Is ship's water safe to drink?

Tangocherie

I was sailing on the Spirit last February and regularly drank the water in our room's bathroom. There were no warnings that the water was not potable. Three days before the end of the cruise the water in our room took on a yellow, brownish tint.

I advised the pursers desk of the problem and was told that it wasn't a good idea to drink the water in the stateroom. First time I have ever heard of this. What gives with ship's water? Is it safe or not? Should there not be warnings if the water is not potable?

I was sailing on the Spirit last February and regularly drank the water in our room's bathroom. There were no warnings that the water was not potable. Three days before the end of the cruise the water in our room took on a yellow, brownish tint.

I advised the pursers desk of the problem and was told that it wasn't a good idea to drink the water in the stateroom. First time I have ever heard of this. What gives with ship's water? Is it safe or not? Should there not be warnings if the water is not potable?

Same thing happened to us on the Triumph.

All of the domestic water on the ship is chlorinated per CDC Vessel Sanitation Program rules. The brownish tinge may have been from some sediment that was loosened by routine operations such as changing-over to a new tank or starting a piece of machinery in the fresh water system. Did you get sick?

Ship's water is safe. Crew did tell me not to drink the water from bathroom tap though. Maybe they know that the drain plumbing in the room above can leak into your water? :D

You are drinking what was once SeaWater, notice you taste no salt at all that is because the ship filters it and makes it purer than any water you can buy or pump at home.

Also realize, the boat carries no fresh water except for water in bottles you buy, HENCE every single thing made on the boat is made from filtered salt water and after the filter process again is cleaner than anything you can buy etc.

Now if you saw the water discolored that is signs of like the previous poster mentioned sediment, which can come from numerous things.

Tanks being low will cause them to pick up sediment, filters changed improperly etc etc etc.....

If it were my cabin i would escalate the problem beyond the guy cleaning my room as they mostly dont understand that is a problem and will like your guy did just give you a lame answer.

If they didnt give me an eta on fixing it I would insist they provide my cabin with FREE bottled water, regardless if I needed it or not.

Sometimes you can just run the water till all the sediment washes away and forget about it. but it is a common plumbing issue.

Ship's water is safe. Crew did tell me not to drink the water from bathroom tap though. Maybe they know that the drain plumbing in the room above can leak into your water? :D

The drain above can not leak into your running water. The 2 systems are not even part of each other.

Water delivering pipes do not touch in any way drain pipes. The closest these 2 pipes come into contact with each other is where the water comes out of your faucet which is the END of the water delivery pipes and into the drain which is the beginning of the drain pipes.

You are drinking what was once SeaWater, notice you taste no salt at all that is because the ship filters it and makes it purer than any water you can buy or pump at home.

Also realize, the boat carries no fresh water except for water in bottles you buy, HENCE every single thing made on the boat is made from filtered salt water and after the filter process again is cleaner than anything you can buy etc.

Now if you saw the water discolored that is signs of like the previous poster mentioned sediment, which can come from numerous things.

Tanks being low will cause them to pick up sediment, filters changed improperly etc etc etc.....

If it were my cabin i would escalate the problem beyond the guy cleaning my room as they mostly dont understand that is a problem and will like your guy did just give you a lame answer.

If they didnt give me an eta on fixing it I would insist they provide my cabin with FREE bottled water, regardless if I needed it or not.

Sometimes you can just run the water till all the sediment washes away and forget about it. but it is a common plumbing issue.

You said this well, but, ships do routinely take on fresh water at certain ports. Just wanted to add that.

The drain above can not leak into your running water. The 2 systems are not even part of each other.

Water delivering pipes do not touch in any way drain pipes. The closest these 2 pipes come into contact with each other is where the water comes out of your faucet which is the END of the water delivery pipes and into the drain which is the beginning of the drain pipes.

I did have the smiley on there, didn't I? :D

All of the domestic water on the ship is chlorinated per CDC Vessel Sanitation Program rules. The brownish tinge may have been from some sediment that was loosened by routine operations such as changing-over to a new tank or starting a piece of machinery in the fresh water system. Did you get sick?

Fortunately we did not get sick. The plumber came around twice and suggested it was a sediment problem. At first, the pursers desk did not want to give us free bottled water but finally gave in after my insistance.

What puzzles me is the pursers suggestion that it is NEVER a good idea to drink the tap water from the stateroom. If that were the case, would it not warrent some type of warning? I would have appreciated having been told by a member of the crew, if in fact there was not a health problem with this issue, that I had nothing to worry about. If the water had a tint caused only by unharmfull sediment, it would have been nice to know.

Ship's water is safe. ===> Always. HAS to be.

Crew did tell me not to drink the water from bathroom tap though.

Maybe they know that the drain plumbing in the room above can leak into your water? :D

And maybe they want to sell you Bottled Water(highly over-rated!) at $$$ per bottle.

Then don't drink the water from the bathroom. Bring a few water bottles and refill them from the taps on Lido; I LOVE to drink water and did this throughout our recent cruise....worked-out great!

I enjoy some fresh lemon along with the water from the dispenser in Lido deck restaurant. Water actually tastes very good and has no after taste, unlike our water here at home. I would rather drink water on cruise ship than be at home and drink water here! :D

If I remember correctly. I think some of the older Fantasy class ships had a flaw in the system (or substandard plumbing) for passengers state rooms. Something that could only be corrected by dry-dock. Nothing life threatening, just odor and color.

Normally the water is just find, in fact better than you could at home.

However, a year or so ago..I remember multiple posts about the Fantasy, Triumph about the water quality.

I'm pretty sure those have been upgraded and updated since than.

Fortunately we did not get sick. The plumber came around twice and suggested it was a sediment problem. At first, the pursers desk did not want to give us free bottled water but finally gave in after my insistance.

What puzzles me is the pursers suggestion that it is NEVER a good idea to drink the tap water from the stateroom. If that were the case, would it not warrent some type of warning? I would have appreciated having been told by a member of the crew, if in fact there was not a health problem with this issue, that I had nothing to worry about. If the water had a tint caused only by unharmfull sediment, it would have been nice to know.

That was just his personal opinion just like it is my personal opinion to never drink discolored water unless there is no other option.

I am sure the water is tested daily and passes all test, but my dad worked as water plant supervisor for 30 yrs and I know about testing water.

Someone mentioned on a thread earlier that they were told to order water from room service instead of drinking from the room tap. I think all their water tastes off, it's too filtered so I take my own. No way I'd drink that bathroom water. LOL

Archived