I can't take it...

First let me start with I have NEVER smuggled either alcohol or an iron or a steamer on board (I would never have room in a carry-on for an iron or steamer!).

But I have to ask people...First, didn't RCI allow irons and/or steamers at one point or another?

Does anyone know of a ship catching on fire and risking peoples' lives (see posts on page 1) due to said iron/steamer?

Why is it that people are assumed to be smart when they're in a tremendous hotel, where EVERY ROOM has an iron that EVERY GUEST can leave on and torch the entire building, but those same people seem to assume that those very people would turn into complete idiots on a cruise ship, forget to turn off said iron/steamer (most of which turn off themselves for safety reasons) and burn down the entire ship?

??

:confused:

-Curious on Long Island

Cleaner bags work great for the dresses, suits etc. I have also used EXTRA large (bigger than gallon) zip lock bags for other clothing. I put all underwear, socks etc. in them, press the air out and they save on space in the suitcase and don't move all over the place. Also, if your luggage should be inspected, it doesn't get messed up and no one is touching your personal items.... I have also put teeshirts, cotten shirts, etc. in them..... they can hold a good amount and you will be very suprised how little space it takes up when air is pushed out. At the end of the cruise, I put dirty clothes in them and again it saves alot of space. You can also pack 'fragile' things in them inbetween clothes, etc.

I can understand bringing your favorite booze on board (smuggling), as there is very little direct affect on other passengers onboard with you. However an iron can have major affects on other passengers you are onboard with. Just imagine you left in a hurry and didn't turn it off. It catches fire and ruins not only your cruise, but that of the other 1500 to 3000 passengers on board. I'm sure you will be held both civially and criminally liable for and DEATHS, INJURIES, as well as all the damage your careless act caused.

My fire retardand suit is now in place, so let the flaming begin!

No flaming!!! You are right!!!

I've found that the Downy Wrinkle Release works well on MOST fabrics. It's really great on soft fabrics such as T-shirts (which I live in during the summer!) and works well on others as well. It's certainly worth trying...

Anyone know where we can get Downy Wrinkle release in the UK?? I havent found it anywhere.

I hear what you are saying Phinn, I'm still afraid to tell DH about this policy and that there are no alternatives other than to pay for pressing . . . he's already not too thrilled because there are no room safes or mini fridges in our cabin :rolleyes:

The real danger from clothing irons is from the wattage itself of the appliance, it's just too strong a current for the system to handle. The appliance can cause arcing and can actually knock out the power for a whole area of the ship, not just the cabin where the iron is used.

It has actually been a maritime law for a long time, along with candles and such, I found it once and regret that I didn't link the page to my favorites. It's not just RCI that disallows it, all cruise lines do. It is nice that some provide laundry rooms, the only time I've been on a ship with a laundry room I would have had to wait in line over an hour to use the iron...not what I want to do on vacation.

I've had the problem of an appliance being too strong for the system, but it was my travel dryer with an emergency cutoff. The dryer was an 1800 watt, much stronger than typical blow dryers. It was also an older ship, I think newer ships have different wiring to accomodate more electrical current.

Better packing methods and more travel friendly clothing is the best way to handle the problem of wrinkles.

Thank you for being so considerate to risk your fellow passengers in the name of pressed clothing.

Oh please. If smoking and hair irons/curlers are allowed, then irons should be too. The only reason they're not is for the cruise lines to turn a profit.

On our last cruise DW was sent to the "naughty" room to claim her suitcase. All because of an opened one liter bottle of water that she wanter to keep because of the spout for easier sipping. While there the security guy asked her about her small folding steamer and she said she has taken it on all our cruises. He then asked his counter part if the steamer was OK and the more senior security said yes, let it go.

Thank you, I do see that steamers are not allowed. I thought I read on the boards that they were. Fire is a serious thing on a ship and all rules in this area need to be followed. That being said, I have many times run off (at home!) and left my curling iron on, but I always unplug the iron. I can't live without my curling iron so let's not give them any ideas! I love that "irons and steamers" come right after "illegal drugs" on the RCI website!! :eek::eek:

What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship? - Royal Caribbean International Illegal Drugs Irons/Clothes Steamers Personal Alcohol

s.gif

A very cheap method is to hang clothes in the bathroomm after thw shower has been on it's hottest setting. The steam will release most wrinkles and while a tiny bit damp use your downey wrinkle release works great now.

Oh please. If smoking and hair irons/curlers are allowed, then irons should be too. The only reason they're not is for the cruise lines to turn a profit.

I agree...also, I'd be more worried about cigarettes than irons or steamers. Not that I'm actually worried about any of those things. I just peeked in this thread to figure out what the title was referring to...

Just off the Monarch this morning, and, for the first time, I noticed a table right before you exit the terminal FULL of irons and steamers. Every size and kind you could imagine. I couldn't believe how many there were. They were all tagged and waiting for their owners to pick them up. I was hoping that Gatordad wouldn't notice them, as I told him long ago that they don't make irons anymore. :rolleyes:

Is the "no steamer" thing new?

I knew irons weren't allowed but I thought small hand-held steamers were.

The no steamer thing was added sometime in the last year.

I was hoping that Gatordad wouldn't notice them, as I told him long ago that they don't make irons anymore. :rolleyes:

They don't make them anymore. Those were antiques people tried to smuggle onboard.;)

Archived