Rate your Bermuda excursion!

My husband and I are a little over one month away from our first cruise!! I have been reading every Bermuda cruise review and still not satisfied with the information I could find about NCL's excursions in Bermuda. For those of you who haved cruised to Bermuda before, please share your experiences! Which excursions do you recommend booking, or recommend avoiding?? Thanks!

My husband and I are a little over one month away from our first cruise!! I have been reading every Bermuda cruise review and still not satisfied with the information I could find about NCL's excursions in Bermuda. For those of you who haved cruised to Bermuda before, please share your experiences! Which excursions do you recommend booking, or recommend avoiding??

The cruise line excursions, for the most part, are well done. A little pricey, but well done. Bermuda is a great place for going off and doing your own thing. The bus and ferry system makes getting from one place to another easy and cheap. For peace of mind, take the cruise line excursions. If you're adventurous -- then go your own way and save some money.

We've done a few snorkeling excursions in Bermuda. And a walking tour of Hamilton. They're okay. The most fun was a Segway tour at the Dockyard (now offered in St. George's too). NCL might not offer this tour but you can do it on your own. Just Google "Bermuda" and "Segway Tour." Or Google "Bermuda" and "snorkeling" to arrange your own snorkeling excursion.

No need to book excursions through NCL in Bermuda. You can see the island easily with their bus and ferry system. Check out the Bermuda Board for ideas.

For example: If docked at Kings or Heritage Wharf....take the #7 Bus to Royal Naval Cemetary, sea glass beach is right there....get back on #7 towards Hamilton to Gibbs Lighthouse and Horseshoe Bay Beach. Or if you want to go directly to Horseshoe Bay Beach...take the #7 Express Bus from the dockyard. New Swizzle Inn is past the Horseshoe Bay bus stop so you would get back on the #7 towards Hamilton.

Take the ferry to Hamilton to shop or St George's to explore.

For snorkeling, I recommend the Jessie James Snorkel cruise. Rating AAAA++++ Loved it in Oct and will be doing it again next month. You can be picked up and dropped off in Hamilton or Kings Wharf.

Almost anything you want to see or do in Bermuda is not far from the bus/ferry system.

We've done Hartley's Helmet dive in Bermuda a few years ago and it was fabulous. I've heard mixes reviews recently since he's been doing the excursions for the cruiselines.

Howard

We did virtually everything on our own in Bermuda and it was very easy. The one excursion we did through NCL was a boat tour of the Rich and Famous. We were supposed to see many homes owned by celebrities, I don't recommend this tour. The boat trip was nice; however, celebrity homes were few and far between. If this had been titled differently it wouldn't have been quite so misleading.

When there a couple of weeks ago, I took the Bermuda Island bus tour through NCL. It was kind of long (5 hours) but it covered the entire island. So I ended up with a good idea of where things were, etc. Having taken that tour, I would now feel perfectly comfortable venturing out on my own by local bus or ferry.

After eight cruises to Bermuda, we have never taken a ship's excursion. We have never found it necessary as the island is so easy to navigate - by bus, ferry, taxi or (oh my gosh :eek:) scooter.

I have heard (as mentioned above) that an island tour can really help the first time visitor orient themselves. Once you know where you are and want to go, just go! There are maps and bus/ferry schedules at the info booth right at the cruise dock.

Our favorite on-your-own trip is to hit Church Bay Beach (or Horseshoe Bay, if that be your thing) and then head to the Swizzle Inn in Warwick (all on the same bus route on South Shore Road) for some lunch and, well, a pitcher of Swizzle! :D

My husband and I are a little over one month away from our first cruise!! I have been reading every Bermuda cruise review and still not satisfied with the information I could find about NCL's excursions in Bermuda. For those of you who haved cruised to Bermuda before, please share your experiences! Which excursions do you recommend booking, or recommend avoiding?? Thanks!

Hi.

I agree with those who recommend getting a bus and ferry pass and touring on your own. When you get off the ship the Tourist information ladies will be right in the terminal building with maps and brochures. You can purchase your bus and ferry tickets there also.

The three day pass costs 28 per adult and is good for unlmited travel on all of the busses and ferries,

We have take the catamaran sail and snorkle excursion several times on the Rising Son II, and find it to be great fun,. They sail out to a sheltered area and anchor close to shore, where you can kayak, snorkel or swim for an hour or so. After the snorkeling tast Rum Swizzles are served, (soft drinks are available for non-imbibers) and the catamaran sails back to the pier located right next to the ship. The tour lasts about three hours or so,

Great fun

I second teh vote for Rising Son. We did 2 tours with them and they were just great. Crewas very relaxed, made everyone feel so welcome. They told us to relax and consider it "our" boat for the afternoon. Then they took us to some beautiful spots to swim, float, check out the sea life. I will probably book with them again for our August cruise.

You might want to ask the same question at the Bermuda Ports of Call board.

We've done Hartley's Helmet dive in Bermuda a few years ago and it was fabulous. I've heard mixes reviews recently since he's been doing the excursions for the cruiselines.

Howard

Totally recommend this excursion. But, book it directly, not through the cruise line, it's much less expensive. Google Hartley's Helmet Dive. We did this last year and there were a number of NCL cruisers (both from the Dawn and Majesty both calling on Bermuda at the same time). They couldn't have been more accommodating. And, we liked this dive better than the one in St. Thomas. Awesome experience!

We once enjoyed a great catamaran snorkel excursion, I think through RCI. It was called "Fantaseas." You get a tour of Bermuda's coastline and "rich'n'famous" homes too. They were located in Hamilton.

We also went horseback riding on the beach through Spicelands in an excursion we booked on our own. That was a blast! :cool:

For Philly Steve...

Thanks for your endorsement of your Spicelands Horseback Riding excursion. Did you take any pictures of the horses that you could share with us. I've thought about doing this during my last three visits to Bermuda and the information I found on their website isn't too extensive. My husband and I own horses of our own and we've found that many of the "island" horses in the Caribbean have been so small in height and quite thin that we haven't wanted to "burden" them. The only horses that we've enjoyed a beach riding experience on was with Holland-America on their private island. The horses were in great shape and we even got to "ride" them into the water at the beach.

Since you booked the Spiceland's ride on your own...how did you get from the ship (and where was it docked) to the stable?

Thanks for all your input on this one!

Debjo

Here's another vote for Hartley's Helmet Dive. We did this excursion just this past Monday, booked through the ship, mostly for the convenience of being picked up at the pier. We had a ball! We try to do one "adventure" on every cruise, and this was ours for Bermuda. It's fun and easy. Especially for someone like me, who can't swim, and so would never have the opportunity to snorkel, snuba, or dive. Google the website, it's extensive and detailed.

Hi.

I agree with those who recommend getting a bus and ferry pass and touring on your own. When you get off the ship the Tourist information ladies will be right in the terminal building with maps and brochures. You can purchase your bus and ferry tickets there also.

The three day pass costs 28 per adult and is good for unlmited travel on all of the busses and ferries,

We have take the catamaran sail and snorkle excursion several times on the Rising Son II, and find it to be great fun,. They sail out to a sheltered area and anchor close to shore, where you can kayak, snorkel or swim for an hour or so. After the snorkeling tast Rum Swizzles are served, (soft drinks are available for non-imbibers) and the catamaran sails back to the pier located right next to the ship. The tour lasts about three hours or so,

Great fun

We're taking the Rising II on our next Bermuda cruise! Glad to hear you liked it as it wasn't even listed online and we had to find it in the .pdf!;) Can't wait to return for #4!:cool:

I agree with Hadley Helmet Diving - had a great time. You can book this on line by yourself.

If you want morei nfo on Bermuda try this site:

http://www.bermuda4u.com/Essential/bermuda_tourist_office.html

http://www.bermudatourism.com/index.aspx

You can also contact the Bermuda Tourist Office and they will send you a fold up map of the island.

Bermuda Tourist Office

310 Madison Ave.

New York, NY 10017800-223-6106

212-818-9800

Although the last 2 times we docked @ St. Georges, there are similar excursions available @ Dockyard. We are booked for the Restless Native catamaran through NCL because we did one @ St. George's. My family and I enjoyed this immensley. While on the subject, does anyone have any experience with Blue Water Divers in Southhampton? I'm interested in their "Resort Dive" beginner shipwreck dive.

We're soon heading to Bermuda for our third summer in a row. We've never booked excursions through NCL. My 2-cents worth: Get a couple of travel books about Bermuda (or check them out at your local library if available). We did this before we first went and were able to 'read up' on Bermuda and study all of the maps in the books. The transportation system is extremely efficient and the locals don't mind answering questions you may have about where things are, offering advice, etc. It's a really tourist friendly place and the 3 day bus/ferry pass is definitely the way to go! Save your money on the excursions, and spend it at the Swizzle Inn, Frog & Onion, tourist/cultural/sport attractions (or at my favorite shop - The Island Shop!). It's a lot cheaper to schedule your own "stuff". The books really are a tremendous source of info - and you can search for specifics on the internet!

While on the subject, does anyone have any experience with Blue Water Divers in Southhampton? I'm interested in their "Resort Dive" beginner shipwreck dive.

I've seen mixed reviews (good and so-so) on Blue Water Divers. In late June I'm planning on taking the resort dive from Triangle Diving. I've had a few emails with them over the last month and they seem okay.

Anyone have any experience with Triangle Diving in Bermuda?

The great thing about Bermuda is that you can explore everything on your own. The 3 day bus/ferry pass is the way to go. If you are interested in any special activities, they make it very convenient to so on your own. Get a good Bermuda book and away you go! The ferry ride to St. George is a wonderful way to see the island. Once there you can take a local bus and see anything you want. The locals are extremely helpful with assisting you in finding your way around. We did run into a couple on our cruise last week who booked the glass bottom boat/swizzle party to Hamilton Lights festival on Wednesday night through NCL. They were extremely disappointed in this as it was very costly, and they said all it did was slip inside a few hidden coves on its way to Hamilton. Same trip the passenger ferry makes, but without the "swizzle". Enjoy your time there. It is a spectacular island!:)

We're taking the Rising II on our next Bermuda cruise! Glad to hear you liked it as it wasn't even listed online and we had to find it in the .pdf!;) Can't wait to return for #4!:cool:

Here's another vote for the "Rising Sun II". DH and I have taken this tour four times and it never gets old! The crew is great and each time I learn something new. Very knowledgable about the island, both with myths and facts.

The great thing about Bermuda is that you can explore everything on your own. The 3 day bus/ferry pass is the way to go. If you are interested in any special activities, they make it very convenient to so on your own. Get a good Bermuda book and away you go! The ferry ride to St. George is a wonderful way to see the island. Once there you can take a local bus and see anything you want. The locals are extremely helpful with assisting you in finding your way around. We did run into a couple on our cruise last week who booked the glass bottom boat/swizzle party to Hamilton Lights festival on Wednesday night through NCL. They were extremely disappointed in this as it was very costly, and they said all it did was slip inside a few hidden coves on its way to Hamilton. Same trip the passenger ferry makes, but without the "swizzle". Enjoy your time there. It is a spectacular island!:)

I totally agree! It is easy to explore on your own .. And what a BEAUTIFUL island!

Archived