Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Question(s) for Dubrovniktravellady:

First of all, Happy New Year! DH and I will be on a port intensive Mediterrean cruise with HAL this spring. Picked this itinerary because of the stop in Dubrovnik and a must see given all we have heard about this beautiful city along with the fact that we are unlikely to ever return to the Mediterrean. Not seeing anything in the ship's excursions that would suit so are considering a DIY. DH has fibromyalgia and I've got artifical knees and a fused ankle (both use canes). We are aware that it is highly unlikely we can walk the wall given the number of steps. Have tried looking at Google Earth to get a sense of things but the image is too pixalated. Here are my questions:

1. Can one access just part of the wall or is there another vantage point for one to overlook the city?

2. Are taxis readily available for getting around?

3. Do taxi drivers have enough English for one to communicate with?

4. We are mobile but prefer not to walk long distances or stand in one spot for extensive periods of time.

We often surprise ourselves and manage to do more than we expected to but better to have that attitude than to plan to do everything and find we can't.

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks a bunch for your kindness.

Sandy :)

Question(s) for Dubrovniktravellady:

First of all, Happy New Year! DH and I will be on a port intensive Mediterrean cruise with HAL this spring. Picked this itinerary because of the stop in Dubrovnik and a must see given all we have heard about this beautiful city along with the fact that we are unlikely to ever return to the Mediterrean. Not seeing anything in the ship's excursions that would suit so are considering a DIY. DH has fibromyalgia and I've got artifical knees and a fused ankle (both use canes). We are aware that it is highly unlikely we can walk the wall given the number of steps. Have tried looking at Google Earth to get a sense of things but the image is too pixalated. Here are my questions:

1. Can one access just part of the wall or is there another vantage point for one to overlook the city?

2. Are taxis readily available for getting around?

3. Do taxi drivers have enough English for one to communicate with?

4. We are mobile but prefer not to walk long distances or stand in one spot for extensive periods of time.

We often surprise ourselves and manage to do more than we expected to but better to have that attitude than to plan to do everything and find we can't.

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks a bunch for your kindness.

Happy New Year! You will be unable to access any part of the wall, there are just far too many steps leading up there. However, that being said, it is my strong recommendation that you opt for a panorama drive tour. You can use any of the taxis waiting at the docks and yes they do speak English. However if you are really interested in learning about our history and our culture, I know that hiring a licensed car and driver would be the best. This will permit you to be driven to the top of Mt. Srd where the views are breathtaking. If time permits, you can also include a trip to our Konavle region, perhaps with a lunch break overlooking the sea. Lots of options, you just need to do research. Unfortunately I am not permitted by cruise critic to recommend anyone on this board. Good luck.

Happy New Year! You will be unable to access any part of the wall, there are just far too many steps leading up there. However, that being said, it is my strong recommendation that you opt for a panorama drive tour. You can use any of the taxis waiting at the docks and yes they do speak English. However if you are really interested in learning about our history and our culture, I know that hiring a licensed car and driver would be the best. This will permit you to be driven to the top of Mt. Srd where the views are breathtaking. If time permits, you can also include a trip to our Konavle region, perhaps with a lunch break overlooking the sea. Lots of options, you just need to do research. Unfortunately I am not permitted by cruise critic to recommend anyone on this board. Good luck.

You have confirmed my instincts, Dubrovniktravelady, about our inability to walk the wall. However, I very much appreciate your comments and suggestions which I will certainly persue in our research for this port. It is always important to learn about history and culture when visiting new countries. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! I would like to know about the restaurant that is on the side of the rock face. I think it would be a neat place for lunch if the food is good. I forgot the name of it, but I think it is just one short word that I probably couldn't spell anyway, so any help appreciated!! Will be arriving May 3rd on Vista, so wondering also what the weather would be like. I'm from UK originally so I gather it would be similar -- like spring time, maybe a few warm days, but just as likely to rain???

Hi all! I would like to know about the restaurant that is on the side of the rock face. I think it would be a neat place for lunch if the food is good. I forgot the name of it, but I think it is just one short word that I probably couldn't spell anyway, so any help appreciated!! Will be arriving May 3rd on Vista, so wondering also what the weather would be like. I'm from UK originally so I gather it would be similar -- like spring time, maybe a few warm days, but just as likely to rain???

I am sure that you are thinking about Buza Bar, it is the located on the rocks outside of our city wall. However you are misinformed, it is a bar which serves only beverages and no food at all.

In May our weather can be perfect spring weather or thunder storms also. That being said, last year we were still wearing winter clothing until the first part of June. Weather is totally unpredictable these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Dubrovnik Travel Lady,

I have been reading your posts and find them to be so helpful. Thank you! Previously you posted a link to the Port Information. I can't get the port harbor link to work. Are there other ships in port on Sun. Aug. 28, 2016 ? We arrive on the Celebrity Equinox at 7 AM and depart at 7 PM. Thank you!

Pat

Hello Dubrovnik Travel Lady,

I have been reading your posts and find them to be so helpful. Thank you! Previously you posted a link to the Port Information. I can't get the port harbor link to work. Are there other ships in port on Sun. Aug. 28, 2016 ? We arrive on the Celebrity Equinox at 7 AM and depart at 7 PM. Thank you!

Pat

A good day, NCL is the only other large ship scheduled. The old town will still be busy with the normal land guests in August. Enjoy your limited time here, it is a lovely town.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Our ship's itinerary changed which takes us to your wonderful port of call, Dubrovnik, Croatia. I have been reading all of your great many pages of info. I will be traveling with my Daughter (20), and we wanted to explore the town, maybe walk wall, possible cable car if you think it is a must. On our cc roll call, we have been sharing rides and tours. Can cabs be shared? are there mini vans that accommodate 8 pax, for ride into town and can we just catch at port, or do we need to reserve? I was even thinking of utilizing the public buses mentioned in http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/lang/en/get/kako_doci_do_dubrovnika/2112/arrival_by_boat.html

Are buses an ok way to travel?

Also, Swimming activities, I know weather unpredictable, but your thoughts? Is there such a place as a safe cliff jumping? I read all about the Australian, and not looking for anything crazy.

Thanks in advance for all your help, we so appreciate your input.

Maria

Our ship's itinerary changed which takes us to your wonderful port of call, Dubrovnik, Croatia. I have been reading all of your great many pages of info. I will be traveling with my Daughter (20), and we wanted to explore the town, maybe walk wall, possible cable car if you think it is a must. On our cc roll call, we have been sharing rides and tours. Can cabs be shared? are there mini vans that accommodate 8 pax, for ride into town and can we just catch at port, or do we need to reserve? I was even thinking of utilizing the public buses mentioned in http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/lang/en/get/kako_doci_do_dubrovnika/2112/arrival_by_boat.html

Are buses an ok way to travel?

Also, Swimming activities, I know weather unpredictable, but your thoughts? Is there such a place as a safe cliff jumping? I read all about the Australian, and not looking for anything crazy.

Thanks in advance for all your help, we so appreciate your input.

Maria

Thank you for reading my postings. Do keep in mind that many are outdated with certain particulars such as prices. Everyone claims walking the wall is a must, the views are really spectacular. Do as you wish on the wall, personally having done it so many times I am not a big promoter these days. I much prefer the cable car, the views from the top of Mt Srd (surge) are beyond words.

It is a crap shoot as far as a van for 8 waiting at the pier. It is best to reserve in advance or just take several cabs. Waiting for our local bus can often take far too much time, you must have Croatian Kuna for the fare and it stops every few blocks for passengers. Most often during the season (June-September) the bus is so crowded that several will not stop. Your time is limited, use it wisely.

Our Adriatic is not a warm body of water, you may find the sea temperatures slightly chilly in June. As for jumping off the cliffs, read about the young Australian again. Yes there are safer spots than buza bar to get into the sea. Try taking the small boat to the island of Lokrum, lovely place to swim and explore.

Enjoy!

Great advise! My daughter and I are excited to see, at least a little of Croatia! I know you can't recommend places to eat, but as our tie is limited, are there many places to grab some good local food for a quick lunch? Thanks for sharing your knowledge of your retirement home. BTW, we will be visiting from California where the beach water is cold, but I do not enjoy it, especially if the air temp is not very hot. Thanks

Maria

Great advise! My daughter and I are excited to see, at least a little of Croatia! I know you can't recommend places to eat, but as our tie is limited, are there many places to grab some good local food for a quick lunch? Thanks for sharing your knowledge of your retirement home. BTW, we will be visiting from California where the beach water is cold, but I do not enjoy it, especially if the air temp is not very hot. Thanks

Maria

Last summer was the hottest on record and we expect the same or hotter this coming summer. Water temperature normally is at its warmest in August, but this year could be different. Our Adriatic is one of the cleanest and clearest bodies of water and it's worth it just to be nearby. Many places to grab some good local food, just hit the side streets and stay off the main promenade. Smaller konabas with no sea views are usually your best choices. I do remember the Pacific, since I have lived in the Los Angeles and San Francisco areas before retiring here. It is the same here, warm air and cold water. Enjoy your time here, you will arrive on my birthday...three quarters of a century. Carol

A good day, NCL is the only other large ship scheduled. The old town will still be busy with the normal land guests in August. Enjoy your limited time here, it is a lovely town.

Thank you very much for checking for me.

Pat

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone recommend a beach to visit in Dubrovnik? We'd like to spend part of the day at the beach and the other part in town - and do the tram up the Mt.

The "beaches" are not the same as you would consider a "beach" with sand. But the water is clean and delightful.

The "beaches" are not the same as you would consider a "beach" with sand. But the water is clean and delightful.

We have pebble beaches mostly. Maybe this is why it's so clean, even with hundred people in the sea.

The sea is not cold in August, it's approx. 25°C/77°F.

mirca-brac-beach.jpg

Edited by Daniela32

We have pebble beaches mostly. Maybe this is why it's so clean, even with hundred people in the sea.

The sea is not cold in August, it's approx. 25°C/77°F.

mirca-brac-beach.jpg

That's absolutely beautiful. I'm talking to a tour company that recommended St James beach. They said they'd drop us off at the boat and then come back to get us.

We will spend 1 day in Dubrovnik on an upcoming cruise. I have read that there are still many places that do not accept Euros.

Will taxis that pick up at the dock accept Euros now?

Do restaurants and cafes accept credit cards - especially American Express? Euros? Or should I plan on paying in local currency? Average price for a lunch for 2 people?

How many Kunas will we (2 adults) need to ride cable car and to walk the wall?

If anyone has done this port recently, any advice on how many dollars we should change into Kunas?

Thanks so much!

We will spend 1 day in Dubrovnik on an upcoming cruise. I have read that there are still many places that do not accept Euros.

Will taxis that pick up at the dock accept Euros now?

Do restaurants and cafes accept credit cards - especially American Express? Euros? Or should I plan on paying in local currency? Average price for a lunch for 2 people?

How many Kunas will we (2 adults) need to ride cable car and to walk the wall?

If anyone has done this port recently, any advice on how many dollars we should change into Kunas?

Thanks so much!

Yes taxi drivers will accept Euros as well as many restaurants and shops. That being said you will not be getting a good exchange rate. The wall and cable car both accept credit cards, use them for the entrance fee. This year the wall will cost 120 Kuna per person, cable car is still showing 2015 price of 108 Kuna. Most restaurants will accept American Express, but do ask before sitting down. Average price for a meal, depends on what you choose. Fresh fish is always expensive and prices is per kilo, so ask price and weight. If you decide to exchange dollars into kuna, use any of our ATM machines as you will get the best rate there. I have lived here for eight years and still maintain my American bank account. After much trial and many errors I found using my debit card at the ATM machine will always give me the best rate. My bank charges $5.00 transaction fee, but it still is less than going inside the same bank and paying all their fees. Enjoy your time here.

Is it possible to do the seaside portion of the wall. Then maybe lunch at the Panorama cafe ( are reservations needed) then cable car. Do a little shopping in the market then out to the Buza Bar for a drink before getting back to the ship. We are in port from 7 am till 5 pm. Is the wAll tickets good for all day? And are we leaving ourselves enough time for everything? Thanks

Is it possible to do the seaside portion of the wall. Then maybe lunch at the Panorama cafe ( are reservations needed) then cable car. Do a little shopping in the market then out to the Buza Bar for a drink before getting back to the ship. We are in port from 7 am till 5 pm. Is the wAll tickets good for all day? And are we leaving ourselves enough time for everything? Thanks

The ticket is good for one visit to the wall, take as long as you need to walk it. Yes you can do the sea side only, going up at the main entrance nearest to Pile gate. Exit at Ploce gate and walk up to the cable car entrance, not far. You may want to contact the restaurant to see if you need reservations, but most do not spend a long time up there. You may not need too much time for shopping, perhaps some locally made items such as our lavender packets or dried figs or candied orange peels. Getting a table at Buza may be difficult, again depending how many ships in port and how many tourists. Yes I do believe you have enough time, but if you need to cut anything may I suggest Buza, too expensive and a major tourist trap.

Last summer hubby and I were determined to take a dip in the beautiful sea at Dubrovnik. We actually packed swim suits in our bag. After the wall, (we walked the entire length), we took the cable car to Mt Sid. We had lunch with the gorgeous view. Then we changed into our swim suits up there because there were nice spacious restrooms. We then walked to the public beach which is more like a swimming pool because it's all cement. Many locals were there. There was a ladder to get into the water safely. We each took turns taking a dip in the sea. (There were no lockers). We sat on towels we brought from the ship. The beach was near the aquarium and the tender dock.