Jewellery Purchases in Ports

Hi

Doing an East and Western Caribbean on Freedom in September.

This includes

Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen,, Cozumel, CocoCay, St Thomas and St Maarten. It is our 30th wedding anniversary and have been promised some jewels. Does anyone have any ideas which are the best ports for purchasing such items. Are there any outlets that people are aware of that are good value.

Scotfi thanks in advance.

Hi

This includes

Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen,, Cozumel, CocoCay, St Thomas and . It is our 30th wedding anniversary and have been promised some jewels. Does anyone have any ideas which are the best ports for purchasing such items. Are there any outlets that people are aware of that are good value.

We have been Cruising to the Carribean for about 25 yrs and without a doubt St Maarten.

We purchased many watches & Jewels from (select) stores and never had a problem.

Hi

My SIL purchased a ring in Cozumel from said store on returning home she had it valued and it was worth double what she paid for it. We think there must have been a problem with currency and exchange rate.

Scotfi

St. Maarten for sure!!! I have been there twice and both times multiple people in our groups found the "best deal/value" while in st maarten. Also, a few shops, as well as in Curacao will offer you a cold beer while shopping in their stores. (Curacao was a can with a polar bear on it, and st maarten was a Carib)

While on a Western Caribbean in Dec. 07 purchased diamonds in Jamaica (Montego Bay I believe). At the time the shopping advisor on board said best deals on either the Western or Eastern routes. Purchased a red and blue diamond necklace. Had it appraised when we returned and (no exaggeration) it was valued at 4 times what we paid.

Also bought a Seiko watch for about half of what we were seeing in the states.

Things could have changed since then but that is my experience.

Hi

This includes

Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen,, Cozumel, CocoCay, St Thomas and St Maarten. It is our 30th wedding anniversary and have been promised some jewels. Does anyone have any ideas which are the best ports for purchasing such items. Are there any outlets that people are aware of that are good value.

In December I bought a diamond ring (2 carets) and a dimond bracelet (3 carets) in Grand Cayman. Had it appraised for more that 3 times what I paid. The jeweler that did the appraisal said I got an amazing deal when I told him what I paid. He also said the diamonds were "very high quality"

When I called my insurance guy to have the pieces insured, he told me that he has a client that buys diamonds every year on vacation to the caribbean because of the deals.

Diamonds International seemed very expensive compared to the other jewelery shops in Cayman. Be careful if you go there.

Have purchased jewelry in both St. Thomas and St. Martens. Got good deals in both places. Bought diamonds in St. Thomas at a place called Imperial Jewelers. It's a small store but got great deals, had them appraised at least twice the purchase prices. Just bought a beautiful white and blue diamond ring and necklace in Aruba from Kays jewlery. No connection to the chain in the states. They also have a store in St. Matens. Just so you know, Imperial Jewelers is where the locals purchase their jewelry in St. Thomas also a few of the major league basketball players have made purchases there also. (So I have been told.) You could negotiate at both places and they treated us very well. Have fun shopping.:D

Hi

Thanks for the help if I make as good a deal as some of you guys I will be very happy. I am sure I will have a great time trying. Hope you all enjoy your next cruise.

Scotfi

Another vote for St Martin.

Some words of advice.

Buy with a credit card and make sure that the receipt states EXACTLY what it is that you just bought. including Carat Weight & Quality (AGS or GIA certification) That way if there is a problem you can dispute it.

Do some homework before you leave. Know what a 1 carat VS1 Very Good Cut G color diamond cost, (about $5,300). Try BlueNile.com. Know approximately what you want to buy before you leave and know what it would cost from your local jeweler. Then enjoy the hunt!

Also remember, there are a lot of different appraisals. An Insurance appraisal is totally different from a inheritance appraisal. The real value of a jewel is fair market value, what you can buy it for on line, at home or in paradise!

In my opinion Ballerina is the best place to buy jewelry. They have stores in St Thomas (James) and in St Marten (Tony). I have been buying jewelry there for years and always been very happy with my purchases. They also have some unique jewelry that you won't see in other store. Hope you have a great time shopping!!!

In my opinion Ballerina is the best place to buy jewelry. They have stores in St Thomas (James) and in St Marten (Tony). I have been buying jewelry there for years and always been very happy with my purchases. They also have some unique jewelry that you won't see in other store. Hope you have a great time shopping!!!
I second your recommendation. We have been dealing with James since 1996 and have gotten great deals. Also have seen many posts on Cruise Critic from satisfied Ballerina customers. Great deals and love the unique pieces -- they have a fabulous jewelry designer.

Years ago I got a great deal on a tanzanite and diamond ring in St. Thomas. However, not sure I'd do it again . . .

First, if you're going to buy jewelry in the Carib, do your homework before you go. Figure out what your gem of choice costs per carat, price some items you like in local jewelry stores, value on Ebay, etc. How do you know if you're getting a good deal if you don't really know what a good deal is?

Second, you always take a risk that you aren't getting what you paid for and it will be REALLY hard to return the item. I realize there is some protection if you use a ship-approved store, but in all cases, you're a long way from the store when you find out the emerald isn't really an emerald, the diamonds are of poor quality, etc. Just saying.

Third, in many cases, you are making a pressure-filled and impulse purchase. You have to decide before the ship sails and the store owners know that. That's not the case in your home town -- you can always think about it and come back tomorrow.

My mother was in this position on an Alaska cruise a decade ago. She fell in love with a gold nugget ring but the ship was ready to sail and she couldn't make up her mind. The store owner gave her his card and said, "if you still want it when you get home, call us." She thought about that ring for the rest of the cruise and, upon arriving home, called them. They shipped it to her for free (no shipping charge, that is) and, b/c it was being shipped out of state, no sales tax. So a great deal all around.

BTW, if the store won't agree to honor the same deal if you call back days later (after you've sailed) . . . run, do not walk, out of the store. And don't look back.

We got really, really burned in "Elite" in Cozumel... a place recommended by a tour guide... a tour booked through RCCL.... so be careful! The store was not listed on the flyer handed out by RCCL.... so our very expensive lesson!

We have been Cruising to the Carribean for about 25 yrs and without a doubt St Maarten.

We purchased many watches & Jewels from (select) stores and never had a problem.

I agree with this. I have gotten some good deals on David Yurman and John Hardy at Azura...they have several stores.

I see you're sailing July 4th! We are too on Explorer!

Yes we are and I can't wait!!! I am traveling with my husband, son (23) and daughter (15). Now it's finally starting to get close.

For brand name stuff, we've been buying from:

jewels at AH Riise in St Thomas

artistic jewelers in St Martin (not St Thomas)

Art of Time - St Martin

for probably 15+ years. Art of time is owned by artistic (used to own it in st thomas, now different owner) and jewels is very reputable.

I bought a braclet and matching ring w/ sapphires, (John Hardy) on Grand Caymans. Got a screamin deal at diamonds international. Lost 1 sapphhire in the ring, no problem to get it fixed. I have only had good dealings with them.

I for got to tell you the name of the jewlery in Cayman. It was called Magnums. It was a short walk from were the tenders dock. The thing I really liked about this store is they have pieces that no one else has. The salesmans brother is the designer. It is a family business.

Archived