuttle To Rental Facility On Airport.

Drop-off Fri, Sep 24, 10:00am

Location Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)

Rate Options

Rules & Information

Map & Directions

About Hertz

#car #rate-content #tally {width:500px;} div.car-legend { float:right; margin:15px 0 0; text-align:left; } #car #rate-content #tally td.fee-VIP { color:#E6700C; } #car #rate-content #tally td.price-VIP { color:#E6700C; text-align:right; }Review the Total

Weekly rate1 week(s) @ $699.99$699.99 4 extra day(s) @ $116.67$466.68

Subtotal$1,166.67 Taxes and Fees question.gif $436.11 Drop Charge$0.00

Total due at rental counter:$1,602.78

LAX Round Trip

Review the Total

Weekly rate1 week(s) @ $532.49$532.49 4 extra day(s) @ $76.07$304.28

Subtotal$836.77 Taxes and Fees question.gif $226.57

Total due at rental counter:$1,063.34

icon-vip.gif VIP Offer

icon_greenCars.gif Eco-friendly models available

Recalculate Upgraded? Calculate the new total.

ZEUSMVAR999_120x83.jpg Mini Van with automatic transmission,

air conditioning

Toyota Sienna or similar

Oh wow you guys are great :). I really appreciate the research you are doing for me...thanks heaps.

As for the hire car - ouch. It's a lot more expensive than I thought.

Thanks for the link for the airline. I'll keep checking the dates. What do i do if I can't print passes or check-in? I could try and do it from Australia before I leave but not sure ? Do I have to check in 24 hours before? Sorry, i'm not familiar with the US travel system. The bag check-in shouldn't be a problem as there are 5 of us & we are used to travelling with a minimum amount of luggage (usually only 2-3 bags between us).

I did a pretty similar thing, different itinerary, but rented the car with pick-up at Vegas and drop-off at LA. Didn't use it for zoo/park visits though for the most part, just to get somewhere nearby.

So you can certainly do it, though one way fees do exist and may be significant. I looked around for a fair bit before getting a deal with a coupon so no longer exists. It really depends when and where as to how much as deals and coupons vary depending on all the differences. One other thing to keep in mind is car insurance though as it is comletely different to here. Unless you want to take the risk yourself, you will be limited in choices, or will need to pay a hefty daily surcharge for their coverage.

One other thing, the drive from Vegas to SD is decent, I took it from the Grand Canyon which is further in a day, but it was a long one so good to be prepared, or grab a GPS over there.

What do i do if I can't print passes or check-in? I could try and do it from Australia before I leave but not sure ? Do I have to check in 24 hours before?

Southwest have their own approach where seating is a free-for all based on online check-in, which opens up 24 hours before. Thus, you don't have to, but if you only do it at the airport, you will be last to board so the last seats will likely be split up and down the back in middle seats. For a one hour flight though, it's not a big deal though (I tend to have that luck for much longer flights!)

Oh wow you guys are great :). I really appreciate the research you are doing for me...thanks heaps.

As for the hire car - ouch. It's a lot more expensive than I thought.

Thanks for the link for the airline. I'll keep checking the dates. What do i do if I can't print passes or check-in? I could try and do it from Australia before I leave but not sure ? Do I have to check in 24 hours before? Sorry, i'm not familiar with the US travel system. The bag check-in shouldn't be a problem as there are 5 of us & we are used to travelling with a minimum amount of luggage (usually only 2-3 bags between us).

Rose, we are flying Southwest from John Wayne Airport (OC - closer to Anaheim than LAX) to Las Vegas and got quite good rates. $139.20 US return each which includes all taxes etc. I had to wait until 3 months out before I could book. Be patient :)

LAX Round Trip

Review the Total

Weekly rate1 week(s) @ $532.49$532.49 4 extra day(s) @ $76.07$304.28

Subtotal$836.77 Taxes and Fees question.gif $226.57

Total due at rental counter:$1,063.34

icon-vip.gif VIP Offer

icon_greenCars.gif Eco-friendly models available

Recalculate Upgraded? Calculate the new total.

ZEUSMVAR999_120x83.jpg Mini Van with automatic transmission,

air conditioning

Toyota Sienna or similar

With car rentals in the US you have to really shop the prices. They really vary a lot and you need to watch for specials and coupons. Sign up with the car rental companies to get their weekly email with deals. You can reserve in advance and cancel when you find a better rate. Sometimes the best rates come pretty close to travel dates.

Jen in SoCal

Rose, Welcome to the USA. Your kids will have a great time and so will you seeing things from their eyes. I have traveled with my 2 girls and every age (and now with their children) and found that they adjusted very well.

Just a couple of things to keep in mind. US is very strict about children's car seats. All children under age 8 and 80 pounds must be in a car seat at all times -- rental cars too. Rental agencies have car seats for rent but let me warn you that most cars will not take 2 carseats and a booster seat (6-8 yo)

5 people have luggage and the baggage rates just went up again. Be sure to factor in the cost of bags when you think of flying from one US city to another. Southwest airlines is one of our cheaper airlines and they do NOT have bag fees at this time. Check Southwest Airlines for information. There are LOTS of airports in Southern California so make sure that you know which airport you want so you don't come in one and need to go out of another 30 miles away. I once did the Sydney to LA flight into LAX. Just a warning that you come in international terminal and would go out to Vegas from another terminal. At the end of the flight from Ozland (19 hours for us) it was just about unbearable to deal with finding the next flight in America. Maybe stay a while in LA then go to Vegas.

Enjoy and have a great trip. Traveling with children is the best memories we have and now those children think it quite normal to go camping with an 18 month old or on a cruise with a 6 month old. Once this trip is over you know you can do anything!!!

Rose, Welcome to the USA. Your kids will have a great time and so will you seeing things from their eyes. I have traveled with my 2 girls and every age (and now with their children) and found that they adjusted very well.

Just a couple of things to keep in mind. US is very strict about children's car seats. All children under age 8 and 80 pounds must be in a car seat at all times -- rental cars too. Rental agencies have car seats for rent but let me warn you that most cars will not take 2 carseats and a booster seat (6-8 yo)

5 people have luggage and the baggage rates just went up again. Be sure to factor in the cost of bags when you think of flying from one US city to another. Southwest airlines is one of our cheaper airlines and they do NOT have bag fees at this time. Check Southwest Airlines for information. There are LOTS of airports in Southern California so make sure that you know which airport you want so you don't come in one and need to go out of another 30 miles away. I once did the Sydney to LA flight into LAX. Just a warning that you come in international terminal and would go out to Vegas from another terminal. At the end of the flight from Ozland (19 hours for us) it was just about unbearable to deal with finding the next flight in America. Maybe stay a while in LA then go to Vegas.

Enjoy and have a great trip. Traveling with children is the best memories we have and now those children think it quite normal to go camping with an 18 month old or on a cruise with a 6 month old. Once this trip is over you know you can do anything!!!

Hi Barbara

Thanks for the heads up about the booster seats. Can you please explain in more detail what type of booster seats they require? Our rules down under are changing to a similar system but at this stage, 4 and under have to have a harnessed type booster seat. Over 4 they can have a half seat booster and use the existing seat belt. Is this the same?

Thanks

Rose' date=' we are flying Southwest from John Wayne Airport (OC - closer to Anaheim than LAX) to Las Vegas and got quite good rates. $139.20 US return each which includes all taxes etc. I had to wait until 3 months out before I could book. Be patient :)[/quote']

Hi Eileen

Gee there flights are dearer than ours huh :) . I can fly return to Brisvegas for under $100 AUD ;).

I guess i'll check as it gets closer, thanks for the information :).

Archived