Ruby Princess - new cruiser needs help :-)

Hello,

My husband and I have just booked our first ever cruise on board the Ruby Princess, going to the Med on 8th - 20th August 09. We have booked an outside cabin with balcony on Aloha deck - room # A226.

What top 3 tips do people have for us to make the most of our time on board? Would really appreciate your help!

Hello,

My husband and I have just booked our first ever cruise on board the Ruby Princess, going to the Med on 8th - 20th August 09. We have booked an outside cabin with balcony on Aloha deck - room # A226.

What top 3 tips do people have for us to make the most of our time on board? Would really appreciate your help!

1. Book specialty restaurants on first day (both Crown Grill and Sabatini's to get time and day you want.
  2. On Sea days, if you want to sit in a certain place near one of the pools, try to sit down by 9:30.
  3. Try to arrive at shows in Princess Theatre a little early as the venue is small and fills up.
  4. If you want a massage, they are discounted on sea days. Keep that in mind.

Sorry for adding #4. It would make my wife's top 3. Have a great cruise and welcome to CC.

Congrats on the first cruise. You will love the Ruby. We sailed on her a few weeks ago and had an amazing time. Top 3 tips (these are things we enjoyed):

1. Go on the Ultimate Ship Tour if you have the extra money ($150pp)

2. Coffee and pastries/sandwiches at the International Cafe and watch the live entertainment there (it's right next to the Piazza)

3. Snuggle up and watch a movie on the big screen (MUTS--Movies under the Stars). They will bring you a blanket and popcorn.

These are the things we enjoyed most. The crown grill is a nice meal to enjoy and alot of people love to do the Ultimate Balcony Dinner.

Thanks for your help - I'm starting to feel part of the cruising community now :-)

Does anyone have any feedback in relation to the outside balcony cabins on Aloha deck on the Ruby? I read loads of forums and reviews before I finally plucked up the courage to join in and, perhaps not surprisingly, have seen quite a lot of mixed views...

We were on the Ruby in March and stayed on the Aloha deck. We loved this location as it was only 2 flights up the stairs to the lido deck with the pools and buffets. We usually also walked down the few flights to the piazza area on deck 7-6-5.

1. Cookies and Milk every afternoon at the international cafe area at 3:30

2. If you miss a show one night not to worry as they usually show them over a 2 night stand.

3. Check your Patter that you will receive in your stateroom each night for the following days activities and times of events....if you think about it bring a highlighter to mark off the stuff you want to do so you do not miss it.

You've picked a very nice ship for your first cruise.

All the above advice is good, though to further elaborate on the first response you got, if your cruise is full, show up to the theatre, explorers lounge (when the comedian's there) and movies under the stars a full half hour early. Also, I'd say more like 830 for a good seat by the pool. :)

We were on the Ruby in March and stayed on the Aloha deck. We loved this location as it was only 2 flights up the stairs to the lido deck with the pools and buffets. We usually also walked down the few flights to the piazza area on deck 7-6-5.

1. Cookies and Milk every afternoon at the international cafe area at 3:30

2. If you miss a show one night not to worry as they usually show them over a 2 night stand.

3. Check your Patter that you will receive in your stateroom each night for the following days activities and times of events....if you think about it bring a highlighter to mark off the stuff you want to do so you do not miss it.

Thanks, momphoto. I have seen on these forums that some of the balconies can be over-shadowed by the pool deck, so don't get much sun. Is this the case on the Aloha deck?

Hello,

The Crown Grill steak house is a must.

The Adagio Bar for pre dinner drinks.

Sabatinis at least once, georgous sunsets.

Just got off the Ruby Monday am in Barcelona after 16 days on the Transatlantic. Congratulations--you have a wonderful ship and crew.

Some tips--if you want to save money--pack only 1/2 of what you think you will need and avail yourselves of the ships laundry--pack a collapsible hamper .99 at a dollar store--bring 2 rolls of quarters from home--dryer sheets and liquid all (2 loads for .99 at Target) all in a zip loc bag and wash early on a sea day.

#2--Based on feedback I heard, sit in DaVinci rather than Michaelangelo for dinner--better staff--if you can get Nickoli and Fernando at tables 484-485 & 486 wonderful--they are tops==Roger is a great Maitre 'de. Very accomodating.

#3--if you are a soda drinker, buy the soda card immediately--will save you $$$.

Don't think you have to do everything--take your time and enjoy the ship.

We had a Minisuite midship, starboard on D--loved it. remember your bath will be small--but you don't spend much time in the bathroom. If the shower is small--soap the walls and spin (just kidding)

Christine

The Crown Grill steak house is a must.

The Adagio Bar for pre dinner drinks.

Sabatinis at least once, georgous sunsets.

I think the Crown Grill is meaty and fishy-type food? Unfortunately I am a veggie (but husband isn't), so don't think that is suitable for me? Does the Italian restaurant have veggie food do you know?

Hi and welcome!

I just got off the Ruby on Monday and you will have a wonderful time!

We were in cabin A502 the same floor as you will be and its great (we picked the same floor on the Emerald last year) the balconey is covered but we had sun for part of the day most days.

Any questions about Ruby...just ask!:)

I think the Crown Grill is meaty and fishy-type food? Unfortunately I am a veggie (but husband isn't), so don't think that is suitable for me? Does the Italian restaurant have veggie food do you know?

Hey they have plenty of veggie side dishes too.

and killer desserts! :D

Forgot to say;) we loved the Crown Grill (and I don't usually eat red meat) but the menu is heavily based on meat and fish,especially for the main courses, Sabatinis also has meat and fish (Parma Ham, anchovies etc.. as entrees which you could avoid but I cant remember any vegetarian main courses - but I may be wrong - the main course is the only one you pick the rest just come ...)

There are vegetarian options on the Anytime dining menu

Thanks for your help - I'm starting to feel part of the cruising community now :-)

Does anyone have any feedback in relation to the outside balcony cabins on Aloha deck on the Ruby? I read loads of forums and reviews before I finally plucked up the courage to join in and, perhaps not surprisingly, have seen quite a lot of mixed views...

We were on Ruby in January with our family to celebrate our Ruby Wedding. We had three balcony cabins on Aloha deck. Had a wonderful time.

Things we liked were

• Sabatinis and the Adagio Bar beforehand - lovely olives and breadsticks. In Sabatinis, you pick your main course and your dessert and everything else they bring tasters of. Be warned it is a lot of food, so take your time:)
  • International Cafe for fresh pastries - yummy
  • Horizon court has a wonderful salad bar for lunchtimes.
  • the Spa adults only pool with swim against current
  • Pub lunch in the Wheelhouse on seadays - lovely fish and chips:)

You will have a great time - we did:D

Archived