I can't take it...

My iron. So now how do I keep my clothes neat? I know, I know.... I can have them pressed by staff for a nominal fee, but I'm trying to avoid that, and not for money reasons. I read some people fold their clothes, some people roll them. Someone mentioned Downy Wrinkle Release. Does that really work well? Any hints? I've heard lots of people mention sneaking booze on board, me? I'd rather have my travel iron or steamer.

I wrap my clothes in Dry Cleaning Bags. I learned from reading these boards that they help keep the wrinkles down. So far on 4 cruises it has worked for me. I layer a bag in between layers of clothes. You can purchase them for a nominal fee at you local dry cleaner.

I also use them in our hang up bag.

Good luck!

I've found that the Downy Wrinkle Release works well on MOST fabrics. It's really great on soft fabrics such as T-shirts (which I live in during the summer!) and works well on others as well. It's certainly worth trying...

My favorite method for my shirts/jeans/etc is to use the Eagle Creek Pack-It folder. I have the folder that holds 15 shirts, plus a few of the packing cubes. That, plus Downy Wrinkle Release, usually helps get rid of the wrinkles. These days I usually have to leave my linen stuff at home though :(.

For the important stuff like dresses, I take my garment bag!

My iron. So now how do I keep my clothes neat? I know, I know.... I can have them pressed by staff for a nominal fee, but I'm trying to avoid that, and not for money reasons. I read some people fold their clothes, some people roll them. Someone mentioned Downy Wrinkle Release. Does that really work well? Any hints? I've heard lots of people mention sneaking booze on board, me? I'd rather have my travel iron or steamer.

Small travel iron or steamer, bring it on. We do.

I can understand bringing your favorite booze on board (smuggling), as there is very little direct affect on other passengers onboard with you. However an iron can have major affects on other passengers you are onboard with. Just imagine you left in a hurry and didn't turn it off. It catches fire and ruins not only your cruise, but that of the other 1500 to 3000 passengers on board. I'm sure you will be held both civially and criminally liable for and DEATHS, INJURIES, as well as all the damage your careless act caused.

My fire retardand suit is now in place, so let the flaming begin!

I use Wrinkle Release and it works for me. My mother and aunt always fold their clothes with tissue paper. THey swear it works. I tried it this time and I actually think it did help. I have tried rolling but that didn't work well for me. I do use the dry cleaning bags for the stuff I store in the top of the suitcase and leave on hangers. THat helps alot.

If they find it they will confiscate it. They do give them back, you get a claim check. Our small clip on fan was confiscated...although no one believes me ;) When we went to fetch it, there were quite a few irons, I was surprised how many full sized irons there were.

That and boxes of booze bottles plus childrens toys that looked like weapons.

We use dry cleaner bags and they work great. I'm not crazy for the smell of the Downey stuff and the fact that it only smoothes wrinkles a bit. We like well pressed clothes.

Don't overpack, but also pack so stuff can't shift, this is why packing folders work so well.

I use a couple of methods. Things that are really creasy - like DH's shirts - actually go out to be pressed. But in general, I try to pack things that don't crease as easily - so I stay away from linen. My "better" stuff goes into a garment bag that I carry on board with me. Everything is hung in dry cleaning plastic. As soon as we get into our cabin I hang everything out and separate it so it has room to hang. The sea air lifts a lot of the smaller wrinkles.

If things need a touch up then I either use Downy Wrinkle Release (yes, it works - especially on golf shirts, tee-shirts, and things where you don't worry so much about a knife-edged crease), or I hang them in the bathroom when we shower.

I don't like to be wrinkled and these methods work.

And you're so special that you can put the rest of the ship in jeopardy because?

In answer to the OP's question, yes, the wrinkle release products work quite well on cottons and knits. Leave the linen and silk at home or pay to have it pressed - not that expensive.

This is the type of packing folder I was referring to. I use mine for every trip that I take these days. Not only does it help keep wrinkles away, but it also helps me pack more and a lot more efficiently. They run around $25 depending on the size, but are a GREAT investment.

Last year I packed for a 5 week trip using one folder, two full size cubes, a half cube, a toiletry kit, and odds & ends tucked in between.

I do all of the packing for our family. We usually have a garment bag for dresses and suits, but all other clothes go in a duffel bag with wheels. The clothes shift so much that I started using 2 gallon ziploc bags. If we aren't going to be unpacking and staying put, then a complete outfit goes into each bag...undies, socks, shirt, shorts..etc.... If we are cruising then all shirts go into one, shorts into another, swimsuits in another. It is so easy to pull the bags and see what is in them and they haven't moved, so few wrinkles. I push out all of the air and it is a nice little package. If only other areas of my life were so organized. I tend to get a bit OCD when it comes to traveling.

This whole issue could be solved if RCCL had just included an ironing room/laundry on their ships, like Princess does. On the newer Princess ships there is a laundry on every deck! Packing an iron/steamer is not needed. I'll be packing a small steamer (if allowed) for our Liberty cruise! :D

This whole issue could be solved if RCCL had just included an ironing room/laundry on their ships, like Princess does. On the newer Princess ships there is a laundry on every deck! Packing an iron/steamer is not needed. I'll be packing a small steamer (if allowed) for our Liberty cruise! :D

And on some (if not all) Carnival ships.

Good old fashion water works well, too. Take a small spray bottle, and spritz your clothes as you hang them up. Make sure, of course, they don't stain with water. Smooth out the biggest wrinkles, but when I do this with my husband's tropical shirts, they fall right out.

The cleaning bag suggestion is a good one, too.

Take lightweight knit clothing, too. Very few, if any, wrinkles.

P.S. I take a small fold-up travel steamer made of a plastic material that doesn't heat up. It only boils water that comes out of the little holes at the top. We'll see if it's confiscated, and I will ask to talk to the safety officer if it is. If I show them that it's not even hot to the touch, I'm hoping for a "get out of the naughty room free" sticker on it!!! We'll see (maybe).

I have used a steamer in the past without problems, but the the last few cruises, I use the dry-cleaning bags and rolling and we have very few wrinkles. Honestly, I packed hubby's tux in the suitcase using dry-cleaning bags and when I took it out, gave it a good shake and hung in the closet. It was perfect. Also my gowns...no problems.

I'll be packing a small steamer (if allowed) for our Liberty cruise! :D

Steamers are on the prohibited list along with irons. Sorry.

And thank you and to the OP for following the rules and trying to find solutions that work within them!

Thanks all. Again I've learned something new. Pack and fold. Well too late for this Sunday's cruise, but will keep it in mind for the next one. I guess I'll pick up that Downy Wrinkle Release and give that a try as well for my rolled clothes in the cleaner bags. My formal night top will have to be pressed on board. If all else fails, I guess I'll just have to have them press my items. I have to say, I do wish they had a pressing room available, but in the end, a wrinkled outfit on a ship is better than a well pressed land day anytime!

Archived