What if you can't make the cruise?

koiv870

Hi everyone,

i'm expecting to book a cruise but it's a few years in advance and i wonder what are my options if for any reasons i can't make it. Can i give my tickets to someone? Can i sell them? Or is it like plane tickets and nobody else other than yourself can use your ticket?

thanks!

Most people write trip cancellation insurance at the time they book. Insurance is not refundable but sometimes can be transferred to a different cruise/trip. When choosing insurance, read carefully which you select. Not every reason for cancelling is covered. A good resource to learn about the various policies is http://www.insuremytrip.com.

There are various cancellation policies enforced by different cruise lines. Most have no penalty if you cancel before final payment.... verify with the cruise line you are booking. Also, verify if the TA you are using (if you use one) imposes a cancellation fee. Some do and some do not. Know in advance.

For the most part, if you cancel before final payment, you would not be out the whole cost of your trip but could suffer some much smaller amount of loss. (Final payment due date varies by cruise line but most fall somewhere between 60-90 days in advance of your cruise date.)

Final payment is 90 days before you sail.

That varies by cruise line. They are not all the same. It even has been known to vary within the same cruise line from one particular cruise to another.

Final payment varier from 60-90 days depending on length of cruise. You cannot sell your cruise to someone else. You may be able to change one or more people in the cabin, but most cruise lines require that one of the original people booked in the cabin sail in that cabin. Unless you are trying to get on a special sailing or inaugural sailing, or a particular cabin, it is foolish to book this far out if you are unsure. Prices will probably seesaw greatly over more than a year.

Hi everyone,

i'm expecting to book a cruise but it's a few years in advance and i wonder what are my options if for any reasons i can't make it. Can i give my tickets to someone? Can i sell them? Or is it like plane tickets and nobody else other than yourself can use your ticket?

thanks!

Exactly, you can not give away or sell a booking on a cruise unless one of the original passengers will be sailing.

In addition to what was said HAL lets you pay 100 toward any cruise when you do it while you are on a cruise. Thus little cash up front to risk.

Also, remember the cruise line can also cancel the cruise or change it so I would think more in terms of a year or less in advance.

Most people write trip cancellation insurance at the time they book. Insurance is not refundable but sometimes can be transferred to a different cruise/trip. When choosing insurance, read carefully which you select. Not every reason for cancelling is covered. A good resource to learn about the various policies is www.insuremytrip.com.

There are various cancellation policies enforced by different cruise lines. Most have no penalty if you cancel before final payment.... verify with the cruise line you are booking. Also, verify if the TA you are using (if you use one) imposes a cancellation fee. Some do and some do not. Know in advance.

For the most part, if you cancel before final payment, you would not be out the whole cost of your trip but could suffer some much smaller amount of loss. (Final payment due date varies by cruise line but most fall somewhere between 60-90 days in advance of your cruise date.)

thanks for the link but it unfortunately doesn't seem to work for Canada.

While the cruise line's own cancellation protection coverage isn't really insurance, as a Canadian I've sometimes paid for that instead. Whether it's a good idea or a bad one depends on the cruise line's policy, and the age of the people you're covering. My next cruise is with Holland America, and I'm travelling with my 86 year old parents. HAL's Platinum CPP lets us cancel for any reason right up to the time the ship sails, and get 90% back. Also provides medical coverage (including evacuation) after sailing.

Archived