RCI to offer guests Cell Phone Use via AT&T/Cingular

Tyron

I am glad we might be able to use phones onboard as we do like to let my grandparents know were safe and to check on our animals, and on our last cruise Jamaica was the only place!!!!

BUT

I do think it should be confined to cabins, lol! I do hate the ringin of mobiles.

Gem

I think it would benefit the crew but I don't want to be at the pool or dinner and hear someone's cell phone ring. It was bad enough last week on Grandeur when we got in the Mississippi you could hear cell phones ringing. It was quite annoying and I wanted to throw them overboard. Forget the save the waves program!!

Frankly, this isn't any better than the airlines considering allowing cell phone usage on planes . . . come on folks, not everywhere you go do others want or care to hear your personal information!

I understand the "need" for cell phones, but they certainly don't belong everywhere. I guess if you needed to use the phone in your state room - more power to you, but if I'm enjoying my vacation, do I want to hear your phone ring? Nope, don't think so. If I'm on an airplane do I want to be in the middle seat with 2 other strangers using their phones - absolutely not!

Come on--time and place!

I have never been on a cruise but I do feel that since Cell phones have become a "necessity" our manners have gone out the window as well as our driving habits. My Mom is famous for calling my home and if I don't answer right away call my cell phone and she will keep calling it until I answer becuase I need to be "handy" at all times. (both of my parents are healthy). I came out of a movie last week with 5 missed calls from her. I hate cell phones for this reason you shouldn't be accessible at all times and especially not on a cruise. Also, this is many peoples break from work if their boss knows that they can reach them whats to stop them from bothering you while on vcation.

Really part of the thing that drew me to a cruise is the lack of outside contact other than in emergencies.

I agree that I don't want to hear cell phones ringing all over the ship but it will be nice to call my children and check on my dog while I'm away. I would only use the cell in my cabin or a deserted part of the ship. I'm afraid common courtesy has gone by the wayside in this country. Manners and politeness have given way to rudeness.

I have been away at resorts where cel phones are allowed and I don't ever remember being particularly disturbed by people talking on a cel phone ... at least not any more than I would be disturbed by people talking to people around them.

I for one think that this will make it easier for us to cruise. If we leave the kids at home with their grandparents, the grandparents will have an easier time reaching us if there is a problem. It will also make it easier for us to leave work because our clients/offices can reach us if there is a problem. One of the reasons we do not cruise as often as we would like to is because it is hard for us to get away to a place where we cannot be reached. The other thing this will do is make it easier for those who have blackberrys (which are silent) to use them to get email to/from the important people in their lives.

I know the reason we go on vacation is to get away from it all. Unfortunately, for those of us that are professionals, we have responsibilities to clients to whom we have to come back. You just can't walk away from their problems and leave them hanging while you are on vacation. :cool:

I haven't been on a cruise since the cell phone "invention", so I don't have strong opinions on how bad the interruptions can be. However, my husband is the owner of his own business, and he usually has important decisions to make each day. It's necessary for him to be in touch often throughout the day.

We realized as we booked our upcoming 7-night cruise that that's not going to possible. We're assuming we can call from St. Thomas and St. Maarten on pay phones. Is that correct? His workers don't have to call him, but he needs to call his employees.

Because of the precarious health of family members of many travelers, there should be a way to keep in touch. Cell phones may not be the answer, but what is?

judy

Judy:

I called my brother in St. Maarten from the pier using a credit card......my call was about 10 minutes and got the bill and it was $52:eek: Our cell phone worked in San Juan and St. Thomas and there was no additional charge.....just my minutes under my plan.......cell phone was necessary on this as Mom had fallen and fractured a cheek bone back in the states..........I might add the follow up call on the sea day from our cabin was around $50 as well........

There are times cell phones for emergencies can have a place.....

I think it is a great idea, part of teh enjoyment of cruising for my DH and myself is being able to be away from our kids and have alone time with each other. Even though i leave my boys with my parents whom i trust totally i would not be able to truly relax and enjoy my cruise if i did not have the comfort of knowing that they could call me if there was a problem and i could call and check on them daily to make sure they wer ok. While i have always been able to use my phone in ports that i go to the days at sea have always been a concerne especially when there are 2 or 3 in a row so this would be a great advantage for us...

I know the reason we go on vacation is to get away from it all. Unfortunately, for those of us that are professionals, we have responsibilities to clients to whom we have to come back. You just can't walk away from their problems and leave them hanging while you are on vacation. :cool:

I wonder if those same customers would mind if you interupted their vacation? I think the line has to be drawn somewhere, and I am a business owner, so I guess that makes me a professional as well. I do make time for myself, away from my customers, and whatever issues there are, although rare, will still be there when I get back on my customer service schedule. It's the whole reason I started my own business, to be my own boss. Don't get me wrong I am all about customer service, but after hours, is just that. My vacation is no different. I am goin to get away from business.

Isujim...thanks for the phone call info. Wow, hubby better really need to talk to his employees at those prices! Glad to know cell phone works on the islands...hope ours works, too. That would be great. For some reason, I doubted it would.

Thanks again, Judy

I was planning on brining mine anyway and using it in ports to check on my 3 young girls. When we were on the VOS 5 years ago I spent over $150 between calling from the ship and using calling cards. That was way to much for us and the main reason we just switched from Nextel to Cingular.

We always tell them when we will call them so I know that it will not be ringing nor would I take it out of my cabin other than in port.

I'll vote for pitching the phone overboard and they can be thankful they weren't attached to it. I use my phone a lot too, but I always move to some area away from everyone else and keep it short. I also have been known to hang up on people or not answer if I'm talking to somebody else. It's just a phone, for cryin' out loud. And on a cruise? Sheesh. It would be different if it went "Hello? Oh, Jeez. Try direct pressure to stop the bleeding..." etc, but 99.99% of phone conversations (including mine) are so inane that humanity should not have to be subjected to them.

I'm glad I'm not that important. The world can get along just fine without me. This is what I believe and my wife will back me up on that.... :D

I'll vote for pitching the phone overboard and they can be thankful they weren't attached to it. I use my phone a lot too, but I always move to some area away from everyone else and keep it short. I also have been known to hang up on people or not answer if I'm talking to somebody else. It's just a phone, for cryin' out loud. And on a cruise? Sheesh. It would be different if it went "Hello? Oh, Jeez. Try direct pressure to stop the bleeding..." etc, but 99.99% of phone conversations (including mine) are so inane that humanity should not have to be subjected to them.
I'm glad I'm not that important. The world can get along just fine without me. This is what I believe and my wife will back me up on that....
Mike: When are you cruising? I would love to cruise with you - our philosophies of life seem to be exactly in sync! ;)

Carol

Rant-On.gif

As for us, if we're in an RCI (or Celebrity) dining room and a cell phone rings, we will immediately get up and leave, telling the waiter why and that we'll try again tomorrow. I encourage others to do the same in order to give RCI the message. Although I fear that other lines will follow with this ridiculous 'enhancement', we'll at least try to steer clear of the ones that don't have some kind of sane rules for them.... and ENFORCE them.

Rant-Off.gif

Unfortunately, for those of us that are professionals, we have responsibilities to clients to whom we have to come back. You just can't walk away from their problems and leave them hanging while you are on vacation.

Since I don't need my cellphone on vacation, does that mean I'm not a professional? Wish I had known that before I wasted all of that time getting 2 college degrees......

I am getting the sense that this is starting to turn into a flame war against people, like me, who need to be in contact while on a cruise. It is uncalled for and a debate is unnecessary.

However, keep in mind the next time you are in trouble and need to get ahold of your doctor or lawyer pretty quickly, that you would be pretty unhappy if they were away on vacation with the attitude that your problem will just have to wait until they get back.

In fact, licensed professionals can and do lose their licenses for having that attitude ...

It's all about courtesy people. I really don't have a problem with cell phones UNLESS they disrupt me! If I am lounging by the pool, watching a show, participating in an activity, enjoying a meal at ANY venue - if a cell phone rings (why is it not on vibrate) and the person does not excuse themselves from the immediate area, I will be VERY upset!!! I will immediately seek the appropriate staff and ask them to remove the person on the cell phone from that area. If you want to call from your cabin or on a deserted deck, fine. I, and everyone else do NOT need to hear your personal conversations, whether they be business, pets or family!

I did read on Cruise News Daily that RCCL is going to establish "rules" for cell phone use (like they do for other passenger behaviors.) They will be printed in the Guest Information booklet that is in your stateroom. Break a rule once, it will be pointed out to you....break it again - suffer the consequences. I hope RCCL has the balls to enforce their decided policy.

Archived