Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

Can you advise on roughly how many Kuna might be needed for a snack and coffee?

I presume shops selling anything more expensive would take credit cards, like the Walls and Cable Car, but I think I read somewhere that smaller businesses tend not to have that facility.

Thanks

Edited by Huntingdon1701

Thanks soooo much for the info, glad I asked re Cavtat, as We would have been dissapointed to get there with no knowledge of the winter closing. So let me ask you this . Does that also go for Dubrovnik? Will all things be closed there to? Thanks for your time....Joan.

Dubrovnik will begin to close down on your arrival weekend, first of November is the magic date. The cultural and historical site, wall and cable car will be open with limited hours. There will be some restaurants and shops open, again limited hours, and not a large number. Locals have been working, 7 days a week, since the season opened at Easter. They are exhausted and everyone is looking forward to winter hibernation. Two weeks earlier would be a much better time to visit, my own personal thought.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

Can you advise on roughly how many Kuna might be needed for a snack and coffee?

I presume shops selling anything more expensive would take credit cards, like the Walls and Cable Car, but I think I read somewhere that smaller businesses tend not to have that facility.

Thanks

Please do not assume, many shops and restaurants do take credit cards. That being said it is always best to ask before sitting down and ordering. Cost of coffee and snacks, that depends on where you are. Gradska Kavana is the most expensive, but the views and the krempita are worth it. Coffee can cost about 20 Kuna and I would pay any price for the krempita there! Hit one of the small spots on the side streets and coffee is 10 Kuna...take out 100 Kuna and hope you have enough, you can always hit the ATM again.

• 2 weeks later...
Good I am pleased to hear you are excited, Croatia is a beautiful country. Yes there are taxis waiting at the harbor to take your family to the old part of town. The fare is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros, but at this point in time I suggest you have only Kunas.

We have taken a tour before of Dubrovnik and then walked the walls, and wandered everywhere. Was wondering about a taxi tour to Kotor, any suggestions of what is important to see in your country and surrounding areas, we are counting the days until we get to your beautiful Country. We arrive at 12 noon and depart at 8:00PM on Vision of the Seas.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady we will be in Dubrovnik in August are their taxis at the port? we are a family of 4 the shuttle bus is about $15 each return wondered if it would be quicker and cheaper jumping in a taxi, the other question is we are booked on a game of thrones tour 1st thing in the morning just wondering if in your opinon if we would have time to do the wall and cable car i am so excited to visit Croatia.

Guess I am not up on things, what is Game of Thrones Game? Thanks!

"Game of Thrones" is a series on HBO based on a series of books by George R. R. Martin. It is now in it's 6th season. Part of the filming is done in Dubrovnik. We were there in 2014 and while walking the wall looked down and saw.....some of the extras sitting around waiting for the filming to start. Got some pix of them looking up at us :D. Later we looked down and saw an area being transformed into a street market area for filming. Watching the show in 2015 we could pick out the scenes with the area we saw. Because of the popularity of the show there are now tours for fans to places where the filming takes place.

<<<Karen>>>

Guess I am not up on things, what is Game of Thrones Game? Thanks!

Guess that I also am not up on things since I have never seen Game of Thrones. Although some of it is filmed here, I have also never seen the filming. Normally there are just far too many crowds and I cannot put up them these days.

Hi. We're going to Dubrovnik on a cruise in august and wondered if anyone could help me with a couple of things. Firstly, we'll be on the Norwegian spirit, which I understand docks outside the city. Can anyone advise on the best and cheapest way to get into the city? Also, what are the main things you should go and see? Thanks

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Ms. Dubrovnik Travel Lady

You provided great advice (including telling me to eat Krempita! yum!!!) a few years back for our one day visit to your fair city. We are now approaching retirement and are considering living abroad for at least the first ten years until DH is old enough for medicare - I will be 60 and he will be 55 presuming we get to stop work when we hope to. I seem to recall your family was from Crotia so perhaps that made becoming an ExPat easier. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on how well two gay married men might find retirement there? If you would prefer to reply offline, my email address is bigncbear@aol.com

Thanks so much!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

We are a family of 5 arriving Sunday 14th August, having read many posts on this thread i understand there will be plenty of taxi's available at the harbour to take us into the city rather than paying for ship transfers.

However how abundant are the larger family sized cars (6/7 seater) or would be more likely to have to get 2 separate ones, if this is the case the ship transfer may be a better option for us.

I agree with you, the ship shuttle bus would be the better option. While we do have a few larger mini vans, they are normally reserved prior and waiting at the dock. Use the ship shuttle and spend your time in the old town. We are experiencing very high heat and high humidity with August expected to be worse. Sun hat, sun screen and water bottles are necessary. You can refill your bottle at our Onofrio fountain with cool clean water coming from the ancient Roman aqueduct. Enjoy!

Hi

We are a family of 5 arriving Sunday 14th August, having read many posts on this thread i understand there will be plenty of taxi's available at the harbour to take us into the city rather than paying for ship transfers.

However how abundant are the larger family sized cars (6/7 seater) or would be more likely to have to get 2 separate ones, if this is the case the ship transfer may be a better option for us.

What we did in your situation is just grab 2-3 others from your ship and split two taxis. Unless you are off the ship at a most unusual hour, there will almost always be another couple willing to share a taxi! Either find someone from your roll call or do it spontaneously in the gangway or even outside! Much faster and cheaper! :) Edited by Terpnut

Absolutely there are car rental agencies at the harbor. However it would be wise for you to book something prior and request delivery to your ship/dock. Also may I suggest you write to Grigic Winery to see if they have finished repairing from the devastating wild fire. Our winery here is nothing compared to what they have in Napa, so expect very simple and no extras. The wine, however, is as always outstanding!

Unfortunately when I try to book on-line with various large car rentals chains, none give a location "port" or "harbor", I only can choose between "airport" and "downtown" or "town Center".

Can you give a name of a company that is at the cruise port and/or the exact adddress of the cruise port - maybe it has another town name and does not figure under Dubrovnik ? We will be there on Sept 13 on Equinox.

thank you

Unfortunately when I try to book on-line with various large car rentals chains, none give a location "port" or "harbor", I only can choose between "airport" and "downtown" or "town Center".

Can you give a name of a company that is at the cruise port and/or the exact adddress of the cruise port - maybe it has another town name and does not figure under Dubrovnik ? We will be there on Sept 13 on Equinox.

thank you

Book downtown and request delivery to your ship in the Gruz harbor.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confirm as we're coming next week, that we can get a bus to the Pile Gate where we can pick up the Cabrio city tour bus?

I want to walk around the wall and maybe go up on the cable car but my friends don't as the husband has limited mobility. Does the bus return to the same point and would it be better for me to do the walls first or the bus tour?

Our ship , Thomson Celebration, doesn't leave until 10pm but we would like to be back onboard by 6pm at the latest.

Is this doable?

Thanks

Dubrovniklady- -

I thought of that this morning! Some people get spam if they list their email address as it should be written so I cram mine together & didn't think about the differing email addresses worldwide when I wrote the post. My email name is: silkncense. Combine that with the address: @aol.com

Sorry about that! Hope that is much better.

Just to confirm as we're coming next week, that we can get a bus to the Pile Gate where we can pick up the Cabrio city tour bus?

I want to walk around the wall and maybe go up on the cable car but my friends don't as the husband has limited mobility. Does the bus return to the same point and would it be better for me to do the walls first or the bus tour?

Our ship , Thomson Celebration, doesn't leave until 10pm but we would like to be back onboard by 6pm at the latest.

Is this doable?

Thanks

Here is the link to the Cabrio bus, it does show all the stops and one is located in the Gruz harbor. Yes you can catch the local bus, however it is very busy and be prepared for one or more to pass by without stopping. There is only one Cabrio bus and it does stay on schedule, be at the local stop early with money in hand.

Decide on walking the wall upon arrival, minimum time to walk the entire circuit can take up to 2 hours. Water, good walking shoes, sun screen and I personally never go out without a fun sun hat. The sun here is brutal, it is August and we are experiencing high heat with very high humidity.

http://libertasdubrovnik.com/cabrio-bus/

Thank you.

If there's only one bus, does it get very busy? It would be a shame to find that we couldn't get on!

You are coming in August, expect everything to be very busy. Take a good look at the route and see if boarding at the harbor may be your better choice. You can always go to the old part of town later. Depends on how early you are off the ship and how close is the schedule. When I said the buses were busy, I meant the local bus. Your better option to reach the old town is to use a taxi, they will be waiting at the harbor and the cost is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros.

Hi Dubrovnik Travel Lady

We have friends arriving in Dubrovnik on Sept 16 and they have a ship's tour in the morning to see the Old City, but they would like to hire a private car to take them to see some of the countryside in the afternoon.

They would like their drive to also be a knowable guide.

Thanks for any information you can give me. I can give you my email if this helps.

Thanks for all you add to this site.

Linda

Hi Dubrovnik Travel Lady

We have friends arriving in Dubrovnik on Sept 16 and they have a ship's tour in the morning to see the Old City' date=' but they would like to hire a private car to take them to see some of the countryside in the afternoon.

They would like their drive to also be a knowable guide.

Thanks for any information you can give me. I can give you my email if this helps.

Thanks for all you add to this site.

Linda[/quote']

I am so sorry but the rules of cruise critic do not permit me to recommend any private guides/drivers in Dubrovnik. What a shame since I do, of course, know slightly more than those many who have only been here for a few short hours. Good luck!

I am so sorry but the rules of cruise critic do not permit me to recommend any private guides/drivers in Dubrovnik. What a shame since I do, of course, know slightly more than those many who have only been here for a few short hours. Good luck!

Thank you - I understand. They are contacting the one that has been mentioned here on cruise critic. If he isn't available, I suggested they take their chances with a taxi driver. I think they would be happy to just go to Cavtat.

Linda