sick after Mariner swine flu cruise

I highly doubt anyone with the flu-like symptoms has swine flu- but remember if you think you might have it PLEASE call your doctors office and make them aware of it BEFORE you go into the office. I know here in Georgia it is being asked that people go to urgent care centers if they expect swine flu-- not the ER or the regular doctors office so that if someone does have it (which we have a couple confirmed cases so far) that it doesn't spread...

though based on all the reading it seems just another type of virus going around...

signed,

your sdn medical student!

I personally think everyone is getting the same thing that has been crossing the United States since the middle of January, hacky cough, clogged nose, thick mucus in the throat that you cannot cough up, it all fits the same thing.

Not sure the ship had anything to do with it but maybe due to everyone being in a confined area.

Tim - HB Cruiser (on Crystal's screen name)

I just got exactly this. It started on Monday. Thankfully I didn't have to resort to seeing a doctor. I thought I might have a sinus infection, but the sinus pressure is gone today.

I got it from the petri dish that we call daycare. Same situation as the ship - lots of people in a confined space.

Reminds you that washing your hands religiously is a really good idea, especially if you are in public areaa. And never, ever rub your eyes, unless you JUST washed them.

That is a striking amount of sick people.

I do agree that they should take that shiip out of service and scrub it down. Far too many people are getting sick after sailing on it.

Really brilliant to take a woman who has been definately ill and put her back on a cruise ship again.:rolleyes:

If so many of you west coasters are so unhappy with MOS, send her home to the east coast. We will find a place for her;)

Believe me, I would if I could. I want my Monarch and Vision back! Although a Radiance class in LA would be acceptable...:)

2 months ago we were severly sick..not by a cruise but just doing everyday things. Swine flew seems like a common cold compared to what we had...everybody at work got this sickness. Maybe what is or was on the Mariner was the same flu....hopefully I will be immuned.

I concur. :D

Jim..........that goes without saying!!:D

So.....we are gearing up for another bout with the Mariner of the Seasss....who started something that has so many sssssss on the end of Seas!:eek:

Great report tonight.........my DW is not hacking and headed to the sink...trying to get more Flem up...........boy it's wonderful to have a semi normal life back!!

However..........I do understand that whatever we have seems to keep coming back. Just when we think that we have it beat.........it comes back to say..........Ah ha........I'm not done with you yet!!

All that I can say...........is Very Nasty!!

Rick

2 months ago we were severly sick..not by a cruise but just doing everyday things. Swine flew seems like a common cold compared to what we had...everybody at work got this sickness. Maybe what is or was on the Mariner was the same flu....hopefully I will be immuned.

As far as I know, swines have not begun to fly yet. ;):D

I have not been on the Mariner, but do know several people who have been recently and many of those are sick. Sure there are many that are sick across the U.S. at any given moment. But the difference is that these people that have recently sailed the Mariner are getting sick at the end of the cruise or just after they get off the ship and this is happening way to much lately. And it is not unusual that some people get sick and others don't when there is something that is going around since everyone's immune sytems are different and all of us have different reactions and sensetivities when exposed to the same bugs.

I really think that the number of people reporting illness on this board is astonishing considering that only a small percentage of people on any given cruise are members of Cruise Critics. Having said that, I honestly think that RCL needs to take a closer look at this issue. And I say that not just because I have friends that are sick but I have a vested interest in the company doing the right thing.

Jim..........that goes without saying!!:D

So.....we are gearing up for another bout with the Mariner of the Seasss....who started something that has so many sssssss on the end of Seas!:eek:

Great report tonight.........my DW is not hacking and headed to the sink...trying to get more Flem up...........boy it's wonderful to have a semi normal life back!!

However..........I do understand that whatever we have seems to keep coming back. Just when we think that we have it beat.........it comes back to say..........Ah ha........I'm not done with you yet!!

All that I can say...........is Very Nasty!!

Rick

Hey Rick...good to hear Bobbie is feeling better. Hope you have a great time in the "CanAmerican Riviera." I'll be a few weeks behind you.

As far as I know, swines have not begun to fly yet. ;):D

Parkay............you are kidding me..of course!!

Ask Kermit the Frog...........and see what he has to say about Miss Piggy.......after she gave him the Swine Flu!!:D:D:D

I think that pigs can fly!!:D Just realized that you may not know the joke. You need to google it!!

Rick

Hey Rick...good to hear Bobbie is feeling better. Hope you have a great time in the "CanAmerican Riviera." I'll be a few weeks behind you.

Thanks Jim..........wish that you were going with us!!

Rick

cant people just accept that it is flu season - and unless u can 100% trace your sickness back to the mariner - how dare everyone start a pandemic of their own and scare future mariner passengers - dont u all think the cruise lines and mexico have suffered enough - go to the doctor, get ur medication and i wish u all a speedy recovery.... - just because they are sick with the flu - - - is have nothing to do with the mariner - there have been no reported cases on norovirus on these sailing.

not to mention - that imo only 20% of passengers i see actually use the hand sanitizers which are all over the ship - we pass it along ourselves - - its not the ships fault----so please stop scaring passengers - if u got the flu, please accept this..

sorry for the abruptness, but dont u think the cruise lines and mexico in particual have suffered enough....

You can have the Mariner and everything else of its size == Vision, Rhapsody, Radiance and the like are plenty good for Mexico and Alaska. At least one still somewhat feels like they are 'at sea.'

Thank heavens we don't have to deal with the likes of Freedom, et al. Geesh -- why do you bother "cruising" at all? Those are not ships, they are floating cities. Thank you, no.

If so many of you west coasters are so unhappy with MOS, send her home to the east coast. We will find a place for her;)

RCL has a very good record with the CDC. The last reported case of a Norovirus outbreak on a RCL ship was Liberty of the Seas 5/26-6/2 2007.

There were 15 outbreaks on other cruiselines in 2008 and so far this year 9 outbreaks through 4/23 in 2009.

cant people just accept that it is flu season - and unless u can 100% trace your sickness back to the mariner - how dare everyone start a pandemic of their own and scare future mariner passengers - dont u all think the cruise lines and mexico have suffered enough - go to the doctor, get ur medication and i wish u all a speedy recovery.... - just because they are sick with the flu - - - is have nothing to do with the mariner - there have been no reported cases on norovirus on these sailing.

not to mention - that imo only 20% of passengers i see actually use the hand sanitizers which are all over the ship - we pass it along ourselves - - its not the ships fault----so please stop scaring passengers - if u got the flu, please accept this..

sorry for the abruptness, but dont u think the cruise lines and mexico in particual have suffered enough....

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. The people that post on CC account for a very small percentage of the people that have sailed on the Mariner. But yet many of the people posting here have gotten off that ship sick. It makes me wonder how many who don't post here have also come down sick.

And we are not trying to scare people or start a pandemic. We are simply stating what happened to us. And to my knowledge, not one of us has ever used the word "Norovirus" to describe the ilness we came down with or even implied that.

As for being flu season right now, I took this info off the CDC's website that might interest you and others. If you notice, they don't mention April or May.

Influenza activity typically does not reach its peak in the U.S. until January or February. During the past 26 flu seasons, the peak of the influenza season has occurred in November one season, December four seasons, January five seasons, February 12 seasons, and March four seasons.

I believe that the flu-like symptom being discussed here are defined by the CDC as noroviruses.

For example: FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) -- Carnival Cruise Lines says more than 700 people on its Liberty cruise ship have fallen ill with flu-like symptoms. The sickness is believed to be norovirus.

All cruise ships over 100 passangers on cruises of over 2 days are required to make formal reports to the CDC of all flu-like issues among passangers and crew.

Archived