RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

We just got back from the wonderful inaugural cruise of the Carnival Magic and used romeinlimo for our tour of Tuscany out of Livorno. Laura was our guide and she was absolutely wonderful!! We visited Volterra and San G. The highlight of the day, though, was her taking us to an agroturismo located close to San G. with a beautiful view of that city. It was a working farm which produced olive oil and wine. They sat us in a beautiful garden and began bringing out the feast! What a feast it was with wine flowing and wonderful personalized service by the owners. The place is a former monastery that has been converted to apartments and a B & B. We want to go and stay there. Thanks to Laura our day was the best we could have ever had!

We just completed a tour of Florence, Italy with RomeinLimo and our

driver, Fabrizio. Fabrizio was informative, friendly, professional and

took care of all our wishes. Our group had personal expectations and

requested things to see and Fabrizio accommodated all of us. We had a

wonderful day of touring museums and places of interest and were returned

to our cruise ship in a timely manner. We also had a wonderful lunch

together, arranged by our driver. It was a memorable day and we are

using RomeinLimo again in October of 2011, for our Amalfi Coast tour day.

Our service was excellent, and we highly recommend this company.

Jules and Joanne in Arizona

So I don't know if this is a weird question, but on the Romeinlimo website, they specify that the driver guides do not go into historical sites with us. So I was wondering, my fiance and I (who will be a husband when we go on this cruise!) wanted to book private tours just for the two of us since it'd be our honeymoon. And my question is...would the drivers be able to help us take pictures at special points of interest? Do they just drop us off at the sites and we're off on our own until we get back into the car? Thanks for any info!

Edit:// nevermind! made it through more of the thread and got my answer. I'd need a separate guide in addition to driver if I want someone to actually walk me around. Thanks!

Edited by bgyoshi

Edit:// nevermind! made it through more of the thread and got my answer. I'd need a separate guide in addition to driver if I want someone to actually walk me around. Thanks!

And thank you for reminding us of Lesson #1- there is a tremondous volume of info here, all you have to do is look.

I wish they would make that a banner headline.

Edited by CruiserBruce

So I don't know if this is a weird question, but on the Romeinlimo website, they specify that the driver guides do not go into historical sites with us. So I was wondering, my fiance and I (who will be a husband when we go on this cruise!) wanted to book private tours just for the two of us since it'd be our honeymoon. And my question is...would the drivers be able to help us take pictures at special points of interest? Do they just drop us off at the sites and we're off on our own until we get back into the car? Thanks for any info!

Congrats on your wedding :)

The RIL drivers will give you a great deal of information prior to dropping you off at each site. They will likely have a pictorial guide book that has the transparent overlays so you can see what the Colosseum would have looked like compared to what it looks like now. Very cool.

You can ask other tourists to take your picture; that is what we did.

My daughter used Romeinlimo last week, additionally she brought her iPod that she had downloaded all of Rick Steves audio tours.

So, she had the best of both worlds: the professional, prompt and knowledgeable drivers from Romeinlimo who could get her up close to all of the sites, and the audio guides for each site from Rick Steves.

If you are not familiar with Rick Steves, you can check out his website:

http://www.ricksteves.com/ae/ae_menu.htm

Have a wonderful time! You will love Romeinlimo!

This just remonded me about one of the best things. RIL was able to get us so close to the museums we were visiting. The tour busses had to park so far away and then people had to hike quite a distance to the museums in Florence. We were taken to the door of the Accademie in Florence and got to skip the line.

Congrats on your wedding :)

The RIL drivers will give you a great deal of information prior to dropping you off at each site. They will likely have a pictorial guide book that has the transparent overlays so you can see what the Colosseum would have looked like compared to what it looks like now. Very cool.

You can ask other tourists to take your picture; that is what we did.

My daughter used Romeinlimo last week, additionally she brought her iPod that she had downloaded all of Rick Steves audio tours.

So, she had the best of both worlds: the professional, prompt and knowledgeable drivers from Romeinlimo who could get her up close to all of the sites, and the audio guides for each site from Rick Steves.

If you are not familiar with Rick Steves, you can check out his website:

http://www.ricksteves.com/ae/ae_menu.htm

Have a wonderful time! You will love Romeinlimo!

Thanks for the audio guides information

We just got back from a cruise on the Celebrity Equinox and used RIL for a tour out of Livorno. This is our fourth time with this company and I must say that the service is always consistent, professional and the guides are very friendly and knowledgeable. We took a tour to the medieval towns of Volterra and San Gimignano in the Tuscan countryside. The highlight of the day was a lunch stop at a winery where the owner provided us with a lovely lunch, tips on wine tasting and plenty of wine to sample. The drivers Gian and Walter were absolutely wonderful. They treated us like royalty. You are always in good hands with Romeinlimo !!

Millie

We just got back from a cruise on the Celebrity Equinox and used RIL for a tour out of Livorno. This is our fourth time with this company and I must say that the service is always consistent, professional and the guides are very friendly and knowledgeable. We took a tour to the medieval towns of Volterra and San Gimignano in the Tuscan countryside. The highlight of the day was a lunch stop at a winery where the owner provided us with a lovely lunch, tips on wine tasting and plenty of wine to sample. The drivers Gian and Walter were absolutely wonderful. They treated us like royalty. You are always in good hands with Romeinlimo !!

Millie

I'm booking romeinlimo for some of my pre-cruise time in Rome, thanks to the many accolades here on CC. My questions:

1-They are suggesting an 8 hour tour with a driver, and a guide for the Vatican. Do we need a guide for other sites? Or is the driver usually knowledgeable enough to provide info?

2-Have you ever just gotten a guide at the Vatican rather than scheduled one in advance? If so, how did that work out? Did you still have to stand in line for tickets? Can you just visit the "church" on your own without tickets? (I obviously have lots more research to do! I visited Rome years ago, but I was on a tour and they took care of everything.)

3-Do you tip on top of the fee for the driver, or is it included?

4- Not a romeinlimo question, but has anyone ever done a day trip from Rome to Pompeii? Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for answers to my questions!

Just got back from a cruise and used RIL for our tour of Rome. It was our second time using them. We pre-bought our tickets for the Vatican and Coleseum and it worked perfectly. The 8 hour tour was perfect and the whole tour was awesome. Our driver, Manuel was excellent, and yes, we did tip him. We shared our car with another couple we found on Cruise Critic and had a wonderful day. I would definitly follow Jany's suggestions and you will have a great day touring Rome with them.:):)

Gail.

Just got back from a cruise and used RIL for our tour of Rome. It was our second time using them. We pre-bought our tickets for the Vatican and Coleseum and it worked perfectly. The 8 hour tour was perfect and the whole tour was awesome. Our driver, Manuel was excellent, and yes, we did tip him. We shared our car with another couple we found on Cruise Critic and had a wonderful day. I would definitly follow Jany's suggestions and you will have a great day touring Rome with them.:):)

Gail.

Thanks I am going in September and appreciate knowing you were happy with RIL

I have a bad back and bad knees-- Rome in LImo was fabulous because they could pull right up to the museums and sites... I did not have to walk... and let us off, and we got to the front of the line, no waiting!!

actually they were fabulous for many other reasons. Yes, the driver guides are a fount of knowledge and make excellent tour guides. They are so worth it! We loved Rome in Limo!

Bobolink, great idea about downloading Rick Steve's audios before the trip.. I wish I had thought of that. It would be just one more excellent addition to a tour. :)

We just returned from the NCL Jade 15 day cruise (Barcelona to Venice) and used Rome in Limo for both Florence and Rome (group of 8 each time). The vehicles were new and roomy, each driver was friendly, informed, and we were very happy about how close we could get to entrances. It was easy to book online, and the communication with Jany was excellent. Everyone on each excursion was quite pleased . . . highly recommended!!

I have a bad back and bad knees-- Rome in LImo was fabulous because they could pull right up to the museums and sites... I did not have to walk... and let us off, and we got to the front of the line, no waiting!!

actually they were fabulous for many other reasons. Yes, the driver guides are a fount of knowledge and make excellent tour guides. They are so worth it! We loved Rome in Limo!

Bobolink, great idea about downloading Rick Steve's audios before the trip.. I wish I had thought of that. It would be just one more excellent addition to a tour. :)

Did you take a tour with six or eight and was the vehicle a mercedes Viano

HI

We havd several tours and transfers booked with Rome In Limo and wondered if anyone recently had done any of their "walking tours?" We've booked the one for Ancient Rome and just curious about others experience. I guess I could search this thread but with 1113 responses that sure could take awhile!!! Thanks for any info.:)

Well, if you had read any of the many threads, you would definitely get the impression they do things exceptionally well. That would convince me (of course we have used them, so that experience helps too) that the walking tours are probably a good product as well, and that there is certainly no reason to think they are somehow going to be inadequate.

Well, if you had read any of the many threads, you would definitely get the impression they do things exceptionally well. That would convince me (of course we have used them, so that experience helps too) that the walking tours are probably a good product as well, and that there is certainly no reason to think they are somehow going to be inadequate.

I DID read many of the threads and I have NO doubt that it will be far more than adequate, I am just curious about the Walking Tours as I haven't read anything about them on this thread. I am curious about the tour itself and how it progresses, the pace, the content etc.... any info is appreciated.:)

I DID read many of the threads and I have NO doubt that it will be far more than adequate, I am just curious about the Walking Tours as I haven't read anything about them on this thread. I am curious about the tour itself and how it progresses, the pace, the content etc.... any info is appreciated.:)

I did some dearches in the thread and I didn't see information on walking tours either

I too have been trying to find someone who has done a walking tour with them. I am trying to decide between RIL's walking tours and some of the companies that specialize in walking tours only. Anyone who has walked with them?

I have done a walking tour with Romeinlimo. We were on an extended land trip in 2009 and I did a walking tour with them. We had Sarah as our guide and she met us at our hotel. With chatting with Jany, it seemed that we could meet her anywhere... Their walking tours are great. Sarah was very knowledgable and spoke perfect English. I always suggest the walking tours to people that have more time in Rome. There is a BIG list of recommendations over on the TripAdvisor.

I have done a walking tour with Romeinlimo. We were on an extended land trip in 2009 and I did a walking tour with them. We had Sarah as our guide and she met us at our hotel. With chatting with Jany, it seemed that we could meet her anywhere... Their walking tours are great. Sarah was very knowledgable and spoke perfect English. I always suggest the walking tours to people that have more time in Rome. There is a BIG list of recommendations over on the TripAdvisor.

Thanks for your recommendation! I've kind of assumed it would be great, as nearly every post about RomeInLimo is, I just hadn't seen any about the walking tours. I will check TripAdvisor again for this info. Thanks

Thanks for your recommendation! I've kind of assumed it would be great, as nearly every post about RomeInLimo is, I just hadn't seen any about the walking tours. I will check TripAdvisor again for this info. Thanks

I think because most here on the Cruise Critic are only in Rome for a day, they end up doing a car tour. I have done many tours by van with Romeinlimo...which have been incredible (and going again in 10 days!) but we really enjoyed our walking tour with them when we had so many days precruise in Rome. You can also tweak it to suit your needs.

Have a great time! :)

I am just back from my Mediterranean cruise and used RomeInLimo for private tours in Florence, Rome and Naples rather than the ship's organized tours. What a difference - I used the ship tours twice after those organized by RomeInLimo, and I am so glad I used RomeInLimo in Italy.

As far as our drivers, we had Fabrizio in Florence, Franco in Rome and Giovanni in Naples. Fabrizio was the best tour guide we had (our trip started pre-cruise in Barcelona where we had a private tour, as well as accompanied another group on a tour they had set up for Montserrat with another tour company and a private tour in Cannes). Fabrizio arranged for a private lunch at a wine shop, and he provided the pizza, sandwiches, and cheese so we could do some wine tasting. Great day in Florence.

Franco was good but his command of the English language was not as good as Fabrizio's. We thoroughly enjoyed our day in Rome with him though, and have no problem recommending him. While we were in Rome, we met Duman, the owner, who thanked us for booking with them and wanted to check to see what we thought of his drivers.

In Naples, Giovanni was great. He pulled over at a photo op location, and opened a bottle of homemade wine and poured us a bit so we could enjoy the wine and scenery. He sang to us as we were going over the narrow road to Positano.

On the tours organized by RomeInLimo, you get to see so much more. You get dropped off at the location you want to visit (you do a LOT of walking so the close drop off helps if you have bad knees), you get picked up at a close designated location, you get personal service instead of a tour guide holding up a number and then trying to follow them so you can hear the tour. Definitely follow RomeInLimo's suggestions for guides in Pompeii and the Vatican, or you won't know what you are looking at - too much to see in too short a time if you don't have a guide. The two guides they provided for Pompeii and the Vatican were very good. My sister has just recovered from a serious illness and they managed to get us through the sites at a pace she could follow. They kept her away from crowds as much as possible (almost impossible in the Vatican!) and let her rest when needed. I can't say enough good things about RomeInLimo or their guides.

Margaret

I think because most here on the Cruise Critic are only in Rome for a day, they end up doing a car tour. I have done many tours by van with Romeinlimo...which have been incredible (and going again in 10 days!) but we really enjoyed our walking tour with them when we had so many days precruise in Rome. You can also tweak it to suit your needs.

Have a great time! :)

We have a car tour booked for the next day and they will transport us to the port ater a visit and tour to the Odescalchi Castle but just thought a walking tour the afternoon we arrive would be great and hopefully provide some help with restaurant recommendations for our two and a half days there. We just can't wait...:)

We have a car tour booked for the next day and they will transport us to the port ater a visit and tour to the Odescalchi Castle but just thought a walking tour the afternoon we arrive would be great and hopefully provide some help with restaurant recommendations for our two and a half days there. We just can't wait...:)

We're doing a transport to the port with the detour by Odescalchi Castle also!!!

What sailing are you on???