Jewellery Purchases in Ports

Years ago I got a great deal on a tanzanite and diamond ring in St. Thomas. However, not sure I'd do it again . . .

First, if you're going to buy jewelry in the Carib, do your homework before you go. Figure out what your gem of choice costs per carat, price some items you like in local jewelry stores, value on Ebay, etc. How do you know if you're getting a good deal if you don't really know what a good deal is?

Second, you always take a risk that you aren't getting what you paid for and it will be REALLY hard to return the item. I realize there is some protection if you use a ship-approved store, but in all cases, you're a long way from the store when you find out the emerald isn't really an emerald, the diamonds are of poor quality, etc. Just saying.

Third, in many cases, you are making a pressure-filled and impulse purchase. You have to decide before the ship sails and the store owners know that. That's not the case in your home town -- you can always think about it and come back tomorrow.

My mother was in this position on an Alaska cruise a decade ago. She fell in love with a gold nugget ring but the ship was ready to sail and she couldn't make up her mind. The store owner gave her his card and said, "if you still want it when you get home, call us." She thought about that ring for the rest of the cruise and, upon arriving home, called them. They shipped it to her for free (no shipping charge, that is) and, b/c it was being shipped out of state, no sales tax. So a great deal all around.

BTW, if the store won't agree to honor the same deal if you call back days later (after you've sailed) . . . run, do not walk, out of the store. And don't look back.

Actually, that is not completely true. On one occasion I was interested in a ring and phones calls an negotiations went on for about two weeks after I returned home before I closed the deal. All you have to do is get a business card and the store SKU number for the piece that you are interested in. I also try to contact the store within one to two days after returning home before they forget who I am and what I am interested in. I would never buy if I was not completely ready and comfortable just because the ship's sailing time was getting close.

And to the OP, my vote goes to St. Maarten. St. Thomas is also good but I have found that the shops on St. Maarten seem to me more willing to negotiate a better price. But as someone else said, never take the first price that is given to you. If you are not happy head for the door and see what happens.

We agree with the recommendation for St. Maarten. We have been purchasing jewelry from D.K. Gems International for years and would highly recommend them. The quality, prices and service are phenomenal.

The store is located on Front St and is not too far from where the water taxi drops you off (go one block north and then one block west).

We have been purchasing from them for years and our upon our return the jewelry has apprasied between three and four times what we paid.

We have not bought diamonds, but did buy Mikimoto pearls in Grand Cayman at Kirk Freeport. Very good deal and they were appraised way above what we paid at our local jeweler. Also bought Mikimoto pearl earrings in Aruba at Kays Jewelery at very good deal. Have been very satisfied with both purchases. When we were in Columbia we looked at all the emerald stores and I think they were really overpriced. Found a small emerald store off the beaten path and found exactly what I wanted. Just a small gold bracelet with a emerald in the middle. Not gaudy at all, just classey and it was appraised much more than I paid. Remember the stores the cruise lines recommend always get a kick back. We have done better on our own. Do our research and know what we want. Maybe next time I will shop for diamonds!!!

stay away from diamonds intl...see better usiess bureau if you dont believe me

It is strange that if you read posts on Diamonds International, posters cite many problems with them. If the BBB also does not rate them well, why does RCC push them in every port?

Based on what I have read on CC, I would not buy from them.

So, can anyone tell me how much I could save by buying in the Caribbean?

Lets say there is a 1 ct. diamond solitaire ring (I, VS2) that I can get at home for $4500. How much could I expect to pay in the Caribbean?

that is really almost impossible to answer as every diamond is different...it isn't like you are buying an iPod....they are the same whether you are at target, best buy or where ever....

figure that jewelry retails for at LEAST double the cost......(gold has a REALLY high mark up, diamonds not as high.) and is it 10K, 14K, 18K, platinum????

i got a rainbow topaz pendant (this is a treated stone) for 25 bucks. I worked for a dept store with a nice jewelry dept and the cheapest i could have gotten it for was about 80 bucks (and that was a sale, less an extra percent less my discount-one of those super special sales!) so i got a deal. even the jewelry manager said it was a deal!

you have to set a budget.....and see how close you can come.

i also think the best prices-on liquor too-are in St. Maarten. And the 'recommended stores' are paying to be that...and are giving kickbacks, deals and free stuff to the shopping guide....

HTH..i am sure others will have different opinions....

It is strange that if you read posts on Diamonds International, posters cite many problems with them. If the BBB also does not rate them well, why does RCC push them in every port?

Based on what I have read on CC, I would not buy from them.

money...RC gets lots of advertising dollars etc from them.

Just be carefull and make sure your really are getting a "deal". I am always amused when I see people posting about the appraisals they have done when they get back to the states. As someone else has pointed out, appraisals are worthless except to establish a value for insurance or estate settlement purposes. An appraisal does not tell you how much the item you bought is worth, the market does that. The item is "worth" what you paid for it, or what someone else is willing to buy it from you for, otherwise known as "fair market value".

Appraisals mean nothing when buying Jewlery. Market value is the only important value. If you can buy a 1 carat VS2 I Ideal cut for $3,800 in NYC and can buy the same ring for $900 (4x less) in the Carribean buy it in the Carrabean. The reality is your local jewler can most likely match any price you come across in the islands.

The fact is the cost of jewlery is fairly stable around the world. An ounce of gold in India is the same as in Waco. Diamonds are not cheaper in Amsterdam where they are cut than in New York. Taxes and duties can save you 5-10% or a couple of hundred bucks but that is all. A diamond is a diamond whether it is in NYC, Moscow, Tel Aviv, Amsterdam or St Maartin.

Hi

Doing an East and Western Caribbean on Freedom in September.

This includes

Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen,, Cozumel, CocoCay, St Thomas and St Maarten. It is our 30th wedding anniversary and have been promised some jewels. Does anyone have any ideas which are the best ports for purchasing such items. Are there any outlets that people are aware of that are good value.

Scotfi thanks in advance.

I found the diamond prices in both St Maarten and St thomas to be high and the quality of stones I was shown were pretty poor. I had done a lot of homework before I went. I bought in Dubai and they have been appraised at 150% more then I paid for them! Time to book a cruise on Brilliance. I'll happily pass on the name of my jeweller if you do ever happen to go there;)

We always have had luck at Imperial in St. Thomas. (I still get a Christmas note from them every year). I also had a clasp break on a bracelet that I purchased from them. They were very good about fixing it (for free) and sending it back on a timely basis. I'd buy from them again. Jan

STAY AWAY FROM DIAMONDS INTERNATIONAL!!!!!! They sold me a diamond with inclusions which had broken the surface and further indicated that they were NOT ANNOTATED ON THE EGL CERTFICATE I RECEIVED FROM DIAMONDS INTERNATIONAL!!! It took months to get a refund...and BEWARE...RCCL promotes their shopping info sessions onboard as RCCL employees...THEY ARE NOT. They are RCCL Onboard Media and are NOT affiliated to RCCL and RCCL WILL NOT BACK UP WHAT Onboard Media PRESENTS OR GUARANTEES. This diamond was very expensive.

I have found great deals in St Thomas at DYNASTY's just after disembarking the ship.

STAY AWAY FROM DIAMONDS INTERNATIONAL!!!!!! They sold me a diamond with inclusions which had broken the surface and further indicated that they were NOT ANNOTATED ON THE EGL CERTFICATE I RECEIVED FROM DIAMONDS INTERNATIONAL!!! It took months to get a refund...and BEWARE...RCCL promotes their shopping info sessions onboard as RCCL employees...THEY ARE NOT. They are RCCL Onboard Media and are NOT affiliated to RCCL and RCCL WILL NOT BACK UP WHAT Onboard Media PRESENTS OR GUARANTEES. This diamond was very expensive.

I have found great deals in St Thomas at DYNASTY's just after disembarking the ship.

EGL or "European" Certification is a less expensive certification company and is likewise less accurate and gives diamonds a higher rating than A.G.S. - American Gem Society or G.I.A. - The Gemological Institute of America. EGL & IGI certifications are often used by dealers hoping to pass off a lower grade diamond.

Again appraisals should not be used to validate what you paid for a Diamond.

There is currently no legal educational or training requirements one must have to appraise diamonds or jewelry. Appraisals can be done by anyone, even someone with no training. Appraisals are often done by the salesperson selling the diamond. If you read the fine print, virtually all appraisals include legal disclaimers to protect the appraiser from legal recourse if the appraisal is inaccurate. Disclaimers usually state the appraisal is no guarantee of quality and is only the opinion of the appraiser. Many people who buy uncertified diamonds usually pay to much. What often appears to be a unbelievable low price usually turns out to be a diamond that has been inaccurately graded. It is not uncommon for a diamond appraisal to be inaccurate by two, three or more grades when the diamond is sent to G.I.A. for accurate evaluation.

Well I would go shopping with you as you've named a couple of my favorite stores! A huge YES to A. H. Riise in St. Thomas, and Artistic in St. Maarten (NOT St. Thomas).

I think A.H. Riise is still the authorized dealer for Rolex in St. Thomas. (Remember back when it was Little Switzerland?)

If one wants a great selection of David Yurman and other designer jewelry, A.H. Riise is good. ...and A. H. Riise is so dark and cool inside~!!!!!

For brand name stuff, we've been buying from:

jewels at AH Riise in St Thomas

artistic jewelers in St Martin (not St Thomas)

Art of Time - St Martin

for probably 15+ years. Art of time is owned by artistic (used to own it in st thomas, now different owner) and jewels is very reputable.

• 1 year later...

Hello - I was on Royal Caribbean last week and of course was misled into thinking the cruise Shopping Guru worked on the ship and had the passengers interests at heart. Now coming home, I am reading horrible things about Diamonds International. I bought 2 pairs of Diamond Earrings that the list price was $3,300 for both. We negotiated down to $2,800. We brought the earrings to our local jeweler where I got my wedding ring and he said one pair of earrings had some inclusions and were not the correct ratings. He said he believes our discounted priced of $2,800 was $600 too much.

Has anyone tried to use the cruise lines 60 day guarantee if you purchase through one of their recommended stores at port? Diamonds Internation has such bad feedback all over the net. I am wondering if I should now spend $500 to get the earrings appraised by a Certified Gemologist to try to fight Diamonds International to return these earrings?

I know this might be worth the fight had I bought much more expensive jewelery and I know these cruise lines and Diamonds Int'l are counting on people just giving up. But I am a fighter on principle, however my insurance company doesn't need a new appraisal - I wanted to try to fight Royal Caribbean and their Media company 60-day guarantee. However, I've read that this is a useless guarantee also. Any suggestions? I hate that now I am reading I could have gotten these for 60% off had we just tried to walk away. I am sick to my stomach. Why all the games?

Make sure you check prices stateside first and then get the BEST price and then negotiate.

AHRiise for David Yurman or Artistic in St Maarten and for sure Beverly's in St Thomas! Amit is one of the nicest people and one of the best jewelers we have ever dealt with. He is fair and will order something he does not carry. He will stand behind each piece of jewelry he sells. I have sent him many friends over the years and now they all go back to him for anything they need, or want. He is honest and will be truthful about anything in his store. Sorry to go on but we will not shop anywhere else for diamonds or pearls.

Happy Sailing!!!!

I didn't have to fight hard and got my money back. I won't use ship recommendations any more. This time I did not use their recommendation and bought a piece of jewelry on my own. When I got back home and had it appraised it was $1150 more than I paid for it.

Many years ago I had another problem in Bermuda. got home and had it appraised it was not 18K gold. I called their store where I had received a 60 day refund agreement and returned it.

Not saying that everyone gets ripped off at the recommended stores. I personally have just not had a good experience.

Definitely St. Thomas!! The island is practically nothing but jewelry stores! My husband and I got engaged on our cruise 6 years ago, and I swear, we went to practically every jewelry store there was, looking for the exact ring I had in mind. We ended up getting a princess cut diamond (slightly over 1 ct) and a setting that has another 1 ct worth of smaller diamonds surrounding the larger diamond and on the band. We got it for $4,000--appraised for $8,500 at home! Plus, when you bring home an unset diamond, they consider it a "rock," so you don't have to pay taxes (??forgetting the word of what you would have to pay to bring it through customs), so keep in mind I would have had to pay another $680 in sales tax, so we saved more than $5,000 buying the ring in St. Thomas than if we bought the same ring in the states.

We got it for $4,000--appraised for $8,500 at home! Plus, when you bring home an unset diamond, they consider it a "rock," so you don't have to pay taxes (??forgetting the word of what you would have to pay to bring it through customs), so keep in mind I would have had to pay another $680 in sales tax, so we saved more than $5,000 buying the ring in St. Thomas than if we bought the same ring in the states.

Well, you definitely did save the sales tax, however, jewelry should always appraise for at least twice the purchase price, so you really didn't save more than $5,000. Just because it appraised at $8,500 at home does not mean you could get that amount for it if you tried to sell it.

Just a note - the "approved" stores recommended by the ship simply means that these stores pay or give a kick-back to the ship for recommending them, not much more.

Yes, jewelry appraisals on good jewelry will always be quite a bit higher than what you paid. This is to allow for the insurance companies' practice of offering a replacement value at their discounted price, which is usually a percentage of the apprailsed value. Not all companies do this and it is prohibited by some state laws. But it is a common practice. I lost a 3/4 caret daimond appraised and insured for $3600. The insurer offered a replacement stone of "like value" from their discount wholesale supplier for $2500. My jeweler said he did not trust that company to give a an actual "like "value" stone. So he replaced my diamond at his cost so that I had a quality stone back. So, you should always have a higher appraised value than your cost. Appraisal isn't what you could sell it for either.

Yes, but I was looking at a similar style/size ring in the states, and it was around $10,000, so we actually saved $7,000 more buying it at St. Thomas than I would have had I bought it at my local jeweler's--despite what it appraised at.

I have to agree to stay away from Diamonds International! They do give you the hard sell and offer all these "fantasic discounts" through this presentation on the cruise. While in St. Thomas, my husband also bought me a necklace at DI (the engagement ring at a smaller jeweler), and I wouldn't say that we were "scammed" or anything, but I certainly don't feel like we saved any money at DI.

Yes, but I was looking at a similar style/size ring in the states, and it was around $10,000, so we actually saved $7,000 more buying it at St. Thomas than I would have had I bought it at my local jeweler's--despite what it appraised at.

Great deal, then, if it was the IDENTICAL cut/color/clarity - these things vary widely in diamonds and size means nothing. Remember when we were diamond shopping at our neighborhood (very trusted) jeweler. I noted that another merchant had stones twice the size but much cheaper - our jeweler informed us that we could, of course, get a much larger stone but we would have to shop elsewhere since he would not carry "Miami Beach" stones as he put it. Had to laugh as I had a coworker at the time who was always flashing her 3+ carat stone - with a visible inclusion . . . .

Archived