RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

We are planning a tour of the vatican. I see a lot of information on RIL, but would like to know...When you pre-purchase a vatican ticket is it entrance with a tour guide? We will be staying in Rome pre-cruise and do not feel we need a car. We have taken the train before and found it an easy way to get around Rome.

You should not be nervous in booking with RomeinLimo. You can email Jany and she can even have you email credit card information in several attempts so you do not need to send everything at the same time.

If you do some reading on here about Romeinlimo, you will see that NO one has issues with this company and their policies. At some point you have to take a chance and figure that all these great recommendations about a terrific company, must be true.:)

Enjoy! Romeinlimo is fantastic!

We went on the Brilliance of the Seas 12 day cruise from Barcelona that departed on 6/8/10. We are a family of 15 including two small children of 5 and 6. We hired tours with Rome-in-limo in livorno to visit Pisa and Florence and also in Rome for the day. I only have rave reviews for the company and the people that work for them. They were very prompt at picking us up at the ship's dock on both days. The late model Mercedes mini buses were clean and comfortable. An excellent guide was provided at each port and very knowledgeable making the best of our excursions. The guides were very understanding with the needs of the whole group (food,water, toilets)while we did our tours.Mr.Duman Kafelebasi even called me at the end of the day to ask if everything went OK!!

They took us back to the port perfectly on time. We tipped ~5 euros per person to the guide and 2 euros per person to the driver. I definitely would use them again anytime and highly recommend them to anyone traveling in Europe.

I guess I am confused. It is my assumption that Rome in Limo includes transportation which we do not need as we will be in Rome already (not coming from the port). Do they offer tours for someone who does not need transportation---who is Janey?

I guess I am confused. It is my assumption that Rome in Limo includes transportation which we do not need as we will be in Rome already (not coming from the port). Do they offer tours for someone who does not need transportation---who is Janey?

If you'll take a look at their website http://www.romeinlimo.com/ you'll see that RomeInLimo offers all sorts of tours---including walking tours and after-hours Vatican tours---that do not involve transportation. Jany is the owner's wife and she will most likely be the one who responds [very promptly] to your e-mail inquiries.

We are planning a tour of the vatican. I see a lot of information on RIL, but would like to know...When you pre-purchase a vatican ticket is it entrance with a tour guide?

And if you'll go to the Vatican website http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do you'll see that you have the option of pre-purchasing admission tickets OR tickets for a guided private or group tour (which includes admission).

Edited by dcinmb

We are planning a tour of the vatican. I see a lot of information on RIL, but would like to know...When you pre-purchase a vatican ticket is it entrance with a tour guide? We will be staying in Rome pre-cruise and do not feel we need a car. We have taken the train before and found it an easy way to get around Rome.

To answer your question about the Vatican museum -- you can purchase an entrance ticket only, or you can purchase a guided tour (which includes your admission). The choice is yours. The official guided tours are only given at set times during the day.

Thank you! I have emailed romeinlimo and checked out the vatican website. Looks as if I can purchase a guided tour with them too. It is my understanding that when one pre-purchases a ticket, there is not the waiting in line.

Re: the Vatican Museums, when we were there in November we bypassed the several-block-long line and just walked up to the security guard, showed him our prepaid ticket confirmation, and walked right on in, even though we hadn't booked a tour.

As others have said, Rome is surprisingly easy to do DIY, particularly as you'll be there for three days and be able to spare some time to wander and get lost, which is part of the fun. Between walking and the hop-on hop-off buses you really don't need to rely on taxis at all, unless you've got your luggage with you.

That said, my parents will be visiting Rome for one day in September and I have booked RomeInLimo for them. They've been to Rome before but are older and less mobile than they used to be---plus they'll be coming in from Civitavecchia---so I'm hoping RIL will enable them to get the most out of their day. I do have a question, though: Has anyone taken one of the Vatican's official tours of the Museums/Sistine Chapel/St. Peter's? I've reserved one of RIL's private guides but I'm wondering if one of the Vatican's official guided tours would suffice. I've only taken the Scavi Tour and was really impressed, so if the other tours are just as good I'm thinking the private guide may not be necessary.

Thanks!

Diana

If you can request a specfic Vatican guide with RomeInLomo, ask for Sarah (with an "h"). She is has been doing the tours for a couple years. She is a n art student and loves what she is doing, very personable, articulate and her voice projects well when it needs to (very important points in the crowded/noisy museum). She was our guide in May and one of the high points of our trip. I learned a lot from her and enjoyed it too. :)

We used RIL on our June 8th cruise as well. This was the first time I had ever not used the ship excursions. I trusted the feedback from other cruisers on this site and it was worth it. We used them for Pisa, Naples and Rome. The drivers were excellent. We saw so much more than if we had gone on the ship tours. Fritz in Pisa and Tony in Naples. Tony even had us singing. Our driver in Rome arranged a lunch that allowed us all to try several different foods. We also hired a private tour guide for the Vatican. That turned out to be a very smart move. When ever I return to Europe I will use their services again. It actually was cheaper in the long run for us since we shared the tours with another couple we met on the roll call.

Tammy

Not sure what else I can add about Rome in Limo that you probably haven't read before but we used them on our trip to Italy and our Celebrity Cruise the past couple of weeks. We used them for a variety of things from picking us up at the airport, driving us to the ship, taking us back to the airport. Plus, we had a full day tour of Rome which was excellent and then a full day tour of the Amalfi Coast with a great guide. Overall they have my highest recommendation. I can't see how anyone would be disappointed with their service -- always prompt, high quality vehicles and quality drivers and guides. You can't go wrong.

I can only add to the kudos for Rome in Limo. We used them two years ago in Rome and Florence, and we used them again before our cruise two weeks ago. We were met at the airport by Salvatore and boarded his very comfortable van. There were eight of us and somehow he managed to stow all our luggage safely before heading out for our city highlights tour. I won't go into the sites we saw, except to say that I don't think we missed anything! Salvatore had cold water in the van and we stopped twice during the tour, once for coffee and pastry and later in the countryside for a delicious homemade lunch.

The next day, after doing the Scavi tour which we'd booked months earlier, we were met by RIL's Sarah. She had been our Vatican guide two years ago, so it was wonderful having her lead us on the Angels & Demons tour. She has so much knowledge about art, church history, architecture. I wish I'd had a tape recorder with me!! Another fabulous day.

On Sunday Salvatore picked us up at our hotel and drove us to Tivoli where we toured Villa Adrianna, Villa d'Este and Castel Gandolfo. During our drive Salvatore educated us on each of the sites telling us what to expect and what not to miss. While we were enjoying the Villa d'Este Salvatore drove to a nearby farm and got us newly-bottled wine to share that evening. Coming back to Rome he stopped at St. Crispins (hope that's right) for wonderful gelato!

Then it was time to cruise. Salvatore picked us up right on time and drove us to the port. After getting our porters lined up he presented us with postcards and hugs. What a marvelous time we'd had, and it is so comforting to have guides who feel like good friends. We always knew we were in good hands!!

That said, my parents will be visiting Rome for one day in September and I have booked RomeInLimo for them. They've been to Rome before but are older and less mobile than they used to be---plus they'll be coming in from Civitavecchia---so I'm hoping RIL will enable them to get the most out of their day. I do have a question, though: Has anyone taken one of the Vatican's official tours of the Museums/Sistine Chapel/St. Peter's? I've reserved one of RIL's private guides but I'm wondering if one of the Vatican's official guided tours would suffice. I've only taken the Scavi Tour and was really impressed, so if the other tours are just as good I'm thinking the private guide may not be necessary.

RIL's guides are the best, for a number of reasons. One of the things I appreciated about Sarah was that she took the time to make sure we could all hear her- she encouraged our small group to move in close, to help with the noise from the rest of the crowds in the Vatican. That extra level of attention is thoughtful, and perhaps really valuable with older folks, who might have a little trouble hearing. They would also likely be more comfortable asking a dedicated guide to repeat information, or to ask follow-up questions.

Just my opinion, but with all of the time and expense involved in getting to Rome and the Vatican, the last place I'd want to cut corners is on a guide.

I can recommend Rome in Limo without hestitation. From start to finish, it was an excellent experience. Duman and Jany responded to my inquiries very promptly and professionally. Our guide in Rome was Lorenzo who was pleasant, accomodating, and knowledgeable. His English was excellent. If possible, we always schedule private tours because of the comfort and flexibility and usually the cost. My only tip would be to buy tickets for the Vatican Museum ahead of time to avoid a lengthy line. This company was a pleasure to work with.

We have 3 tours with RIL scheduled for our September cruise. My question for you all is...did you pay for the services is cash or travelers checks? Did you get euros before the cruise? Our tours are 3 days in a row at the beginning of our cruise. I hate to bring so much cash but am thinking it may be a hassle to find travelers checks in euros here before we leave. Any advise appreciated.

We just got back and used Rome in Limo for our Vatican tour. I highly recommend a guide for the Vatican. It was so easy with the guide-she knows exactly where to go and it would have been overwhelming without her. Our guide, Braydon, was excellent. She is very knowledgeable about everything in the Vatican and has a passion for sharing that knowledge. She is also a wonderful person and we really enjoyed our tour and learned so much. It was also great working with Jany who always responded quickly to our e-mails and questions. They are a number one company and I highly recommend them.

Our group had a total of 4 tours with RIL, 2 in Rome and 2 in Florence, tours of 8 persons each.

We all paid for the tours individually, in Euros, collected by the one who made the arrangements with Jany. I got some cash before we left home and some more in Rome at an ATM. Some members of our group got Euros in Florence or Livorno at ATMs. Others got Euros on board the ship.

We were on the Crystal Symphony and at each port they had someone from a local bank who came in and changed $ for us.

While we were in Rome we kept our money in a safe at our hotel; when we left the hotel we had a transfer to Civitaveccia (personal, not cruise line), and when we got to the ship we kept the majority of our Euros in the safe in our stateroom.

I had qualms about carrying so much cash but it really wasn't a problem.

Enjoy your trip! RIL were great!

Pam

We have 3 tours with RIL scheduled for our September cruise. My question for you all is...did you pay for the services is cash or travelers checks? Did you get euros before the cruise? Our tours are 3 days in a row at the beginning of our cruise. I hate to bring so much cash but am thinking it may be a hassle to find travelers checks in euros here before we leave. Any advise appreciated.

Hi,

We had 3 tours with RIL back to back as well. We paid in cash at the end of each tour. I did get some euros before leaving but the rate from the banks is not the best so I primarily used ATMs in the ports to get what we needed. The rates are better and it is a lot easier than loaded up on all the cash early on.

Bill

Thanks for your replies Pam & Bill. I have read the the ATM's are the way to go, but you hate not to have enough cash and then not be able to find a machine or not have one work, especially in a foreign country! I supposed I should get some here before we leave and will worry about the rest when we are there. :rolleyes:

I got enough Euro from my bank to pay for the tour/tip (we were picked up at the airport and then toured) and about 50E extra. Then I got whatever we needed from an ATM. I didn't want to have to take time to go to an ATM upon arrival...I wanted to start seeing the sights! :-)

Jo Ann

On the questionnaire for RIL, they ask for a pickup time. Our boat is scheduled to arrive in Naples at 7. The tour is 9 hours and sounds wonderful. What would you recommend for the pickup time. We don't want to waste tour time on the dock.... Thanks so much. So much helpful information on this thread.

On the questionnaire for RIL, they ask for a pickup time. Our boat is scheduled to arrive in Naples at 7. The tour is 9 hours and sounds wonderful. What would you recommend for the pickup time. We don't want to waste tour time on the dock.... Thanks so much. So much helpful information on this thread.

I can't pick your time but if you have a group it saves alot of time by getting your group together before getting off the ship--then you will have a sign to look for & everyone will be together & you will get in the van & off you go while others are still waiting for everyone to get to their groups. Have a GREAT time.

Try asking the company what they recommend as a pick-up time, given your scheduled arrival. They have undoubtedly dealt with this before and probably have a good idea as to when you can get off the ship.

RIL suggested a pick-up time in Livorno and it worked out fine. At a guess, I'd say 8 would be doable, but of course things happen; the ship is late getting in or getting approved for debarking, etc. Are you docking or tendering? That also makes a difference.

Look no further for a company to provide tour/transportation! My extended family of 9 (ages 5 to 82) just celebrated my parent’s 50th anniversary with a 12 day cruise in the Mediterranean in June 2010. We hired Rome in Limo for transportation to and from the ports and tours in Florence, Pisa, Rome, Pompeii and the Amalfi coast – the drivers were all on time and made all our site seeing effortless and fun. I have to say that Fabrizio and Giovanni in Florence were just AMAZING. It rained the day we were in Florence but that is NOT what we remember about our trip. Our greatest memory was of the market that Fabrizio took us to, the great food, his ability to lead us to the most important sites and keep everyone smiling. They took us to a Gelato place in Florence that had the best Gelato in all of Italy! Carmine and his cousin Milko in Salerno also took GREAT care of our family. The Amalfi Coast is breathtaking and our lunch in Positano was super (this is a huge compliment coming from a foodie family). I think I am still full from all the food! RomeinLimo hired a guide for us in Pompeii which was essential since we had limited time and we wanted to make the most out of our visit. Salvaore in Rome was equally as efficient and courteous - I am amazed at the number of sites that we saw in Rome in just a few hours. RIL hired a guide for us in the Vatican as well – and it was worth it. Again, with limited time our guide whisked us through the lines and showed us the highlights of the Vatican Museum and gave us in-depth history of the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter’s. The drivers showered my parents with kind words and mementos to celebrate their anniversary. At the end of our visit I felt as if our drivers were all part of our family. I would recommend RIL to anyone and especially to good friends. http://www.romeinlimo.com

Edited by gigisaunt