Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

• 5 weeks later...

Dubrovniktravellady -- Thanks for a great thread and all the help. I wonder if you could give us any thoughts on our itinerary.

We will dock at Gruz on NCL Jade on June 12 (which is a Sunday). We arrive at 14:00 and leave at 21:00. It appears that the only other cruise ship in port that day is Royal Caribbean, which arrives a couple hours earlier and leaves earlier. One of our group uses a wheelchair. She can walk short distances and it folds pretty easily and can be carried over steps if necessary, but it would start to get a bit difficult for long stair flights.

Our plan is to take a cab directly to the cable car, and ride to the top to take in the views and take some photos. We understand that the top is not that accessible, so we likely will not stay long. We will walk from the cable car at the bottom and re-enter the city at the northern entrance. I understand that it is steep, but manageable with a wheelchair. We will walk the Stradun, find a cafe, and do some people watching. Maybe see the Synagogue and Knezev Dvor. We all then will walk to the Pile gate, and two (including the wheelchair user) will take a cab back to port, while the other two of us will enter the walls at the Pile entrance.

Our hope is to be up on the wall by around 17:30. We will walk counter-clockwise and either come off the wall at the Ploca entrance, or continue around to Pile. Maybe a bit more time in the old town, and then we will take a cab back to the ship.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Edited by Regguy

Congratulations your plan is very good. I know you will enjoy visiting our many historical and cultural sites. So much to see, so little time. Just walk the sea side of the wall, the rest is just roof tops and the vast majority of the 1,080 steps climbing to the highest point on the wall, Minceta Tower.

Thanks. For walking the sea side, do you think it's better to enter at Pile and walk around to Placa, or is it better to go in the other direction from Placa to Pile?

The only direction is counter clockwise, therefore you must enter at Pile. Enjoy the views, take lots of photos and remember to caption them with more than just one word - Dubrovnik.

Congratulations your plan is very good. I know you will enjoy visiting our many historical and cultural sites. So much to see, so little time. Just walk the sea side of the wall, the rest is just roof tops and the vast majority of the 1,080 steps climbing to the highest point on the wall, Minceta Tower.

Hello,

My cruise is in October. With that said I am a avid watcher of Game of Thrones and I understand there are a few tour groups that offer tours for this purpose, but is there a way to do this ON YOUR OWN?? or do you recommend a tour.

Please feel free to suggest any other options...

Thanks,

Sulma

Hello,

My cruise is in October. With that said I am a avid watcher of Game of Thrones and I understand there are a few tour groups that offer tours for this purpose, but is there a way to do this ON YOUR OWN?? or do you recommend a tour.

Please feel free to suggest any other options...

Thanks,

Sulma

I have always recommended hiring a private guide. You will experience more of our history and culture. Any guide can point out where GOT is filmed, there are only 3 or 4 special areas. You can do it on your own, your choice, since that is how most post about Dubrovnik. Interesting that I have now lived here for more than 8 years and am still finding hidden gems. Up to you how you want to spend your limited time here.

My cruise is in August and the ship doesn't leave port until 10pm.

I really want to do a tour of the wall but Thomson don't offer an excursion on that day.

How much time should I allow ? What is the best way to do it? This is my first solo cruise and so I want to be sure that I make the most of my time in Dubrovnik !

Thank you.

I really want to do a tour of the wall but Thomson don't offer an excursion on that day.

How much time should I allow ? What is the best way to do it? This is my first solo cruise and so I want to be sure that I make the most of my time in Dubrovnik !

Thank you.

Many very good private tour companies here in the old town. Please just do your research. Walking the wall, with a guide and taking photos, should take about 2 hours or just slightly more. Your arrival in August is at the height of the season, heat and humidity. Make sure you have water, sun hat and lots of good sun screen. The opening hours this year are only from 8am to 6pm daily, cost is 120 Kuna. No foreign currency and they do accept credit cards. Enjoy

Thank you for your reply. I will do some more research.

Is it easy to get a bus to the pile gate from the port?

Do you know for sure you are going to dock and not tender? Tendering is actually easier inDubrovnik because they drop you off at the gate.

Hi. If your ship docks, you can grab a taxi at the port, they will be lining up. Most will want to take you on a city tour but eventually you will get one. Share with another couple if you can. Many people match up dockside. Alternatively, there is a bus stop outside the port gate. Taxi would be at least €10, total not pp. Bus considerably cheaper. It's walkable too, bear right outside port gate, hug the waterside and climb the hill. Enter the Pile gate and turn right to UT ticket. It's a great walk around the walls. Many only walk halfway round and get down at the marina. Enjoy, Ken.

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to that. I just assumed we would dock in port.

I've just been quoted €200 for a tour which doesn't include entry to the wall and this is way out of my price range

Your cruise ship itinerary should indicate if you are docking or anchoring and tendering in. I am sure my friend, Dubrovniktravelady, could help with what your ship is doing if she knew the name of your ship and the date you were visiting. Here is a link to a cruise ship schedule.

http://www.croatiatraveller.com/southern_dalmatia/Dubrovnik/cruise-schedule.html

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to that. I just assumed we would dock in port.

I've just been quoted €200 for a tour which doesn't include entry to the wall and this is way out of my price range

We walked the wall and then took the cable car up to mount Sid ourselves. It is very easy. Get a good map and a guidebook.

It's the Thomson Celebration and Dubrovnik is where the cruise starts so I doubt if I will be tendered.

It all sounds very "doable" on your own. It will be my first solo cruise and whilst I'm used to winging it when going ashore and arranging things to do, it's a bit daunting when doing it alone.

Also I don't want other people to think ill latch onto them because I won't :):)

It's the Thomson Celebration and Dubrovnik is where the cruise starts so I doubt if I will be tendered.

It all sounds very "doable" on your own. It will be my first solo cruise and whilst I'm used to winging it when going ashore and arranging things to do, it's a bit daunting when doing it alone.

Also I don't want other people to think ill latch onto them because I won't :):)

Look on Viator. They have different types of tours of all prices. You can get an idea what's out there.

Thank you.

Thompson is always docked at our Gruz harbor. You need to check with your cruise line if they are offering a shuttle bus to the old town and the cost. You can catch our local Libertas bus from the port to old town, 1A, 1B, are the best choices. Make sure you have local currency, the bus fare is 15 Kuna and NO foreign currency accepted. Entrance to the wall is 120 Kuna only and credit cards are accepted. Enjoy

Thank you. I did ring Thomson and they said that it was a rest day and no excursions were planned for that day. I find that a bit strange as some passengers do a back2back and are on board for 2 weeks.

They also advised me to stay on the ship and not venture off incase I didn't get back in time for sail away!

Hopefully someone who is travelling soon will find out if there are any shuttle buses, otherwise I'll do as you suggest and get the bus or taxi.

Thank you. I did ring Thomson and they said that it was a rest day and no excursions were planned for that day. I find that a bit strange as some passengers do a back2back and are on board for 2 weeks.

They also advised me to stay on the ship and not venture off incase I didn't get back in time for sail away!

Hopefully someone who is travelling soon will find out if there are any shuttle buses, otherwise I'll do as you suggest and get the bus or taxi.

sod that! they can't advertise a cruise as "dubrovnik etc" and then not actually let you have any time in the place.

we also depart on celebration from dubrovnik, arrive 12 i think? so drop bags and rush off to get taxi into town and do walls before whatever time we have to be back.

We are on Costa and only have 08:00 to 13:00 in port. I really hate these short stays...especially as we have to get up early to see anything!

Can anyone suggest what we can do for this time? We are 2 adults and 2 children who are happy to walk all day or take a taxi.....as long as we get an ice cream! The cable car? Beach?

I note another ship is in port as well, will it be busy?

sod that! they can't advertise a cruise as "dubrovnik etc" and then not actually let you have any time in the place.

we also depart on celebration from dubrovnik, arrive 12 i think? so drop bags and rush off to get taxi into town and do walls before whatever time we have to be back.

Let me know how you get on please! When do you sail?