The Best Cruise Ever! Glacier Bay Alaska, 5/6/09, Pictorial Review.

DarthGrady

Thanks for the replies. I was a little worried about having to fly across the country with 100 lbs of clothes to keep me warm. I'd do it though just to see the beautiful scenery that is shown in these pictures.

Drew those additional pictures are outstanding as well. You both have sure captured the beauty of Alaska (and I haven't even been there yet) LOL. I am appreciative of your sharing your photos. I too have one as my desktop too. Might be breaking out the paintbrushes too. :) I only hope we can get some great pics like yours. I bought my son a new telephoto lens for Christmas (he is a graphic artist) with strict orders that he was to "learn" how to use it before we go. :) Thanks again.

I was actually reading about Haines last night. There is a ferry from skagway to Haines, I think they said it was about 1 hour. But don't know how the times would match up or how you would get around one you got there. I was wondering what was there. I did not see it in the Carnival tours.

Will have to check it out more. Thanks

after you dock the Ferry is about one block to the left ...you have to get tickets and it is a first come first serve...by the time we got there it was a two hour plus wait just to get on the ferry....then it was a 45 minute trip to get there......we decided to rent a car there....we had a blast in Haines one of my favorite Ports.....when we rented the car we just asked locals where to go ...they gave us some great places to visit

I was actually reading about Haines last night. There is a ferry from skagway to Haines, I think they said it was about 1 hour. But don't know how the times would match up or how you would get around one you got there. I was wondering what was there. I did not see it in the Carnival tours.

Will have to check it out more. Thanks

The ferry to Haines is only about 25 minutes, if I remember correctly, but the wildlife center is about a 45 minute bus ride from Haines. Another time I was there, I did what was called an "Eagle Preserve Float", which is floating down the Chilkat River through an eagle preserve in a raft. Carnival offers a version of it, too (see link below). That was also an awesome excursion. I liked Skagway the best by far!

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?region=AN&portcode=SKY&excursionname=Eagle+Preserve+Float+%26+Scenic+Cruise&excursioncode=172024

The ferry to Haines is only about 25 minutes, if I remember correctly, but the wildlife center is about a 45 minute bus ride from Haines. Another time I was there, I did what was called an "Eagle Preserve Float", which is floating down the Chilkat River through an eagle preserve in a raft. Carnival offers a version of it, too (see link below). That was also an awesome excursion. I liked Skagway the best by far!

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?region=AN&portcode=SKY&excursionname=Eagle+Preserve+Float+%26+Scenic+Cruise&excursioncode=172024

That looks fabulous. My goal after reading this is for Alaska in 2011 (sooner if we win the lottery)!!

Grady, thanks so much for the wonderful review and the absolutely gorgeous pictures. We have the opposite wrap around balcony suite booked (4237) for May 2010. This will be our first aft balcony and, boy, are we excited. These pictures just made it little bit harder to wait a whole year for this beautiful scenery.

Grady, thanks so much for the wonderful review and the absolutely gorgeous pictures. We have the opposite wrap around balcony suite booked (4237) for May 2010. This will be our first aft balcony and, boy, are we excited. These pictures just made it little bit harder to wait a whole year for this beautiful scenery.

Hey, no problem. Enjoy that suite, its awesome!

I'm enjoying your review and your photos are amazing!!!!!!!!

Sorry that I haven't finished reading your review but I have a question and I'm afraid I'll forget to ask it. Did you see any calving in Glacier Bay?

I'm enjoying your review and your photos are amazing!!!!!!!!

Sorry that I haven't finished reading your review but I have a question and I'm afraid I'll forget to ask it. Did you see any calving in Glacier Bay?

I am sure Grady will respond as well, but Glacier Bay was just unbelieveable!

Yes we did experience calving, it was just amazing. The beauty is beyond words.

I have some photos of Glacier Bay as well. I was on this same cruise with Grady. Click on the link in my signature and you can view the pics, I did get some of calving. My photos are not as expertise as Grady's but they still came out acceptable.

I personally can't wait to take another cruise to Alaska!

Susan

Susan pretty well nailed it down, but yes, we did see a good ammount of glacial calving. We didn't see any huge pieces falling, but theres were several smaller to medium sized pieces that broke off the face. The sound of it was awesome!

Also, special bonus feature! I can't believe I overlooked this picture when I was putting this thing up. Here is one of the coolest things we saw, a humpback whale diving. We were having to shoot on the fly, so I hope you'll all forgive it not being centered up.

2671932980105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

Grady Thanks for the fantastic review and pictures. We are in the process of planning our 2nd trip to AK and your pics brought back wonderful memories. I enjoyed the pics of the ship as well. We haven't decided what ship yet and it helps to see pictures. Thanks again!:):)

Thanks for replying. We've been to Glacier Bay twice and next week we'll be there again. I hope we get half the show that we go last year! We saw hugh chunks falling off and lots of cracking and popping! It was truly amazing. I can't wait!!!!!!!!

DarthGrady, Love the photo of the whale tail! The first time I saw a whale dive I was hooked on whale watching. Try to go when I'm in an area known for whales.

Great pics Grady! We had a couple of days before the Spirit left to explore Vancouver and that bridge was called the Lion's Gate Bridge, and it was only open to traffic certain times of the day...when we drove over it to North Vancouver,it was until 6:30pm. And the lighthouse is called the Atkinson Lighthouse, there is a trail behind it that we hiked to get to it from the opposite side, so we were able to see both sides of it!

Really a great shot of it! My camera, from taking the shot from the boat, doesn't show it as good as yours did.

Whoever told you that? the Lions Gate Bridge is one of two main arteries to the north shore, it's open 24/7 unless closed by an accident.

The signs flashing the times it was open on the bridge told us that.

They might have been talking about the 3rd lane that switches back and forth north and south bound depending on volume. The bridge doesn't close unless there's an accident.

Those were some magnificent pictures of Alaska. Thanks for taking the time to share your pictures and your thoughts on Alaska. Hope to get there in the next few years.

We're planning on an Alaskan cruise in the future. I was just going to read a few pages of your post but I was hooked. Your photos are fantastic. Hopefully we'll go next year. I can't wait.

Those were some magnificent pictures of Alaska. Thanks for taking the time to share your pictures and your thoughts on Alaska. Hope to get there in the next few years.

Your'e both very welcome. I hope you love your Alaska cruise as much as we did!

DarthGrady

Great review, we were planning to do a Eastern Caribbean cruise next spring, but after reading the reviews and the pictures, we might just change our plans. I do have a couple of questions if you do not mind to answer, is the ship kids friendly, we have a 3 and a half year old who would be 4 1/2 next time we go, is there anything she can enjoy. Other thing is we are vegetarians, are there options for us.

Once again, great review and pictures.

Charotarguy

Ship is DEFINITELY kid friendly. We have been on the Spirit 3 times (4th time scheduled for next year to Alaska). One of the cruises my 3 year old nephew and his parents came along. He absolutely LOVED Camp Carnival. They had many, many activities for the kids. He begged to go most days.

We did late seating dining for the adults. Camp Carnival closed from 5 pm to 7 pm each night, so we would all meet in the buffet to have dinner with Tyler (snacks for us). So he had family time dinner and discussion. Then at 7:30 he would go back to Camp Carnival and we would head to dinner around 8 pm. Worked out great for all of us.

I'm positive that there is always one main entree that is vegetarian on the menu. Also in the buffet at lunch you won't have problems finding cheeses, salads, fruit, breads, soups, pasta, rice etc.

What an amazing photo review. Thank you so much for posting it.

We've been on the Spirit 3 times to Mexico and LOVE The ship. We just booked yesterday for the Sep 7 2010 cruise. Next year they are leaving from Seatlle and returning to Seattle but will not go thru Glacier Bay area. The 9/7/2010 is a unique itinerary that will include Glacier Bay and end in Vancouver.

We booked a port side balcony, but now looking at your photos it appears that the starboard side would be more scenic ... don't want to face the town when in port if possible and want the best viewing of Glacier Bay is we are on our Balcony. Is my thinking correct?

Off to check out your photos on webshots. Thank you again.

Mary

2535993120105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

2770549990105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

Our dining room

2021892680105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

2389326580105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

The aftermath

2893534730105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

:Dthe aftermath, i love it. i just want to say like everyone else what a wonderful review and pictures. next year i will be on the spirit to alaska for the 3rd time and cant wait. the pictures make me so excited about getting on her again. i love the spirit and i especially love alaska. thank you so much.

Archived