11:15 flight

Bakincakes

I wouldn't chance it. Too many things can go wrong.

The first thing you should do is check cruisett.com to see how many ships will be there that day. If there's only 2 or 3 they might have a shot, but if it's a busy weekend with 7 or 8 cruise ships there, IMO it would be very risky to try for an early flight.

Last month we sailed the Westerdam out of FLL and had an 11:10 flight. To make sure they get to the airport in time, they should select the Expedited Disembarkation, but they will need to carry their luggage off the ship themselves. This way they will be the first passengers off the ship. This is what we did and made it to the airport and through security by 9:15 a.m.

As long as the ship is not delayed in beginning disembarkation, they should have plenty of time.

They're taking a chance. FLL airport can have very long, backed up lines if there are a lot of ships in.

Check http://www.cruisett.com to see how ships are expected to be in Port Everglades with them that day.

We would not book that early a flight but that is just us.

They're taking a chance. FLL airport can have very long, backed up lines if there are a lot of ships in.

Check http://www.cruisett.com to see how ships are expected to be in Port Everglades with them that day.

We would not book that early a flight but that is just us.

We did it last fall from the Westerdam, We did not take our own luggage off. collected it in the terminal, and caught a cab. There were at least six ships in. No crowds at check as they only let people trhough security who have flights with in about 90 minutes. If your flight is later than that, you wait to go through. Do not take the ship's tranfers as they wait for the bus to fill and then disgorge every one at once. Also check in inside not red cap. Hope this helps. We were therE by 9:45. Sherrie

When it works out, it's wonderful. It is when it doesn't work out that it isn't so great. I would guess 75% of the time, you'd make it. If you're a risk taker, try it.

It doesn't take a lot to delay disembarkation. There are times it starts promptly and flows smoothly. And there are times it doesn't.

IMHO it is too much stress hanging over your heads all during your vacation subconsciously thinking about whether or not you will make the plane. We always book the later flight and then the morning we hit FLL, we beat feet off the ship and try to get to airport asap ... we then see if we can get on earlier flight - this actually has worked for us several times.

That having been said, the one time you would want to catch an early flight would be when - and this actually happened to us TWICE in FLL - the ship either can not dock due to the heavy traffic or fog and then has to dock at a temporary location only to move two hours later - we got off the ship about 10:30 or so both times.

Book the later flight.

harry

And it might not just be a ship problem. One time I came in through FLL, there were 7 ships in and the computer system for the self check in machines at the airport was down - I had to queue for four and a half hours just to check in and very nearly didn't get on my mid-afternoon flight. Admittedly, that was a one-off and very badly handled by FLL but you just never know!

It depends how far you have to go and what your alternative flights home might be and how much you will worry about it - it's an individual decision.

I've done 11am flights many times to FLL. The only thing you need to do is make sure you have the expedited departure tags and you must carry off your luggage. Its largely irrelevant how many ships are in because you are going to be leaving before the vast majority of other people. I usually arrive at the airplane gate before 9am which would gives me 2 hours wiggle room.

We had not been to FLL before and I booked a VERY safe flight. DW stood in line quite a while (I can't stand that long) only to find we were TOO EARLY!:eek: SW wanted over half what we had already paid to get a seat on an earlier flight!:mad:

To top it off, they do NOT serve coffe before you go through security!!:eek:

Never want to go to that airport again.:eek:

We did the drag off of our luggage when there were 6 ships in FLL, a Saturday, caught a group shuttle van of 10 people and were to the Southwest ticket counter by 9:30 for around noon flight. They offered and we took an earlier flight 10:15 I think, no upcharge or change fee, so we were home by noon. I wouldn't hesitate in FLL. Just pay attention to the shuttle guys when you come out. We were headed to the end of a very long taxi line when this guy approached us to fill his shuttle. We jumped in, paid our $12, and never came close to that taxi line. The other times we have come out of FLL were also very smooth with the around noon flight; we usually waited gateside for more than an hour. If it were me, take the 11:15 and don't look back.

We just flew back from FLL about 4 weeks ago. We filled out the form for early departure.

Recieved a notice that our departure was between 8"15 and 8:30. silent departure. We left our room about 8"25 and were at the airport by 9. Checked in and through security by

9:15 and were at the gate by at least 9:30. Turned out there was a 10 am flight going to Newark but it was full. We could have made that. We have dine an 11 or 11:30 flight many times with no problem. Ther is always a chance something wil delay arrival and the you are

screwed. But I would say from our experience, go for it.

Friends are sailing out of Fort Lauderdale and are wondering if an 11:15 am flight is reasonable on the way home.

Westerdam sailing...7 am return to Lauderdale.

Unless something really out of the ordinary happens ... such as one of the ship's engines failing, reducing speed significantly, or another totally unpredictable delay, 11:15 a.m. is fine. You'll have no trouble whatsoever making that flight.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It can be done IF Mr. Murphy doesn't make an appearance:cool: If he does, there could be a ride on an infamous creek w/o a paddle
If something so unusual happened to make the OP miss an 11:15 a.m. flight, I would think HAL would be assisting a lot of passengers with reworking their flight arrangements. Something really out of the ordinary would have to happen to cause debarking passengers to miss a flight that late ... especially since the airport is not very far from the pier. Now if the OP had to go to the Miami Airport, that may be a bit different ... but Fort Lauderdale? Easy.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Friends are sailing out of Fort Lauderdale and are wondering if an 11:15 am flight is reasonable on the way home.

Westerdam sailing...7 am return to Lauderdale.

We do this all the time with no problems. In fact, if you get off the ship too early, you will still be sitting there for over two hours! Port Everglades to Fort Lauderdale airport is as close as it gets--less than 2 miles and a 10 minute cab ride--so there is very little traffic or distance risk. And, from my experience, that flight is generally a bit cheaper and easier to find seats on because of all the "it's too risky" folks out there! :rolleyes: :p

I also think the airline you are flying makes a big difference. From Indianapolis we fly North West (soon to be Delta) and the lines are have been no more than a dozen people and the security lines are too bad either. The lines for South West and Jet Blue seem to be very very long as we pass their terminal going to NW.

Another factor is what flights do they have later in the day if you miss your scheduled, early flight?

We always stay one day (at least) post cruise so ease back into reality and don't have to rush off to the airport. :) I love that transition day.

On our Jan 8 2010 departure from Ft. Lauderdale we having mid afternoon flight on American. Several of you have posted about getting a earlier flight once you get to airport. When you do this, where do you check for a chance at getting a earlier flight. I assume you don't check your luggage outside until you check on this. If you change flights does it usually result in a fee increase.

Thanks alot for any input. We are those people who usually book a safe flight then sit around the airport for 4-6 hrs waiting for that safe flight.

Mary

I took a 10:55 am out of FLL on a Sunday, 4/5/09. I self-disembarked and was at the airport and sitting at my gate at 8:20 something.... I would not hesitate to fly out anytime after about 10 - 10:30. Yes, there is always a chance you won't make a flight. There's a much better chance you're going to make it as the ship is generally turned around by 11:30 or so. I didn't worry about making my flight once while on the ship.

Archived