What is the different btw Carnival and RCCL?

This is our first cruise with Carnival and we cruised with RCCL once. My friend doesn't like Carnival and when asked why...they said you will find out when you cruise in August?!

Is there a huge difference btw these two companies?

This is our first cruise with Carnival and we cruised with RCCL once. My friend doesn't like Carnival and when asked why...they said you will find out when you cruise in August?!

Based on our experience, cabins on RCCl are smaller than on Carnival. And for the money, Carnival is the better deal. Otherwise, if they covered up the logos on both ships, we couldn't tell the difference.

Some complain about Carnival's shorter cruises, but we have always made it a habit to book at times other than when school's out, Spring Break, and hurricane season.

I have been on both and love Carnival.....in fact have B2B booked for April 2010. I did RCL in August 08 to Scandanavia & Russia from Harwich UK and loved it both still prefer Carnival. HAL doesn't even rate in my book. Only did 1 cruise with them and very disappointed. They say Carnival is the 'party' ship and yes people have a great time, but yet to see over the top party mode. Activity around the pool area is always on the go but the ships are so big you can find quiet areas if this is not your scene. I like the food on Carnival and find the cabins much bigger than other cruise lines. All in all I keep flying from Aust to USA to cruise with Carnival. I have B2B cruises booked in Penthouse suite and the prices are cheaper than cruising here in Aust on Princess or P&O. For example my 3 night on P&O Dawn in July I am paying $1000 per night for a suite....go figure, cheaper to fly to US and enjoy a Carnival cruise and wonderful ports.:)

Done both, the food is better on Carnival, the rates are about 30% less than RCCL. Kids clubs are about the same.

As with all things, it just depends. Did you do an older RCCL ship? Did you do a newer one?

Carnival - food is better.

Carnival - prices are lower.

I personally like Royal Caribbean ships better. But that didn't keep me from trading in a RCCL cruise for Triumph this June.

I am Diamond on RCCL but I still do the occasional Carnival cruise. We'll see how this one goes. :D

After 4 Carnival cruises with our son, we went on RCL last year. We are going back on Carnival this year mostly for costs. I would go on either one both are a great time.

In my opinion, food is about the same except Carnival has better pizza and RCL has better room service food.

Carnival bedding is much better.

I missed the movie screen on Carnival, never went on the rock wall.

Kid programs about the same, although some of the RCL programs didn't happen because staff never showed up.

Johnny Rockets on RCL was really fun and really good food.

I liked the balcony doors on RCL because they slide instead of open out.

Other than that service was great on both and as I said a great time.

I've cruised both and liked them both. I thought that RCCL had better pizza but Carnival had a real afternoon tea (china, mini sandwiches, sweets, tea chest etc). I loved going to tea on our sea days. I really hope that Carnival still does it.

Your friend is very likely a snob that thinks that by paying more for something that makes it better.

They are different companies, but they are so similiar as to almost be interchangeable.

If they merged tomorrow, most passengers would never notice it unless told.

As with any comparison especially since you are on the carnival board, expect a bias towards carnival. In any event here is my opinion.

Food - About the same

Cabins - Carnival slightly larger but I prefer the RCCL layout better (Voyager class).

Price - Carnival is much cheaper

Outdoor activities - RCCL by a mile

Ships - Carnival is nice but nothing they have compares to the newer RCCL ships for outdoor activities, sheer beauty and design.

Itineraries - About the same

Choice of cruises - Carnival has many more ships thus more choice of sailing dates, departure ports and prices.

Overall I rate them about the same but if RCCL ever lowers there prices comparable to carnival I will cruise with them much more often.

As with any comparison especially since you are on the carnival board, expect a bias towards carnival. In any event here is my opinion.

Food - About the same

Cabins - Carnival slightly larger but I prefer the RCCL layout better (Voyager class).

Ships - Carnival is nice but nothing they have compares to the newer RCCL ships for outdoor activities, sheer beauty and design.

Choice of cruises - Carnival has many more ships thus more choice of sailing dates, departure ports and prices.

Overall I rate them about the same but if RCCL ever lowers there prices comparable to carnival I will cruise with them much more often.

I agree with all of this. And if RCCL decreased their price, I do think their ships are prettier. I really think Carnival dropped the ball big time on their decor, because it would have been no more money to go tasteful vs gaudy, but it doesn't give me nightmares or anything so I can live with it.

From our friends who have sailed both, not much. Different decor, smaller rooms on RCCL, better food on Carnival. Oh, and a markup in price, undoubtedly to pay for the insane cost of insurance it must carry to have an ice rink on board. A lot of the complaints against Carnival I see have to do with the decor. I personally don't base my vacations on the prettiest ships. I base it on itinerary, date, ship and price. If I ever decide to spend a cruise sitting and staring at the decor in the atrium, I'll re-evaluate LOL.

I have to admit, I get a good laugh from the folks on the RCCL board (we've been doing research for future cruises) who make fun of people who sail on Carnival (Carnies? Carnivores? Seriously? Are you trying to make yourself feel better about your social standing? Because RCCL is no luxury line LOL). If Carnival is the Wal-Mart, what is RCCL? The CVS? The Walgreens? A higher price for essentially the same product. It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad that so many people on that board judge people based on what cruise line they sail on. There have to be underlying issues there LOL.

We could afford to sail on any line we want. We choose Carnival because we've never had a bad Carnival experience. We've met people from all over the world, from all walks of life, and we'll keep sailing Carnival because they consistently provide a good vacation for us. We tried Princess, and while aspects of that trip were more to our liking, it just wasn't as much fun. The food is great, the shows are above par, and there's never a dull moment for us.

That said, we've only done 7- and 8-night cruises. I can't vouch for the shorter cruises ;)

I agree with all of this. And if RCCL decreased their price, I do think their ships are prettier. I really think Carnival dropped the ball big time on their decor, because it would have been no more money to go tasteful vs gaudy, but it doesn't give me nightmares or anything so I can live with it.

I don't understand why interior design is such a big deal. I understand with some of the older ships, the bright colors might be a little harsh on the eyes, but how much time are you (generalized you) spending in the atrium staring at the decor that this is such a big issue?

Maybe it's because I spend most of my time out on deck, in my cabin/balcony, in port, or in the clubs, but for this to be such a big deal (from what I've read on the RCCL board...decor is always one of the hot RCCL vs. Carnival topics), how much time are you spending in the atrium that this is such a big deal?

I have to admit, I get a good laugh from the folks on the RCCL board (we've been doing research for future cruises) who make fun of people who sail on Carnival (Carnies? Carnivores? Seriously? Are you trying to make yourself feel better about your social standing? Because RCCL is no luxury line LOL). If Carnival is the Wal-Mart, what is RCCL? The CVS? The Walgreens? A higher price for essentially the same product. It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad that so many people on that board judge people based on what cruise line they sail on. There have to be underlying issues there LOL.

With all due respect Nichole...isn't that what you're doing now to RCCL sailors? Judging them based on what cruise line they sail on? I've sailed both lines and I prefer RCCL, just because I enjoyed the overall experience better with RCCL, it doesn't mean someone else would need to agree with me because they may enjoy what they get from Carnival more. No problem with that, right? RCCL does have some Beautiful Ships, that's one of the biggest differences between the two in my opinion. :)

Food - About the same

I agree with the above post except for two points.

If you book an inside cabin on the Voyager or Freedom class ships the bed touches the desk and you have to climb over the bed to get in.

I have never used the flow rider or rock climbing wall on RCCL but I have used the water slide and love the seaside theater on Carnival.

If the price is the same for a newer RCCL ship I usually choose RCCL.

RCCL vs. Carnival is very similar to the Ford vs. Chevy comparisions. Both are far more similar than different.

I would love to give RCCL a try but cannot justify the price difference. As others have said, if they'd lower their prices I'd sail them to give them a shot. Our best friends sail them every year but when we compared our upcoming cruises and pricing they were pretty shocked at the price difference and may be moving to Carnival next year.

I'll admit...I'm a big Royal Caribbean fan. But...I also really like Carnival as well as Celebrity and Princess lines. They are all great...truly.

For me, the difference is in both the kids activities...since we like to take our 3 kids with us...as well as in the decor and set up of the ships.

Royal's ships just seem to have a wow factor that I really like. Truly just a personal preference. Maybe they look more "elegant"...not sure if that's the right word. Carnival's are more bright and glitzy I would say. Not a bad thing for either.

On Royal the kids never get bored. On Carnival they have. Even if they aren't interested in the scheduled activities, they love the sports deck on Royal Caribbean. Full basketball court, mini golf, rock climbing, inline skating and even the ice skating rink.

That being said, I'm finding that Carnival seems to be a much better value...particularly for a family. It is hard to justify spending a couple thousand more for a "sports' deck if you know what I mean.

I would not hesitate to book with Carnival again and am looking for next February at this point.

Have a great time!!!

I'll have to agree with Heatherco. Our kids get board on Carnival with only a slide and kids club. More for our kids to do on Royal. IMO Royal has the better ships. We are willing to pay more to be on Voyager/Freedom class ship. However we still sail with Carnival just not that often.

Enjoy! you can't go wrong with either line!!

I'll have to agree with Heatherco. Our kids get board on Carnival with only a slide and kids club. More for our kids to do on Royal. IMO Royal has the better ships. We are willing to pay more to be on Voyager/Freedom class ship. However we still sail with Carnival just not that often.

Enjoy! you can't go wrong with either line!!

As with all things, it just depends. Did you do an older RCCL ship? Did you do a newer one?

Carnival - food is better.

Carnival - prices are lower.

I personally like Royal Caribbean ships better. But that didn't keep me from trading in a RCCL cruise for Triumph this June.

I am Diamond on RCCL but I still do the occasional Carnival cruise. We'll see how this one goes. :D

I echo your sentiments :)

The only difference would be I traded a 10 day on the Jewel of The Seas to sail a 14 day on NCL Dawn...for only $100 more (total for 2 people)

I also agree with this 100% as far as beauty of the ships...but like others have said, both lines are good. You can't go wrong with either :)

OP..can I ask what sailing you're on?? You are sailing in August, are you sailing with a family?? There will be a LOT of kids on board your ship.

Food - About the same

I couldn't have said it better myself. I definitely think RCCL has a "classier" look to it, not that Carnival doesn't have that wow factor its just more of a fun, colorful look. I love them both. We're cruising on Carnival Inspiration in a couple of weeks and on the Legend in October. For the price, you just cant beat Carnival.

Usually about thirty percent and a rock wall. :D

I'd say that's about right. :D

RCCL has larger ships with more physical activities aboard. Other than that, they cater to the same market and provide more or less the same product. You'll find that most Carnival-bashers are going by what they've heard and have never actually sailed Carnival.

Cabins: people keep saying that Carnival cabins are bigger, BUT depends on which class of ship you are sailing.

Conquets Class cabins are indeed bigger that the Vision Class, but then again which kind of cabins you are looking at.

Inside on the Freedom class are the same size as on Conquest class.

Food: Don't think the food is better on Carnival. In the end they are the same b/c like most people say buffet on Royal Caribbean is much better then on Carnival and I totally agree.

Archived