Visa for Brazil

lancet

They don't need yellow fever for Brazil.

YOU HAd better read the fine print on the Pacific Princess Amazon Cruise...you will not be allowed on t he ship without the shot..As a matter of fact.....at our airport our yellow card was checked before we were allowed to fly to Florida...

YOU HAd better read the fine print on the Pacific Princess Amazon Cruise...you will not be allowed on t he ship without the shot..As a matter of fact.....at our airport our yellow card was checked before we were allowed to fly to Florida...

Brazilian requirements.....

1) The traveler has to present an international yellow fever immunization certificate upon arrival in Brazil if he/she is departing from any of the following countries:

- In Africa: Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda.

- In Central and South America and the Caribbean: Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, French Guyana, Panama, Peru, Saint Vincent and Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago and Venezuela.

Don't forget about Yellow Fever shots as well. Look into it now & they are not inexpensive either.

Jan in Michigan

We needed the yellow fever shot on the Amazon cruise because we were going to French Guyana. The Transatlantic does not go there.

and a word of advice I think there were two cruisers who went through Princess for their Visas and they never arrived and Princess was helpless and they missed the ship
I have never heard of Princess or any cruiseline getting Brazilian visas for any passengers. They just don't do it since Brazil requires that you send in your passport and I've never heard of Princess requiring you to physically send your passport to them. Ever. Whenever I've gone to Brazil, the cruiselines have recommended a passport service. It's true that Princess will obtain Australian visas for all booked U.S. passengers and if you take a Princess tour in St. Petersburg, your Russian visa will be included with the tour ticket since all that's needed is your passport #, date of issue and expiration date for these visas, but I've never, ever heard of Princess asking passengers to send them their passports and getting Brazilian visas. You sure your friends didn't go through a service? That would make a heck of a lot more sense and it would also make sense that Princess was helpless since they have nothing to do with it. Do you have more details? It's just not making any sense whatsoever and as Judge Judy says, "If it doesn't make sense, it's not true." :)

They don't need yellow fever for Brazil.

I believe that you do need it for certain states. I flew from Parana to Amazonia (where manaus is) and we were required to get it.

Based on my experience:

Fortaleza and coast: not needed

Manaus and other rainforest interior: needed

This may have changed since I went 5+ years ago

I believe that you do need it for certain states. I flew from Parana to Amazonia (where manaus is) and we were required to get it.

Based on my experience:

Rio and Recife: not needed (but they're on the coast) nor is it needed in Iguazu Falls (in the interior.) That said, it's good for 10 years and if you do a bit of traveling, it's not a bad idea to get it.

Whatever you do, make sure that your visa is stamped upon your visit to Brazil!! My parents did the 3 continents TA last year on the Grand, stopping at Forteleza, Brazil. The ship kept their passports (with visas of course) and returned them before disembarkation.

This year they did a South America cruise on Princess. Since Brazilian visas are good for 5 years they should have been fine. Unfortunately, they were told before one stop (prior to Brazil) that they didn't have valid visas for Brazil and would have to spend their day in Uraguay getting visas for Brazil or get off in Argentina. The pursar's office said that their visas weren't valid because they weren't used to enter Brazil within 90 days of issue. Apparently when the Grand stopped on their TA last year their visas were not stamped to show entry. The explained to that they had sailed the Grand TA last year (gave the exact date) and had even taken a Princess shore excursion in Forteleza. After being told this, they were told that it was going to be taken care of and they wouldn't have to spend the day at the embassy getting visas. The morning of disembarkation a charge of $400 for Brazilian visas showed up on their statement, but they were able to disembark in Brazil.

Whatever you do, make sure that your visa is stamped upon your visit to Brazil!! My parents did the 3 continents TA last year on the Grand, stopping at Forteleza, Brazil. The ship kept their passports (with visas of course) and returned them before disembarkation.

This year they did a South America cruise on Princess. Since Brazilian visas are good for 5 years they should have been fine. Unfortunately, they were told before one stop (prior to Brazil) that they didn't have valid visas for Brazil and would have to spend their day in Uraguay getting visas for Brazil or get off in Argentina. The pursar's office said that their visas weren't valid because they weren't used to enter Brazil within 90 days of issue. Apparently when the Grand stopped on their TA last year their visas were not stamped to show entry. The explained to that they had sailed the Grand TA last year (gave the exact date) and had even taken a Princess shore excursion in Forteleza. After being told this, they were told that it was going to be taken care of and they wouldn't have to spend the day at the embassy getting visas. The morning of disembarkation a charge of $400 for Brazilian visas showed up on their statement, but they were able to disembark in Brazil.

This is good advice and very true.

I have never heard of Princess or any cruiseline getting Brazilian visas for any passengers. They just don't do it since Brazil requires that you send in your passport and I've never heard of Princess requiring you to physically send your passport to them. Ever. Whenever I've gone to Brazil, the cruiselines have recommended a passport service. It's true that Princess will obtain Australian visas for all booked U.S. passengers and if you take a Princess tour in St. Petersburg, your Russian visa will be included with the tour ticket since all that's needed is your passport #, date of issue and expiration date for these visas, but I've never, ever heard of Princess asking passengers to send them their passports and getting Brazilian visas. You sure your friends didn't go through a service? That would make a heck of a lot more sense and it would also make sense that Princess was helpless since they have nothing to do with it. Do you have more details? It's just not making any sense whatsoever and as Judge Judy says, "If it doesn't make sense, it's not true." :)

Pam,

You are correct, it was using a visa service. Unfortunately the person ended up canceling their cruise. :(

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=18659084&postcount=660

From what the poster wrote she used the company that Princess suggested to get their Brazilian Passport and sadly it wasn't processed in time.. that's all the poster wrote of her experience and could not make the cruise.. There was if I remember correctly one more close call, but I'm not sure if it was their local consulate or the "service" It was only within the past two months.

As Toto says, no visa, no embarking the ship. The copy showing proof of your itinerary is just your booking confirmation, it's not a biggie. And yes, you must submit your passport because they stamp your passport with the visa. It's good for 5 years after you've entered Brazil. I was able to use my Brazilian visa from several years ago (and an expired passport ago) for my cruise in January although I had to present both passports when entering Brazil.

It really comes down to your choice: you either book the cruise and get the visa or you don't. :(

Pam, I'm in the same position ref the visa on an expired pp. Did you contact someone in authority before you traveled w/the visa on the expired pp (Brazilian Consulate?). I would like to do the same thing you did.

As Toto says, no visa, no embarking the ship. The copy showing proof of your itinerary is just your booking confirmation, it's not a biggie. And yes, you must submit your passport because they stamp your passport with the visa. It's good for 5 years after you've entered Brazil. I was able to use my Brazilian visa from several years ago (and an expired passport ago) for my cruise in January although I had to present both passports when entering Brazil.

It really comes down to your choice: you either book the cruise and get the visa or you don't. :(

Hi Pam, I'm in the same boat ref a good visa on an expired pp. Did you get info from someone in authority (Brazil Consulate?) or did you just show up at the airline? I emailed Brazilian Consulate but never got an answer.

Based on my experience:

My statement was made because these passengers were/are not coming from one of the designated countries on the Brazilian list.

VictoriaH was supposed to be on our March 27 FLL-Manaus-FLL on the Pacific Princess. She did not get her visas on time and had to cancel but Princess was willing to rebook her in 2010. Here are her posts on this situation:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=18671499&postcount=668

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=18962499&postcount=158

We did, sailed T/A on Oceania 11/08 & it was required

Jan

We did too, but that's because we stopped at Devil's Island. When you fly into Brazil you don't need YF shot unless you are going somewhere which requires it. Just going to Brazil does not mean YF is needed.

Hi Pam, I'm in the same boat ref a good visa on an expired pp. Did you get info from someone in authority (Brazil Consulate?) or did you just show up at the airline? I emailed Brazilian Consulate but never got an answer.
I called and was told it wasn't a problem, and it wasn't. Just bring your old passport with you and present it with the visa whenever it's requested. I showed it when I checked in for my flight to Rio (they won't let you on the plane if you're flying directly to Brazil without the visa) and the check-in person had to check with their Supervisor before they printed my boarding pass. I knew it wasn't going to be a problem; it was the check-in person's lack of experience. Then, we took a pre-cruise to Iguazu Falls and while we stayed on the Brazilian side, we went to the Argentinian side and had to go through Immigration to get there. Returning to the Brazilian side, we again had to go through Immigration. It was a pain for the tour guides to manage the two passports for me (they were the ones who did the Immigration for us) but it was never a problem. Just make sure your visa is stamped with your first date of entry into Brazil with the visa. :)

Pam,

You are correct, it was using a visa service. Unfortunately the person ended up canceling their cruise. :(

From what the poster wrote she used the company that Princess suggested to get their Brazilian Passport and sadly it wasn't processed in time.. that's all the poster wrote of her experience and could not make the cruise.. There was if I remember correctly one more close call, but I'm not sure if it was their local consulate or the "service" It was only within the past two months.
I'm sorry to hear they had that experience. The company that Princess recommends is well-known and my experience with them on a number of occasions for visas to different countries has been professional and excellent. However, it doesn't sound like a Princess problem but the visa service problem so I don't understand why they're blaming Princess. While Princess (and other cruiselines/tour companies) recommend a particular service, it's still your choice and you have the option of handling it yourself or using a service.

I'm sorry to hear they had that experience. The company that Princess recommends is well-known and my experience with them on a number of occasions for visas to different countries has been professional and excellent. However, it doesn't sound like a Princess problem but the visa service problem so I don't understand why they're blaming Princess. While Princess (and other cruiselines/tour companies) recommend a particular service, it's still your choice and you have the option of handling it yourself or using a service.

Those VISAS were in fact processed in time, but the cruiser got antsy and cancelled. The service promised them they would have it and they did. Maybe not when they expected it, but they did get them in time to have taken the cruise.

Those VISAS were in fact processed in time, but the cruiser got antsy and cancelled. The service promised them they would have it and they did. Maybe not when they expected it, but they did get them in time to have taken the cruise.
Ahhh... thanks for the update.

Thanks Pam, but who did you call...the airline, the cruise line, or ?? So if I go this route, the ship will have to keep a handle on 2 passports for me as I know they take them for immigration purposes at all the ports. I sent an email to a Brazilian Consulate office listed on the website, but never got a response. Any additional suggestions will be appreciated.

\THIS IS THEIR POSTING.. and I don't blame them...

"just noticed the message on this board that Mary Ann expecting her Visa to go out tonight. Unfortunately, we are not so lucky. As of 5 pm, just a few minutes ago the status for our Visas is still the same, for delivery on Tuesday, March 24th. We needed to leave our home on Wed, the 25th to drive to the town where our flight to Ft. Lauderdale was leaving early on Thursday, the 26th. The overnight mail could arrive anytime between 10 am and 5 pm on Wed. the 25th with our Visas if they were overnighted to us on Tuesday. So you can see that if they even do this we cannot make the schedule. They knew this at the beginning and we will never understand why this happened. Therefore we have found it necessary to cancel our cruise. We are terribly disappointed.

It just came down to the fact that we needed to set a deadline for ourselves. My husband is not fully retired and has lined up temporary help, etc. We have had other considerable expenses and this could just not continue with it all being so uncertain. Also, we considered whether the overnight mail service would really deliver as expected.

I have talked to Princess and they were very understanding and have booked the same cruise for us next January. We did have good insurance for the cruise portion of the trip.

We looked forward to meeting you all. Sorry. Have a great trip and let us know what to expect when we do go. Thank you." Delighted Maryann made the cruise.. sad I never got to meet her friendly face with Raul and Gloria as we planned.. IS THERE ANYBODY ELSE WHO WOULD NOT HAVE CANCELLED CONSIDERING THE CIRCUMSTANCES!

Thanks Pam, but who did you call...the airline, the cruise line, or ?? So if I go this route, the ship will have to keep a handle on 2 passports for me as I know they take them for immigration purposes at all the ports. I sent an email to a Brazilian Consulate office listed on the website, but never got a response. Any additional suggestions will be appreciated.

The ship will collect your passports when you board and will not return them until after you leave Brazil. Yes, they will keep track of two passports; you get a receipt for them.

Archived