Travelling to USA in 2010 and would love some help.

Brossy

Having a satnav would help with that, but bump up the price about $110-$170 US for 11 days driving.

You can probably buy one either in a big store like Frye's, Walmart, or on ebay for under $100. Having a GPS with you will really make it easy as you'll be able to drive straight to any attraction without worrying about getting lost.

Getting a car in Vegas and then driving first to San Diego before heading north to Anaheim sounds good.

If you do have any thrill seekers in the bunch, the San Diego Wild Animal Park installed a new zip line that crosses the major animal enclosures at speeds up to 70 mph!

Things to do in San Diego -

1) downtown - seaport village, midway aircraft carrier museum, gas lamp district

2) zoo / balboa park - additional museums if you have an interest

3) pacific beach / mission beach - stroll the boardwalk, visit the seaside amusement park, bike ride around the bay, visit sea world

4) Coronado - hotel Del and our biggest beach (water never all that warm here)

5) La Jolla - shops, good family beach at La Jolla shores

6) Carlsbad - factory outlet stores, lego land

The above is just a few ideas, if you have any specific interests regarding our area I'm sure someone will get back to you.

We have stayed in Las Vegas with our three kids many times. Not all hotels are as kid-friendly -- some charge more for the room per person, including children while at others, kids are free. Our kids have enjoyed staying at the Excalibur and Luxor, which have nice pool areas and also great game arcades for the kids. MGM Grand also is great for kids. Fitting five people in a room is also not possible in some of the hotels. Others will allow a rollaway. The kids will enjoy seeing the volcano at the Mirage Hotel, pirate show at Treasure Island, tigers at MGM Grand and the sharks at Mandalay Bay. The outlet malls just past the airport are also great shopping. If you want to go out of Las Vegas, you can also visit Hoover Dam and Red Rock Canyon. Just some ideas on things to do with kids. There's plenty to amuse kids in Las Vegas.

Hi travelermom

Do you know the names of the hotels that might allow 5 in the room?

Thanks

Well DH just returned from playing golf with a mate who has just returned from the USA with his 2 kids. He said he drove all around....DH might be a little more convinced ;).

I love the idea of buying a satnav from a store (ebay probably not great because they would have to send to Australia and I wouldn't want it to get damaged before the trip). Is there a store in Vegas that sells them and what should I expect to pay?

Another question. I have read about the California pass that you can purchase that covers theme parks etc. Is it true that you have to use it at a Disney Park first?

Thanks to everyone that has given suggestions about travel, accomodation etc. It is really helpful and I appreciate you all taking the time to help me :).

P.S. Will probably only do Disney theme parks (& Legoland for the Lego mad 7 year old) as kids are still young and will probably be worn out after those.

Below is a photo of the 3 kids - Olivia, Lachlan & Ryan.

008.jpg.42462f5ddd0b317b8e0db3d991b0644f.jpg

I love the idea of buying a satnav from a store (ebay probably not great because they would have to send to Australia and I wouldn't want it to get damaged before the trip).

Just be aware that maps are specific to the country purchased, so you would need to buy maps (and possibly a charger) if you wanted to use it back here afterwards.

Another question. I have read about the California pass that you can purchase that covers theme parks etc. Is it true that you have to use it at a Disney Park first?

Do you mean this one? http://www.citypass.com/city/socal.html If so, no, you can use the pass in any order, although it has to be done within 14 days of first use.

There are quite a few places that have GPS units. For basic units, Target, Walmart, etc have a limited selection but good prices. Locations are everywhere and it's a good place to pick up groceries, travel supplies, diapers (nappies), etc.

Best Buy and Fry's are electronics megastores...google their websites for locations. Best Buy is more customer friendly than Fry's in my opinion.

If you're a Costco member in Australia, I believe you can shop stores anywhere. However, they only take debit cards, Amex, checks (probably not for an overseas bank), or cash/travelers checks. Costco's online site takes credit cards, you can even order online and have the GPS drop-shipped to a store for pickup. www.costco.com

The three major brands here are Garmin, TomTom, and Magellan. I've listed them in descending order if I were buying one for a car. Be aware in CA that GPS units must sit atop the dashboard, or at the bottom left or right corner of the windshield.

Also, your kids will need to be in car seats; be sure the rental car location has them available. Depending on daily cost it might be cheaper to purchase them from Walmart or Target when you arrive. Relatives did that, the cartons were very sturdy so they re-used the boxes to take the car seats home and used the empty space in the carton for more luggage space. The seats made the airline trip home totally intact.

Hi travelermom

Do you know the names of the hotels that might allow 5 in the room?

Thanks

As we are a family of five, yes, I know some that do allow five. The Excalibur Hotel and Luxor Hotel (next door) both allow five in the room. It's usually 2 beds and they add a rollaway. There might be a rollaway charge of about $20 but they don't charge extra for kids. We like the Luxor and Excalibur the most because of the great, huge children's arcade, good pool areas and also food courts for kid-friendly fast food. The Luxor and Excalibur are connected by monorail and also by indoor escalators. Some hotels do charge extra for more than two in the room even with kids. New-York New York and Monte Carlo do and also Rio Suites. I know the Mirage and Treasure Island don't allow more than four per room (at least they didn't when we were looking)-- they blame fire code. The Venetian used to allow five people - the Bella Suites (two beds and couch) are very roomy, but the Venetian costs more than the other two I mentioned. To help get better rates at any of the hotels, subscribe to their email deals on the hotel's website. Also, summer rates are the cheapest since it's so hot. Winter rates are more and of course, weekends and holidays the highest.

In Anaheim, after the amusement parks think about going down Beach Blvd. (south) and take Pacific Coast Highway (not a freeway). You'll have a great view of the ocean. If you go right, you can go to Huntington Beach and on to Seal Beach, which is a nice walkable town. If you go left, you can drive into Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar, and Laguna Beach, very pretty and interesting.

Just be aware that maps are specific to the country purchased, so you would need to buy maps (and possibly a charger) if you wanted to use it back here afterwards.

Do you mean this one? http://www.citypass.com/city/socal.html If so, no, you can use the pass in any order, although it has to be done within 14 days of first use.

Hi Big M

That is the site I was after...thanks for posting the link (I have now bookmarked it ;)). I don't know what site I was on before but it wasn't that one & I thought it was weird about using the pass at disney first (must have been a Disney site :confused:).

There are quite a few places that have GPS units. For basic units, Target, Walmart, etc have a limited selection but good prices. Locations are everywhere and it's a good place to pick up groceries, travel supplies, diapers (nappies), etc.

Best Buy and Fry's are electronics megastores...google their websites for locations. Best Buy is more customer friendly than Fry's in my opinion.

If you're a Costco member in Australia, I believe you can shop stores anywhere. However, they only take debit cards, Amex, checks (probably not for an overseas bank), or cash/travelers checks. Costco's online site takes credit cards, you can even order online and have the GPS drop-shipped to a store for pickup. www.costco.com

The three major brands here are Garmin, TomTom, and Magellan. I've listed them in descending order if I were buying one for a car. Be aware in CA that GPS units must sit atop the dashboard, or at the bottom left or right corner of the windshield.

Also, your kids will need to be in car seats; be sure the rental car location has them available. Depending on daily cost it might be cheaper to purchase them from Walmart or Target when you arrive. Relatives did that, the cartons were very sturdy so they re-used the boxes to take the car seats home and used the empty space in the carton for more luggage space. The seats made the airline trip home totally intact.

Hi Kenish

Thanks for the info on the GPS...appreciate it :).

What age range do the children have to be for the car seats? My kids will be 5, 7/1/2 & 9/1/2. In Australia the mandatory age for restraints is only to 4 years old :confused: but mine are still in booster seats (the boys are 6 & 8 at the moment).

As we are a family of five, yes, I know some that do allow five. The Excalibur Hotel and Luxor Hotel (next door) both allow five in the room. It's usually 2 beds and they add a rollaway. There might be a rollaway charge of about $20 but they don't charge extra for kids. We like the Luxor and Excalibur the most because of the great, huge children's arcade, good pool areas and also food courts for kid-friendly fast food. The Luxor and Excalibur are connected by monorail and also by indoor escalators. Some hotels do charge extra for more than two in the room even with kids. New-York New York and Monte Carlo do and also Rio Suites. I know the Mirage and Treasure Island don't allow more than four per room (at least they didn't when we were looking)-- they blame fire code. The Venetian used to allow five people - the Bella Suites (two beds and couch) are very roomy, but the Venetian costs more than the other two I mentioned. To help get better rates at any of the hotels, subscribe to their email deals on the hotel's website. Also, summer rates are the cheapest since it's so hot. Winter rates are more and of course, weekends and holidays the highest.

Hi travelermom

Thanks for the great tips! I have signed up to Excalibur which I think the kids will like and would most likely be in my price range. Interesting info about the summer vs winter rates. We will be there in October so i guess in between the two seasons ;).

In Anaheim, after the amusement parks think about going down Beach Blvd. (south) and take Pacific Coast Highway (not a freeway). You'll have a great view of the ocean. If you go right, you can go to Huntington Beach and on to Seal Beach, which is a nice walkable town. If you go left, you can drive into Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar, and Laguna Beach, very pretty and interesting.

Hi KCcruisin

I didn't think about about doing a scenic drive but it is a great idea :)! I'll see if we can squeeze some time into our schedule...thanks for the great suggestion.

HI Rose;

Here is the law for children in California (laws are different in EACH state.)

http://www.carseat.org/Legal/636_CAlaw_guide.pdf

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas at the Las Vegas Hilton ( I expect that it is still there ). You've gotten a LOT of great info already, enjoy the trip. The drivers are a bit better in California than in many of the other states, but they do drive fast and somewhat aggressive for the US, but as has been stated, compared to some places in Europe, they are indeed tame here <G>.

regards

Scott

HI Rose;

Here is the law for children in California (laws are different in EACH state.)

http://www.carseat.org/Legal/636_CAlaw_guide.pdf

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas at the Las Vegas Hilton ( I expect that it is still there ). You've gotten a LOT of great info already, enjoy the trip. The drivers are a bit better in California than in many of the other states, but they do drive fast and somewhat aggressive for the US, but as has been stated, compared to some places in Europe, they are indeed tame here <G>.

regards

Scott

Hi Scott

Thankyou for the link. Very interesting about the age and weight requirements.

I liked Star Trek when I was little so it might be worth a look...thanks for the suggestion :).

Sorry to tell you, but the Star Trek Experience in the LV Hilton closed last fall.

It apparently may return in downtown Las Vegas (Fremont Street) in a couple of years, but for right now it is gone.

Hi travelermom

Thanks for the great tips! I have signed up to Excalibur which I think the kids will like and would most likely be in my price range. Interesting info about the summer vs winter rates. We will be there in October so i guess in between the two seasons .

Gee whiz!:p

I post the recommendation about Excalibur and Luxor even before travelermom...

Luxor would be my next recommendation.

http://www.luxor.com/

Interesting enough for kids, and some cool 3D shows and rides.

Excalibur is very cheesy, but kids love it.

http://www.excalibur.com/

...and that's the thanks I get?:rolleyes: Completely ignored, and she gets all the credit!;):):D

I hope that you've actually read my other advice!

...and I'm kidding. I'm glad you got Excalibur booked. Let me know if you have any more questions or info about the LA and Anaheim hotels.

...and that's the thanks I get?:rolleyes: Completely ignored, and she gets all the credit!;):):D

...and I'm kidding. I'm glad you got Excalibur booked. Let me know if you have any more questions or info about the LA and Anaheim hotels.

I know you are kidding. I gave you a "Thank you" earlier today BTW. You really do help a lot of people.

...and that's the thanks I get? Completely ignored, and she gets all the credit!

Hi Curt

I'm sorry I didn't thankyou in the post :o. I did read your post & I thought I had included it in a multi-quote but I stuffed it up :confused:. Thankyou for the great suggestion :).

I plan on printing all the posts out and high-lighting all the relevant info so I don't miss any valuable information (especially yours :D).

Thanks again for all your help...keep the ideas coming.

Sorry to tell you, but the Star Trek Experience in the LV Hilton closed last fall.

It apparently may return in downtown Las Vegas (Fremont Street) in a couple of years, but for right now it is gone.

Hi zephyr17

That's okay ... i'm sure we will survive :). I can plan somethink else to go see now (+ there is always shopping :p)

Sorry, Curt! I'm not trying to compete with anyone. Just giving heartfelt advice about my family's own personal experiences since we also have a family of five who has run into challenges trying to get hotel rooms for five.

Hi Curt

I have another question for you :p. Can you take your own drinks (i.e. water, soda etc) into Disneyland, Universal Studios etc? (don't mind buying a few but the kids drink a lot of water and i'd like to save a few $$$ if I can).

Thanks

Yes you can take your own water and drinks into Disneyland, within reason. They will also let you take some snacks for the kids. You can't take a picnic lunch or a huge amount but they do allow the snacks. We do it all the time. Another great place for lunch at Disneyland is the Billy Hill and the Hillbilly's show in Frontier Land. You get lunch and a funny show. Its a good place to relax, eat and laugh. Another good place to eat is the Grand California Hotel. You can enter it either by downtown Disney or through Grand California Park. We go to the little snack area by the pool and get a nice meal without too many people and it helps relax the kids.

Yes you can take your own water and drinks into Disneyland, within reason. They will also let you take some snacks for the kids. You can't take a picnic lunch or a huge amount but they do allow the snacks. We do it all the time. Another great place for lunch at Disneyland is the Billy Hill and the Hillbilly's show in Frontier Land. You get lunch and a funny show. Its a good place to relax, eat and laugh. Another good place to eat is the Grand California Hotel. You can enter it either by downtown Disney or through Grand California Park. We go to the little snack area by the pool and get a nice meal without too many people and it helps relax the kids.

Hi notentirelynormal

That is brilliant. I wasn't sure if it was still allowed. With a 3 week holiday I think the kids would occasionally like food other than hotdogs, burgers etc so the restaurant options are also a great idea...thanks very much :).

I know you are kidding. I gave you a "Thank you" earlier today BTW. You really do help a lot of people.
Hi Curt

I'm sorry I didn't thankyou in the post . I did read your post & I thought I had included it in a multi-quote but I stuffed it up . Thankyou for the great suggestion .

I plan on printing all the posts out and high-lighting all the relevant info so I don't miss any valuable information (especially yours).

Thanks again for all your help...keep the ideas coming.

Sorry, Curt! I'm not trying to compete with anyone. Just giving heartfelt advice about my family's own personal experiences since we also have a family of five who has run into challenges trying to get hotel rooms for five.

Hey all!:eek: I really was just kidding around, but thanks for the support.:D

And travelermom, I didn't mean to imply any competition or anything.

What I forgot to say in the previous post to Brossy, was that...

Since I recommended Excalibur and Luxor, and you also recommended Excalibur and Luxor - then Brossy knew it was a good choice for her family as it came from two separate sources.

We were just backing up each other's opinion, which is always good for people to hear!;)

It's always great to get other people's info, and opinions - so I don't always sound like the only one recommending things!

So keep it coming!

PS I was just down in Anaheim for a while, and checked out a bunch of the hotels to make sure they were still what I like to recommend...

I feel like I posted it somewhere, but can't find it now...

If you can't find it in a search on my name here - then I'll repost it when I get back on Monday.;)

OP- Sorry I didn't reply about the car seat laws, but I see someone else provided the info which is great. Ironically I was in LV this last weekend. I had not been there in 2 years and everyone in our group noticed crowds and traffic were much lighter than what we would have expected. Two comments- I saw a post mentioning Red Rock Canyon. It's a great place for your family but temps will be 30-50c in the summer. Also your kids will like "Fremont Street Experience"...one of the old downtown streets has a 2-block long canopy that's a giant video screen. There's an hourly show your kids will like. A number of old historic neon signs restored are on display along Fremont as well.

Archived