Which dining option would be better for us?

tropiclvrs

I'm not certain which dining option we should do on our RCCL cruise...Can you offer some advice?

We have a DS (4yrs) & DD (2yrs) that will be cruising with us. We have main dining currently, but I'm considering switching to My Time Dining. The main reason would be so that we don't miss the sailaways trying to get ready for dinner. Also, I'm not sure if sharing a table with others would be a good idea for us. DD has a limited attention span sitting at a dining table so I don't want to ruin anyone else's meal. After she's done eating, she want out!

If we decide on main dining and are in a larger table, do they put families together with similar aged children?

Thanks in advance!

I would hate not to have tablemates...they are what makes dining special! They will try to put "like minded" folks together and families with kids together. Sometimes, kids behave better when others are around!!!

If you decide on traditional, definitely do "main" seating...that's best for kids. You don't have to "miss sailaway" if you budget your time...

You can certainly do MTD, but if you want to see the shows, you'll still have to budget your time, since the shows revolve around traditional dining times....

We have a 4 1/2 yr old and have always done the late seating except for once, when we did the main seating and hated it. We did miss alot of sail aways from port and felt we had to cut our afternoon short to get ready for dinner. We just felt too rushed.

Our daughter goes full throttle all day on a cruise and then we have a late (4:00 - 5:00) nap so she's fine at dinner. Anyway, if the late seating is too late, I would definitly do the MTD. I for one like just family at our table so we can just enjoy family time.

CB at Sea, you never took young kids on a cruise, if you had, you would understand. ;)

To the OP - I would take the My Time Dining in a heart beat. We had always been lucky and have always sat alone, UNTIL, this past cruise on Independence. My TA sat us with a childless couple. I felt soooo bad for them. I spent most of the meal apologizing. :(

A large table means a longer dining experience. When I am with the kids, my goal is to eat and get out.

So yes, I would do My Time Dining or even My Time FAMILY Dining. That's the option where they feed the kids in under 45 minutes and Adventure Ocean comes and gets them. But you youngest is 2, so she would be under the age minimum for Adventure Ocean.

I have to agree with cruisinmama. The anytime dining works really well with my family. I still get the dining room experience and the meal tends to be a little shorter. Also since we get a table to ourselves I don't feel like we are bothering anyone else.

On one cruise with traditional dining we got placed at a larger table with another family - but the kids were teenagers! All of mine were under 6 at the time. We didn't have anything in common.

We traveled with our almost 3 year old son and we had main dining on the Freedom of the Seas. We requested a table just for the 3 of us and it worked out perfect. We did not miss any sailaways and we loved having our own table. Especially with a young child. My Time dining looked good as well but I noticed a long line every evening so we decided to stay with what we had and it was fine. Just make sure you get your own table for the 4 of you. You can always check once you get on board where you table is located and if it is a problem , switch to My Time dining.

Thank you for all the responses thus far. While DH and I enjoyed having tablemates on our "pre-baby" cruises, I don't think that trying to mingle with new people and attemting to control our kids will ultimately work very well.

I'm thinking that we will go with main seating and depending on the table we receive may switch to MTD.

We are thinking about briging along our portable DVD player to keep the kids entertained. While, I don't like to do this often, as it couldbe seen as tacky, I am more concerned about ensuring our kids don't ruin other cruisers meal time. Has anyone seen people this on a cruise?

Use the DVDs or the My Time dining?

If it's the DVD's, yes I have seen it used before. Didn't bother me at all...but I know it's a hot button issue around here. ;)

Yes, I was referring to the DVD player. I can see how it might be a hot topic but when necessary it can be a "sanity saver!!"

Archived